ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News David Letterman to retire from 'Late Show' in 2015 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282776)

Easy 6 04-03-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10538321)
I'm not convinced Stewart will ever leave Comedy Central; Colbert, maybe

Colbert will take Seth Meyer seat within 32 months, just watch... they'll want to do it sooner but will hang on for the sake of their pride a year too long.

But it will happen, Meyer couldn't match wits with Colbert in his dreams.

RealSNR 04-03-2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10538357)
Stern... ?

Honestly, I don't know if CBS could pay him enough money.

He already makes truckloads doing radio, and he gets to say whatever the **** he wants. Why would he choose to restrict himself for less or barely any more than he's making?

Mojo Jojo 04-03-2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10538361)
Colbert will take Seth Meyer seat within 32 months, just watch... they'll want to do it sooner but will hang on for the sake of their pride a year too long.

No way Cobert leaves for the later (Seth) slot. I could see him going for the Letterman slot. Also Viacom (Comedy Central) is controlled by Summer Redstone whose company also holds controlling stake at CBS.

Pitt Gorilla 04-03-2014 11:31 PM

My favorite Dave bit of all time:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8fOGkQk1THY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yv4-kIkZVRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Bad Guy 04-03-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10538357)
Stern... ?

It's a solid guess, but I can't see him being an NBC employee now and jumping to CBS. One of Dave's top guys, Vinny Favalle, is a big Stern supporter and I bet Howard is on that short list.

However, SNR is right. He makes a fortune on Sirius and does that shitty America's Got Talent.

I don't think he's making that switch to Late Night.

I heard Louis CK talked about a lot today as a replacement.

Easy 6 04-03-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 10538371)
No way Cobert leaves for the later (Seth) slot. I could see him going for the Letterman slot. Also Viacom (Comedy Central) is controlled by Summer Redstone whose company also holds controlling stake at CBS.

You may well be right, but the easiest route into he network bigtime is to knock Meyer out... Colbert is more than capable of that.

Question is, will he want to? as big as Colbert is, going to a Big 3 show is full of competition quotas that require big, stupid boardroom meetings far beyond what he likely desires as his purview.

It doesn't really matter anyway, its just false left/right paradigm that's being sold to us anyway... shut up monkey and dance! make me laugh!

Sannyasi 04-03-2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10538384)
It's a solid guess, but I can't see him being an NBC employee now and jumping to CBS. One of Dave's top guys, Vinny Favalle, is a big Stern supporter and I bet Howard is on that short list.

However, SNR is right. He makes a fortune on Sirius and does that shitty America's Got Talent.

I don't think he's making that switch to Late Night.

I heard Louis CK talked about a lot today as a replacement.

I don't think Stern has the energy for late night anymore.

Louis, on the other hand, I would actually love to see as a late night host. However, I think his name is getting thrown around more as wishful thinking on the part of fans rather than actual chatter. Only reason I could see him taking the job would be so that he could stop touring, stay in New York and spend more time with his kids.

cosmo20002 04-03-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 10538371)

Move Daily Show and Colbert to CBS. Done.

cosmo20002 04-04-2014 12:26 AM

If I recall correctly, fwiw, Letterman's deal with CBS was for his production company to produce the 10:30 CBS show when he decided to leave. Not sure how that would impact things other than maybe making it more likely to be someone with Dave's sense of humor.

I just can't see any of the women mentioned (Ellen, Chelsea) or any woman, being chosen. I just don't think men will watch.

TimBone 04-04-2014 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sannyasi (Post 10538392)
I don't think Stern has the energy for late night anymore.

Louis, on the other hand, I would actually love to see as a late night host. However, I think his name is getting thrown around more as wishful thinking on the part of fans rather than actual chatter. Only reason I could see him taking the job would be so that he could stop touring, stay in New York and spend more time with his kids.

I believe he was conan's head writer for a while. I think he'd be great.

cosmo20002 04-04-2014 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10538409)

Hard to imagine Louis CK in a traditional talk show format. His stand up style doesn't seem like it would really go well into the usual monologue format, and as for interviewing guests, he seems even less interested in show biz and the celebrity culture than Letterman.

Jamie 04-04-2014 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10538409)

Not quite, I heard him tell the story somewhere. Conan wanted him to be the head writer, and he didn't really want to do it, so he asked for a bunch of money. Then Conan went to the network and fought to get it for him, then he still didn't take it. He said Conan understood though, because he went through a similar thing when he was writing on The Simpsons. Like he could see this whole career laid out ahead of him an realized he actually wanted to do something different.

I guess the point is, I doubt Louis would take the job. I'm sure the money would give him pause, but I think/hope he doesn't want to be Jay Leno (who was considered one of the best stand-ups ever before he became the McDonalds of comedy).

rico 04-04-2014 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10538344)
Chevy Chase is free again. After that, I'd probably try to re-ignite The Magic Hour and top it off with the stylings of Pat Sajak.

This is the funniest post I've read in a while. Oh...my...God those guys were ATROCIOUS in their short-lived late-night roles.

The Magic Hour...I remember laughing for what seemed like 3 minutes straight when I heard this dude on the Bob and Tom Show who used to be Magic's sidekick for an episode or two before being booted... Craig Shumacher was his name, I think....did an incredible impression of Magic and had hilarious observations of Magic and how inept he was at hosting that show...

Chevy Chase was just...awful. He seemed so unlikable in that show. Presumably a total letdown to those who expected more from him, since he was the first ever Weekend Update dude on SNL.

The Pat Sajak Show. LMAO I forgot that show even existed... Nostalgia.

Fire Me Boy! 04-04-2014 04:00 AM

Dane Cook?

Aries Walker 04-04-2014 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10538361)

Yeah, Seth Meyers is painful to watch.