ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Funny Stuff New Conference re-alignment thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=249847)

Jerm 10-06-2011 10:54 AM

I just find it funny and ironic that out of all the schools rumored to be invited, it's another Texas school that gets the first invite.

Boy that should make Mizzou feel secure now...

HolyHandgernade 10-06-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7972230)
Wrong.

"What it means is that TCU could be out of the Big East before it ever officially joins. According to two college officials, it would be an easy departure for the Horned Frogs, since they would only have to pay a $5 million exit fee and aren’t bound by the 27-month waiting period penalty unless they are Big East members as of July 1."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in..._tcu_befo.html

My apologies, I was going off old information and just woken up, so I hadn't read all the new details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7972230)
Wrong. TCU has never been under consideration for joining the SEC.

I never said that, so you can **** off too.

ChiefsCountry 10-06-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 7972235)
I just find it funny and ironic that out of all the schools rumored to be invited, it's another Texas school that gets the first invite.

TCU is the cleanest one to invite first. They are already out the door at the MWC and haven't even been in the Big East yet. BYU would have issues with getting out of the WCC.

Saulbadguy 10-06-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 7972245)
My apologies, I was going off old information and just woken up, so I hadn't read all the new details.

I never said that, so you can **** off too.

Just stay out of this thread. You are obviously too far away from reality to make a valuable contribution.

HolyHandgernade 10-06-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7972253)
Just stay out of this thread. You are obviously too far away from reality to make a valuable contribution.

Suck my cock.

mnchiefsguy 10-06-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 7972251)
TCU is the cleanest one to invite first. They are already out the door at the MWC and haven't even been in the Big East yet. BYU would have issues with getting out of the WCC.

BYU is already out of the WCC in football, I can't imagine it would be that hard to get out of there for its remaining sports as well.

mikeyis4dcats. 10-06-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 7972235)

like A&M, TCU has lived in UT's shadow and will not toe their party line. I view this as a GOOD thing. Before it was always said UT would never allow another Texas school, especially a strong one like TCU. OU was the one pushing for TCU.

ChiefsCountry 10-06-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 7972261)
BYU is already out of the WCC in football, I can't imagine it would be that hard to get out of there for its remaining sports as well.

You are thinking of the MWC. WCC is the league where BYU just parked the rest of their sports just joined this year. Its the home of Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

HolyHandgernade 10-06-2011 11:06 AM

If the Big East is going to be a stickler about the 27 month rule, perhaps the Big XII strategy is to invite Louisville and then bring BYU in with them, just in time for the 1st Tier contract negotiations. Adding TCU now ensures the current 10 team agreement for the 2nd Tier isn't altered until that time.

mikeyis4dcats. 10-06-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 7972269)
If the Big East is going to be a stickler about the 27 month rule, perhaps the Big XII strategy is to invite Louisville and then bring BYU in with them, just in time for the 1st Tier contract negotiations. Adding TCU now ensures the current 10 team agreement for the 2nd Tier isn't altered until that time.

they aren't subject to the 27mo rule. Maybe you should head over to Tigerboard....

mnchiefsguy 10-06-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 7972268)
You are thinking of the MWC. WCC is the league where BYU just parked the rest of their sports just joined this year. Its the home of Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

Would the exit fees be that bad though, considering no football is involved?

HolyHandgernade 10-06-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7972274)
they aren't subject to the 27mo rule. Maybe you should head over to Tigerboard....

I'm talking about Louisville, not TCU.

mnchiefsguy 10-06-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 7972281)
I'm talking about Louisville, not TCU.

The only reason TCU gets out of the rule is that there is a clause in their contract, they can get out before July 1 with only the 5 million dollar penalty. If TCU actually starts play in the Big East, then they would be subject to the 27 month penalty that the rest of schools are subject too.

Big East Commish was saying they were going to make Syracuse and Pitt play for the full 27 months. Would the Big East treat Louisville any differently?

Saulbadguy 10-06-2011 11:21 AM

http://cjonline.com/sports/2011-10-0...u#.To3jpfJH5yU

Quote:

Kansas State president Kirk Schulz, chairman of the Big 12 expansion committee, confirmed the league has voted to invite TCU as a 10th member.

"(TCU) fits well within our conference profile," Schulz said in a telephone interview. "This represents a tremendous addition to the Big 12."

The Big 12 later confirmed the move, saying it was approved by unanimous vote by the league's board of directors. Missouri, which announced plans to explore its conference affiliation, abstained.

"Obviously, we are very interested in Missouri staying in the Big 12," Schulz said. "We think the addition of TCU shows some stability. Bringing a team in this region into this league is critical."

Schulz said the league had not yet reached a consensus on whether to pursue future expansion or stay with 10 teams.

"I think we are continuing to deliberate and watch the conference landscape," Schulz said.

Schulz did say the league's board of directors would need to reach a decision "relatively soon" on how many members to add.

From K-State's standpoint, there's an argument for both a 10- and 12-team league, Schulz said.

"I think we've got some parts of us like the championship game and like the North-South format," Schulz said. "There's some places within the university at K-State that believes that. I also think there's some particular groups that love the fact we're playing every school in the league, making the championship determination on the field.

"As K-State president, I'm not sure I have a strong personal feeling on whether we should be 10, 12 or some other number yet."

Schulz indicated the league's expansion committee would remain active as the Big 12 ponders its next move. Cultural fit has been the priority when assessing expansion candidates, he said.

"I think we want to continue to find schools that we think will culturally fit within the Midwest," Schulz said. "That doesn't mean you can't grab schools from the east or the west, but I think they have to be universities that we feel fit with the other schools in our region, both athletically and academically."

TCU certainly fits the profile. The Horned Frogs have become a football power, winning the Rose Bowl last season, and their baseball team is a perennial contender for the College World Series. Located in Fort Worth, TCU also presents manageable travel for non-revenue sports.

TCU was set to join the Big East next season.

"They certainly have very competitive athletic programs," Schulz said. "They fit well within our conference footprint. For non-revenue sports, our fan base, travel into the Dallas-Fort Worth, it's very convenient."

mnchiefsguy 10-06-2011 11:25 AM

Here are a couple of interesting links...the first one is a football forum post, so take it for what it is worth. The second is a Mike DeArmond article for campus corner, and seems pretty solid.

http://gridironhistory.com/forums/index.php?topic=355.0

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2109