ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs *****The Lucas Niang Thread***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330850)

Dunerdr 02-19-2021 12:27 PM

KEEP ****ING DOUBTING LUCAS NIANG

BossChief 02-19-2021 12:29 PM

Damn. I thought there was new info when this thread was bumped.

Dunerdr 02-19-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15557300)
Damn. I thought there was new info when this thread was bumped.

Sorry ive just been going over his tape, twitter and old reports. Still high on this pick, even thought the boomers want to shit on him for political reasons, the haters want to shit on him even though he cleared the chiefs medical criteria and half the board thinks he is a guard.

htismaqe 02-19-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15557310)
Sorry ive just been going over his tape, twitter and old reports. Still high on this pick, even thought the boomers want to shit on him for political reasons, the haters want to shit on him even though he cleared the chiefs medical criteria and half the board thinks he is a guard.

To be fair, Veach said he would be guard before last season. That's probably all changed now of course but that sentiment started with the Chiefs, not here.

RedinTexas 02-19-2021 12:51 PM

Let's hope he worked out in his year off. I'd hate for him to come in fat and out of shape like Speaks did.

htismaqe 02-19-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedinTexas (Post 15557356)
Let's hope he worked out in his year off. I'd hate for him to come in fat and out of shape like Speaks did.

Speaks worked out last offseason and shed a bunch of weight. It just turns out he wasn't a good football player.

You won't have to worry about Niang.

staylor26 02-19-2021 01:04 PM

He’s been working out with this guy in case anybody missed it:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/BxMovement?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BxMovement</a> Ep 5: Past the Point of Contact w/ <a href="https://twitter.com/Kbniang8?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@kbniang8</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/BrettYarrisPFN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BrettYarrisPFN</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a> <a href="https://t.co/7c8VmlDaze">https://t.co/7c8VmlDaze</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Network (@PFN365) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFN365/status/1336853916764368899?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dunerdr 02-19-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15557349)
To be fair, Veach said he would be guard before last season. That's probably all changed now of course but that sentiment started with the Chiefs, not here.

Right but he didn't pigeonhole him as only a guard like half the board wants to pretend. I think the guard idea was just an attempt to get their best 5 guys on the field.

“Coach (Andy) Heck does a great job of letting the guys work in at guard with the ones and twos and tackles a little bit with the threes,” said Veach. “I think that’s kind of what you’d see, you’d see him with the earlier groups at guard and then as the younger guy taking more reps with the second or third team as tackle just have him bounce in and out. You do hope you can get to training camp on time because you kind of need that onfield work for the young guys like this, but I certainly think he can get thrown right in the mix there at guard.”

htismaqe 02-19-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15557418)
Right but he didn't pigeonhole him as only a guard like half the board wants to pretend. I think the guard idea was just an attempt to get their best 5 guys on the field.

“Coach (Andy) Heck does a great job of letting the guys work in at guard with the ones and twos and tackles a little bit with the threes,” said Veach. “I think that’s kind of what you’d see, you’d see him with the earlier groups at guard and then as the younger guy taking more reps with the second or third team as tackle just have him bounce in and out. You do hope you can get to training camp on time because you kind of need that onfield work for the young guys like this, but I certainly think he can get thrown right in the mix there at guard.”

Yeah, I know what he said.

I'm not sure where "half" the board thinks he's a guard and only a guard. I've seen most people pencil him in at RT, to be honest.

DaneMcCloud 02-19-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15557426)
Yeah, I know what he said.

I'm not sure where "half" the board thinks he's a guard and only a guard. I've seen most people pencil him in at RT, to be honest.

FWIW, for nearly all of 2020, the majority of posts on CP have referred to him either "playing inside" or at guard.

Since Fisher's injury, I've seen posts suggesting he play left or right tackle but that's only been in the past 6 weeks or so.

htismaqe 02-19-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15557434)
For nearly all of 2020, the majority of posts on CP have referred to him either "playing inside" or at guard.

Since Fisher's injury, I've seen posts suggesting he play left or right tackle but that's only been in the past 6 weeks or so.

Right.

But so readily suggesting he should play tackle suggests they weren't 100% set on him being a guard.

It was all based on circumstance, both then and now.

Not based necessarily on his skill set or talent.

The Franchise 02-19-2021 01:44 PM

Veach said they would try him on the inside because we already had our tackles and he wasn’t beating out those guys.

Now both tackles are question spots.

htismaqe 02-19-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15557453)
Veach said they would try him on the inside because we already had our tackles and he wasn’t beating out those guys.

Now both tackles are question spots.

Right.

Which is why I don't think it's fair to say "half the board" thought he was a guard.

We was going to start at guard because of circumstances, not fit or talent.

Dunerdr 02-19-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15557471)
Right.

Which is why I don't think it's fair to say "half the board" thought he was a guard.

We was going to start at guard because of circumstances, not fit or talent.

Maybe "Half the board" was a little dramatic. But he does not get respect as a quality tackle prospect by many. And many more write him off because of the hip, as if the Chiefs didnt clear him pre draft, and have him in the facility working out. Other than him not playing last year i feel like were lucky to have him have gotten him where we did.

staylor26 02-19-2021 02:06 PM

The only reason there was talk of Niang playing G is to get your “best 5” on the OL.

He’s absolutely a T long term, and always was.

BossChief 02-19-2021 02:16 PM

It’s quite obvious the front office thought Schwartz would only be in KC another year or 2. They drafted his replacement ahead of time and his contract extensions were very short term.

I bet they knew his back wasn’t going to last...but that’s strictly speculation.

Dunerdr 02-19-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15557528)
It’s quite obvious the front office thought Schwartz would only be in KC another year or 2. They drafted his replacement ahead of time and his contract extensions were very short term.

I bet they knew his back wasn’t going to last...but that’s strictly speculation.

I wouldnt go as far as to say they knew but it does seem like they were preparing. They spent a top 100 pick on a guy with some good upside.

RunKC 03-02-2021 11:46 AM

From Veach’s interview with Fescoe. Btw Veach was texting Niang every couple of weeks during the season.

Quote:

“I think the first part is getting them in the building and just doing baseline testing,” explained Veach. “They will get their physicals, and they will get time with the training staff and the weight room staff, so they’ll assess where they are. You and I know how this works — everyone says they’re working out. And some guys, the workouts are more intense than what they would do here and some guys say they’re working out, but the workouts aren’t where they need to be, so I think the first thing you do is get them in house, go through the medical, get the physical and get baseline foundations of where they are strength-wise, cardio-wise and our guys will do that, and then we’ll put a plan together... some guys will maybe have a little bit of a longer lead-up time, but some guys that come in a little bit better shape and they’re more in tune to where their bodies were last year — probably less of that type of lead-in time, so it’s really dependent on what the medical staff and the strength training staff say.”

Skyy God 03-02-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15569034)
From Veach’s interview with Fescoe. Btw Veach was texting Niang every couple of weeks during the season.

He’s absolutely in the Chiefs’ 2021 plans.

The “cut him” crowd can eat a bag of moldy dicks.

staylor26 03-02-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15569034)

This can’t be true.

I was told that opt outs had zero contact with the team on CP!

Pants 03-02-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15569044)
This can’t be true.

I was told that opt outs had zero contact with the team on CP!

The only logical conclusion is that Veach is lying.

Skyy God 03-02-2021 04:21 PM

Trade a conditional 7th for the Titans nutcase R1 tackle??

BossChief 03-02-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 15569527)
Trade a conditional 7th for the Titans nutcase R1 tackle??

I mean...if nobody is willing to give anything up for him, what does that say about him?

tmax63 03-02-2021 07:17 PM

To me it says win/win situation. Great talent for next to nothing and if he figures it out the sky is the limit, if he don't and is bagging groceries next year you didn't lose much.

Dante84 04-19-2021 09:57 AM

Andy just mentioned on the presser, when asked about Left Tackle: "We had aspirations for Niang to possibly fit in that spot. We were seeing some good stuff from him in the few days we had with him before the opt-out."

Dunerdr 04-19-2021 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15634196)
Andy just mentioned on the presser, when asked about Left Tackle: "We had aspirations for Niang to possibly fit in that spot. We were seeing some good stuff from him in the few days we had with him before the opt-out."

This place is going to ****ing melt down.

RealSNR 04-19-2021 10:11 AM

WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING?????

(I did, by the way. A few others as well, but I was one of them)

No, that doesn't mean he's automatically our starter, but it means they're going to give him a look. I think that's significant. What it means is that when we hear the reports about the Chiefs believing there to be starter-quality OTs all the way into the 3rd round, we might just draft a guy who played RT in college if the Chiefs think he's going to be a damn good player.

-King- 04-19-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15634196)

Hes just throwing names out there. <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs coach Andy Reid mentions Lucas Niang as a potential candidate at left tackle. Reid further points out Kyle Long and Mike Remmers could be in the mix.</p>&mdash; Herbie Teope (@HerbieTeope) <a href="https://twitter.com/HerbieTeope/status/1384173066616406020?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 19, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's not like he's just going to say that we don't have an LT and we need to draft one or trade for one. That's how you ruin any leverage you gave.

In58men 04-19-2021 10:20 AM

Andy made sure to emphasize that Brett Veach may not be done signing guys. I bet we see a veteran OT signed and an off-ball defender before training camp #Chiefs

Dante84 04-19-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15634231)
Hes just throwing names out there. <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs coach Andy Reid mentions Lucas Niang as a potential candidate at left tackle. Reid further points out Kyle Long and Mike Remmers could be in the mix.</p>&mdash; Herbie Teope (@HerbieTeope) <a href="https://twitter.com/HerbieTeope/status/1384173066616406020?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 19, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's not like he's just going to say that we don't have an LT and we need to draft one or trade for one. That's how you ruin any leverage you gave.

I was listening live; most definitely he was talking through the various guys when prompted about LT, and agree, he's not going to say "yeah its a shitshow right now."

That said, I found it interesting to hear him drop that nugget in while talking through it, since no one (from the Chiefs) has talked about Niang as a LT candidate to date.

The Franchise 04-19-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15634227)
WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING?????

(I did, by the way. A few others as well, but I was one of them)

No, that doesn't mean he's automatically our starter, but it means they're going to give him a look. I think that's significant. What it means is that when we hear the reports about the Chiefs believing there to be starter-quality OTs all the way into the 3rd round, we might just draft a guy who played RT in college if the Chiefs think he's going to be a damn good player.

It’s probably why Remmer’s agent came out said he’s been told he’s the starter at RT. Niang and a rookie are going to battle it out for the LT spot.

It’s also why Veach didn’t do shit after missing out on Trent Williams. “BUT WHY DID THEY GO AFTER WILLIAMS IF NIANG IS THEIR LT!?!?” Because you never pass up an opportunity to improve your team as a whole.

Dante84 04-19-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15634242)
Andy made sure to emphasize that Brett Veach may not be done signing guys. I bet we see a veteran OT signed and an off-ball defender before training camp #Chiefs

Oh yeah - this changes nothing in my mind. Still drafting a T, still signing a FA I'm sure.

Just surprised to hear him reference Niang at LT in general.

RunKC 04-19-2021 10:23 AM

Interesting that Andy said that Niang had potential for LT when they saw him last.

I wonder if they will draft a developmental RT at some point in the draft, start Remmers at RT and have Long be the backup in case of injury.

We do have LDT and Wylie as RG’s in that scenario

RealSNR 04-19-2021 10:23 AM

Regardless of where Niang plays, I'm betting they intend Remmers to be the swing tackle, not the starting RT.

In58men 04-19-2021 10:24 AM

Let’s not forget, Reid also said the door is open for the return of Fisher and Schwartz.

The Franchise 04-19-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15634250)
Regardless of where Niang plays, I'm betting they intend Remmers to be the swing tackle, not the starting RT.

Intended, yes. But he’s a decent enough backup plan to be a starter at RT if it works out that way.

Dante84 04-19-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15634251)
Let’s not forget, Reid also said the door is open for the return of Fisher and Schwartz.

Would love if Schwartz could get it figured out and bounce back, but I'm very doubtful given that he couldn't even put his own shoe on a couple weeks ago.

Love that SOB, and I'm pulling for him, but I fear he's done-done.

I think the draft will tell us a lot about how they view the OL (specifically Tackle) vs. how we (fans/CP) view the OL.

The Franchise 04-19-2021 10:29 AM

Could be nothing but if Niang is their plan at LT....then this draft just opened up way more.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-19-2021 10:30 AM

Niang has never been a LT tho....

In58men 04-19-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15634262)
Could be nothing but if Niang is their plan at LT....then this draft just opened up way more.

**** it! Trade up for JOK and Dyami Brown in the 2nd. OL gonna be alright.

RunKC 04-19-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15634262)

Yup. I think Andy does not want to have 2 OT’s with zero NFL experience blocking for his prized $500 million QB

chiefforlife 04-19-2021 10:36 AM

You need more than one LT. If they like Niang there I think it opens up 31 to other positions but we still take one in round 2 or 3.

I have been thinking they are leaning that way anyways.

O.city 04-19-2021 10:42 AM

I'd be hesitant to believe anything they say right now. It's lying season.

AdolfOliverBush 04-19-2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15634267)

I know nothing about the technical aspect of playing RT versus LT. Aren't the two positions basically mirror images of each other, with the major difference being the added pressure on an LT to protect the blind side of the QB? Assuming the QB is right-handed.

RealSNR 04-19-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15634267)

The transition from left to right and right to left is tricky, but some guys do okay at it, particularly if they're young and make that a primary focus of their offseason training.

At the very least, I'm glad to hear the Chiefs are considering Niang as an option. It could work out well. Or they'll try it for a practice or two, shake their heads, and go, "Ehhh... you really should be a right tackle, ya know..."

RealSNR 04-19-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 15634294)
I know nothing about the technical aspect of playing RT versus LT. Aren't the two positions basically mirror images of each other, with the major difference being the added pressure on an LT to protect the blind side of the QB? Assuming the QB is right-handed.

Yeah, but mastering the technique as a mirror image is pretty damn tough if you've been doing it one way for most of your football life. Everything that was once smooth and done without thinking feels unnatural, and some guys end up really struggling.

It's why Eric Fisher looked like an elephant on roller skates at RT his rookie year. If he had been our starting LT in 2013, he would have looked waaaay better right out of the gate.

Kman34 04-19-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15634298)
The transition from left to right and right to left is tricky, but some guys do okay at it, particularly if they're young and make that a primary focus of their offseason training.

At the very least, I'm glad to hear the Chiefs are considering Niang as an option. It could work out well. Or they'll try it for a practice or two, shake their heads, and go, "Ehhh... you really should be a right tackle, ya know..."

Yeah Remmers was ok at right tackle but a mess at left...

In58men 04-19-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15634292)
I'd be hesitant to believe anything they say right now. It's lying season.

We really don’t do much of this though, we’re not a team to throw out smokescreens.

staylor26 04-19-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15634326)
We really don’t do much of this though, we’re not a team to throw out smokescreens.

Lol wut?

Veach literally said they expected Fisher and Schwartz back for camp just to cut them a few weeks later.

In58men 04-19-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15634330)
Lol wut?

Veach literally said they expected Fisher and Schwartz back for camp just to cut them a few weeks later.

Has camp started?

Dunerdr 04-19-2021 11:01 AM

If Niang works out Veach looks like a god damn Genius. And no hes never played LT but niether has Tevin Jenkins and theres a possibility he gets drafted as a LT.

The Franchise 04-19-2021 11:03 AM

Even if they think that Niang can play LT:

1. I’m still signing Okung.
2. I’m still drafting a RT/LT capable player in the first two days of the draft.

That gives you the best depth and availability.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-19-2021 11:04 AM

James Palmer literally said about a week ago that the Chiefs feel like they can get a starting quality LT in rounds 1-3

Hoover 04-19-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15634342)

2. I’m still drafting a RT/LT capable player in the first two days of the draft.

I agree 100%.

I get not putting all of your eggs in that one basket.

Veach's first pick in this draft is going to tell us a lot.

If it's an OT, it speaks of real concern at LT. If it's a WR, it screams that they don't think Hardman will become more than what he already is.

If he drafts defense, its Veach telling everyone to calm the **** down, I've got this.

Dunerdr 04-19-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

I dont think anyone is arguing that, even if Niang is allpro remmers is on a 1 year. We need a tackle either way but this would make this years draft much more flexible if he could play it.

The Franchise 04-19-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15634345)
James Palmer literally said about a week ago that the Chiefs feel like they can get a starting quality LT in rounds 1-3

And you’ve yet to actually post a link to him saying that.

Tribal Warfare 04-20-2021 05:34 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;re pretty good at drafting players in the third round...<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLDraft?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NFLDraft</a> x <a href="https://twitter.com/ParkUniversity?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ParkUniversity</a> <a href="https://t.co/s6lEMBFhsK">pic.twitter.com/s6lEMBFhsK</a></p>&mdash; Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chiefs/status/1384650588307169281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dunerdr 04-21-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15636940)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;re pretty good at drafting players in the third round...<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLDraft?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NFLDraft</a> x <a href="https://twitter.com/ParkUniversity?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ParkUniversity</a> <a href="https://t.co/s6lEMBFhsK">pic.twitter.com/s6lEMBFhsK</a></p>&mdash; Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chiefs/status/1384650588307169281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MITCH HOLTHUS VOICE-IT'S THIRD ROUND!

htismaqe 04-21-2021 06:37 AM

Quote:

Depends on the board.

If the value is there at CB, DE, or WR, I'm taking those 3 in the first two days.

htismaqe 04-21-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 15634349)
I agree 100%.

I get not putting all of your eggs in that one basket.

Veach's first pick in this draft is going to tell us a lot.

If it's an OT, it speaks of real concern at LT. If it's a WR, it screams that they don't think Hardman will become more than what he already is.

If he drafts defense, its Veach telling everyone to calm the **** down, I've got this.

Their first pick is going to be edge or corner and my gut says corner.

Dunerdr 04-21-2021 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15637722)
Their first pick is going to be edge or corner and my gut says corner.

I could see this but i have a feeling it may be WR depending how the board shakes out. And all of the kingdom will melt down that it wasnt a fatty.

htismaqe 04-21-2021 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15637725)
I could see this but i have a feeling it may be WR depending how the board shakes out. And all of the kingdom will melt down that it wasnt a fatty.

WR will be in the mix somewhere.

I honestly would not be shocked if they go through round 3 and still haven't drafted OL.

And yes, the kingdom WILL melt down if that happens.

Dunerdr 04-21-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15637740)

I honestly would not be shocked if they go through round 3 and still haven't drafted OL.

If they really think Niang can play the left side this draft is about as wide open as weve seen in awhile.

In58men 04-21-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15637740)

ROFL

This is funny because I legit had a dream we didn’t take any WRs, Veach said during the draft day press conference he liked what he saw in Callaway and Sharpe lol. Woke up, like wtf?!

Dunerdr 04-21-2021 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15637796)
ROFL

This is funny because I legit had a dream we didn’t take any WRs, Veach said during the draft day press conference he liked what he saw in Callaway and Sharpe lol. Woke up, like wtf?!

I wouldnt even rule that out as a possibility lol. Callaway did do some things early on that made it look like he at least belongs in the league.

In58men 04-21-2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15637797)
I wouldnt even rule that out as a possibility lol.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/vyTnN...IvwE/giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Franchise 04-21-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15637797)
I wouldnt even rule that out as a possibility lol. Callaway did do some things early on that made it look like he at least belongs in the league.

There’s no way they don’t take a WR. Hill will be on the last year of his deal and then the rest outside of Hardman are all one year deals.

The Franchise 04-21-2021 09:01 AM

It’s funny to me that Chiefs Twitter has been pretty much silent after Reid talked about Niang at LT. It comes off as either no one believes him or no one was listening.

Straight, No Chaser 04-21-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

If anyone thinking Niang or a draft pick is going to step in at LT this year, my Donk buddy has a name for you: Garrett Bolles... took 4 years for him to get his sheet together. We need to sign an solid dude with experience who can stay healthy to 2-3 year deal.

The Franchise 04-21-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser (Post 15637901)
If anyone thinking Niang or a draft pick is going to step in at LT this year, my Donk buddy has a name for you: Garrett Bolles... took 4 years for him to get his sheet together. We need to sign an solid dude with experience who can stay healthy to 2-3 year deal.

Yep. Every LT is Garrett Bolles now.

And who is that LT that you’re signing to a 2-3 year deal that can stay healthy?

RealSNR 04-21-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

I didn't know Lucas Niang had a sub-80 IQ. I read from his scouting report once that he was a pretty good academic in college. Guess not.

Dunerdr 04-21-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15637847)
There’s no way they don’t take a WR. Hill will be on the last year of his deal and then the rest outside of Hardman are all one year deals.

I was really meaning day 1-2, i agree they have to take guys even if its even just depth. I wouldnt be shocked if we take positions other than that early and people do the whole DK Metcalf hindsight game for years to come.

htismaqe 04-21-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15637863)
It’s funny to me that Chiefs Twitter has been pretty much silent after Reid talked about Niang at LT. It comes off as either no one believes him or no one was listening.

I'd be willing to bet it's a lot of both, although I doubt the average Chiefs fan spends that much time watching an entire video like that, it was almost 30 minutes long.

htismaqe 04-21-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Man are you going to be disappointed.

RealSNR 04-21-2021 10:06 AM

When's the last time we saw a weak WR draft? It seems like damn near every year the WR class is lauded as extremely deep and "one of the best we've had in awhile." And the thing is, those draft pundits are usually right more often than not, unlike the times when they whiff on "Best QB class evar!!!"

We've already reached the point in free agency where 2nd, 3rd, or 4th options with one team are testing free agency and wind up going unsigned for awhile until they get desperate for a contract far below what they were hoping for. Remember when a shitty WR team like the Chiefs signed Steve Breaston to be their #2? Those deals really aren't happening quite like they used to because more teams either don't need those players (they found success in the draft) or they try to save money at the position, assuming they can get the same production out of a guy on a rookie contract.

Not sure where this fits in. We were just talking about WRs is all, and that thought popped into my head.

RealSNR 04-21-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15637967)

He's right, though! Why doesn't Veach just sign a pretty good veteran with reliable health for a reasonable 2-3 year deal????

Damn it, Burt! :cuss:

The Franchise 04-21-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15637967)

I’ve prepared myself for all of the “Fire Veach” screams that are going to come out if we don’t take an OT in the first three rounds.

htismaqe 04-21-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15637979)
When's the last time we saw a weak WR draft? It seems like damn near every year the WR class is lauded as extremely deep and "one of the best we've had in awhile." And the thing is, those draft pundits are usually right more often than not, unlike the times when they whiff on "Best QB class evar!!!"

We've already reached the point in free agency where 2nd, 3rd, or 4th options with one team are testing free agency and wind up going unsigned for awhile until they get desperate for a contract far below what they were hoping for. Remember when a shitty WR team like the Chiefs signed Steve Breaston to be their #2? Those deals really aren't happening quite like they used to because more teams either don't need those players (they found success in the draft) or they try to save money at the position, assuming they can get the same production out of a guy on a rookie contract.

Not sure where this fits in. We were just talking about WRs is all, and that thought popped into my head.

I think the prevalence of spread offenses and the evolution to more passing in general is what is fueling it. The CB's class is really good too. It's because college is just flat out producing more WR's and CB's when so many teams are running 5 wides and the nickel and dime defenses that counter them.

htismaqe 04-21-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15637983)
I’ve prepared myself for all of the “Fire Veach” screams that are going to come out if we don’t take an OT in the first three rounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take a tackle in the first 3 rounds but I don't actually expect that to happen.

However, in his scenario, neither Niang nor a drafted rookie are starting next year. Right now, I'd say that's pretty damn likely to happen. Somebody that hasn't played an NFL snap is going to be playing tackle next year.

The Franchise 04-21-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15637987)
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take a tackle in the first 3 rounds but I don't actually expect that to happen.

However, in his scenario, neither Niang nor a drafted rookie are starting next year. Right now, I'd say that's pretty damn likely to happen. Somebody that hasn't played an NFL snap is going to be playing tackle next year.

Going off of what they said....I think Niang has a good chance at succeeding at LT. He’ll have Thuney next to him and Thuney won’t have to worry about covering for Blythe as much.