ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU KU ticket scandal (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228690)

teedubya 05-26-2010 12:27 PM

Here's the official investigation report. First impressions, 17,000 MBB tix, 2000 FB tix, $1.03M face vaue: http://bit.ly/dyOtSA

Titty Meat 05-26-2010 12:30 PM

IS KU still o probabtion for the academics thing a few years ago?

DJ's left nut 05-26-2010 12:38 PM

The father of a relatively important player being involved in ticket scapling of tickets with over $1 million in face value is certainly not something I'd be taking lightly if I were a KU fan.

You guys are being a lot more cavalier about this than I would be.

Good for you, I guess.

Tactical Funky 05-26-2010 12:47 PM

This is a criminal investigation and likely won't lead to NCAA sanctions. Still, it's infuriating that this went on for so long and screwed over plenty of WEF donors. Jones and the Pump brothers are complete scum. And Roger Morningstar, WTF? It's not like you didn't already have a ton of money...

We'll have to see if the allegations made by Jones towards Morningstar are true, however.

:shake:

kstater 05-26-2010 03:29 PM

Here's the Law firm KU hired to do an independent investigation:

Foulston Siefkin LLP

Partners:

Stan Andeel- Partner ku undergrad

James M. Armstrong – Partner ku Undergrad, ku JD

Gary L. Ayers – Partner-Partner ku undegrad, ku JD

Brooke Bennett Aziere – Partner ku JD

Mark A. Biberstein – Partner ku JD

Holly A. Dyer – Partner ku JD

Charles P. Efflandt – Partner ku JD

Jay F. Fowler – Partner ku JD

Saulbadguy 05-26-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 6782355)
Here's the Law firm KU hired to do an independent investigation:

Foulston Siefkin LLP

Partners:

Stan Andeel- Partner ku undergrad

James M. Armstrong – Partner ku Undergrad, ku JD

Gary L. Ayers – Partner-Partner ku undegrad, ku JD

Brooke Bennett Aziere – Partner ku JD

Mark A. Biberstein – Partner ku JD

Holly A. Dyer – Partner ku JD

Charles P. Efflandt – Partner ku JD

Jay F. Fowler – Partner ku JD

Sad. Just sad.

Pants 05-26-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 6782357)
Sad. Just sad.

"BKD did the forensic work, and the guy who heads up the forensic unit went to school back East. Also, the findings have been turned over to the feds so the implication of bias is missplaced, IMO."

BKD is a national accounting firm.

ArrowheadHawk 05-26-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Sad. Just sad.

What do you expect from a Kansas based firm? Its not like they can go to Law school at KState.

Pants 05-26-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 6782392)
What do you expect from a Kansas based firm? Its not like they can go to Law school at KState.

This is also true. Good point.

Tactical Funky 05-26-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Sad. Just sad.

No, not really. You think they'd risk their Bar certifications to "protect" their alma mater? That's just idiotic.

KC_Connection 05-26-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6781902)
The father of a relatively important player being involved in ticket scapling of tickets with over $1 million in face value is certainly not something I'd be taking lightly if I were a KU fan.

You guys are being a lot more cavalier about this than I would be.

Good for you, I guess.

I don't understand. Do you want people to get all pissed about it? Should we feel ashamed? Worried, maybe? Because I honestly don't care about something that doesn't concern me, and I'm really not sure why you think I should.

Nobody should be under the illusion that the KU athletic department doesn't do things under the table. While some would like to think differently, you don't maintain yourself as a big-money, successful basketball program without paying a certain price to power brokers.

DJ's left nut 05-26-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 6782483)
I don't understand. Do you want people to get all pissed about it? Should we feel ashamed? Worried, maybe? Because I honestly don't care, and I'm really not sure why you think I should.

Nobody should be under the illusion that the KU athletic department doesn't do things under the table. While some would like to think differently, you don't maintain yourself as a big-money, successful basketball program without paying a certain price.

Worried.

Not pissed or ashamed, it's not your fault.

But with OU about to get its ass kicked on this Tiny Gallon thing, I'd be kinda nervous about the NCAA getting its dander up right before taking a look at my program.

I still don't see a silver bullet tying this to the AD through Morningstar or anything, but holy hell, if those tickets were provided by KU to the father of a player (either directly or indirectly), one that allowed his scholarship to lapse for a season (IIRC) and then they were sold for profit, I'd be pretty petrified about how the NCAA would view that. The words 'disguised compensation' come to mind.

Especially if I had a national championship banner in the rafters from that general timeframe.

KC_Connection 05-26-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6782489)
Worried.

Not pissed or ashamed, it's not your fault.

But with OU about to get its ass kicked on this Tiny Gallon thing, I'd be kinda nervous about the NCAA getting its dander up right before taking a look at my program.

I still don't see a silver bullet tying this to the AD through Morningstar or anything, but holy hell, if those tickets were provided by KU to the father of a player (either directly or indirectly), one that allowed his scholarship to lapse for a season (IIRC) and then they were sold for profit, I'd be pretty petrified about how the NCAA would view that. The words 'disguised compensation' come to mind.

Especially if I had a national championship banner in the rafters from that general timeframe.

I prefer to stick my head in the sand when things like this come about. I don't need to hear about what this school does to remain successful in the ultra-competitive NCAA.

But no, I'm not worried, nor do I think I should be. I'll be pissed if recruiting sanctions are thrown at them, but it doesn't look like anything of the sort will be happening in this particular case. If you don't think this stuff goes on at other top basketball schools, though, with the Pumps, you'd have to be pretty naive.

KC_Connection 05-26-2010 04:41 PM

Life's also too short to worry. It's baseball season. Basketball season starts in 5 months.

DJ's left nut 05-26-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 6782505)
I prefer to stick my head in the sand when things like this come about. I don't need to hear about what this school does to remain successful in the ultra-competitive NCAA.

But no, I'm not worried, nor do I think I should be. I'll be pissed if recruiting sanctions are thrown at them, but it doesn't look like anything of the sort will be happening in this particular case. If you don't think this stuff goes on at other top basketball schools, though, with the Pumps, you'd have to be pretty naive.

I think it probably does.

But right now, KU is the one getting looked at and looked at over a period of time which I would certainly not want to forfiet wins from.

It'll probably be nothing and your method is probably more healthy than mine, but I'd keep an eye on how the OU investigation goes and if they drop the boom on the sooners, I'd start to get a little worried about them wanting to warn the neighbors as well.