ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

duncan_idaho 08-08-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9867652)
Good for Shelby, but I'm always wary of any Cardinal injury. Our training staff is completely incompetent and has been for as long as I can recall. If only someone could slice Westbrook's UCL in his sleep. Today's start is must-see.

This made me think of watching Scott Rolen start crying after taking a swing at the plate (post-labrum or whatever). As I recall, he had been completely cleared to play by the Cardinals training staff in that instance.

duncan_idaho 08-08-2013 11:04 AM

What are the current thoughts on Oscar Taveras? I am seeing some Cardinals fans who now are pro-trade for Taveras.

I think they're crazy...

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-08-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9867877)
What are the current thoughts on Oscar Taveras? I am seeing some Cardinals fans who now are pro-trade for Taveras.

I think they're crazy...

Anyone who wants to trade Taveras should be spayed or neutered. Wil Myers, who was not the minor league hitter that Taveras is, is looking like a 5-6 WAR player right now.

Are there more than five players who could give you more surplus value than what Taveras looks to provide?

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-08-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9867868)
This made me think of watching Scott Rolen start crying after taking a swing at the plate (post-labrum or whatever). As I recall, he had been completely cleared to play by the Cardinals training staff in that instance.

They've been horrific for as long as I've been actively watching them. All through the LaRussa years our players (sans Albert) were always out longer than initially expected. They were frequently misdiagnosed, and the pitchers broke down at an absolutely preposterous rate.

IMO, that's the one organizational weakness.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-08-2013 02:20 PM

RH power bats that are out there:

Jason Bay
Mark Reynolds.

We could really use that pop off the bench.

BigRedChief 08-08-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9867321)
So they're thinking miller won't miss any time.

@Cardinals: RHP Carlos Martinez will be recalled from Memphis (AAA) to make start tomorrow in series finale vs. Dodgers.

you were wanting him to be fresh for the playoffs. Now you have the perfect excuse to rest him a start or two.

Especially if Martinez pitched 5-to 6 good innings.

BigRedChief 08-08-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9868339)
Anyone who wants to trade Taveras should be spayed or neutered. Wil Myers, who was not the minor league hitter that Taveras is, is looking like a 5-6 WAR player right now.

Are there more than five players who could give you more surplus value than what Taveras looks to provide?

I know but before the season the Profar trade was looking good. RF/1B could be played by Beltran/Craig/Adams

But now Jay has to go, Freese has to go. Holliday is in decline. We need Taveras's offense and play CF.

Pepe Silvia 08-08-2013 07:05 PM

**** the Dodgers and **** this Ryu guy.

O.city 08-08-2013 07:11 PM

So I'm not watching live, but it seems the dodgers have had a shit ton of infield singles already

Mi_chief_fan 08-08-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9869187)
So I'm not watching live, but it seems the dodgers have had a shit ton of infield singles already

Yes, they've really not hit anything hard, he's got in on Dodger hitters consistantly. Just bad luck.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-08-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9869187)

Absolutely preposterous. Of their five hits, one was hit mildly solid, and even that was just a slap hit to the opposite field.

We got ours back, though. Ethier dropped the ball as he took it out of his glove, then lackadaisically tossed it into the IF, over the 2B's head. It then hit off the corner of the base, shot into left field, and Holliday scored during the confusion.

Martinez's command has been spotty at times, but I don't think Johnson is calling nearly enough curveballs. It's a plus-plus pitch, he's getting to two strikes on almost everyone, and he's just having him throw two or four seamers every time.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-08-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9869024)
I know but before the season the Profar trade was looking good. RF/1B could be played by Beltran/Craig/Adams

But now Jay has to go, Freese has to go. Holliday is in decline. We need Taveras's offense and play CF.

I never supported that idea. FWIW, WAR is a good metric over the course of a season, but I'll always take the 6 WAR RF in a clutch AB over a 6 WAR SS.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-08-2013 07:41 PM

Another grounder that finds a hole :facepalm:

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-08-2013 07:46 PM

****!!

These mother****ers just have our number. Ellis is a worthless shitbag. Giving up a HR to that two bit ****stain is killer.

L.A. Chieffan 08-08-2013 07:46 PM

A.J.!