ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bills/ Bengals [cancelled - process in OP] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=346826)

cmh6476 01-03-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 16705691)
Easy solution is to play the game tomorrow and move their week 18 games from Sunday to Monday. Then you make sure if they have to play on wildcard weekend that their games are on Sunday and not Saturday. This gives both teams one day extra rest as compared to a normal Thursday night game for their games on Monday and still gives them the same amount of rest as any of the teams that have to play on Saturday the first week of the playoffs.

This has the least amount of disruption to the rest of the league and still treats the Bengals and Bills with as much fairness as possible.

There is also one Monday Night Football game in the Wild Card Round of the Playoffs now, which helps.

displacedinMN 01-03-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16705670)
There is no easy answer, there will be plenty of critics, and life goes on.

It is the way it is.

I know it is not quite the same, but admin has the same issues when calling off school for snow.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

We didnt today-and parents are mad. But it is not snowing, it may snow later.
Cant win or make everyone happy.

CupidStunt 01-03-2023 08:49 AM

To me playing tomorrow, and their next games next Monday, seems quite logical.

I 1000000% support not playing yesterday, but what is the argument against tomorrow? Obviously we all hope for Hamlin's recovery, but none of the players or coaches can change that. He'll have his family and a ton of other support there. I'm just not sure what good it does the team sitting at home. And it seems like after the initial shock wears off, of course it's still a tragedy, but life has to go on... especially if we get the best news possible that he's recovering.

Eleazar 01-03-2023 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 16705647)
I can have compassion and empathy for the guy in the hospital and still be pissed if they push the entire NFL schedule back one week. I have plane and game tickets in Vegas this weekend and will not be happy if that game is rescheduled.

There's nothing wrong with objecting to a league plan that would upset a travel and a vacation that have been paid for. People acting like you can't talk about anything but the player's health are being ridiculous.

dirk digler 01-03-2023 08:52 AM

pft

Quote:

We await further information regarding Bills safety Damar Hamlin, who remains at last word in critical condition at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center after experiencing cardiac arrest on the field during last night’s game. We have nothing at this time to say about any other issues in the NFL, and we have suspended coverage of all other topics or subjects until further notice.

That said, there is a significant open question as to the status of what was one of the most significant late-season Monday night games in years. The NFL said during a conference call held not long after midnight that it will address the status of the game at the appropriate time.

It’s currently unclear when the appropriate time will be. The simple reality is that, with Week 18 set to commence in only four days, there’s not much time for last night’s game to resume, without significant alterations to the remainder of the schedule for the 2022 season.

One possibility would be to move the game to the coming weekend, with all of Week 18 moved back by a week — and with the playoffs nudged back by a week and the bye between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl eliminated. That happened in 2001, when a full week of September games was postponed until the very end of the regular season after 9/11, with the playoffs delayed by a week and only seven days between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

The other possibility would be to cancel the game, and to determine playoff seeding based on winning percentages, given that the Bills and Bengals would have played only 16 games. The NFL was prepared to implement such measures during the 2020 season, when it seemed very possible that the pandemic would result in the cancellation of one or more games.

However the schedule plays out, neither the Bills nor the Bengals should be expected to play again until the appropriate medical professionals believe that the men who were directly affected by last night’s events are able to do so. At a time when mental health receives more attention than ever, it’s critical that the people affected by last night’s incident are in the right and proper frame of mind to continue playing football, under any circumstances.

Eleazar 01-03-2023 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 16705699)

I 1000000% support not playing yesterday, but what is the argument against tomorrow?

That makes the most sense to me. The league could push their final game back to Monday night as an accommodation, maybe do the same for a wild card round game if they play in one.

Otherwise, just eliminate the bye week before the Super Bowl and move everything back a week.

People should grant that the NFL is in an impossible situation here, and there is no solution that is going to make everyone happy or be completely fair to everyone.

arrwheader 01-03-2023 08:55 AM

Quote:

I 1000000% support not playing yesterday, but what is the argument against tomorrow? Obviously we all hope for Hamlin's recovery, but none of the players or coaches can change that. He'll have his family and a ton of other support there. I'm just not sure what good it does the team sitting at home. And it seems like after the initial shock wears off, of course it's still a tragedy, but life has to go on... especially if we get the best news possible that he's recovering.

I agree with most of this.

I think a part of it is they are wanting to see what happens with him because if you play Wednesday and he passes away or is deemed status up in the air or something during or before the game then what? It could take awhile for test before they know his situation and especially if you are going to try and play tomorrow. All the logistics involved in that.

That is why I think playing may not even happen and I am not sure that it should.

cmh6476 01-03-2023 08:56 AM

Quote:

and, the opportunity for the team to rally behind him and this tragedy

BigBeauford 01-03-2023 08:56 AM

Quote:

I'm sure it was a traumatic moment and a day off seems appropriate, but I think tommorow (today)is go time. If myself and other military folks can continue on after losing a brother, these men have it in them to continue on as well. Hell, I've worked in an office job where a guy collapsed and died walking up the stairs that everyone loved (they even broke out the wall defibrillator kit in front of many people to shock him back), and we continued working the next day.

Eleazar 01-03-2023 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 16705705)
pft
Quote:

We await further information regarding Bills safety Damar Hamlin, who remains at last word in critical condition at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center after experiencing cardiac arrest on the field during last night’s game. We have nothing at this time to say about any other issues in the NFL, and we have suspended coverage of all other topics or subjects until further notice.

That said, there is a significant open question as to the status of what was one of the most significant late-season Monday night games in years.

PFT: "Because we're afraid people will roast us on Twitter, we've suspended all coverage of all other issues in the NFL beyond Damar Hamlin's health.

Anyway, there's the open question of when the game will be rescheduled..."

:doh!:

mr. tegu 01-03-2023 08:59 AM

Just schedule it for tomorrow and make the other games Monday. By tomorrow (and any time today really) they will likely know the long term prognosis of the player so the uncertainty and mystery will be gone.

TLO 01-03-2023 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 16705691)
Easy solution is to play the game tomorrow and move their week 18 games from Sunday to Monday. Then you make sure if they have to play on wildcard weekend that their games are on Sunday and not Saturday. This gives both teams one day extra rest as compared to a normal Thursday night game for their games on Monday and still gives them the same amount of rest as any of the teams that have to play on Saturday the first week of the playoffs.

This has the least amount of disruption to the rest of the league and still treats the Bengals and Bills with as much fairness as possible.

This is the solution I'm leaning towards

smithandrew051 01-03-2023 09:03 AM

If the game (understandably) can’t be played today or tomorrow, then the only option that makes sense to me is to cancel it and not award a victory to either. Win percentage determines seeding, followed by head to head.

It isn’t fair to the Bengals and Bills, but I don’t see an option that would be fair to them and the rest of the league.

I know it sounds callous, but it’s probably best to keep the unfair things limited to as few of teams as possible.

Hoover 01-03-2023 09:09 AM

Quote:

One possibility would be to move the game to the coming weekend, with all of Week 18 moved back by a week — and with the playoffs nudged back by a week and the bye between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl eliminated. That happened in 2001, when a full week of September games was postponed until the very end of the regular season after 9/11, with the playoffs delayed by a week and only seven days between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

The other possibility would be to cancel the game, and to determine playoff seeding based on winning percentages, given that the Bills and Bengals would have played only 16 games. The NFL was prepared to implement such measures during the 2020 season, when it seemed very possible that the pandemic would result in the cancellation of one or more games.
I think option two is the only viable option.

For the life of me I can't see the NFL not playing, or only having one game on weekend where there were going to have two stand alone Saturday games and a full slate on Sunday.

I really thing the best case is to simply not play the game and simply move on to next week. It gives the Bengals and Bills time to move on. It doesn't disrupt the rest of the season or the playoffs.

Marcellus 01-03-2023 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 16705721)
If the game (understandably) can’t be played today or tomorrow, then the only option that makes sense to me is to cancel it and not award a victory to either. Win percentage determines seeding, followed by head to head.

It isn’t fair to the Bengals and Bills, but I don’t see an option that would be fair to them and the rest of the league.

I know it sounds callous, but it’s probably best to keep the unfair things limited to as few of teams as possible.

The 2 teams involved are the only 2 teams it should affect. It is what it is.