ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV -- ESPN - what do they do right? what do they do wrong? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=214238)

rambleonthruthefog 09-16-2009 10:02 AM

the sportscenter commercials are almost always funny. other than that, they show a lot of sports, and have a pretty good NFL pregameshow. used to like watching poker. they do a few other things right.

Frazod 09-16-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambleonthruthefog (Post 6078031)
the sportscenter commercials are almost always funny. other than that, they show a lot of sports, and have a pretty good NFL pregameshow. used to like watching poker. they do a few other things right.

How the **** is poker a sport? That's like putting that stupid ice road trucker show on History Channel.

Simply Red 09-16-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambleonthruthefog (Post 6078031)

pretty much 'dead-on'

Buck 09-16-2009 10:05 AM

Wrong: Every once in a while they have a woman announcing a College Football or Basketball game.

I know this is probably sexist, but I don't really want to hear a woman doing play by play.

Dallas Chief 09-16-2009 10:19 AM

Wrong- That garbage they call The NFL on ESPN Radio. They have just the most inane conversations with Eric Allen and whoever else on Sunday. About 3 minutes of every 30are game updates and the rest is just a bunch of blah blah blah. Sporting News Radio does a much better job IMO.

Fairplay 09-16-2009 10:32 AM

I liked the little league world series.

I didn't catch the MNF games the other day. How was the ESPN announcing on that?

Simply Red 09-16-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 6078167)
I liked the little league world series.

I didn't catch the MNF games the other day. How was the ESPN announcing on that?

Didn't mike n mike do one of them? Seems like they did. They're terrible.

Fairplay 09-16-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 6078181)
Didn't mike n mike do one of them? Seems like they did. They're terrible.

I only got to see about 20 minutes of the game and Mike and Mike kept talking over each other. It sounded like confusion and chaos.

Macroach 09-16-2009 10:39 AM

Wrong: Hero worship of certain athletes (see Brett Favre), 24/7 coverage means they have to fill the time by re-hashing the same story lines ad nauseum. (See Brett Favre). Overdone special-effects and the rapid-cut video editing. Berman's shtick is tired and Stuart Scott is horrific.

Right: 24/7 coverage means they are always there. English Premier League Soccer coverage. NFL pregame.

RJ 09-16-2009 10:49 AM

Right: Sunday Night Baseball (I like Miller and Morgan), Sunday pre-game, college BB.

Wrong: Their infatuation with the AL East, NFC East and Brett mf'ing Favre. And btw, their infatuation with east coast teams was equally annoying when I lived there.

Yin - Yang: Dick Vitale.

RJ 09-16-2009 10:50 AM

Oh, and I really like their commercials.

shitgoose 09-16-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 6077489)
Right: They have a billion networks. ESPN1, ESPN 2, ESPN U, ESPN Classic, ESPN News, ESPN Deportes...I'm sure I'm missing some like ESPN Tom Brady or something. They do a great job of hyping games and marketing sports in general. They have a few really good analysts like Peter Gammons, Doug Gottlieb, Jay Bilas, Kirk Herbstreit, Ron Jaworski, Tim Legler, etc.

Wrong: They employ to many ex-jocks with not enough broadcasting experience. With that said, because ESPN has so much power to nap many NFL legends, the ex-jocks attract ratings because you want to know what they have to say.

Jay Bilas is the biggest ACC/DUKE/East Coast homer in the world. He is everything that is wrong with ESPN and I would pay good money to see him punched in the face.

DJJasonp 09-16-2009 11:00 AM

Right: college basketball coverage

Wrong: made-up "stories" that are presented to be relevant (who is the best athlete under pressure?....and then a 1/2 hour discussion on the meaningless topic).....meanwhile, there are countless stories that COULD be told about small market athletes doing GOOD things.....or better yet...maybe just INTRODUCING small market teams/players to the world???

Wrong: any "highlight", clip, or story that is "Brought to you by....." it seems they cant get through a story without it being sponsored by some company...

Wrong: A huge pet-peeve of mine....stop calling it ESPN2 Hi-Def when over half of what you broadcast on the channel is not in hi-def!!!!

Wrong: Either A) reset the college basketball start times for big monday.....or B) stop having the shi**y big east play right before the Big 12 game on Big Mondays.......because the hack-a-shack big east always runs late, you routinely miss several minutes of the Big 12 game.