ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

Rausch 11-23-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPioliSatan (Post 9143851)
Not me. I'm seeing "Black Elway". Kind of like Issac Hayes was Black Moses, yes.

:spock:

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-23-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9143861)
:spock:

Any and all Geno films must herefore contain the theme from Shaft.

This I decree.

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9143853)
Only dumb**** TV analysts compare him to RGIII. I agree that they're COMPLETELY different players.

Yup.

The point I'm bringing up in this thread is geno has to succeed in the pocket. Like any rookie, he is going to have a steep learning curve where a guy with athleticism can either use his legs to take off or to extend plays. And geno is going to have to do this despite a fairly limited background as a pocket passer in a complex nfl offense where he is going to have to make lightning quick, smart decisions that aren't predetermined by the playcall. It takes a leap of faith to believe geno has the football iq and work ethic to do that really major development. I think he does in spades which is why I think he's a great #1.

But this is the qb position. You either layup and take a Barkley or hell, even a tannehill, or you go for the raw guy with the high ceiling and develop the guy up. I'm all in on the latter.

RealSNR 11-23-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9143675)

It's because people set these ridiculous expectations. I want the chiefs to draft geno. I expect him to struggle a lot early. Not Andrew luck "I'm going to struggle every now and then." I think it might take 2 or 3 years to grow into the role. Because he isn't as nfl ready as so many people here want to pretend he is. I knew luck and rgIII would produce right away.

Geno won't be given that much time by this franchise, sadly. No QB ever will. Not in this day and age.

If he struggles like Blaine Gabbert, he'll be toast, and KC will either look for a new prospect in the draft or they'll hand the torch to their slapdick veteran they signed.

He needs to have success in his first two years, which he can absolutely do. I htink you're overblowing how much he'll struggle when he enters the league. A guy that smart with that much potential for an arm doesn't just sit there and suck dick for that long.

He'll have an Andrew Luck-type rookie season. Several good games, and several putrid ones. That's a fair statement, wouldn't you say?

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9143871)
Geno won't be given that much time by this franchise, sadly. No QB ever will. Not in this day and age.

If he struggles like Blaine Gabbert, he'll be toast, and KC will either look for a new prospect in the draft or they'll hand the torch to their slapdick veteran they signed.

He needs to have success in his first two years, which he can absolutely do. I htink you're overblowing how much he'll struggle when he enters the league. A guy that smart with that much potential for an arm doesn't just sit there and suck dick for that long.

He'll have an Andrew Luck-type rookie season. Several good games, and several putrid ones. That's a fair statement, wouldn't you say?

You're talking to a guy that is preaching for people to be patient about Poe. And that pushes against people who have definitively said that stanzi is complete garbage because he had bad preseason snaps.

For as much shit as I get for poking holes, I do it because chiefs planet sets such unrealistic expectations for a qb then turns on him 2 months after when he has a 3 int game. I'm in for geno and I won't judge him until about midway into year 2. My track record is extremely consistent on that.

RealSNR 11-23-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9143875)
You're talking to a guy that is preaching for people to be patient about Poe. And that pushes against people who have definitively said that stanzi is complete garbage because he had bad preseason snaps.

For as much shit as I get for poking holes, I do it because chiefs planet sets such unrealistic expectations for a qb then turns on him 2 months after when he has a 3 int game. I'm in for geno and I won't judge him until about midway into year 2. My track record is extremely consistent on that.

I hated Poe from the beginning, but that's neither here nor there.

As long as Geno Smith showed flashes of brilliance and improvement, I'd be patient with him as long as it takes. Two, three, possibly even four years. His first year he can do whatever he wants. That's his time to REALLY make mistakes and get used to the game. But NFL fans should expect to see gradual, tiny steps of improvement in year 2 and so on.

And even if he didn't improve like that, he should also be given his entire second year as a starter to learn the game from experience.

It's in his third year where some strides should be shown. But he doesn't have to be perfect even then, at least in my book.

But the NFL is a business, and we'll see how patient the Chiefs really are.

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9143887)

As long as Geno Smith showed flashes of brilliance and improvement, I'd be patient with him as long as it takes. Two, three, possibly even four years. His first year he can do whatever he wants. That's his time to REALLY make mistakes and get used to the game. But NFL fans should expect to see gradual, tiny steps of improvement in year 2 and so on.

And even if he didn't improve like that, he should also be given his entire second year as a starter to learn the game from experience.

It's in his third year where some strides should be shown. But he doesn't have to be perfect even then, at least in my book.

It's ok to hate Poe. It's another thing that people call him a bust.

Chris Meck 11-23-2012 12:57 PM

I don't think there's any way that Geno Smith is more of a project that....say...Cam Newton was. At least not as a passer. I think it could work, and work quickly with the right coaching staff and system in place.

The Bad Guy 11-23-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9143887)

C'mon now. You'd be as patient as long as it takes?

That's bullshit.

I know you have the worlds biggest erection for this guy, but if he's not making big improvements and leading this team to wins by year 3 at the latest, you aren't giving him an endless rope. It doesn't take players that can play 3 years to impact the NFL anymore. If he's thrown into the fire immediately, he should be making strides long before year 3.

Woodchuck 11-23-2012 01:08 PM

I heard another interesting negative about Geno this week. He won't throw the ball in tight windows. It's true and if you watch the tape you will see. He won't pull the trigger. This is a major concern with scouts because half the throws in the NFL are into tight windows.

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9144010)
I don't think there's any way that Geno Smith is more of a project that....say...Cam Newton was. At least not as a passer. I think it could work, and work quickly with the right coaching staff and system in place.

Cam is a bigger project, but he was more set up for immediate success because he can win games with his legs.

I would rather the long term guy who struggles early like geno than a guy like cam who wins games in a way that is less likely to win the games that matter a few years down the road.

Sorter 11-23-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9143869)
Yup.

The point I'm bringing up in this thread is geno has to succeed in the pocket. Like any rookie, he is going to have a steep learning curve where a guy with athleticism can either use his legs to take off or to extend plays. And geno is going to have to do this despite a fairly limited background as a pocket passer in a complex nfl offense where he is going to have to make lightning quick, smart decisions that aren't predetermined by the playcall. It takes a leap of faith to believe geno has the football iq and work ethic to do that really major development. I think he does in spades which is why I think he's a great #1.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/20ff404.jpg

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsponge Chuckpants (Post 9144030)
I heard another interesting negative about Geno this week. He won't throw the ball in tight windows. It's true and if you watch the tape you will see. He won't pull the trigger. This is a major concern with scouts because half the throws in the NFL are into tight windows.

Doesn't, won't, and can't are three different things.

Can he? He has the accuracy and arm strength to.
Will he? He can be coached into doing it.
Does he? The better question is does he have to? Why throw into tight windows if you're having tons of success throwing in less tight windows. And besides, I've seen him make plenty of passes in tight windows.

I don't worry about this one bit.

Buckweath 11-23-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

So that deep throw to a receiver between three defenders was not in a tight window? And look, Geno Smith is having a great season, if ever it held to be true that he doesn't throw into tight windows, it might be because at this point he doesn't need to.

RunKC 11-23-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

You're kidding right?

Geno has thrown in tight windows his whole career..