ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Fruit Juice....just as bad for you as soda. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281443)

Mr. Laz 02-12-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 10430500)
Fruit Juice....just as bad for you as soda.

I stated this about a month or so ago in the "which is the best juicer to buy".

A complete waste of calories and the sugar content is usually sky high. In many cases it costs about $2 to make a single glass of juice with the need for so much fruit.

Plus trying to absorb vitamins by drinking them is so inefficient.

where is your proof?/Silock

Dayze 02-12-2014 08:27 PM

:banghead:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10430501)
You mean the Kool-aid that you're supposed to dump a cup of processed sugar into?

:p

...wait a minute. only a cup?

....I've made a horrible mistake.

Baby Lee 02-12-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10430503)
have you tried Tazo's Mint Green Tea? Holy shit I love that stuff. I bought a big case of it a Costco, on a whim. Fell in love with it. Next time we went, I bought 2 cases. But since then, they haven't had it. I'll usually get a couple at the store though. Outstanding.

I've probably had every variety of Tazo, Itoen and Honest out there. At least every one offered at Whole Foods, that Organic Store off 470/291 and 70, or that occasionally makes it to Big Lots. Don't have a strong memory of Tazo's mint. I do like Honest Tea's First Nation Mint, though.

If I had to pick a favorite, it'd probably Itoen's toasted green tea, called Oi Ocha. It's so definitely tea, but the toasting of the tea leaves makes it different from any other tea you might get.

http://images.iherb.com/l/ITO-00139-3.jpg

Garcia Bronco 02-12-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10430031)
It depends upon what you are trying to address...trying to get more vitamins/minerals in your diet probably a good thing.

Trying to cut calories for dietary....not so much....liquid calories are liquid calories(especially liquid simple sugars). What makes them the debbil is that they're so easy to drink a lot and not realize it(because you don't get the 'full' sensation like you do with solid foods).

This. I have no more than 4 ounces a day.

Baby Lee 02-12-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 10430543)
This. I have no more than 4 ounces a day.

He's talking about liquid sugars, not your liquid protein. ;)

Silock 02-12-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10430494)
I haven't seen any concrete evidence that smoking crack every day is bad either

I already posted an article from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition doing a research review of HFCS. The evidence just isn't there. This article doesn't say if the diet was controlled for calories or if they just added extra juice to their existing diets. Both are huge factors.

Believe what you want, but avoiding fruit isn't going to make you healthy.

Silock 02-12-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10430505)
where is your proof?/Silock

Don't be that guy.

Fire Me Boy! 02-12-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 10430500)
Fruit Juice....just as bad for you as soda.

I stated this about a month or so ago in the "which is the best juicer to buy".

A complete waste of calories and the sugar content is usually sky high. In many cases it costs about $2 to make a single glass of juice with the need for so much fruit.

Plus trying to absorb vitamins by drinking them is so inefficient.

Yep. That's why the blender is better. You get the fiber and all that comes in the flesh too.

CrazyPhuD 02-12-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10430470)
That's because there's still no solid scientific evidence that it's anything bad except in the general sense of too many calories, no matter if it's natural or processed or HFCS.

Nobody got ****ing fat eating fruit or drinking ****ing juice alone.

Actually the paper is saying that people got fatter(or at least expanded their waistlines) due to drinking ~16 oz of fruit juice a day.

Quote:

In one scientific trial, for example, it was shown that, despite having a high antioxidant content, the consumption of half a litre of grape juice per day for three months actually increased insulin resistance and waist circumference in overweight adults.
Eating fruit is mostly different because they tend to be loaded with fiber which slows down the digestive process reducing the impact of the sugar rush/sugar crash that too much available simple sugars cause.

When you make juice from fruits you strip out all of that good fiber that delays digestion. What you are left with is a drink full of simple sugars with nothing to slow down absorption. Sugar water is Sugar water whether it came from a fruit or HFCS.

Fruit drinks may have some benefits from the vitamins/minerals but they are loaded with sugar.

Hell here's a welch's grape juice label.

http://www.quitehealthy.com/nutritio...belL439621.gif

and here's the v8 label made from vegetables(I know neither is the best product but a decent example).

http://411nutrition.files.wordpress....breakdown2.jpg

CrazyPhuD 02-12-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10430553)
I already posted an article from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition doing a research review of HFCS. The evidence just isn't there. This article doesn't say if the diet was controlled for calories or if they just added extra juice to their existing diets. Both are huge factors.

Believe what you want, but avoiding fruit isn't going to make you healthy.

The point isn't about avoiding fruit....the point is if you start to have discussions about taxing sugary drinks you can't just write exceptions for sugary drinks that you like.

If governments feel like taxing sugary drinks to try to fight obesity fine...but you have to include other high sugar drinks too like fruit juices.

The science and frankly the logic is there that anything liquid that is LOADED with simple sugars is going to contribute to excess calorie consumption and insulin resistance. Fruits aren't magical that you can make them into a concentrated juice and you won't get fat no matter how much you drink.

Vegetable juices are worlds better than fruit juices because they aren't loaded with all the calories...even though vegetable juice....like fruit juice...is a poor substitute for actually eating the servings of fruits and vegetables you should have. The very processing to make juice(at least on a commercial level) rips out much of the health benefits of the base plant.

HonestChieffan 02-12-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10430095)
I guess I will stick with beer.

That and 60 ounces of fruit juice will make you shit through a screen door. Beer much better.

J Diddy 02-12-2014 09:38 PM

Shortly thereafter they released the belief that sex sometimes leads to babies.

BigRichard 02-12-2014 09:53 PM

So what you are telling me is that if I intake more calories then I output then I get fat right? Thanks for the science there guys. JFC

Silock 02-12-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10430572)
Actually the paper is saying that people got fatter(or at least expanded their waistlines) due to drinking ~16 oz of fruit juice a day.

Find me the paper. The article certainly implies that's what it said, but without the full study of what he was quoting, we're just playing a giant game of "Telephone" with regard to the content of the paper.

Quote:

Fruit drinks may have some benefits from the vitamins/minerals but they are loaded with sugar.
So are a million other things. That's not the point.

Quote:

The point isn't about avoiding fruit....the point is if you start to have discussions about taxing sugary drinks you can't just write exceptions for sugary drinks that you like.
I'm not. That's not at all what I said or what I'm getting at. I'm not making exceptions for anything. I'm simply saying that one thing isn't entirely bad nor is it really substantially different from the other in the long term.

Quote:

The science and frankly the logic is there that anything liquid that is LOADED with simple sugars is going to contribute to excess calorie consumption and insulin resistance. Fruits aren't magical that you can make them into a concentrated juice and you won't get fat no matter how much you drink.
Key word: EXCESS calorie consumption.

This demonization of food and certain food groups is abso****inglutely OUT OF CONTROL.

I'll post this again, simply because it needs to be read. Even though it's mainly focused on HFCS, there's a lot of good info about other sugars and carbohydrates, as well.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/6/1716S.full

There is room in a person's diet for anything they want to have, whether that's soda, ice cream, fruit juice, pixie sticks or orange marmalade. It's all about portion control and understanding how these foods fit in to the larger picture of one's diet. I have serious issues with how this article/thread is worded because it assumes that soda is inherently bad for you and if fruit juice is as bad as soda, then it's inherently bad, too. That's just not true.

Overconsumption is bad. That's the devil. It's not the X food/drink.

ghak99 02-12-2014 10:08 PM

I'm constantly surprised by whatever label I read out of boredom when getting a glass of juice. I often end up wondering "was that really good for me" after slamming it like it's air and getting another glass because the first one did nothing for me.

Simple calorie math says it's not, but until recently I wasn't get much fruit any other way.:shrug: