ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Why do I keep buying ribeyes when ... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276759)

Silock 06-19-2014 01:01 PM

Try doing it after they've cooled. Scrape after food is done, then oil. Don't scrape again before grilling. That might help.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10702662)
Right before I put the meat down (this was the first time I had used it).

Before, I would fire up the grill on high, wait 5 minutes of so, scrape, oil, then cook. After the food was done, crank back up to high, wait 5- 10 minutes, turn off, scrape and oil. Worked fine for years. It didn't seem to work with the new grates, though.

Do not scrape porcelain enameled cast iron!

You also don't need to season them.

And you'll likely need to preheat 10-15 minutes to get a really good sear.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10702667)
Try doing it after they've cooled. Scrape after food is done, then oil. Don't scrape again before grilling. That might help.

You should only season porcelain grates if there's a chip in the enamel.

Frosty 06-19-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702672)
Do not scrape porcelain enameled cast iron!

The instructions say it's okay to use a grill brush. Why is it bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702672)
You also don't need to season them.

And you'll likely need to preheat 10-15 minutes to get a really good sear.

That's good to know.

Looks like I will be soaking these and washing by hand. :grr:

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10702682)

That's good to know.

Anything that's very abrasive can chip the enamel, so you'll have to season like its regular cast iron or it will rust.

Try a wooden spoon to get off bit of carbonized food, then clean and dry. (And keep it dry.)

R8RFAN 06-19-2014 01:15 PM

I don't know if you can use this on a porcelain grill but I don't use a wire brush much anymore because of the risk of the bristles coming off and sticking to food...

These bristles can kill you stuck to chicken or something...

I use these now and they work great
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Silock 06-19-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702675)
You should only season porcelain grates if there's a chip in the enamel.

I'm just relaying what the guys at the KC BBQ store told me to do. I wire brush them after cooking, then oil them. The porcelain is pretty tough. No issues in a year and a half so far. That may change in the future. I don't know.

Silock 06-19-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10702682)

That's good to know.

That sorta defeats the purpose of having porcelain coated grates. The maintenance is supposed to be far easier. If I had to wash my grates after every use, I'd just get regular cast iron replacements. I don't think I've ever washed my grates. I do bring them inside to store, though. I don't keep them outside.

Frosty 06-19-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10702743)
I'm just relaying what the guys at the KC BBQ store told me to do. I wire brush them after cooking, then oil them. The porcelain is pretty tough. No issues in a year and a half so far. That may change in the future. I don't know.

My understanding is you can use brass grill brushes but the stainless steel can scratch.

Silock 06-19-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10702755)
My understanding is you can use brass grill brushes but the stainless steel can scratch.

I've heard that, as well.

tooge 06-19-2014 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FMB, I think I have the same grill as you. Actually just got it this past weekend for fathers day. It uses gas to start the charcoal. Best idea ever. I dump charcoal in, push a button, and in 20 minutes, I've got hot coals ready to cook.

And yes, Silock, charcoal does give an appreciable amount of smoke flavor while grilling. Just because you cant see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Silock 06-19-2014 01:47 PM

If you say so. I haven't seen any proof that this is true.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10702865)
FMB, I think I have the same grill as you. Actually just got it this past weekend for fathers day. It uses gas to start the charcoal. Best idea ever. I dump charcoal in, push a button, and in 20 minutes, I've got hot coals ready to cook.

And yes, Silock, charcoal does give an appreciable amount of smoke flavor while grilling. Just because you cant see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Exact same. I love it.

Donger 06-19-2014 01:54 PM

Do you guys, after removing the food, crank the temperature back up to get rid of the stuff on the grates? I've never done that. I just fire up the grill to maximum before cooking, brush the grate, let it run at maximum for another few minutes and then lower to whatever temperature I need.

Re-cranking just seems redundant and a waste of gas.

Frosty 06-19-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10702895)
Do you guys, after removing the food, crank the temperature back up to get rid of the stuff on the grates? I've never done that. I just fire up the grill to maximum before cooking, brush the grate, let it run at maximum for another few minutes and then lower to whatever temperature I need.

Re-cranking just seems redundant and a waste of gas.

In the past, I cleaned after I cooked. I only cranked for a short time before to kill off any bacteria and to heat up the grate.