ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

ThaVirus 12-15-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10274186)
Yup. My BMI came back 25.2. (25 is considered overweight) My agent spoke with the underwriter and explained that I lift weights and they gave me preferred pricing.

Fat ass.

Aspengc8 12-16-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10282102)
I'm seeing great results - not taking much time off - aside from Friday.

I'm troubled though feeling like my biceps aren't progressing like the rest, i'm seeing results everywhere else.

You just started training again like a week ago, give it some time & consistency.

And train your legs.

UK_Chief 12-16-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10282102)
I'm seeing great results - not taking much time off - aside from Friday.

I'm troubled though feeling like my biceps aren't progressing like the rest, i'm seeing results everywhere else.

I have the same problem with biceps. The only thing that makes mine grow is to train them every day!

Simply Red 12-16-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10283287)
You just started training again like a week ago, give it some time & consistency.

And train your legs.

I will get back into my legs, It's hard to jump right in and show concern for my legs. I distance ran and played tennis almost my entire life. My legs are my best feature. But you're right - I must get back to showing them some attn.

penguinz 12-16-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_Chief (Post 10283291)
I have the same problem with biceps. The only thing that makes mine grow is to train them every day!

Overkill, arms get worked on almost every lift that is performed.

Simply Red 12-16-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10283304)

I'm going to start doing intermittent pull-ups on our industrial ladder at work, Peng. That'll not hurt anything.

Aspengc8 12-16-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10283304)

Yes, they do get indirect stimulation from other movements. They still require direct training if your after maximum growth for your arms. Arms and calves seem to recover pretty quickly for most people. I've seen some guys do 1 bicep & tricep movement every day also, and they are sporting 18+ guns. I just stick with finishing them off after my push & pull days.

penguinz 12-16-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10283341)
Yes, they do get indirect stimulation from other movements. They still require direct training if your after maximum growth for your arms. Arms and calves seem to recover pretty quickly for most people. I've seen some guys do 1 bicep & tricep movement every day also, and they are sporting 18+ guns. I just stick with finishing them off after my push & pull days.

Agreed, but everyday is overkill.

UK_Chief 12-16-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10283341)

Agreed totally

UK_Chief 12-16-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10283355)

Ok maybe not every day, but every time you train. Calves the same

Aspengc8 12-16-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10283355)

Unless your 'assisted' :D

Seriously though, what do you think about arms Eod? One of the best routines I ever did (back in college) had arms every other day, 6 days a week. I ate my ass off and put on most of my size then.

mon:back/chest/bi/tri
tues: quads/hams/calves/delts
wed-sat repeat of above, with different exercises.

It was all compound movements pretty much, and advocated a cyclical keto diet. worked very well, I think it was called big beyond belief. I still have the ebook lying around somewhere lol.

penguinz 12-16-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10283371)

Seriously though, what do you think about arms Eod? One of the best routines I ever did (back in college) had arms every other day, 6 days a week. I ate my ass off and put on most of my size then.

It was all compound movements pretty much, and advocated a cyclical keto diet. worked very well, I think it was called big beyond belief. I still have the ebook lying around somewhere lol.

Why don't you do a Trap isolation day! ;)

That would take me 4 hours a day in the gym! If I had the time and the $ to feed myself on a workout regimen like that I would do it in a heartbeat. Don;t know if I would do bi/tri isolation every other day. I already have trouble finding clothes that fit right without 18" guns! :p

Demonpenz 12-16-2013 09:44 AM

175 x 4 on bench today. I just wanted to say that I actually asked for a spot and went until I couldn't do this weight anymore. Trying to be humble and ngaf for looking like a weak ass pussy in the gym. Trying to stay positive and know that if I work I can get back to 225 or so.

Simply Red 12-16-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10283472)
175 x 4 on bench today. I just wanted to say that I actually asked for a spot and went until I couldn't do this weight anymore. Trying to be humble and ngaf for looking like a weak ass pussy in the gym. Trying to stay positive and know that if I work I can get back to 225 or so.

that's pretty darned good actually. I know I couldn't do that yet.

Aspengc8 12-16-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10283425)
Why don't you do a Trap isolation day! ;)

That would take me 4 hours a day in the gym! If I had the time and the $ to feed myself on a workout regimen like that I would do it in a heartbeat. Don;t know if I would do bi/tri isolation every other day. I already have trouble finding clothes that fit right without 18" guns! :p

I'm gonna go through the ebook tonight. If I remember correctly, it was only one exercise per muscle, so that way your rotating different movements each time.

ex leg/delt day:
hack squat machine
lying leg curl
calf raise
snatch grip high pulls (upright rows with wide grip)
all 3x10-12 (close to failure as possible)

The sets & reps rotated as well. I think it peaked over a 4 week period, then deloaded the sets for 2 weeks. I wish i had the time to do that again.

lewdog 12-16-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10283371)

What I wouldn't give to be "assisted."

ThaVirus 12-16-2013 06:30 PM

I was at the gym today (Planet Fitness) and some dude kept dropping weights. The front desk manager comes over and asks him to set them down more gently and the dude was really douching it up so he was asked to leave.

As he was walking out he's like: "Alright, I'll leave but how does it feel to work at a pussy factory" LMAO

ThaVirus 12-16-2013 06:32 PM

Oh, and I started incorporating lunges into my leg day work outs. That gives me a nice soreness the next day in muscles I don't often get worked out properly .

It's encouraging.

Demonpenz 12-16-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10285147)
I was at the gym today (Planet Fitness) and some dude kept dropping weights. The front desk manager comes over and asks him to set them down more gently and the dude was really douching it up so he was asked to leave.

As he was walking out he's like: "Alright, I'll leave but how does it feel to work at a pussy factory" LMAO

foul on both parties. Planet Fitness is a queer dump, but also weights are expensive.

BigBeauford 12-16-2013 09:41 PM

I have been getting into running more lately, and ran 5.80 miles in 59 mins. Trying to work up to a sub 1 hour 10k. Anyone who runs a lot have any tips? I am about 235 lbs, so I know cutting down some more lbs will help.

Buehler445 12-16-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 10285872)
I have been getting into running more lately, and ran 5.80 miles in 59 mins. Trying to work up to a sub 1 hour 10k. Anyone who runs a lot have any tips? I am about 235 lbs, so I know cutting down some more lbs will help.

If you're running on the road, run on both sides of the road. The crown on the road will have one leg higher than the other and you will likely get injured. Tracks are the same way.

Don't just hammer distance. Work some intervals.

BigBeauford 12-16-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10285894)
If you're running on the road, run on both sides of the road. The crown on the road will have one leg higher than the other and you will likely get injured. Tracks are the same way.

Don't just hammer distance. Work some intervals.

Solid advice. I do intervals on a treadmill once a week. Usually 5x800 with .25 miles of a jog speed in between.

Simply Red 12-16-2013 11:03 PM

I'd like to go back to eating for a moment - I know many of you eat after you complete your workout, is this truly the best? does it matter, just when you eat?

I know this and many of my questions are old and q's but bear with me as I knock the dust off.

Hammock Parties 12-16-2013 11:15 PM

I'm traveling and forgot my sneakers at home.

Still got in a good workout at the hotel gym.

No excuses you weaklings.

Hammock Parties 12-16-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10286255)
I'd like to go back to eating for a moment - I know many of you eat after you complete your workout, is this truly the best? does it matter, just when you eat?

I know this and many of my questions are old and q's but bear with me as I knock the dust off.

I actually does not according to what I read. There's no magic window. I think it's just a good idea to do it sometime within 24 hours, though. Get your protein old man.

Simply Red 12-16-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10286290)
I'm traveling and forgot my sneakers at home.

Still got in a good workout at the hotel gym.

No excuses you weaklings.

I worked out tonight - it's coming back.

Simply Red 12-16-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10286294)
I actually does not according to what I read. There's no magic window. I think it's just a good idea to do it sometime within 24 hours, though. Get your protein old man.

i made a beautiful stir-fry tonight - but I HAD to eat when I got home, I was starved. Let it digest for an hour and kicked it to the gym. Is this wrong? Am I somehow depriving myself, here?

Silock 12-16-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Just eat.

Simply Red 12-17-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10286450)
Just eat.

Thanks.

BigBeauford 12-17-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

This probably isn't the most super scientific explanation, but during catabolism where your muscles are broken down after a workout, this is the time to be munching on high quality foods to help repair. Don't waste it by counteracting with a Big Mac!

Silock 12-17-2013 12:49 AM

Big Macs are great for mass gains. #realtalk

big nasty kcnut 12-17-2013 12:56 AM

Tomorrow the gym near me open because it a long drive to the other gym. Plus I like to walk to my gym sometime

Silock 12-17-2013 01:25 AM

wat

el borracho 12-17-2013 09:10 AM

Attempted a PR on the bench yesterday morning... missed it by >< much (think I fatigued myself on some of the prior sets). Probably try again next Monday, even though I haven't been going ultra-heavy two weeks in a row. Going to do slightly less reps on the early sets and see if that makes the difference.

el borracho 12-17-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

If you are lifting heavy (to you) weights all the time, then you need to eat all the time. So, yes, eat after you lift; then eat again a few hours later; then eat again a few hours after that, and so on.

Aspengc8 12-17-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10286818)
Attempted a PR on the bench yesterday morning... missed it by >< much (think I fatigued myself on some of the prior sets). Probably try again next Monday, even though I haven't been going ultra-heavy two weeks in a row. Going to do slightly less reps on the early sets and see if that makes the difference.

Absolutely it will. After some warm-up sets of 10 or so, with <50% of your estimated 1RM, start doing triples up to around 75% or so, then do singles from there.

lets say your goal is to hit 315 for 1. I would do 135 for 2x10, 185x10, 225x5, 255x1, 285x1, the go for the 315. If you miss the 315, but hit 285, aim for somewhere in between, maybe 305, and if you hit that do a few more singles with that weight.

Just my $.02 on how I would approach it. I'm sure some others on here have some good ideas too.

NewChief 12-17-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10286317)
i made a beautiful stir-fry tonight - but I HAD to eat when I got home, I was starved. Let it digest for an hour and kicked it to the gym. Is this wrong? Am I somehow depriving myself, here?

You have to be burning calories like mad with all the brain processing power you're devoting to this. :D

UK_Chief 12-17-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10286818)

My BP workout now is always the same:

8x50%, 5x75%, 3x90%, 1x100% (repeat until you can't do 1 rep). Usually I end up doing 5-7 sets or so of 1 rep max. You'll find the 1 rep max shoots up.

Saying that, I'm kind of plateau-ing at the moment so need to get over this hump, but my one rep max is 242lb (ish) and I am 175lb (ish) so I'm pretty strong for my size. Not sure how to improve from here. My best ever BP was 260lb, but I was a good bit heavier. Lost a lot of fat (and some muscle) since then.

For other chest exercises I do more reps and fewer sets and try to mix up different stuff but I like to go heavy on the bench....

el borracho 12-17-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10286868)
Absolutely it will. After some warm-up sets of 10 or so, with <50% of your estimated 1RM, start doing triples up to around 75% or so, then do singles from there.

lets say your goal is to hit 315 for 1. I would do 135 for 2x10, 185x10, 225x5, 255x1, 285x1, the go for the 315. If you miss the 315, but hit 285, aim for somewhere in between, maybe 305, and if you hit that do a few more singles with that weight.

Just my $.02 on how I would approach it. I'm sure some others on here have some good ideas too.

What I did:
bar only x 8
135 x 8
205 x 5
245 x 5
275 x 3
310 (failed attempt)

What I will try next Monday:
bar only x 8
135 x 8
205 x 5
245 x 3
275 x 1
310 x ?

I think it was the triple at 275 that fatigued me, so I will definitely dial that down. Heck, if I get 310 I will probably wait 5 or 6 minutes and try for 315. Determined to press three plates at least once in my life.

el borracho 12-17-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_Chief (Post 10286932)
My BP workout now is always the same:

8x50%, 5x75%, 3x90%, 1x100% (repeat until you can't do 1 rep). Usually I end up doing 5-7 sets or so of 1 rep max. You'll find the 1 rep max shoots up.

Saying that, I'm kind of plateau-ing at the moment so need to get over this hump, but my one rep max is 242lb (ish) and I am 175lb (ish) so I'm pretty strong for my size. Not sure how to improve from here. My best ever BP was 260lb, but I was a good bit heavier. Lost a lot of fat (and some muscle) since then.

For other chest exercises I do more reps and fewer sets and try to mix up different stuff but I like to go heavy on the bench....

So you go ultra-heavy (for you) each time you work chest? Not sure what Silock and Lewdog will say, but I would think you might mix in some higher volume days. At some point you will probably need to add some size to your frame to increase your bench (although there are plenty of guys on youtube who weigh under 200 and press over 300- of course, there's no way to know what "supplements" they are taking, lol).

penguinz 12-17-2013 03:49 PM

My 1 rep Max without a spot is 245. I weighed in at 162lbs today.

Aspengc8 12-17-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10288026)
So you go ultra-heavy (for you) each time you work chest? Not sure what Silock and Lewdog will say, but I would think you might mix in some higher volume days. At some point you will probably need to add some size to your frame to increase your bench (although there are plenty of guys on youtube who weigh under 200 and press over 300- of course, there's no way to know what "supplements" they are taking, lol).

Honestly what got my bench #'s up was really starting to row my ass off. For a while I would play a game and only bench what I was able to bent over row. I'm now able to barbell row 275, and it feels a light easier benching. I read it somewhere on eltitefts from one of the power lifters, he had like custom dumbells made that were close to 300lbs each for dumbell rows... my god.

UK_Chief 12-18-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10288026)

I do volume stuff in the same work out on stuff like incline flys, decline press, close grip bench etc. I don't know whether I should be separating heavy and volume work outs though

That workout seems to give me good size on my chest - I have a small-ish frame so I find it hard to put on size in general but pecs are big for my frame. I could be a bit bigger but I want to stay lean so trying to do it slowly.

UK_Chief 12-18-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10288054)
My 1 rep Max without a spot is 245. I weighed in at 162lbs today.

Good stuff - my 3 month goal is to be able to bench 110kg (~245lb) for more than 1 rep. Getting close - did 3 reps on 105kg (~230lb) last night and one at 245lb. It's hard though as I normally don't have anyone spotting.

I also do a similar strength workout (low rep high set) on bent over row, which I agree definitely helps BP...

Chiefs=Champions 12-18-2013 07:11 AM

Anyone ever had any issues with creatine monohydrate and stomach pain/queasiness? I'm also really physically tired atm, but i think that may be my increased work load...

Aspengc8 12-18-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs=Good (Post 10289627)
Anyone ever had any issues with creatine monohydrate and stomach pain/queasiness? I'm also really physically tired atm, but i think that may be my increased work load...

I use pre-workout drinks that usually contain *some* form of creatine. Musclepharm Assault gives me naseau, and that has creatine mono in it. The others don't seem to (Cellucor C4, Controlled labs white flood).

UK_Chief 12-18-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Tablets or powder? I had real issues with the powder but the tabs are fine. Take them with food...

Aspengc8 12-18-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_Chief (Post 10289606)
I do volume stuff in the same work out on stuff like incline flys, decline press, close grip bench etc. I don't know whether I should be separating heavy and volume work outs though

That workout seems to give me good size on my chest - I have a small-ish frame so I find it hard to put on size in general but pecs are big for my frame. I could be a bit bigger but I want to stay lean so trying to do it slowly.

I dont think you need to separate them, but it might depend on your recovery ability. Right now I'm hitting each bodypart 2x week, so I do a heavy 5x5 movement then a bunch of accessory in the 8-12 range.

Simply Red 12-18-2013 07:21 AM

I increased weight last night and decreased the reps.

Making some good progress.

Omaha 12-18-2013 01:40 PM

Has anyone tried Isagenix?

Omaha 12-18-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Are you staying hydrated? My doctor warned me to stay hydrated to avoid cramping among other things.

NewChief 12-18-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10290812)
Has anyone tried Isagenix?

A lot of the trainers at our gym pimp this shit. My wife tried a weight loss "cleanse" for like 10 days. She lost some weight, but she's done better by just changing her diet long term instead. She's a vegetarian and was eating way too much dairy. She's cut back on dairy and a lot of the wheat, and she's much skinnier. She also does juice fasts a couple of times a week, buying from a local juice maker.

Demonpenz 12-18-2013 01:56 PM

I am sure you keep your pimp hand strong, but the veggie only girls I have been around are always a bag of fat even at a light weight.

Omaha 12-18-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10290874)
A lot of the trainers at our gym pimp this shit. My wife tried a weight loss "cleanse" for like 10 days. She lost some weight, but she's done better by just changing her diet long term instead. She's a vegetarian and was eating way too much dairy. She's cut back on dairy and a lot of the wheat, and she's much skinnier. She also does juice fasts a couple of times a week, buying from a local juice maker.

I'm not interested in losing any weight. I already try to rarely eat wheat and I almost never have dairy. I'm more interested in their energy & performance package. There are a few people at my gym who swear by it. I don't normally pay much attention to this stuff, but I cannot deny that their results have been very impressive since they started.

NewChief 12-18-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10290911)
I'm not interested in losing any weight. I already try to rarely eat wheat and I almost never have dairy. I'm more interested in their energy & performance package. There are a few people at my gym who swear by it. I don't normally pay much attention to this stuff, but I cannot deny that their results have been very impressive since they started.

I drank one of the powdered drink ad ins that are supposed to give you energy. Did about the same thing an Emergen-C does to me. I know that people swear by it, but those same people are usually also selling it.

jiveturkey 12-18-2013 02:12 PM

I started working out in the evenings because of a temporary class that I'm taking and at first it was killing me. I was a tired/yawning mess at 6pm. I found that 2 bananas mashed up with a tbsp (or 2) or honey turns me into an evening workout hulk. I usually eat them around 4:30 or 5.

I prefer working out at 10am but I'm stuck on the evening routine for the next couple of months. So the banana budget has been increased.

NewChief 12-18-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10290897)
I am sure you keep your pimp hand strong, but the veggie only girls I have been around are always a bag of fat even at a light weight.

That's because way too many vegetarians resort to cheese and pasta as their "staple" meals. My wife is on quinoa, kale, and lentils as well as juicing.

She keeps her pimphand strong... you should see her guns.

NewChief 12-18-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10290967)
I started working out in the evenings because of a temporary class that I'm taking and at first it was killing me. I was a tired/yawning mess at 6pm. I found that 2 bananas mashed up with a tbsp (or 2) or honey turns me into an evening workout hulk. I usually eat them around 4:30 or 5.

I prefer working out at 10am but I'm stuck on the evening routine for the next couple of months. So the banana budget has been increased.

If I work out in the evening, I can't go to sleep at night.

jiveturkey 12-18-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10290975)

It's not fun. I'm super ****ing tired right after the workout but 2 hours later I'm kind of wired.

penguinz 12-18-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10290973)
That's because way too many vegetarians resort to cheese and pasta as their "staple" meals. My wife is on quinoa, kale, and lentils as well as juicing.

She keeps her pimphand strong... you should see her guns.

She is going to grow a penis and a beard if she keeps it up! ;)

Aspengc8 12-18-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10290975)

I have to workout at night due to my schedule. By the time I put my daughter to bed, I get in the gym @ 8PM and leave @ 930PM. Get home, cook some steak, bed by midnight usually.. up at 5:30. It's a shitty cycle, but you do what you gotta do. I rely on pre-workouts and pretty much tried every one. Sometimes I double dose and end up not being able to fall asleep :banghead:

el borracho 12-18-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_Chief (Post 10289606)

I think it is ok to do some volume work in the same day as you max, as long as you max first. I just question doing singles every time you work a specific bodypart. Of course, the results will really tell you if you are overtraining or not. If you are progressing on your routine, then I see no problem continuing.

el borracho 12-18-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

yes. I used to eat creatine about 30 minutes before working out and it was sometimes rough on my stomach. I now eat it long after the workout and I have not had any problems. Not sure what the science behind it might be, but that has been my experience.

UK_Chief 12-19-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10291683)
I think it is ok to do some volume work in the same day as you max, as long as you max first. I just question doing singles every time you work a specific bodypart. Of course, the results will really tell you if you are overtraining or not. If you are progressing on your routine, then I see no problem continuing.

Good to know. It's hard to tell if I'm progressing as I am trying to lose fat at the moment, so not eating big anymore. My strength has stayed roughly where it was (dropped a little) but I've lost about 20lb in the last 6 months and body fat is down to about 10%. I find it hard to grow and stay lean, so kind of happy where I am for the moment, always trying to get stronger but work and weekends get in the way!

Aspengc8 12-20-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_Chief (Post 10292801)
Good to know. It's hard to tell if I'm progressing as I am trying to lose fat at the moment, so not eating big anymore. My strength has stayed roughly where it was (dropped a little) but I've lost about 20lb in the last 6 months and body fat is down to about 10%. I find it hard to grow and stay lean, so kind of happy where I am for the moment, always trying to get stronger but work and weekends get in the way!

Its extremely hard to do, unless you have 'help'. Most guys will fail to realize that, and that's where the 'spinning your wheels' concept comes in. They get lean, see abs, then try to build size. abs (will) disappear somewhat and they get right back on a cut 3 months later. Building respectable levels of size and strength takes serious time.. not a 3 month 'bulk' lol.

luv 12-20-2013 08:48 AM

I know that this thread is mainly big, bad, weightlifting machines, so you probably don't really care, but I just have to say that, along with kettle bells, I have fallen in love with the physio ball. I can do an entire core workout at home on days I can't get to the gym, and it's awesome for stretches.

Simply Red 12-20-2013 09:01 AM

reporting in - still living on protein and little carbs or sugar. Lifted last night - Friday is my day I take off.

Still getting some memory from my muscles. My outer upper arm is getting a protruding muscle which is pretty nice, trying like heck to build my bicep, it's seems to be a challenge.

Aspengc8 12-20-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10296115)
reporting in - still living on protein and little carbs or sugar. Lifted last night - Friday is my day I take off.

Still getting some memory from my muscles. My outer upper arm is getting a protruding muscle which is pretty nice, trying like heck to build my bicep, it's seems to be a challenge.

Not just protein right? Make sure you are eating healthy fats too. Carbs & Fats are your energy providers and if one is low, then don't skimp out on the other, or vice versa. Lower carb will tend to dry you out faster as you will lose a lot of water weight first. Lower fat tends to preserve a bit more muscle since insulin will be high(er) with the carbs. Insulin is one of the bodys most anabolic hormones, but can be a double edged sword.

lewdog 12-20-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10296092)
I know that this thread is mainly big, bad, weightlifting machines, so you probably don't really care, but I just have to say that, along with kettle bells, I have fallen in love with the physio ball. I can do an entire core workout at home on days I can't get to the gym, and it's awesome for stretches.

You seem like you are doing well having a set weekly time with a PT to keep your honest about working out and I know you've lost plenty of weight. Keep it up, you seem more consistent this time around than the last time you were working out, is that correct?

One thing about core workouts, is they really are not super useful for much of anything. People can disagree with me all they want but losing bodyfat (calorie deficit) gets you a flat stomach and core workouts don't burn much calories at all to increase that caloric deficit. You'd be better spent doing some burpees, linejumps and jumping jack circuit at home to get your heart rate up. Having a "strong" core is super overrated.

jiveturkey 12-20-2013 04:01 PM

I don't mess around with core exercises any more. Dead lifts, squats and power cleans take care of it.

Back when I returned to the gym a handful of years ago I started out with a lot of body weight/core/high rep workouts and it was a great way to get started. I quickly got bored though and had to move to weights.

lewdog 12-20-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10297267)
I don't mess around with core exercises any more. Dead lifts, squats and power cleans take care of it.

:thumb:

luv 12-20-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10297243)
You seem like you are doing well having a set weekly time with a PT to keep your honest about working out and I know you've lost plenty of weight. Keep it up, you seem more consistent this time around than the last time you were working out, is that correct?

One thing about core workouts, is they really are not super useful for much of anything. People can disagree with me all they want but losing bodyfat (calorie deficit) gets you a flat stomach and core workouts don't burn much calories at all to increase that caloric deficit. You'd be better spent doing some burpees, linejumps and jumping jack circuit at home to get your heart rate up. Having a "strong" core is super overrated.

Sweet. I can tell my PT to shove the physio ball planks and oblique crunches up his rear!

Silock 12-20-2013 04:55 PM

I haven't done core specific exercises in years.

lewdog 12-20-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10297355)
Sweet. I can tell my PT to shove the physio ball planks and oblique crunches up his rear!

Not what I am saying at all. You can sure do them, say 5-10 minutes at the end of your workout. But doing an entire core workout at home is pretty pointless and you'd be better spent using your workout time on something else.

luv 12-20-2013 04:57 PM

I have a 5 day circuit. Arms, legs, cardio, core, and what I call fitness (a little mix of a few different days at lighter weights, as many reps in 30 as I can do, and more sets).

lewdog 12-20-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10297361)
I have a 5 day circuit. Arms, legs, cardio, core, and what I call fitness (a little mix of a few different days at lighter weights, as many reps in 30 as I can do, and more sets).

I'm just telling you what I know and I've been a personal trainer. I would NEVER recommend a core day to any person no matter what their goals. Of course I made all my clients, young/old/woman/man, do either squats/deads/bench to start a workout. :D

NewChief 12-20-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10297365)
I'm just telling you what I know and I've been a personal trainer. I would NEVER recommend a core day to any person no matter what their goals. Of course I made all my clients, young/old/woman/man, do either squats/deads/bench to start a workout. :D

I don't really do core any longer either. Kettlebell swings, dead lifts, squats, and snatches work it amply. I'll occasionally throw in some planks at the end of my workout if I have some extra time left over.

I'm with you on no "core day," though. If anything, do core for 5-10 minutes at the end of a workout (planks are fine), imo.

That being said, I think you're still at the point, luv, that you should stick to what's working for you and what you find enjoyable. I imagine your trainer wants to keep your motivation up and one way of doing that is to vary the workout while still maintaining a routine.

Go with what's working until it doesn't work.

jiveturkey 12-20-2013 08:16 PM

I started stiff leg dead lifts recently and holy shit are my hamstrings killing me. :thumb:

Simply Red 12-20-2013 08:18 PM

I'm off tonight yo's - I just took an Epsom salt bath. I feel like if I didn't already know what I looked like, I could look like Snoop Dog.

Simply Red 12-20-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10296160)
Not just protein right? Make sure you are eating healthy fats too. Carbs & Fats are your energy providers and if one is low, then don't skimp out on the other, or vice versa. Lower carb will tend to dry you out faster as you will lose a lot of water weight first. Lower fat tends to preserve a bit more muscle since insulin will be high(er) with the carbs. Insulin is one of the bodys most anabolic hormones, but can be a double edged sword.

I try to eat eggs and peanut butter which is ground - I sometimes add to protein in AM.

Also I eat a lot of bran, not doing an astronomical amount of beef though.