ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Black Panther (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308216)

Bowser 03-03-2018 12:33 PM

I liked it. Thought it was good to very good, but not in the top tier of Marvel films. Had some good chuckles spread out and good action. I thought Michael B. Jordan was great as Killmonger. It WAS a beautifully shot movie, though.

And I agree with NewChief and listo - T'Challa was just coming into his Black Panther abilities and was still mastering it, as it were. We'll see the badass he can be in Infinity War.

Tribal Warfare 03-03-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13447801)
I disagree with that interpretation. This was an origin story so I expected him to be a bit weak. I would have liked to see some cool mystical stuff in this one but I don't think it was necessary for the plot. That first fight he was fighting for a tie and his adversary was fighting to the death. That first fight against Killmonger, I expected Killmonger to beat his ass. He's nowhere near as 'hard' as Killmonger was. And he didn't have to accept Killmonger's challenge. I'd say accepting it showed a character flaw; arrogance. And not everyone just went along with the outcome. That particular conflict was one of the pivotal chunks of the movie's plot.

IMO, it wasn't arrogance but guilt. Thus, he was holding back slightly which is reinforced when he confronted his father concerning T'Chakka killing his brother and leaving Killmonger.

Passepartout 03-03-2018 04:13 PM

It is likely that it will pass $1B this weekend and looking at #1 for a third straight week.

listopencil 03-03-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13448405)
IMO, it wasn't arrogance but guilt. Thus, he was holding back slightly which is reinforced when he confronted his father concerning T'Chakka killing his brother and leaving Killmonger.

Yeah. Could be. It was a pretty complicated situation. I think anyone would be a bit messed up by it.

Upon Edit: When you can have reasonable discussions about character motivations in a movie like this, that's one sign of a good movie IMO.

Hawk 03-05-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 13447823)
As for his ability (or lack of) in the ritual fights, I think that can pretty easily be explained by him having the black panther power stripped from him just prior to the fight. If you're used to fighting all juiced up, it's got to be difficult to then fight without the juice and would take some time to get accustomed to it.

Yeah, I interpreted it that way too. They made a specific point of having him drink the liquid to remove his black panther powers just before each ritual fight so they would be fair fights. Without his special black panther powers, he's just a normal guy, and Killmonger was bigger and stronger than him in that scenario. His only hope was to be a superior fighter, but Killmonger got the better of him as Killmonger had only ever fought that way (without powers). Of course when they both had black panther powers in the final scene
Spoiler!

ThaVirus 03-05-2018 05:54 PM

He beat Mbaku pretty handily after drinking the solution and that dude was ****ing huge. Mbaku was ragdolling folks when they came in as reinforcements.

Tribal Warfare 03-05-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13451874)
He beat Mbaku pretty handily after drinking the solution and that dude was ****ing huge. Mbaku was ragdolling folks when they came in as reinforcements.

Hence, T'Challa holding back subconsciously due to guilt during the Killmonger fight gives the idea validation.

vailpass 03-06-2018 10:34 AM

Y'all are some nerdy mothers up in here:D

Setsuna 03-06-2018 02:03 PM

I enjoyed it very much tbh. Such a great origin story film. DC will never "catch up." Also:
Spoiler!

listopencil 03-08-2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13430496)
In the Cinematic Universe Shuri is the most intelligent

Any chance she becomes the next Iron Man? Seems like Robert Downey Junior is going to have to step away from the role before too long. Tony Stark finally does get killed and she takes his place?

BigRedChief 03-08-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13455845)
Any chance she becomes the next Iron Man? Seems like Robert Downey Junior is going to have to step away from the role before too long. Tony Stark finally does get killed and she takes his place?

Rumor mill is that in the 4th Avengers movie multiple major Avengers die. I could see Stark as being one of them. He has no superpowers. Out of his Ironman suit he is as vulnerable as any human being.

ThaVirus 03-08-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13455845)

They gave a young black girl the Iron Man mantle in the comics recently and snowflake white dudes lost their ****ing minds.. so I doubt they'll go that route in the MCU.

Mr. Plow 03-08-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13455984)
Rumor mill is that in the 4th Avengers movie multiple major Avengers die. I could see Stark as being one of them. He has no superpowers. Out of his Ironman suit he is as vulnerable as any human being.

My bet one is Cap.

Pitt Gorilla 03-08-2018 01:49 PM

Box Office: 'Black Panther' Tops $920 Million Worldwide

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#69c829b2647f

Tribal Warfare 03-08-2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13456107)
My bet one is Cap.

Cap and Tony because that will allow Sony not to refer to the MCU when they're doing a solo Spidey film.

The Franchise 03-08-2018 05:37 PM

Cap is obviously going to die so that Bucky can take over.

Mr. Plow 03-08-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13456965)
Cap and Tony because that will allow Sony not to refer to the MCU when they're doing a solo Spidey film.

The dynamic of the whole Spiderman/Disney/Sony thing is above my pay grade.

JD10367 03-08-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13456968)

Or just retire, so Chris Evans always has the door open for a future cameo.

listopencil 03-09-2018 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13455984)

I could see it. It would be an epic death.

listopencil 03-09-2018 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13456025)
They gave a young black girl the Iron Man mantle in the comics recently and snowflake white dudes lost their ****ing minds.. so I doubt they'll go that route in the MCU.

Well, **** a bunch of snowflake white dudes. I want good movies, with good characters, telling good stories.

listopencil 03-09-2018 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13456968)

The dynamic between the Black Panther and his sister Shuri reminds me of Captain America and Iron Man. BP/Cap and Shuri/IM. The way that the actress came across on the screen playing her, is there anyone else in the MCU who could pull off the RDJ attitude?

Tribal Warfare 03-09-2018 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13457837)
The way that the actress came across on the screen playing her, is there anyone else in the MCU who could pull off the RDJ attitude?

Ryan Reynolds :D

listopencil 03-09-2018 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13457844)
Ryan Reynolds :D

Not classy enough.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-09-2018 06:18 PM

A Wrinkle in Time a 3.4 for IMDB. Lmao at these Alt-right trolls

vailpass 03-09-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy tossed tigger's salad (Post 13458890)

Idiot.

Mr. Plow 03-10-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Find your safe space

listopencil 03-10-2018 07:18 PM

Quote:

Saw the trailer. Looks like shit.

Clyde Frog 03-12-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13460341)
Saw the trailer. Looks like shit.

This.

willi89 03-13-2018 04:01 AM

general reviews at rotten tomatoes are so-so. for me it was beautiful to watch, but not really engaging or moving

Rausch 03-13-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13456025)

No, they killed off 8 major white characters to promote diversity and the writing went to hell while doing it.

BP is the perfect example of how to do "diversity" right. Cage and Miles are more great examples.

When you have good writing, good production value, and good performances people will like your product. BP is going to make more than The Last Jedi all while people ACTUALLY LIKE the film...

Chitownchiefsfan 03-13-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13465783)
No, they killed off 8 major white characters to promote diversity and the writing went to hell while doing it.

BP is the perfect example of how to do "diversity" right. Cage and Miles are more great examples.

When you have good writing, good production value, and good performances people will like your product. BP is going to make more than The Last Jedi all while people ACTUALLY LIKE the film...

I liked the last jedi. Just sayin.

vailpass 03-14-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13465783)

Yep. The sympathy viewers are going to move on to the next cause at some point then we'll go back to entertainment being judged on it's merit.

chiefscafan 03-15-2018 11:08 AM

Is this movie really worth it?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20171201051945

cabletech94 03-15-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefscafan (Post 13470806)

yes.

if you are a marvel fan, yes indeed.

if you are just a casual movie fan, yes.

Chiefspants 03-16-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefscafan (Post 13470806)

Yes. It's excellent.

BlackOp 03-16-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willi89 (Post 13464846)
general reviews at rotten tomatoes are so-so. for me it was beautiful to watch, but not really engaging or moving

I just saw it..and agree. Had no emotional attachment to any of the characters...bad dialogue/acting in parts.

It's pretty much what I expected from a comic movie...good effects/production with a simple plot made for teens.

Forest Whitaker's character...should have picked someone else for that part. Didn't like the guy from Fargo either...Lead actor was good.

Baby Lee 05-25-2018 11:33 PM

Why do vegetarians have fishermen?

BWillie 05-27-2018 02:12 PM

Fantastic movie. Only superhero movies better are Batman Trilogy & Man In Steel (I think it's underrated). Top 3 characters are very well cast (Michael B Jordan, Main Character, The sister). Should have cast the CIA agent guy differently, though.

Buehler445 05-27-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13473817)
I just saw it..and agree. Had no emotional attachment to any of the characters...bad dialogue/acting in parts.

It's pretty much what I expected from a comic movie...good effects/production with a simple plot made for teens.

Forest Whitaker's character...should have picked someone else for that part. Didn't like the guy from Fargo either...Lead actor was good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13571456)
Fantastic movie. Only superhero movies better are Batman Trilogy & Man In Steel (I think it's underrated). Top 3 characters are very well cast (Michael B Jordan, Main Character, The sister). Should have cast the CIA agent guy differently, though.

You all realize Martin Freeman is in Civil War too, right? Can’t really recast him just because. He was pretty much the sole Explainer about how no one knows.

Your issue should be with the writing, not with Freeman. He’s one hell of a good actor (watch Sherlock on BBC. Like now. Do it)

Tribal Warfare 11-27-2019 08:30 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">RUMOR: Doctor Doom will reportedly appear in the sequel to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlackPanther?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BlackPanther</a>! <a href="https://t.co/Y7sbj74LhM">https://t.co/Y7sbj74LhM</a> <a href="https://t.co/si9tKEoaSF">pic.twitter.com/si9tKEoaSF</a></p>&mdash; MCU Direct (@MCU_Direct) <a href="https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1199864558493601792?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 28, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>