ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Updates regarding the 17 Game Schedule in 2021 from Peter King (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=337278)

Chief Pagan 03-01-2021 02:58 PM

They are going to intentionally bump the SB one week later at this late date?

I would think people that have booked flights and hotel rooms already might be a bit annoyed ?

Mecca 03-01-2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoForIt (Post 15568114)
Eventually the bye will go away too once they expand the playoffs to 16 teams.

I disagree if anything I could see them adding byes to extend the season, more weeks more tv money.

Why Not? 03-01-2021 03:02 PM

It’s the NFL. They’ll do whatever they want. We’ll complain about it and come the first week of September through the second week of February, we’ll all be on the couch.

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15568000)
So I assume you don’t like watching football.

I've had Sunday Ticket since 2003 so you're wrong, as usual, once again.

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15568068)
NBA and NHL seasons are too long now. Adding time to the NFL seems just dumb.

I wouldn't mind it so much if there weren't so many truly bad football teams. I mean, the very first year the NFL decides to expand the playoffs, a team made it with a sub .500 record, which is utterly ridiculous.

I watch the NFL to see great games and matchups, not so I can see shit teams like the Lions, Jets, Jaguars, Bears, Giants, et al, upset a great team.

One more regular season game will not only dilute the talent on field due to injuries but the overall quality play will decrease, not increase, because there's only so much trauma the human body can endure without breaking down.

And it's going to totally **** the record books.

displacedinMN 03-01-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15568164)
I wouldn't mind it so much if there weren't so many truly bad football teams. I mean, the very first year the NFL decides to expand the playoffs, a team made it with a sub .500 record, which is utterly ridiculous.

I watch the NFL to see great games and matchups, not so I can see shit teams like the Lions, Jets, Jaguars, Bears, Giants, et al, upset a great team.

1 more regular season game will not only dilute the talent on field due to injuries but the overall quality play will decrease, not increase, because there's only so much trauma the human body can endure without breaking down.

And it's going to totally **** the record books.

Nice.

Also, with the injury thing. Would they consider adding more to the roster and upping the cap.

Or is that diluting the product?

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15568168)
Nice.

Also, with the injury thing. Would they consider adding more to the roster and upping the cap.

Or is that diluting the product?

Well, the NFL increased the Practice Squad from 10 to 16 due to COVID this past season and allowed teams to call up guys due to injury without forcing them to go on waivers in order to return to the PS.

But as we all saw, there was a shortage of available offensive lineman and I don't recall any Practice Squad players on any team making a huge breakthrough. So yeah, I expect the product to be diluted because there is a limited number of men who can play in the NFL with even average competitiveness.

Good depth is going to be of paramount importance, which isn't exactly easy...

htismaqe 03-01-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15567888)
With legalized sports betting coming to all US states by 2025, the NFL won't give a shit about its onfield product and will relish in an NCAA-style tournament to end their season because their revenue stream will increase exponentially.

So much for "The good of the game".

Yep.

HemiEd 03-01-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15567799)

It's about money.

That is all you needed to say

tyecopeland 03-01-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15568164)

To be fair, even without expanded playoffs that sub .500 team was making the playoffs.

Gary Cooper 03-01-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15567675)
Tampa / New England would be a terrible football game. It's not even close to the matchup of KC / GB.

Here's the million dollar question. Will this game (or any game) be in front of a sold out stadium? If not, Tom Brady returning to Boston doesn't mean as much.

Mecca 03-01-2021 04:41 PM

You guys are gonna be so pissed when they expand out to 40 teams.

Deberg_1990 03-01-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyecopeland (Post 15568265)
To be fair, even without expanded playoffs that sub .500 team was making the playoffs.

Yea, the whole thing is out of whack already. There were 3 teams better than the Washington football club left out of the playoffs.

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyecopeland (Post 15568265)

Well, that's true because they won their division.

But it still sucks and perfectly illustrates why an expanded playoff format only hurts the better teams.

The NFL should seed the playoffs based on record, not "Divisional Champ" but it'll probably never happen.

BigRedChief 03-01-2021 04:51 PM

I thought if they got a 17 game schedule the players got a 2nd bye? So you push the super Bowl back another week? WTF if going to clash with the SB in Feb.? It’s sports dead time.