ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What is the main source of conflict in the world? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=97895)

Mark M 09-08-2004 11:51 AM

Where is the "It's all Gaz's fault" option?

MM
~~:shrug:

ROYC75 09-08-2004 11:53 AM

Combination of these .....Religious intolerance ,Self-interest - seizure of resources, etc

C-Mac 09-08-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Yea, I think Religion might win because of "a sign of the times", but really think about it, Religion is not it. Religion is oft cited as an EXCUSE for war, bloodshed, etc..but there ALWAYS is an underlying motive.

Dig a little deaper in that history......religion is #1 reason for conflict.

Saulbadguy 09-08-2004 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Mac
Dig a little deaper in that history......religion is #1 reason for conflict.

It could be either or, but I believe economic desparity and self-interest to be the underlying factor. This of course being on a larger scale. On a smaller scale, why do individuals kill one another? I can guarantee you the #1 cause is NOT religion.

C-Mac 09-08-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Hmm. I probably should have put xenophobia and tribalism on there as an option. Can a moderator add it?

I answered religion out of kneejerk habit, but the more I think about it the more I wonder if it's cultural differences. Of course, the truth is that the two are fundamentally intertwined.

Yes, but all due respect, "culture" is basically molded from ones religion and usually is defined after a "religion" has been established.

Clint in Wichita 09-08-2004 12:02 PM

Quote:

.....far better place if there was no "violent or intolerant" religion.(which basically covers most)

So the opposite I assume would be worship of "inferior beings" or basically "self worship"?

All violent and intolerant religions began as "normal" religions.

What I meant was NO worship AT ALL.

Saulbadguy 09-08-2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

Yes, but all due respect, "culture" is basically molded from ones religion and usually is defined after a "religion" has been established.

Hmm...interesting. Very interesting. But I think we've past all that, at least in this country. We have Black jews, Asian christians, and White buddhists. Culture now a days is more defined by economic disparity, and even political beliefs added in. 200 years ago, i'd say you were right on the money.

go bo 09-08-2004 01:11 PM

territorial disputes, arising from economic, political and/or cultural causes...

most conflict seems to occur when one group wants to take control of territory belonging to (or claimed by) another group...

colonial conquest and the resulting nationalistic movements, nazis and others bent on world domination, serbs engaging in ethnic cleansing to take control of non-serbian (or partially serbian) areas, the israeli-arab dispute, the chechnya-russia dispute...

in a sense, even terrorism is related (at least in part) to one group (terrorists) wanting to eject westerners from their lands and gain control of muslim lands...

HC_Chief 09-08-2004 01:18 PM

The only source of conflict in life = desire. Thus sayeth the Buddah :D

BigRedChief 09-08-2004 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M
Where is the "It's all Gaz's fault" option?

MM
~~:shrug:

WTF a long timer like Rain man leaving off a "Gaz" option? Who wudda thunk it? :hmmm:

Jenson71 09-08-2004 01:26 PM

Corrupt leaders, of corrupt nations, of corrupt religions, driven by greed.

Hydrae 09-08-2004 01:37 PM

I looked at this as a question about conflicts around the world in my lifetime. Since it seems like a lot of that would be conflicts in Central America and Africa, I voted for the political motives option. Since most of those conflicts are along the civil war lines, it is all about who has the power irregardless of religion, culture and race. This could be looked at as attempts to even out economic disparity (often the case in civil wars, the poor rising against the rich) or simple self interest (can you say dictator?).

Over all though, most of the conflicts going on in the world are things that we common Americans are not even aware of or are aware of peripherally only.

ptlyon 09-08-2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
How is "Women" not an option?

Please see post #1

Raiderhater 09-08-2004 01:43 PM

Could you not list most of, if not all of, the options under self interest?

ptlyon 09-08-2004 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
You're the only one making any sense on this thread.

Oh Mega Hella Rep