ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 80 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282045)

Rausch 03-09-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10474846)
Here's my take on Sling Blade. I actually liked it the first time I saw it. All the main actors were good. But I saw it again years later on cable, and it bugged me--I'm sick of this little mini sub-genre that exists--the dumb/mentally disabled/reeruned guy who is actually brilliant.

It's supposed to be so moving that the one who seems to be least intelligent among us is actually the smartest, the deepest, most philosophical. Carl is a dim-witted child in a man's body, yet spouts off these funny, poignant, deep thoughts about life and love. It's insulting, really.

The point is that what these "simple" people talk about and act on are more moral and pure impulses than our own.

You find it funny, poignant, and deep because "normal" people don't act on morality and emotion alone. We bend morality. We lie to ourselves and each other. We bend the rules to fit the situation and this character doesn't.

We look at ourselves as better while we behave worse...

Renegade 03-09-2014 11:05 AM

This will have to the longest running tournament every created. This one will take months to finish

Rain Man 03-09-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 10475148)
This will have to the longest running tournament every created. This one will take months to finish

I think we just passed the halfway point of the first round.

It's going to be far and away the biggest tournament I've ever run. But in the end, it's going to be worth it. I'm really interested to see which scene takes home the prize.

TimBone 03-09-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10476412)
I think we just passed the halfway point of the first round.

It's going to be far and away the biggest tournament I've ever run. But in the end, it's going to be worth it. I'm really interested to see which scene takes home the prize.

Calling it now. "Well, bye." And I hate that it's gonna win.

cosmo20002 03-09-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10476422)

Probably the only thing that could beat it might be a scene with boobs.

Rain Man 03-09-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10476422)

I don't want to influence anything, but based on what I've seen so far, if I had to guess, I would go with one of the following scenes:

1) The Pulp Fiction diner scene. That scene has everything: great acting, humor, gunplay, great dialogue and a Bad M*********r Wallet. Put a naked woman in that scene and Hollywood may as well shut down.

2) The Terminator "I need your clothes, your gun..." scene. I don't think it's as strong as the Pulp Fiction one, but it's got Arnie, violence (implied), and humor. It crosses the aisle to get votes for both funny and action.

3) The Pulp Fiction interrogation scene. Where they're talking with Brett and shoot the Flock of Seagulls guy. Same as above - it gets votes for humor, dialogue, acting, and violence.

I don't think we've seen the third scene yet, and there may be others lurking in the back half of Round 1 that I don't recall at the moment. But my theory is that the winner will be a multi-faceted scene like these, and not a pure comedy or pure action or pure drama.

Rain Man 03-10-2014 05:23 PM

Slingblade moves on. Mmmhmmm.