ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Enough already! What's the deal with Sutton? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313207)

FloridaMan88 01-13-2018 07:18 AM

Random fact... the day after the Houston Oilers’ epic choke job to Buffalo in the infamous “Comeback” playoff game, Houston immediately fired their defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach.

Meanwhile after TWO historically epic playoff choke jobs within a five year time-frame Andy Reid refuses to fire his defensive coordinator or make any other changes to his coaching staff.

Commitment to mediocrity.

tmax63 01-13-2018 07:48 AM

Maybe, just maybe after getting burned for tampering on Maclin the Chiefs learned to keep things quiet until the proper time. If the Raiders had kept their collective mouths shut, was public about interviewing their TE coach and then announced Gruden they wouldn't be being investigated for the Rooney rule.

Tribal Warfare 01-13-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13357320)
It's fair to do so, I personally think the odds are maybe 5% that he's getting fired now.

IMO, the Chiefs are waiting for the Steelers season to end to snag one of from their staff

Rausch 01-13-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13357308)
They don't necessarily need to release a statement themselves, but usually these kinds of things get leaked to an insider like Rapoport or Schefter and they let it out that the guy is keeping his job.

Why would you release a statement to say you aren't firing someone?

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13357434)
Why would you release a statement to say you aren't firing someone?

They've been peppering the team with questions. Fans have been very vocal about it. You don't think a loyal guy like reid wouldn't say "don't be ridiculous, leave my guy alone" if the media was hounding one of his guys who was safe? It seems unusual for the Chiefs who are usually open about everything. I still stand by the idea that they have 1-2 guys in mind and if they don't get them, then Sutton stays. If that's the case then there is definitely no motivation to fire him or say anything.

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13357433)
IMO, the Chiefs are waiting for the Steelers season to end to snag one of from their staff

I don't really buy that. The root is always stronger at the tree. Spagnuolo shares the same agent as reid and has worked with him before. Adam Zimmer was mentored by Gary Gibbs. Those two actually have very strong connections to our tree. And technically, neither are available.

booger 01-13-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13357433)

At this point that would be my 2nd choice behind James Bettcher not getting the Cards job, which is likely and being let out of his contract, which I don't see them doing. There was chatter that Nagy wanted him in Chicago if Fangio didn't stay but Vic is staying there now. Brenston Buckner the Dline coach and LB coach Larry Foote are also on the Cards staff. Don't know if either is ready to call a defense though.

I like both DB's coach Carnell Lake and ILB coach Jerry Olsavsky. Preferably Olsavsky since he played and coached under LeBeau and of course coached under Keith Butler. A couple of points with Pittsburgh is they blocked Butler several times from leaving when he was LB coach, last time was when Arians got the Cards job. Neither has called a defense before but they both know that scheme inside and out from coaching and playing in it. Ray Horton fits here too if neither of the Steeler coaches are available or what Reid wants. Horton was one candidate he wanted to interview before he hired Sutton. Horton was out of coaching this year so say Reid hires Lake or Olsavsky he could also add Horton as Senior Defensive asst to help guide a first year DC. Lake also spent 2009 as a training camp intern with Reid in Philly.

PAChiefsGuy 01-13-2018 09:43 AM

He's dead

Rausch 01-13-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13357512)
They've been peppering the team with questions. Fans have been very vocal about it. You don't think a loyal guy like reid wouldn't say "don't be ridiculous, leave my guy alone" if the media was hounding one of his guys who was safe? It seems unusual for the Chiefs who are usually open about everything.

Only recently.

And really Andy can't defend or throw Sutton under the bus.

Both looked horrible at the same time. Both looked good at the same time.

I would argue that Sutton perhaps looked better when Naggy called the pays because running the ball helps to protect a weak defense. That doesn't make Sutton better it just helps him out...

booger 01-13-2018 09:51 AM

Reggie Herring hasn't been mentioned but he's coached LB's several different places Wade Phillips has been DC. Herring is still in Denver as LB coach from when Phillips was there.

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13357535)
Only recently.

I would argue that Sutton perhaps looked better when Naggy called the pays because running the ball helps to protect a weak defense. That doesn't make Sutton better it just helps him out...

I just feel like an open organization like the Chiefs would say something if their guy was getting pounced on. And Andy has had more than enough playoff disappointments to think he has his tail between the legs. The silence is unusual. I'd like to think it's a sign they're still exploring.

booger 01-13-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13357535)
Only recently.

I've backed Sutton until this year. And now I want an upgrade I still think 3-4 is the best D for Houston and Ragland who showed he can be a piece to build around. Possibly the 4-3 under. Lots of guys when you think about it they aren't much better than old Bob

Pasta Little Brioni 01-13-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 13357423)
Random fact... the day after the Houston Oilers’ epic choke job to Buffalo in the infamous “Comeback” playoff game, Houston immediately fired their defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach.

Meanwhile after TWO historically epic playoff choke jobs within a five year time-frame Andy Reid refuses to fire his defensive coordinator or make any other changes to his coaching staff.

Commitment to mediocrity.

Those Oilers won sooooooo many titles!!

Rausch 01-13-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13357545)
I just feel like an open organization like the Chiefs would say something if their guy was getting pounced on. And Andy has had more than enough playoff disappointments to think he has his tail between the legs. The silence is unusual. I'd like to think it's a sign they're still exploring.

The ugly truth is there isn't any established talent at the DC position out there.

You either get risky with new talent or stay the course.

What do you think we'll do?...

Rausch 01-13-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booger (Post 13357551)
I've backed Sutton until this year. And now I want an upgrade I still think 3-4 is the best D for Houston and Ragland who showed he can be a piece to build around.

Agreed.

Quote:

Possibly the 4-3 under.

No.

Quote:

Lots of guys when you think about it they aren't much better than old Bob

Exactly my point...