ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Albert/Joeckel perspective (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272267)

Hammock Parties 04-20-2013 01:53 PM

There's not going to be a new trend. It's not happening. It never happens.

philfree 04-20-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9607437)
There's not going to be a new trend. It's not happening. It never happens.

We'll see.

patteeu 04-20-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9607249)
Not top 10 is middle third is average.

Not really. If someone actually said "not top 10", they could have meant average or they could have meant something else (bottom of the barrel, above or below average, etc.). If that person actually meant average, they probably would have just said "average".

The people who don't think Albert was in the top 10 aren't the people who are usually using the broad brush of thirds. It's the people who realize that Albert was probably closer to 10 than he was to 1 who use that broad brush in order to associate him with the best tackles in the business by saying "top 10" or "top 5-10". Based on my extensive CP research into the subject, people who don't think Albert was in the top 10, usually think he was just outside the top 10, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone say he's 10-20th or anything like that. I don't read every post though, so maybe i'm wrong.

RealSNR 04-20-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9607253)
Here's hoping for a new trend and the Chiefs actually benefitting from it. You know there have been a few good QBs come out of the 2nd and 3rd round the past couple of years so maybe it will continue.

The percentages are even lower than they are for QBs coming out of the first round. Why don't we for once choose the course of action that is most likely to generate a franchise QB for this ****ing team? Why do we always have to try to find this guy in the middle and late rounds? You don't get bonus points for drafting QBs that way.

RealSNR 04-20-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9607779)
Not really. If someone actually said "not top 10", they could have meant average or they could have meant something else (bottom of the barrel, above or below average, etc.). If that person actually meant average, they probably would have just said "average".

You're so adorable

patteeu 04-20-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9607795)
You're so adorable

I can't wait until we either take Geno or don't take him so we can get back to being like brothers.

RealSNR 04-20-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9607813)
I can't wait until we either take Geno or don't take him so we can get back to being like brothers.

The Chiefs have turned me into a hateful person. I have little patience for GMs who like to clown around for awhile and don't bother to actually build a team the right way.

patteeu 04-20-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9607832)
The Chiefs have turned me into a hateful person. I have little patience for GMs who like to clown around for awhile and don't bother to actually build a team the right way.

If Geno is the pick, all will be well. And if he isn't, a little bit of Alex Smith magic will cure what ails you this fall. And if it doesn't, you'll have plenty of people calling for a bold QB move next year. We'll pull through this together.

keg in kc 04-20-2013 03:02 PM

The only Alex Smith magic we're ever going to see is when he finally disappears.

patteeu 04-20-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9607854)
The only Alex Smith magic we're ever going to see is when he finally disappears.

:LOL: Nice.

RealSNR 04-20-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9607850)
If Geno is the pick, all will be well. And if he isn't, a little bit of Alex Smith magic will cure what ails you this fall. And if it doesn't, you'll have plenty of people calling for a bold QB move next year. We'll pull through this together.

I'll do as much football forum cyber brotherhood gay shit with you as you want when we draft a damn QB.

I've been burned too many times by the alternate plan to not take the hard line.

patteeu 04-20-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9607857)
I'll do as much football forum cyber brotherhood gay shit with you as you want when we draft a damn QB.

I've been burned too many times by the alternate plan to not take the hard line.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... you're getting the wrong idea here.

philfree 04-20-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9607792)
The percentages are even lower than they are for QBs coming out of the first round. Why don't we for once choose the course of action that is most likely to generate a franchise QB for this ****ing team? Why do we always have to try to find this guy in the middle and late rounds? You don't get bonus points for drafting QBs that way.

Yeah I think everyone knows the percentages at this point. And I don't know why the Chiefs haven't ever drafted their franchise QB either but I'm pretty sure I do know that we aren't drafting Geno Smith of any other QB #1 this year. In the end I hope Reid and Dorsey's evaluations are right and whatever they do actually works out. :shrug: Call me crazy.

RealSNR 04-20-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9607861)
Whoa, whoa, whoa... you're getting the wrong idea here.

Fine. I was going to invite you over to Pawnmower's place, but now I guess that's not going to happen. :harumph:

keg in kc 04-20-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9607862)
Yeah I think everyone knows the percentages at this point. And I don't know why the Chiefs haven't ever drafted their franchise QB either but I'm pretty sure I do know that we aren't drafting Geno Smith of any other QB #1 this year. In the end I hope Reid and Dorsey's evaluations are right and whatever they do actually works out. :shrug: Call me crazy.

Take Geno out of the equation and just talk about tackles. It's about a return on investment. Let's throw reality out the door and postulate that a middling prospect like Joeckel/Fisher could end up being the best LT in the game. The return on the investment is still limited, because it's a position that can a) be filled without much of a decline in quality from a lower draft position (see: well, nearly every LT in the league) and b) has minimal direct impact on the outcome of games. There's a reason you've never heard the term "playmaking LT". That's not to say it isn't an important position. It certainly is. But it's not a position that you should ever draft #1. And definitely not when you're talking about players who, put simply, just aren't stars.

The hilarious irony is that we're in the process of trading our left tackle to the last team to draft a left tackle at 1, all of 6 years ago. Which is probably exactly what we'll do in 5 or 6 years, despite all this talk about "Joeckel's just 21! He can be a cornerstone for a decade!!" And he's not even close to the player Jake Long was coming out.