ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Grilling questions....... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=185966)

Jilly 06-16-2008 10:05 AM

oh man I'm freaking hungry!

My favorite thing (but I don't do it much because hubby hates these kinds of veggies) is marinating zucchini, mushrooms and onions in some olive oil, garlic, and a hint of italian dressing for about 30 minutes, then putting them in a grilling basket. I usually put them on the top shelf of the grill and grill for about 10 minutes a side....yummmmy

Also, asparagus is awesome grilled...just drizzle olive oil over the top and some pepper and its good to go...also yummmmy

but I'm pregnant and tend to eat anything at this point

Bowser 06-16-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 4795853)

My favorite thing (but I don't do it much because hubby hates these kinds of veggies) is marinating zucchini, mushrooms and onions in some olive oil, garlic, and a hint of italian dressing for about 30 minutes, then putting them in a grilling basket. I usually put them on the top shelf of the grill and grill for about 10 minutes a side....yummmmy

Also, asparagus is awesome grilled...just drizzle olive oil over the top and some pepper and its good to go...also yummmmy

I have to admit that looks and sounds gross, but tastes damned good. Goes REALLY good with some butter injected pork chops, grilled up right under them.

How are you feeling, preggers?

Pablo 06-16-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

I think that sounds pretty good myself. But I'll eat just about anything, and vegetables are fine by me.

I'm a fan of cucumbers and onions myself, set up in some sugar water and vinegar with pepper...delicious.

Jilly 06-16-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 4795857)
I have to admit that looks and sounds gross, but tastes damned good. Goes REALLY good with some butter injected pork chops, grilled up right under them.

How are you feeling, preggers?

It does? Hmmm...but it is really darn good and it does go well with pork chops, also something the hubby doesn't like. But it goes well with steak too.

PS I'm awesome, thanks for asking! Feeling like a beached whale half the time, but I've been reassured that it's rather cute...so I'll take it...but baby is great too.

Bowser 06-16-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 4795870)
It does? Hmmm...but it is really darn good and it does go well with pork chops, also something the hubby doesn't like. But it goes well with steak too.

PS I'm awesome, thanks for asking! Feeling like a beached whale half the time, but I've been reassured that it's rather cute...so I'll take it...but baby is great too.

Excellent. When is the due date?

Jilly 06-16-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoRox88 (Post 4795865)
I think that sounds pretty good myself. But I'll eat just about anything, and vegetables are fine by me.

I'm a fan of cucumbers and onions myself, set up in some sugar water and vinegar with pepper...delicious.

I used to HATE cucumbers, but I tried that concoction a month or so ago and couldn't get enough of it...seriously delicious.

Jilly 06-16-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 4795871)
Excellent. When is the due date?

September 20...so I have a few months of swollen ankles to deal with and I've been begging some relatives to buy me a pool...I was hoping the pregnancy thing would earn me some sympathy!

cdcox 06-16-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan (Post 4795837)
OK. To make you haappy, here are a couple of meat questions.

1. When cooking bratwurst, a friend of mine boils them first. Why? Do you recommend this?

2. I know that some people simmer their brats in beer. Do I simmer them in beer and onions before I grill them or grill them then simmer in beer?

Yes, I boil my brats in beer and onions before finishing them on the grill.

Why?

1. They taste good that way.
2. Brats are a ground meat that needs to be cooked until well done to be safe. At the same time, they are fatty, which can cause flare ups, making a hot fire. If placed on the grill raw, they are likely to become charred on the outside and a little dry by the time they are cooked done in the middle. Boiling them with beer and onions imparts a great flavor in additon to cooking them through. Handle them carefully with tongs and they come of the grill plump and juicy.

Baby Lee 06-16-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 4795473)
Almost looked like a plantain. I've never seen veggies cut and grilled like that. I'm assuming you could do the same with squash?

I do zuccini and yellow squash 2-3 times a week in the summer.
Make a foil boat [fold each side over 1/2" 2-3x, then fold back to make little 1/2 walls], lay the slices in the boat, brush on a LITTLE oil, season, and grill until almost blackened.

I alternate seasons with;

S&P
Cajun
Greek
Parmesan and Italian

Buehler445 06-16-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Congrats!! I didn't know. Hopefully all is well with the baby!

Buehler445 06-16-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 4796000)
Yes, I boil my brats in beer and onions before finishing them on the grill.

So you just dump a couple of cans of beer in a pot and boil the bratwursts? How long?

manchambo 06-16-2008 12:35 PM

I got one of those grilling baskets for potatoes. Looks kind of like a wok with holes in it. Chop up some red or yukon gold, coat em with olive oil, and add seasoning of your choice (I ususally do cajun). Takes about a half hour to get em golden brown, stirring occassionally.

One of my favorit non-traditional grilling items is peaches. cut em in half, take out the pit and coat them with a butter/sugar mixture heated in a suace pan. Then you grill them on both sides until they get some medium grill marks. Then put it in a bowl with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy.

Jilly 06-16-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchambo (Post 4796124)
I got one of those grilling baskets for potatoes. Looks kind of like a wok with holes in it. Chop up some red or yukon gold, coat em with olive oil, and add seasoning of your choice (I ususally do cajun). Takes about a half hour to get em golden brown, stirring occassionally.

One of my favorit non-traditional grilling items is peaches. cut em in half, take out the pit and coat them with a butter/sugar mixture heated in a suace pan. Then you grill them on both sides until they get some medium grill marks. Then put it in a bowl with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy.

oh man that sounds delicious

cdcox 06-16-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 4796058)
So you just dump a couple of cans of beer in a pot and boil the bratwursts? How long?

I start my charcoal in the chimney, slice a yellow onion, add it to my pot with two cans of beer - enough to cover the brats (cheap is fine), bring to a boil then simmer until my fire is ready. By then, the brats are ready for the fire (or about 15-20 minutes if you are using a gas grill).

The onions are good on the brat.

SNAFU 06-16-2008 04:34 PM

If your a fan of salmon, here is a easy and decent marinade recipe:
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup veg oil
Marinade for 1-1/2 pounds of salmon.
Mix together. Coat the salmon with garlic and onion powder and some black pepper or you can use your favorite seasoning. Then, pour the marinade over salmon and let rest for 30-45 minutes. I also squeezed lemon on them after I poured the marinade.
Grill 6-8 minutes per side on medium heat and enjoy (I keep the skin on and place flesh side down first to get a nice grill char). If your not a fan of soy sauce, don't worry. You don't taste it. My wife wouldn't eat it if you could. I made this yesterday and they were awesome.