ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Best Coach Ever? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240122)

KCJohnny 01-11-2011 06:56 AM

Ya might want to evaluate Belichick's record pre-Brady...

JD10367 01-11-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJohnny (Post 7345827)

As a coordinator, Belichick's game-winning defensive plan from the Super Bowl is in Canton.

In his first head coaching gig, Belichick took a shit Cleveland team and turned them around and made the playoffs, beating his mentor Parcells's Patriots.

Belichick was not as press-savvy back then, and made the fatal error of benching the hometown hero Bernie Kosar to bring in Vinny Testaverde (which was the correct move, albeit a suicidal one for Belichick's reputation in Cleveland). Then they announced the team would move to Baltimore, and both the fans and the players turned on and quit on him. That wasn't his fault, and he did very well under the circumstances.

And I bet all those other great coaches have some suck-ass seasons on their resume, too...

KCJohnny 01-11-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 7345828)
As a coordinator, Belichick's game-winning defensive plan from the Super Bowl is in Canton.

In his first head coaching gig, Belichick took a shit Cleveland team and turned them around and made the playoffs, beating his mentor Parcells's Patriots.

Belichick was not as press-savvy back then, and made the fatal error of benching the hometown hero Bernie Kosar to bring in Vinny Testaverde (which was the correct move, albeit a suicidal one for Belichick's reputation in Cleveland). Then they announced the team would move to Baltimore, and both the fans and the players turned on and quit on him. That wasn't his fault, and he did very well under the circumstances.

And I bet all those other great coaches have some suck-ass seasons on their resume, too...

I hear what you are saying, and your points are valid and legit. Just looking at W-L records with and without Brady and you have to wonder. BB is definitely top 10, maybe top 5. I just find it really hard to pick against Lombardi.

Phobia 01-11-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Good grief. What does a guy have to do? How many SuperBowls does a guy have to win to put a Cleveland debacle behind him? I promise, I'm not a fan of the guy. Don't care. Just think he's a pretty beyond spectacular coach. Pretty crappy guy - I wouldn't want to hang out with him but results can't be argued.

KCJohnny 01-11-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7345832)
Good grief. What does a guy have to do? How many SuperBowls does a guy have to win to put a Cleveland debacle behind him? I promise, I'm not a fan of the guy. Don't care. Just think he's a pretty beyond spectacular coach. Pretty crappy guy - I wouldn't want to hang out with him but results can't be argued.

Really? How did the same coach do with Cassel at the helm of an 18-0 team? The defense rests, your honor.

Phobia 01-11-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJohnny (Post 7345830)
I hear what you are saying, and your points are valid and legit. Just looking at W-L records with and without Brady and you have to wonder. BB is definitely top 10, maybe top 5. I just find it really hard to pick against Lombardi.

What's he supposed to do, trade Brady? What about Lombardi without Starr?

KCJohnny 01-11-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7345839)
What's he supposed to do, trade Brady? What about Lombardi without Starr?

What? You've never heard of Zeke Bratkowsi?

http://polishsportshof.com/wp-conten...bratkowski.jpg

Phobia 01-11-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJohnny (Post 7345834)
Really? How did the same coach do with Cassel at the helm of an 18-0 team? The defense rests, your honor.

11-5 is miraculous with Matt Cassel inasmuch 10-6 is a miracle with Cassel in KC.

Phobia 01-11-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJohnny (Post 7345840)
What? You've never heard of Zeke Bratkowsi?

http://polishsportshof.com/wp-conten...bratkowski.jpg

Ok KCJ. Yeah, that's great. You were there. Tell me about Zeke.

KCJohnny 01-11-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7345849)
Ok KCJ. Yeah, that's great. You were there. Tell me about Zeke.

He was the Earl Moral of the GB Packers. Nuff said.

Phobia 01-11-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJohnny (Post 7345853)
He was the Earl Moral of the GB Packers. Nuff said.

Oh good grief. He played 5 years under Lombardi. He passed for not even 300 attempts in 5 years in relief of Starr - under Lombardi, which is the era we're discussing, right?

KCJohnny 01-11-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7345865)
Oh good grief. He played 5 years under Lombardi. He passed for not even 300 attempts in 5 years in relief of Starr - under Lombardi, which is the era we're discussing, right?

Oh! Here we go! Invoking stats to prove a point! :rolleyes:

Amnorix 01-11-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDChiefs (Post 7345446)
No! I do not forsee us having to win the belichick trophy.

The Heisman trophy is named after an offensive lineman. In other words, its named after someone who, if he played today, could not possibly under any circumstances win the trophy that is named after him.

Amnorix 01-11-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7345458)
It's certainly possible. IMO, we won't really know until Brady retires. He certainly has a knack for keeping the team competitive through dramatic changes in personnel, that's for sure. The question is just how much Belichick could do if he didn't have a superstar quarterback to lean on.

Every great coach had his great QB, with the exception of Joe Gibbs really.

Amnorix 01-11-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Had a crappy team that he turned into a playoff team by going 11-5 in year four.

His owner, Art Modell, however, had no money and decides to move the team, announcing it IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON! When he announced, the Browns were 4-4. They then, unsurprisingly, tank the rest of the season to end up at 5-11, and BB is fired.

Mainly, he was amazingly unpopular in Cleveland, but you can't say he didn't have the team on the right track.