ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Todd Haley is the "Mystery of Pittsburgh" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261647)

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760559)
Yeah, same old Chiefs beat the previously undefeated Packers decisively with Jackie Battle running the ball, Barry Richardson manning the right tackle spot, Sabby Piscatelli at safety and Kyle Orton as the QB.

Juggernaut of offensive and defensive talent.

We beat the Packers because they dropped too many passes.

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8760549)
Wasn't it Romeo's first game as HC, and the Chiefs were flagged for 12 men on the field very early? I'm thinking the first series or something?

And there was all sorts of talk about "renewed commitment" and "attention to detail" circulating in the media the week leading up to the game.

But it was "same old Chiefs." I could be wrong and am ****ing up the timeline on this.

Plus, a horrendous challenge (I think it was against Oakland). I just remember it was on a catch so obvious that the replay only had to show it once.

You're right on the 12 men on the field. They also had 10 men on the field and had to call a timeout. Against Oakland, they had 2 blocked field goals because they didn't make an adjustment, so the same exact thing happened. Though on each of these things, I think that's moreso on Hoffman than on Romeo.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760564)
Sorry, I can't.

I just know in my gut that a team of Romeo, Daboll and Cassel is a freaking joke.

I mean, we should have someone who's accomplished something in their current position SOMEWHERE among those three positions if we want to actually beat people, don't you think?

Thanks for the truthful admission.

I think that Romeo is among the best Defensive Coordinators of the past two decades. He constantly puts his players in a position to "win" each series and I think that we can all say that we've seen obvious growth in older players such as DJ and in younger players such as Hali, Dorsey and even Jackson.

As for Daboll, I didn't follow Cleveland when both he and Romeo were in that dreadful organization. But I do know that no one has had any success since Bill Belichick's 1994 season. It's been a complete and utter black hole since returning to the league and Mike Holmgren, who had Super Bowl success in Green Bay and Seattle, is spinning his wheels in the mud in Cleveland.

Daboll took over a bad Miami offense last year and without the help of OTA's and Mini-camps, created an offense about six games in that scored something like 25 points a game. He made Reggie Bush a complete running back for the first time in career and made guys like Anthony Fasano and Matt Moore appear respectable. I'd like to think that with the Chiefs offensive line and weapons, he'll be able to pick up where he left off in Miami and oversee an extremely potent offense, despite Cassel's shortcomings.

I am making no predictions at this point in time but I am hopeful that this young teams takes a huge leap on offense and the defense becomes a top NFL unit with the return of Eric Berry, the continued maturation of Dorsey, Jackson, Houston, Belcher and Lewis, along with the additions of Poe and Menzie.

The future is brighter than it's been in decades, IMO.

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 10:32 PM

Even if he won a couple games, the shine came off Romeo as soon as he showed he was cool with coaching a team led by Matt Cassel.

He's just collecting a paycheck.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760568)
We beat the Packers because they dropped too many passes.

Sure.

And the Dwayne Bowe singlehandedly loses games because he drops too many passes.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8760573)
Though on each of these things, I think that's moreso on Hoffman than on Romeo.

And where is Hoffman now?

Otter 07-22-2012 10:35 PM

If I had a choice of grabbing a beer with Haley or Pioli it would be Haley hands down. While neither are an angel in the situation I'm sure I'm pretty sure one of them isn't hiding behind upper management and bureaucracy.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760580)
Even if he won a couple games, the shine came off Romeo as soon as he showed he was cool with coaching a team led by Matt Cassel.

He's just collecting a paycheck.

So, you would have preferred that he publicly call out the QB and GM?

Which planet do you live on, again?

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8760589)
If I had a choice of grabbing a beer with Haley or Pioli it would be Haley hands down. While neither are an angel in the situation I'm sure I'm pretty sure one of them isn't hiding behind upper management and bureaucracy.

Haley's a ****ing moron. I feel sorry for Steelers fans.

While I have been extremely vocal in my dislike for many of Pioli's decisions, this roster is among the best and youngest in decades. Outside of the QB situation, he's done a fine job.

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760590)
So, you would have preferred that he publicly call out the QB and GM?

Which planet do you live on, again?

I would have preferred he not take the job, and force Pioli to do something smart.

Romeo is smart enough to know he isn't winning shit with Cassel. He's not gonna turn down a nice raise, though.

It's kind of like a guy getting promoted to manager and running a restaurant that's going under. Why would he turn down the promotion?

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760579)
Thanks for the truthful admission.

I think that Romeo is among the best Defensive Coordinators of the past two decades. He constantly puts his players in a position to "win" each series and I think that we can all say that we've seen obvious growth in older players such as DJ and in younger players such as Hali, Dorsey and even Jackson.

As for Daboll, I didn't follow Cleveland when both he and Romeo were in that dreadful organization. But I do know that no one has had any success since Bill Belichick's 1994 season. It's been a complete and utter black hole since returning to the league and Mike Holmgren, who had Super Bowl success in Green Bay and Seattle, is spinning his wheels in the mud in Cleveland.

Daboll took over a bad Miami offense last year and without the help of OTA's and Mini-camps, created an offense about six games in that scored something like 25 points a game. He made Reggie Bush a complete running back for the first time in career and made guys like Anthony Fasano and Matt Moore appear respectable. I'd like to think that with the Chiefs offensive line and weapons, he'll be able to pick up where he left off in Miami and oversee an extremely potent offense, despite Cassel's shortcomings.

I am making no predictions at this point in time but I am hopeful that this young teams takes a huge leap on offense and the defense becomes a top NFL unit with the return of Eric Berry, the continued maturation of Dorsey, Jackson, Houston, Belcher and Lewis, along with the additions of Poe and Menzie.

The future is brighter than it's been in decades, IMO.

I agree with you on Romeo as a Defensive Coordinator. I think he's a terrific coach and a terrific playcaller. And I agree that he is probably one of the better at both in the game right now.

As a head coach... he had some problems in Cleveland. You're right that maybe in his second stint, he fixes them. But we can't ignore that they happened. He has to be a better game manager in KC and he has to shed the reputation that he is soft on his players in a head coaching capacity. I hope he fixes those and I'm rooting for him to fix them. But for now, they're areas of concern for me until I see him prove those are things of the past.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760595)
I would have preferred he not take the job, and force Pioli to do something smart.

You expect a man that's offered an NFL head coaching job to say "No"?

ROFL

notorious 07-22-2012 10:44 PM

I just hope that Cleveland really is/was the blackhole for successful coaches.

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760586)
And where is Hoffman now?

Exactly. I don't blame those mistakes on Romeo. I don't know how much he had power to influence that.

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760582)
Sure.

And the Dwayne Bowe singlehandedly loses games because he drops too many passes.

Dude, I'm serious. Go back and watch the game if you can. They screwed up about seven or eight plays they normally make.

The football gods smiled on us that day.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8760597)
But we can't ignore that they happened.

Wrong.

I'm ignoring it. It's that simple. I'll take Romeo at face value in KC. If he's great, awesome. If he's average, that's too bad. If he's awful, the Chiefs will hire someone else.

But what happened in Cleveland, CLEVELAND of all places, should not be the sole barometer of the job he'll do in Kansas City. It shouldn't even factor in because it's the real Black Hole of the NFL.

DeezNutz 07-22-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760559)
Juggernaut of offensive and defensive talent.

True, but we lost Orton.

FTR, I'm willing to give Romeo a chance.

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760599)
You expect a man that's offered an NFL head coaching job to say "No"?

ROFL

No, I don't. I'm not surprised he took the job.

That's a nice raise. Nice fat check to throw in the retirement fund right before retirement.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760603)
Dude, I'm serious. Go back and watch the game if you can. They screwed up about seven or eight plays they normally make.

The football gods smiled on us that day.

I am absolutely unwilling to say that the Chiefs won that day because the Packers lost. It's the NFL. There are no gimmies.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8760606)
True, but we lost Orton.

FTR, I'm willing to give Romeo a chance.

Personally, I'm not happy with the fact that Pioli didn't seem to make an effort to re-sign Orton. The Packers game was the first game since 2005 that I felt like I was watching a NFL-caliber starting QB (and Orton is just average, at best).

I really can't figure out Pioli's end game at QB. It's difficult to have any kind of feel for Stanzi because he missed OTA's and Mini Camps in 2011, so he was certainly behind the curve entering training camp. And I'm quite glad that he wasn't thrown to the wolves last year, unprepared, because that could have shattered his confidence, although a more suitable backup should have been signed.

Pioli should be ashamed to have had Tyler Palko as his starting QB.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760609)
I am absolutely unwilling to say that the Chiefs won that day because the Packers lost. It's the NFL. There are no gimmies.

Shit, if anything we wrote the book on how to beat the packers last year. Did you notice once we exposed them the Giants followed our script to the t.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8760628)
Shit, if anything we wrote the book on how to beat the packers last year. Did you notice once we exposed them the Giants followed our script to the t.

But, but Romeo can't handle being a Head Coach AND a Defensive Coordinator!

:D

All joking aside, I think Romeo earned a chance to coach this team in 2012. The Chiefs were one or two plays from winning the division against Oakland. If Haley hadn't started Palko for four weeks, I think the Chiefs would have won the division with Romeo.

Anyway, I'll judge him on his head coaching performance in KC, not on his performance in Cleveland. And quite honestly, I saw what I liked when he took over and hope that he can continue to move this team forward.

Titty Meat 07-22-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760605)
Wrong.

I'm ignoring it. It's that simple. I'll take Romeo at face value in KC. If he's great, awesome. If he's average, that's too bad. If he's awful, the Chiefs will hire someone else.

But what happened in Cleveland, CLEVELAND of all places, should not be the sole barometer of the job he'll do in Kansas City. It shouldn't even factor in because it's the real Black Hole of the NFL.

Ok what about the shit game he coached vs Oakland last year?

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760640)
Ok what about the shit game he coached vs Oakland last year?

Yeah, you're right. It's Crennel's fault that Orton threw for 300 yards and Succop missed two field goals and the Chiefs lost by three OT.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760639)
But, but Romeo can't handle being a Head Coach AND a Defensive Coordinator!

:D

All joking aside, I think Romeo earned a chance to coach this team in 2012. The Chiefs were one or two plays from winning the division against Oakland. If Haley hadn't started Palko for four weeks, I think the Chiefs would have won the division with Romeo.

Anyway, I'll judge him on his head coaching performance in KC, not on his performance in Cleveland. And quite honestly, I saw what I liked when he took over and hope that he can continue to move this team forward.

Completely agree, but if Cassel sinks I expect Crennel and Pioli to do the right thing and move this team forward. I can't help but feel like Haley was fired for trying to get Cassel replaced. Thus his father, Dick Haley, referring to him as average and Haley getting canned for such a thought.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8760651)
I can't help but feel like Haley was fired for trying to get Cassel replaced.

Todd Haley was the worst game day coach I can recall seeing in my years as a Chiefs fan. He made idiotic decisions week in and week out, whether it was playcalling, personnel groups, calling out his players, etc.

The only thing that Todd Haley did well in Kansas City was to get the players in shape and for that, I think he'd make a fine Strength and Conditioning coach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8760651)
Thus his father, Dick Haley, referring to him as average and Haley getting canned for such a thought.

Father covering for his son, who by the way, pulled the strings to get the son hired in Pittsburgh.

Titty Meat 07-22-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760648)
Yeah, you're right. It's Crennel's fault that Orton threw for 300 yards and Succop missed two field goals and the Chiefs lost by three OT.

The penalties and blocked field goals weren't because of bad coaching? Interesting.

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760617)
Personally, I'm not happy with the fact that Pioli didn't seem to make an effort to re-sign Orton.

He made an effort, and he lowballed him.

He has a very high opinion of goody two-shoes Cassel, and a low opinion of a drunkard like Orton.

Pioli is all about the intangibles. That's why he loooooves team captains!

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760668)
The penalties and blocked field goals weren't because of bad coaching? Interesting.

Why don't you point out the "bad" decisions instead of acting like nit-picky woman?

BigMeatballDave 07-22-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760668)

How is a blocked FG bad coaching?

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8760673)
How is a blocked FG bad coaching?

Because we didn't adjust to the way Oakland was attacking FGs.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760671)
He made an effort, and he lowballed him.

Fact or speculation? I heard nothing about an offer to Orton, in the press or otherwise, other than the deal he received to back up Romo in Dallas.

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760677)
Fact or speculation? I heard nothing about an offer to Orton, in the press or otherwise, other than the deal he received to back up Romo in Dallas.

Pioli has been publicly quoted as saying they wanted Orton back, but the Cowboys made Orton a "very, very generous offer."

He scoffed at 3 years and 10.5 mil.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760679)
Pioli has been publicly quoted as saying they wanted Orton back, but the Cowboys made Orton a "very, very generous offer."

He scoffed at 3 years and 10.5 mil.

Again, is this fact or speculation?

BigMeatballDave 07-22-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760675)

LOL

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 11:34 PM

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UAziJrTbBj0

Quote:

But Chiefs GM Scott Pioli said Friday that Orton and the team have mutual interest in reuniting.

"We've talked to Kyle's people. It sounds like Kyle would like to be with us. We've told Kyle we'd like to continue to work with him. Now it's just a matter of seeing if things arrive at the right place," said Pioli,
They flat out lowballed him.

http://m.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/ma...un-at-manning/

Quote:

"We made it abundantly clear to Kyle before he left for the offseason — and when the offseason started — that we would like to have him back and have him in this situation," Pioli said.

Instead, Orton agreed to a three-year deal with the Cowboys.

"I can't speak for Kyle in saying why he chose that situation," Pioli said, "but I know it was one heck of a contract he received. A very, very generous contract, which he earned."

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760675)

And where is Steve Hoffman these days?

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760656)
Todd Haley was the worst game day coach I can recall seeing in my years as a Chiefs fan. He made idiotic decisions week in and week out, whether it was playcalling, personnel groups, calling out his players, etc.

The only thing that Todd Haley did well in Kansas City was to get the players in shape and for that, I think he'd make a fine Strength and Conditioning coach.

Father covering for his son, who by the way, pulled the strings to get the son hired in Pittsburgh.

Touche.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760686)
The flat out lowballed him.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...llas-tony-romo

You didn’t want to go somewhere where you had a chance of competing to be the starter?

"Well I’ve kind of been in that situation the last three or four years just going into camp and competing. To be honest with you I don’t think that situation has worked for me. I don’t think it’s worked out for the club. I think you need to know who your guy is going to be going right into the season and backing that guy. I don’t think that’s been the situation that I have been in and I really didn’t want to get into that situation again. I’m fine with knowing my role as the backup on this team. I am going to be the best backup I can and support Tony [Romo] any way that I can."

------------------

Yeah, it really sounds like he wanted a starting job in the NFL.

:rolleyes:

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 11:39 PM

Sounds to me like he wanted the Chiefs to pay him starter money to be the starter, and didn't want any part of competing with another piece of shit QB.

If the other option was Cassel, why not?

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760697)
Sounds to me like he wanted the Chiefs to pay him starter money to be the starter, and didn't want any part of competing with another piece of shit QB.

If the other option was Cassel, why not?

And it sounds to me like he either wanted the starting job handed to him or he'd go elsewhere to be a back up. Pioli likely told him he had to compete for the job and Orton said "Adios, Muchacho".

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760699)
And it sounds to me like he either wanted the starting job handed to him or he'd go elsewhere to be a back up. Pioli likely told him he had to compete for the job and Orton said "Adios, Muchacho".

And I don't blame him.

Pioli will regret the decision. But there's no doubt his ego couldn't take being told what was up by Kyle Orton.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760704)
And I don't blame him.

Pioli will regret the decision. But there's no doubt his ego couldn't take being told what was up by Kyle Orton.

It's clear that Kyle Orton didn't want to compete for a starting NFL job. That being the case, I'm happy Pioli didn't sign him.

Titty Meat 07-22-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760672)
Why don't you point out the "bad" decisions instead of acting like nit-picky woman?

A nit-picky woman? Lame.

For starters 11 penalties for 88 yards for what all intents and purposes was a playoff game.

2 blocked field goals. The 2nd one we didn't adjust despite Seymor getting penetration all day IIRC he almost blocked another one.

Going for it on 4th down in our own territory on 4th down with plenty of time left in the game.

The overall game was just sloppy go back and read the game day thread. Some of the very knowledgeable posters said that was one of the sloppiest coached games they've ever seen.

You mentioned Orton threw for 300 yards and this important to point out: Cassel doesn't have the ability to throw for 300 yards in a game. Crennel barely won those 2 games and easily would have gone 0-3 with Cassel. He was hired not because he gives the team the best chance at winning a super bowl. He was hired because he's familiar with Scott Pioli who didn't want to take a chance because another losing season or 2 and he's canned.

The overall talent might be better but as far as the QB position it's just as bad if not worse than it was in Cleveland.

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud
It's clear that Kyle Orton didn't want to compete for a starting NFL job. That being the case, I'm happy Pioli didn't sign him.

Me too, to be honest.

Pioli has done a fine job of positioning a toaster next to his bathtub.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 11:52 PM

Dane vs toad = batman vs joker. An unstoppable force meeting an immovable object.
:popcorn:

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 11:55 PM

Some men just want to watch Chiefsplanet burn.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760709)
For starters 11 penalties for 88 yards for what all intents and purposes was a playoff game.

First off, the team competed far more under Crennel than they did under Haley. That much was evident by the naked eye.

Secondly, I don't think that any reasonable person would expect immediate miracles, especially when the roster still consisted of Jackie Battle, Barry Richardson, Kyle Orton, Sabby Piscatelli, etc. and so on.

Quote:

2 blocked field goals. The 2nd one we didn't adjust despite Seymor getting penetration all day IIRC he almost blocked another one.

If you want to blame someone, blame Steve Hoffman. BTW, he was fired.

Quote:

Going for it on 4th down in our own territory on 4th down with plenty of time left in the game.

So it's GREAT when Haley does it (oh, he's so daring) but when Crennel does it, it's a bad decision? Bullshit. When going for it on fourth down works, the coach is a genius. When it doesn't, he's an imbecile.

Quote:

The overall game was just sloppy go back and read the game day thread.

Is that what you just did?

Quote:

The overall talent might be better but as far as the QB position it's just as bad if not worse than it was in Cleveland.

Laughable. Just ****ing laughable.

Name ONE season in Cleveland where Crennel had a defense as talented as the Chiefs. Cleveland has NEVER had perimeter weapons like Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Moeaki and Boss simultaneously, along with a running back like Charles.

The Browns and Chiefs may be equal in terms of QB suckage during Crennel's tenure, but that's about the only parallel that should be drawn.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760718)
Some men just want to watch Chiefsplanet burn.

LMAO

lcarus 07-22-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760707)

It's kind of odd. Orton had to have known he could beat out Cassel for the starting job right? Unless he was led to believe Cassel would be the starter no matter what. In which case he'd rather backup a QB that actually deserved to be a starter.

Either that, or he doesn't give a shit about being a starter or competing for a starting gig, in which case, **** Kyle Orton.

Hammock Parties 07-23-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8760721)
Either that, or he doesn't give a shit about being a starter or competing for a starting gig, in which case, **** Kyle Orton.

I never thought this was the case.

There are 32 of these jobs in the world. Who wouldn't want to be an NFL starting QB?

And even if it was the case, sign Orton, bench Cassel, and tell Kyle to deal with it. What's he gonna do? Throw games?

lcarus 07-23-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760724)
I never thought this was the case.

There are 32 of these jobs in the world. Who wouldn't want to be an NFL starting QB?

And even if it was the case, sign Orton, bench Cassel, and tell Kyle to deal with it. What's he gonna do? Throw games?

Beats me. I don't understand the situation. Orton is clearly better than Cassel. Something tells me Pioli made it clear that Cassel was "the man" in KC so Orton said **** you then.

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

It's kind of odd. Orton had to have known he could beat out Cassel for the starting job right? Unless he was led to believe Cassel would be the starter no matter what. In which case he'd rather backup a QB that actually deserved to be a starter.

Well, if you read that article, in short, Orton says he's done competing for a starting job. He likes the notion of being the backup only. The starter should be clearly defined.

It sounds to me like he was sick of competing against Tebow and didn't want to compete against Cassel. So, he took the next best thing which was to back up Romo and collect a fat paycheck.

I can't blame him for that but I'm glad he's not on the Chiefs roster.

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760719)
First off, the team competed far more under Crennel than they did under Haley. That much was evident by the naked eye.

Secondly, I don't think that any reasonable person would expect immediate miracles, especially when the roster still consisted of Jackie Battle, Barry Richardson, Kyle Orton, Sabby Piscatelli, etc. and so on.

If you want to blame someone, blame Steve Hoffman. BTW, he was fired.

So it's GREAT when Haley does it (oh, he's so daring) but when Crennel does it, it's a bad decision? Bullshit. When going for it on fourth down works, the coach is a genius. When it doesn't, he's an imbecile.

Is that what you just did?

Laughable. Just ****ing laughable.

Name ONE season in Cleveland where Crennel had a defense as talented as the Chiefs. Cleveland has NEVER had perimeter weapons like Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Moeaki and Boss simultaneously, along with a running back like Charles.

The Browns and Chiefs may be equal in terms of QB suckage during Crennel's tenure, but that's about the only parallel that should be drawn.

1. You just said Haley was an awful coach so that's not saying much.

2. Hoffman was a scape goat. Is it a coincidence that Clevelands special teams sucked when Crennel was the coach?

3. Find a post where I said it was great that Haley went for it on 4th downs. I believe I talked about this in another thread where I said Haley was a moron for going for it on 4th down on the 28 yard line against Denver.

4. Laughable? The QB position is the most important position. Crennel sucked in Cleveland because of bad coaching and shitty QB's how is that different here?

mdchiefsfan 07-23-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

It sounds to me like he wanted to know his place, his role. By going to Dallas he put that decision in his own hands. He wanted stability and certainty, the fact that he found that as a backup tells me what kind of competitor he is.

lcarus 07-23-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760728)
Well, if you read that article, in short, Orton says he's done competing for a starting job. He likes the notion of being the backup only. The starter should be clearly defined.

It sounds to me like he was sick of competing against Tebow and didn't want to compete against Cassel. So, he took the next best thing which was to back up Romo and collect a fat paycheck.

I can't blame him for that but I'm glad he's not on the Chiefs roster.

I can't blame him for that either I guess. Doesn't matter though. He's not our answer anyway. I'd rather see what Stanzi can do if Cassel goes down. If that doesn't work out, then we're back to square one.

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760729)
2. Hoffman was a scape goat. Is it a coincidence that Clevelands special teams sucked when Crennel was the coach?

Hoffman was a scape goat? What? Succop was not good last year, at all and he wasn't "great" the year before. Coupled with the blocked field goals, it was time for him to go.

I said it in 2009 and I'll say it again now: It was a mistake to cut Connor Barth in favor of Succop. Succop was Pioli's 7th round draft choice and he's hardly been special.

Meanwhile, Barth just signed a 4 year, $13 million dollar deal in Tampa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760729)
4. Laughable? The QB position is the most important position. Crennel sucked in Cleveland because of bad coaching and shitty QB's how is that different here?

So, Crennel sucks because he doesn't have a QB? What the **** kind of logic is that?

Furthermore, he fired key members of Haley's staff and replaced them with his own choices. Condemning him to failure based on the Raiders game is ridiculously premature.

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:10 AM

There's talk that Orton didn't want to compete but that doesn't make sense.

When has Pioli ever paid a backup QB (besides Cassel) 5 million dollars per year?

mcaj22 07-23-2012 12:10 AM

he probably thought the odds were stacked against him in KC to even compete. If you think he would ever have a chance to legit beat out Cassel no matter how he looked in practice or what media said in training camp, he would have still been the backup opening day anyway, just like with Tebow.

So he took more money to do the same thing in Dallas behind an actual QB that is better than him, so his role looks more legitimate, because I'm sure to Kyle Orton, he knows and thinks he's better than Cassel.

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8760736)
I can't blame him for that either I guess. Doesn't matter though. He's not our answer anyway. I'd rather see what Stanzi can do if Cassel goes down. If that doesn't work out, then we're back to square one.

I'd prefer that Stanzi be brought along slowly. As I previously mentioned, he wasn't privy to OTA's and Mini Camps in 2011, which would have put him further along last year. This year, he's participated in both, although they've been greatly reduced over prior years due to the new CBA.

If Cassel is hurt or is absolutely abysmal, I expect to see Quinn for at least a few games, if not the rest of the season. Unless Stanzi makes an enormous jump this year, I'm betting he won't be a contender for the starting job until 2013.

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760738)
Hoffman was a scape goat? What? Succop was not good last year, at all and he wasn't "great" the year before. Coupled with the blocked field goals, it was time for him to go.

I said it in 2009 and I'll say it again now: It was a mistake to cut Connor Barth in favor of Succop. Succop was Pioli's 7th round draft choice and he's hardly been special.

Meanwhile, Barth just signed a 4 year, $13 million dollar deal in Tampa.

So, Crennel sucks because he doesn't have a QB? What the **** kind of logic is that?

Furthermore, he fired key members of Haley's staff and replaced them with his own choices. Condemning him to failure based on the Raiders game is ridiculously premature.

Succop must not be that bad they extended himl.

Read what I said man. Cleveland had shit for QB AND CRENNEL WAS A SHITTY COACH.

Awesome. He fired members of Haley's staff and hired Brian Daboll who's offenses have sucked and the Rams ST coach whos special teams sucked. Like I said these aren't improvements.

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760740)
There's talk that Orton didn't want to compete but that doesn't make sense.

Talk? Orton says it plain as day in the interview I linked. There was no other way to interpret his words. He did not want to compete.

"Well I’ve kind of been in that situation the last three or four years just going into camp and competing. To be honest with you I don’t think that situation has worked for me. I don’t think it’s worked out for the club. I think you need to know who your guy is going to be going right into the season and backing that guy. I don’t think that’s been the situation that I have been in and I really didn’t want to get into that situation again. I’m fine with knowing my role as the backup on this team."

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760751)
Succop must not be that bad they extended himl.

Read what I said man. Cleveland had shit for QB AND CRENNEL WAS A SHITTY COACH.

Awesome. He fired members of Haley's staff and hired Brian Daboll who's offenses have sucked and the Rams ST coach whos special teams sucked. Like I said these aren't improvements.

Daboll's offense sucked in Miami? I guessed I missed the last half of their 2011 season.

Extending Succop was a mistake, IMO. He's nothing more than average, at best.

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760752)
Talk? Orton says it plain as day in the interview I linked. There was no other way to interpret his words. He did not want to compete.

"Well I’ve kind of been in that situation the last three or four years just going into camp and competing. To be honest with you I don’t think that situation has worked for me. I don’t think it’s worked out for the club. I think you need to know who your guy is going to be going right into the season and backing that guy. I don’t think that’s been the situation that I have been in and I really didn’t want to get into that situation again. I’m fine with knowing my role as the backup on this team."

That doesn't mean he doesn't want to compete for a job. It could mean the "competition" was lopsided. We all know the only reason they played Tebow was because he was a first round pick. Do you honestly think Orton would be given a fair chance to compete against Cassel? Yeah right. Cassel is Pioli's boy. I bet the Chiefs didn't offer Orton 5 mil per either.

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:19 AM

Peter King on the signing of Orton:

I'm amazed that the Dallas Cowboys paid Orton -- who I consider the best of the available backups, and not by a small amount -- a $5 million signing bonus for a five-year deal that will likely void to three years. I understand sleeping better at night, which the Cowboys will do now that they have maybe the best backup quarterback in football as insurance for Tony Romo instead of the iffy Stephen McGee. But I've never heard of paying a guy you hope will never play a $5 million signing bonus.

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760758)
That doesn't mean he doesn't want to compete for a job. It could mean the "competition" was lopsided. We all know the only reason they played Tebow was because he was a first round pick. Do you honestly think Orton would be given a fair chance to compete against Cassel? Yeah right. Cassel is Pioli's boy. I bet the Chiefs didn't offer Orton 5 mil per either.

Oh, give me a break. Your post is unfounded speculation.

Everyone knows his history with Tebow. Clearly, he didn't want to fight for a starting job with Cassel and decided to take the backup job in Dallas, plain and simple.

There's nothing more to it. He was tired of competing for a starting job and took the next best thing: A backup job with no competition.

Hammock Parties 07-23-2012 12:20 AM

Are we really complaining about an 81 percent FG kicker?

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:22 AM

BTW Dane, I've found a quote that contradicts the one you posted.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...rever/10972556

Tony Romo doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder, no matter what Kyle Orton says. Orton, the Cowboys' new backup quarterback, caused a minor stir during OTA's by saying he's not content being second string. "I feel like I've played good ball in this league," Orton told the Cowboys' official web site. "I feel I've got a lot of good ball left in me. I don't see this as committing myself to be the backup. I'm just committing myself to be a part of the team.

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760762)

I am. :D

I don't like Succop. Never have. I don't think he's a clutch guy.

mdchiefsfan 07-23-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8760762)

With cassel at qb? you bet your sweet ass :D

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760764)
BTW Dane, I've found a quote that contradicts the one you posted.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...rever/10972556

Tony Romo doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder, no matter what Kyle Orton says. Orton, the Cowboys' new backup quarterback, caused a minor stir during OTA's by saying he's not content being second string. "I feel like I've played good ball in this league," Orton told the Cowboys' official web site. "I feel I've got a lot of good ball left in me. I don't see this as committing myself to be the backup. I'm just committing myself to be a part of the team.

And in that same exact, run-on paragraph, Orton says this:

"Tony's the man, you know? There ain't no doubt about it," Orton said to dallascowboys.com. "He's played great football. He's a great quarterback. So I'm excited. It's really the first time I've been around another veteran in my career. I've done a lot of learning with young guys in the room. I can still learn a lot about football, and hopefully I can help him out in any way I can."

That hardly sounds like a guy who is going to push Romo for the starting job.

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760768)
And in that same exact, run-on paragraph, Orton says this:

"Tony's the man, you know? There ain't no doubt about it," Orton said to dallascowboys.com. "He's played great football. He's a great quarterback. So I'm excited. It's really the first time I've been around another veteran in my career. I've done a lot of learning with young guys in the room. I can still learn a lot about football, and hopefully I can help him out in any way I can."

That hardly sounds like a guy who is going to push Romo for the starting job.

He got a 5 million dollar signing bonus. How much were the Chiefs offering?

You know damn well the competition would have been lopsided in Cassel's favor just look at every other year he's been here theres never been a real backup QB on the team. That was done by design.

mdchiefsfan 07-23-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760771)

You know damn well the competition would have been lopsided in Cassel's favor just look at every other year he's been here theres never been a real backup QB on the team. That was done by design.

Plain and simple, he had a better shot of beating Cassel than he does Romo. Thats what it boils down to. He chose money over chance to start.

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Who knows? Do you? How much was any other team in the league offering?

Quote:

More speculation.

The reality is that Orton signed a contract to be a backup in Dallas. He didn't sign with Jacksonville or Miami or any other QB needy team. He didn't wait until Training Camp or PreSeason for a potential starting job due to injury. He signed to be a back up.

That's all you need to know about Kyle Orton.

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760777)
Who knows? Do you? How much was any other team in the league offering?

More speculation.

The reality is that Orton signed a contract to be a backup in Dallas. He didn't sign with Jacksonville or Miami or any other QB needy team. He didn't wait until Training Camp or PreSeason for a potential starting job due to injury. He signed to be a back up.

That's all you need to know about Kyle Orton.

It's speculation that Pioli who gave Cassel 63 million dollars wouldn't favor him? Really?

Yeah he signed because he got a 5 million dollar signing bonus.

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760779)
It's speculation that Pioli who gave Cassel 63 million dollars wouldn't favor him? Really?

Yeah he signed because he got a 5 million dollar signing bonus.

Wow, you're really not getting this, are you?

Kyle Orton did not want to be a starting QB. Period. End of story. Otherwise, he would have waited for a better opportunity. There was no reason for him to sign a deal immediately after free agency opened unless he had made the decision to be a backup.

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760781)
Wow, you're really not getting this, are you?

Kyle Orton did not want to be a starting QB. Period. End of story. Otherwise, he would have waited for a better opportunity. There was no reason for him to sign a deal immediately after free agency opened unless he had made the decision to be a backup.

You're really not getting this.

He was offered a 5 million dollar signing bonus.

Post a link showing where another team offered him that much money.

Miami's owner didn't want him. They had a deal in place last year to trade for him Stephen Ross didn't want to pay him. Jacksonville drafted a QB in the first round last year.

Where was he going to be the starter at?

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760785)
You're really not getting this.

He was offered a 5 million dollar signing bonus.

Post a link showing where another team offered him that much money.

Miami's owner didn't want him. They had a deal in place last year to trade for him Stephen Ross didn't want to pay him. Jacksonville drafted a QB in the first round last year.

Where was he going to be the starter at?

JFC, you are a ****ing moron.

IF Kyle Orton WANTED to be a STARTING QB, he would have competed with Cassel or WAITED until a STARTING POSITION was available elsewhere.

PERIOD.

His actions PROVE that he was CONTENT with being a backup. NO ONE FORCED HIM TO SIGN A CONTRACT.

Is it just me or did you somehow become dumber in my absence?

Titty Meat 07-23-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8760788)
JFC, you are a ****ing moron.

IF Kyle Orton WANTED to be a STARTING QB, he would have competed with Cassel or WAITED until a STARTING POSITION was available elsewhere.

PERIOD.

His actions PROVE that he was CONTENT with being a backup. NO ONE FORCED HIM TO SIGN A CONTRACT.

Is it just me or did you somehow become dumber in my absence?

Says the guy who left an internet message board for over a year because someone called him a name.

There was no competition you moron. Matt Cassel is one of the highest paid Chiefs for a reason. Scott Pioli for whatever reason believes he's a good QB. The Chiefs were so serious about bringing in competition they signed Brady Quinn ROFL and last year they brought in Tyler Palko.

Is it just me or did you come back as an even bigger pussy?

mdchiefsfan 07-23-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8760790)
Says the guy who left an internet message board for over a year because someone called him a name.

There was no competition you moron. Matt Cassel is one of the highest paid Chiefs for a reason. Scott Pioli for whatever reason believes he's a good QB. The Chiefs were so serious about bringing in competition they signed Brady Quinn ROFL and last year they brought in Tyler Palko.

Is it just me or did you come back as an even bigger pussy?

Not trying to step into whatever history is between you, but regardless of what Orton felt, he had a better chance to start by joining the Chiefs. Romo is without a doubt the starter in Dallas, much like you are saying is the situation with Cassel. Cassel is a lesser quality qb therefore if he wanted to start, he would pick the weaker qb (ie. Cassel). He chose Dallas knowing what he was signing up for; money, not starting.