ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Man versus mouse. I seek your alliance in this war. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=334575)

srvy 10-25-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHOG (Post 15275386)
Interesting. I know the peanut butter is next to irresistible to them, and with the M&M topper, it would put it over the, well, top.

The presentation is important.

ping2000 10-25-2020 07:10 PM

Ask Russell Wilson. He just audibled to "Peter Mouse" in the game tonight. Maybe he can help.

htismaqe 10-25-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 15275483)
Adopt a cat from one of your local kill shelters

once you save its life it will then owe you eternally for the other 8 lives

have the cat kill all of the mice before you feed it

or you could try mouse traps
firing a small shotgun indoors might be ok

Interesting factoid.

The cat doesn't even need to kill them all. Once you've had cats long enough, the mice can smell them. We haven't had a mouse anywhere in the house, garage, or attic since we've had indoor cats and the cats don't go in the garage or attic.

Easy 6 10-25-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15275418)
Cats are more cuddly, but a snake could better navigate the duct system. I'll have to think about this.

Go with the snakes, and once they wipe out the lesser snakes, then go get bigger and meaner snakes to go take out those snakes... thats what I'd do, FWIW

Mahomes_Is_God 10-25-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 15275479)
I like the regular traps, only with gummy bears or any other kind of gummy candy wedges firmly into the bait holder.

I’d advise against cats. I have one that was feral as a kitten. I figured she would be good at catching mice because of that wild start to life. I had her in my camper trailer one time and walked in from outside to find her playing with a mouse rather than taking care of it. The mouse ran towards me and I flipped it outside with my foot. Stupid cat!

They always toy with the mouse before killing it. Cats are assholes like that. I still love them.

eDave 10-25-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ping2000 (Post 15275504)
Ask Russell Wilson. He just audibled to "Peter Mouse" in the game tonight. Maybe he can help.

The circle is complete. Well done.

mlyonsd 10-25-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15275446)
At nighttime turn on all lights and walk the perimeter of the house. Look for light coming trough gaps under doors even the smallest gap a mouse can get under. In the house inspect along walls for holes and gaps and droppings. Fills those temporary with steel wool they cant chew through it.

The best traps are the old victory wood spring traps. But they can be a bitch to set. I have tried many the plastic quick set traps but they are fragile. They even say that are one time use. The best of these I have found are the Tom Cat brand as I can reuse four to five times before the plastic trigger breaks.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

Something like this trap. Or even the original old fashioned wooden ones.
Bait it with chocolate. They can't resist chocolate. Take a milk chocolate chip and melt it in the microwave for 20-25 seconds. Just long enough where you can take a toothpick while it is still partially melted and place it on the baiting mechanism. It'll glue itself to the trap.

A stealthy mouse will lick peanut butter off a trap but they have to work at a glued on piece of chocolate. SNAP.

Rain Man 10-25-2020 07:13 PM

That tomcat trap isn't even trying to be stealthy. It looks like a cat's jaws.

TribalElder 10-25-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

To be honest, I thought this was going to be about Sunday Night Football when I first clicked on the thread title

crayzkirk 10-25-2020 07:14 PM

Try Mouse-X; it's a bait that's non toxic so any mice that eat it and die won't kill the next critter to eat it. Mice like it so well that they ate thru the bag and helped themselves in the drawer where I had it stored.

Watch some mousetrap monday on youtube for other ideas.

For mice that are tough to catch, bait the trap and don't set it. Leave it out for a few days and then re-bait and set it again. The mice get comfortable with the trap and when they come for a free meal...SNAP!

htismaqe 10-25-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahomes_Is_God (Post 15275512)
They always toy with the mouse before killing it. Cats are assholes like that. I still love them.

We have cats that play with them and cats that swallow them whole without thinking about it.

They're not all the same.

ping2000 10-25-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15275511)
Go with the snakes, and once they wipe out the lesser snakes, then go get bigger and meaner snakes to go take out those snakes... thats what I'd do, FWIW

Snake kills mouse, mongoose kills snake, leopard or jackal to take down the mongoose. After that you will need a high power rifle.

Rain Man 10-25-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

I thought I heard him yell 'tuna melt' at some point. I'm guessing that call was conceived during a lunch meeting.

PHOG 10-25-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15275503)
The presentation is important.

Of course.

ping2000 10-25-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15275533)
I thought I heard him yell 'tuna melt' at some point. I'm guessing that call was conceived during a lunch meeting.

Anything beats "Omaha, Omaha"