ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals ***Official 2021 Royals Season Repository Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=336108)

KChiefs1 06-12-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15705366)
The only reason you know who Rocker is is because he was an early leader in the clubhouse as the #1 pick. I don't know why anyone is so enamored over him than anyone else unless you are some college baseball junkie - which 99% of us have little to no ****ing idea

I started the FUBAR for KUMAR campaign last year when I was rooting for the Royals to lose to get the #1 pick.

It’s a beautiful thing if he fell to 7th. Crazy town.

TLO 06-12-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15705997)
Ryan Ohearn has taken the highest OPS lead over Bubba Sterling among AA and AAA players. 48 ABs, 10 HRs, 1.51 OPS. If there was an AAAA Championship...we would win it.

Bring him up for a look?

Prison Bitch 06-12-2021 01:20 PM

DeGrom taken out last nite with arm trouble. 2 stats on him

1. All time record thru 10 starts with 0.58 ERA
2. He’s allowed 4 earned runs. He has 5 rbi

lewdog 06-12-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 15706149)
DeGrom taken out last nite with arm trouble. 2 stats on him

1. All time record thru 10 starts with 0.58 ERA
2. He’s allowed 4 earned runs. He has 5 rbi

That's insane.

Also what Ohtani is doing is insane.

Two amazing players this year.

Archie Bunker 06-12-2021 03:29 PM

Kowar has always been the one I was most excited about. This is probably as disappointed in the Royals as I have been in years. Not ready to write him off or anything but man it stings bad.

dlphg9 06-12-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker (Post 15706261)
Kowar has always been the one I was most excited about. This is probably as disappointed in the Royals as I have been in years. Not ready to write him off or anything but man it stings bad.

It's his 2nd start. Not a big deal.

dlphg9 06-12-2021 04:29 PM

Anyone have a clue when Mondesi is gonna be back and reinjure himself? I've heard nothing after the initial optimism. Seems like something that is gonna keep him out the rest of the year and they won't say shit.

gblowfish 06-12-2021 08:39 PM

Welp, if we lose to tomorrow that's a 1-6 West Coast Trip. I thought they were hungry to win??? They've certainly ate it this week.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wcPJRYUKaU4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mama Hip Rockets 06-12-2021 08:46 PM

If Wade Davis is still on this roster tomorrow, can we pitch in to fly a banner?

BWillie 06-12-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets (Post 15706443)
If Wade Davis is still on this roster tomorrow, can we pitch in to fly a banner?

Meh. Throw away season. Lets bring Esky up and go get Herrera. Sign Billy from Montana beer League softball. We'll make the wildcard next year when our young guys take that next step and once Pratto, Melendez and Witt Jr are ready to roll.

Mama Hip Rockets 06-12-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15706463)
Meh. Throw away season. Lets bring Esky up and go get Herrera. Sign Billy from Montana beer League softball. We'll make the wildcard next year when our young guys take that next step and once Pratto, Melendez and Witt Jr are ready to roll.

There are almost 100 games left. This is not a throwaway season.

dlphg9 06-12-2021 10:06 PM

Melendez and Pratto sat out tonight at NWA. A promotion coming?

Pratto is at 10 HR, 23 RBIs, 7 Doubles, 29 Walks, 34 SOs, .306 AVG, .450 OBP, .667 SLG, 1.117 OPS

tk13 06-12-2021 10:45 PM

Meanwhile, Bauer got knocked around by the Texas Rangers tonight, so that's how well these pitchers are doing without the sticky stuff. This whole year is going to be one of the weirdest ones in memory if a whole bunch of pitchers fall off in the 2nd half.

Chiefspants 06-12-2021 10:59 PM

If Kowar gets sent down I really hope there’s consideration to bring him back by easing him into the pen. Hopefully GMDM can trust Matheny won’t Rosenthal him.

Sure-Oz 06-13-2021 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker (Post 15706261)

Just leave them down the rest of the season. Him and Lynch got rocked bad. Just hope they get it together.

Archie Bunker 06-13-2021 06:44 AM

Kowar reminds me a lot of a fictional #37, do we have a Crash Davis in the organization to help him with his eyelid breathing, and to help him figure out where the rose goes?

nychief 06-13-2021 07:51 AM

https://www.postregister.com/postreg...43b1cd7b1.html

He loves playing softball with his daughters, 12-year-old Kinley, 8-year-old Karsyn and 5-year-old Kamden — who is named after Baltimore’s Camden Yards, where Butler hit a career .294.

HA

Why Not? 06-13-2021 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 15706571)
https://www.postregister.com/postreg...43b1cd7b1.html

He loves playing softball with his daughters, 12-year-old Kinley, 8-year-old Karsyn and 5-year-old Kamden — who is named after Baltimore’s Camden Yards, where Butler hit a career .294.

HA

Solid read. Good for Billy.

CaliforniaChief 06-13-2021 08:30 AM

Someone needs to let LaCanfora know that our ownership of his beloved Orioles has translated into generational ties. LMAO

KChiefs1 06-13-2021 10:04 AM

***Official 2021 Royals Season Repository Thread***

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15706440)
Welp, if we lose to tomorrow that's a 1-6 West Coast Trip. I thought they were hungry to win??? They've certainly ate it this week.

Bad timing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e7ec4934fa.jpg

WhawhaWhat 06-13-2021 06:04 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If you can&#39;t see difference, Here&#39;s slow-motion gif. <a href="https://t.co/fBVoYXEg0f">pic.twitter.com/fBVoYXEg0f</a></p>&mdash; 준 Jun (@Royals_Jun) <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals_Jun/status/1404109536957394948?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 13, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TomBarndtsTwin 06-13-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15706440)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wcPJRYUKaU4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They’re young, George, and trying. The offense is struggling and you’ve got half a rotation of 2018 draft picks trying to find their way in the Big Leagues.

Cut em some slack and quit being a miserable old SOB in this thread. You’re an awesome guy but getting a little tiresome in the Royals repository.

Your choice to be a fan.

Raiderhater 06-13-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 15707075)
They’re young, George, and trying. The offense is struggling and you’ve got half a rotation of 2018 draft picks trying to find their way in the Big Leagues.

Cut em some slack and quit being a miserable old SOB in this thread. You’re an awesome guy but getting a little tiresome in the Royals repository.

Your choice to be a fan.

Oh, no you didn’t go there!

Chiefspants 06-13-2021 06:20 PM

“Your choice to be a fan” is such a cursed comment.

gblowfish 06-13-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 15707075)

Your choice to be a fan.

I'm no Fairweather Johnson. But when they suck, I'm not going to sugar coat it. When they play well, we'll congratulate them and be happy. They've been pretty damn awful for the last month or so. Don't be mad at me for pointing out the Emperor has no clothes.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-13-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15707144)
I'm no Fairweather Johnson. But when they suck, I'm not going to sugar coat it. When they play well, we'll congratulate them and be happy. They've been pretty damn awful for the last month or so. Don't be mad at me for pointing out the Emperor has no clothes.

But that’s simply not true. They are exactly 14-14 over the last month, after this shitty road trip. A .500 club. Which is about what MOST of us thought the ceiling was for this club this year. It’s a damn miracle that they had the best record in all of MLB the first month of the season. The run differential should have warned everyone ‘don’t buy the hype’. The White Sox were always the best team in this division and we’re always gonna win it running away. They have more talent than the Royals right now at the Big League level and more importantly, most of their young guys, especially their pitchers, have established themselves at the major league level after REALLY struggling for a couple years.

It’s no different for the Royals 2018 draft crop. They’re all gonna have to take their lumps for a while. It’s how you learn. When Hosmer, Moose, Salvy, Duffy, Yordano came up they didn’t have immediate success. It took a few years to build something. Give em time.

But your comments towards the Royals lately come across as nothing more than snide comments of someone reveling in their losing, which other people in this thread have pointed out besides me.

Chiefspants 06-13-2021 08:06 PM

I think if you accept that this team isn’t making the playoffs and out young players are going to have some very expected growing pains this season gets to be a lot easier to watch. No one expected playoffs before Game 1 this year, and we’ll have some ups and downs - but hopefully end on a high enough note to generate excitement for next year.

gblowfish 06-13-2021 08:11 PM

Tell ya what Tom. I'll go all Baghdad Bob for you over the next week just to make your nipples hard. I won't say a single bad thing. Not one. I can go Little Mary Sunshine with the best of them. Physioc and Wonder Dog make a living at it. We'll start tonight: Even with a 1-6 road trip, they're only three games under .500 with the Detroit Tigers coming in. Tigers are last in the AL Central and just got swept by the Chisox. Surely we should get back to .500 against them, right? Then we get the Red Sox, and Benny ought to rake against his old team. We'll probably win five or six at home next week. All these pitchers will bounce back, especially Kowar, and Soler and Dozier and Taylor and Merrifield will all start hitting like crazy. Can't wait to see it.

Mama Hip Rockets 06-13-2021 08:44 PM

Injury updates from the Royals website:

*Mondesi could be back as early as this week.
*Duffy could be back by late June.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-13-2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15707197)
Tell ya what Tom. I'll go all Baghdad Bob for you over the next week just to make your nipples hard. I won't say a single bad thing. Not one. I can go Little Mary Sunshine with the best of them. Physioc and Wonder Dog make a living at it. We'll start tonight: Even with a 1-6 road trip, they're only three games under .500 with the Detroit Tigers coming in. Tigers are last in the AL Central and just got swept by the Chisox. Surely we should get back to .500 against them, right? Then we get the Red Sox, and Benny ought to rake against his old team. We'll probably win five or six at home next week. All these pitchers will bounce back, especially Kowar, and Soler and Dozier and Taylor and Merrifield will all start hitting like crazy. Can't wait to see it.

Don’t do it on my account, George.

Rather you be a miserable old SOB than a disingenuous one.

Was just pointing out that all you’ve done on here lately is hop on and take potshots, without even attempting to engage in any meaningful baseball discussion. That’s fine if that’s your thing. You do you, I guess. But weren’t you the one that a few pages back made a half a page post about how you didn’t ‘trust’ the Royals based on the last 50 years, while virtually ignoring the same exact history for the Chiefs pre-Pat?

The Royals are who we thought they were. Sorry you didn’t recognize that from the get go like most of us and they’re letting you down.

I’m sure it’s keeping them up nights to disappoint you.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2021 09:33 PM

As I said before the season began, I think the Royals will end up winning between 72-75 games this season.

For several weeks, they surpassed my expectations, then they came back down to earth during their 11 game losing skid, then slowly but surely dug themselves out of that hole and back to .500, then they began slipping again about a week ago.

All in all, I'm super impressed with the will of this squad. In past years, once a losing streak began, the season was virtually over because everyone just gave up. DM started trading off anyone that could bring back even a slight return, guys were injured and it was just exhausting to watch. Since around 2018, I couldn't make it past May because it was just embarrassing to see and IMO, a waste of my time. But this year, they've been a roller-coaster for sure but somehow, they just keep fighting and clawing their way back to .500.

Is that because of Matheny? Salvy? The new additions in Benintendi or Santana? I have no earthly idea. But regardless of whether or not this team finishes at .500 or below, this is a team I can watch because they do not give up. And really, outside of seeing how the young guys progress, that's the most important aspect of watching the games for me, that fight. Because if they're fighting when they're young and inexperienced, they're going to fight when they're veterans and that's what it's going to take for this team to become a consistent contender.

But anyone that expected this team to contend for a playoff spot this season was only fooling themselves. While Salvy is still awesome and still a huge factor, they don't have a superstar that who can put the team on his back and will them to a win.

Maybe that guy is Bobby Witt or maybe that guy is Brady Singer or maybe it's a combination of young guys. It's really unfortunate that Mondi has been too injured to make a difference and the other young guys aren't quite ready to come up, but when that day happens, it's going to be a blast to watch because these guys have the will to win.

They just don't have enough talent right now.

Prison Bitch 06-13-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15707197)

Major Debbie downer ^

dlphg9 06-13-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets (Post 15707245)
Injury updates from the Royals website:

*Mondesi could be back as early as this week.
*Duffy could be back by late June.

Did they specify if he could be back beginning or the end of the week? Also I don't really trust them in regards to when they think he will be back, because they were basically putting it out there that he wouldn't even need to go on the IL.

CoMoChief 06-14-2021 02:24 AM

I standy by my prediction that Royals will be slightly above .500 at season's end, but will be the last AL team outside looking in RE: playoffs.

Cut the dead weight next offseason, sign a couple good FA's, hopefully a couple stud minor league guys will be called up to major roster like Witt etc.

I expect Royals to make postseason next yr. If not Dayton Moore should be teetering on the hot seat.

duncan_idaho 06-14-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 15707315)
Did they specify if he could be back beginning or the end of the week? Also I don't really trust them in regards to when they think he will be back, because they were basically putting it out there that he wouldn't even need to go on the IL.

It’s not necessarily an issue with him.. it’s that all his injuries this year are soft tissue injuries and those often have unpredictable return timings.

Mama Hip Rockets 06-14-2021 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 15707315)

SS*Adalberto Mondesi*(left hamstring strain)
Expected return:*First eligible to come off the IL on June 14
Mondesi was*placed on the IL*in a move retroactive to June 4 after feeling his hamstring pull on a defensive play against the Pirates on Memorial Day. After a few days of rest, he has been taking batting practice with the team as well as participating in infield drills. “It’s not out of the question” that Mondesi returns sometime during the next homestand on June 14-20, Matheny said. Swinging and playing defense both look normal for him; it’s the running that’s a concern with a hamstring strain. In Oakland on June 12, Mondesi was on the field pregame with Royals trainers doing agility drills -- quick bursts of running -- to simulate fielding at shortstop and running the bases.

https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-inju...d-roster-moves

ChiTown 06-14-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets (Post 15707410)
SS*Adalberto Mondesi*(left hamstring strain)
Expected return:*First eligible to come off the IL on June 14
Mondesi was*placed on the IL*in a move retroactive to June 4 after feeling his hamstring pull on a defensive play against the Pirates on Memorial Day. After a few days of rest, he has been taking batting practice with the team as well as participating in infield drills. “It’s not out of the question” that Mondesi returns sometime during the next homestand on June 14-20, Matheny said. Swinging and playing defense both look normal for him; it’s the running that’s a concern with a hamstring strain. In Oakland on June 12, Mondesi was on the field pregame with Royals trainers doing agility drills -- quick bursts of running -- to simulate fielding at shortstop and running the bases.

https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-inju...d-roster-moves

Hamstrings are a mother****er. I'm guessing this could be a season-long issue for Mondi

Fansy the Famous Bard 06-14-2021 08:57 AM

Not projecting a very good outcome when 5 of the 9 players you're trotting out in the lineup are below .650 OPS.

ChiefsCountry 06-14-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 15707427)
Hamstrings are a mother****er. I'm guessing this could be a season-long issue for Mondi

At least its warm out, cold weather and hamstrings are even more of a bitch.

TLO 06-14-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 15707072)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If you can&#39;t see difference, Here&#39;s slow-motion gif. <a href="https://t.co/fBVoYXEg0f">pic.twitter.com/fBVoYXEg0f</a></p>&mdash; 준 Jun (@Royals_Jun) <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals_Jun/status/1404109536957394948?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 13, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Might be tipping pitches but he also can't even begin to find the strike zone.

dlphg9 06-14-2021 10:16 AM

Didn't they say Lynch was tipping his pitches as well?

Prison Bitch 06-14-2021 10:19 AM

7. Kansas City Royals
Pick: Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vanderbilt

EL: It indeed feels like, even with a dandy Super Regional start fresh in everyone’s mind, the volatility of Rocker’s stuff will cause him to fall. At some point a team will decide it’s worth the risk to take him and teams tend to think that range begins here with Kansas City. House and Watson have each been mentioned here, too.

KG: The Royals have had tremendous success drafting big-school college arms of late, and Rocker’s late-season surge makes him the perfect fit here.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-mlb...e-month-to-go/

TomBarndtsTwin 06-14-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 15707523)
7. Kansas City Royals

EL: It indeed feels like, even with a dandy Super Regional start fresh in everyone’s mind, the volatility of Rocker’s stuff will cause him to fall. At some point a team will decide it’s worth the risk to take him and teams tend to think that range begins here with Kansas City. House and Watson have each been mentioned here, too.

KG: The Royals have had tremendous success drafting big-school college arms of late, and Rocker’s late-season surge makes him the perfect fit here.

That would be awesome! Kind of like how they lucked into Singer later in the first round in 2018 when his stock dropped.

Have about 4 guys I’d really like to see the Royals get with that #7 pick and he’s near the top!

House would be great too! Hope they stay away from Watson. That would be a disappointing pick.

KChiefs1 06-14-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 15707523)
7. Kansas City Royals

https://media4.giphy.com/media/5GoVLqeAOo6PK/giphy.gif

dlphg9 06-14-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fansy the Famous Bard (Post 15707434)
Not projecting a very good outcome when 5 of the 9 players you're trotting out in the lineup are below .650 OPS.

Yeah, this lineup has so many easy outs. Good thing DM went out and got Santana and Benintendi, because if you take those 2 out of the lineup, then this might be the worst offense in baseball.

It's infuriating seeing Dozier, Soler, and Taylor suck shit every game when we have a young guy in Olivares that can play all 3 OF spots and has been on a tear in AAA.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-14-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 15707576)
Yeah, this lineup has so many easy outs. Good thing DM went out and got Santana and Benintendi, because if you take those 2 out of the lineup, then this might be the worst offense in baseball.

It's infuriating seeing Dozier, Soler, and Taylor suck shit every game when we have a young guy in Olivares that can play all 3 OF spots and has been on a tear in AAA.

Hopefully next year we'll have Mondesi in CF (where maybe [crosses fingers] he can stay healthy better?), which would be a big offensive upgrade from Taylor.

Hopefully Witt Jr. is ready to take over at SS for Mondesi. Maybe Olivares in RF and Soler will be gone, so you'll have the DH spot for Salvy to use on off days from catching.

Dozier just needs to figure shit out. They committed a little bit of money to him, so he's gonna get every chance to lock down 3B or RF. Benny will be back, but I'd like to see them try a do a long term deal with him to keep him in left. He's good enough defensively and he's a good bat to have in the lineup going forward. Santana has one more year at 1B and then hopefully Pratto will be ready to take over in 2023.

There's a lot of potential for a good offensive team there, but at this point it's just that . . . . . . . . potential.

Prison Bitch 06-14-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 15707576)

Oliveres should be starting in RF for no other reason than we need to find out if he’s a regular the next few years.

Soler and Dozier are both 100+ (ops+) since their DL stints. Avg below .200 but that’s a misleading stat in today’s game.

What irks me to no end: this weird obsession with Gutierrez. He flat out sucks. He does nothing well. He absolutely should not be playing over Oliveres. It’s a joke

BWillie 06-14-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 15707519)
Didn't they say Lynch was tipping his pitches as well?

They say every high prospect that comes to the MLB and immediately get shelled tips their pitches.

tk13 06-14-2021 01:51 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a> announce Andrew Benintendi is going on the IL with a right rib fracture. OF Edward Olivares has been recalled.</p>&mdash; Lynn Worthy (@LWorthySports) <a href="https://twitter.com/LWorthySports/status/1404524153944915978?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chiefspants 06-14-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 15707816)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a> announce Andrew Benintendi is going on the IL with a right rib fracture. OF Edward Olivares has been recalled.</p>&mdash; Lynn Worthy (@LWorthySports) <a href="https://twitter.com/LWorthySports/status/1404524153944915978?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ah well. Happy to see Olivares back up.

CasselGotPeedOn 06-14-2021 02:02 PM

Yikes

Mecca 06-14-2021 02:07 PM

Lost 8 of 9 this team is butt.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-14-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 15707816)

Wow.

When it rains, it pours.

First Mondesi, then Duffy, then Mondesi again, now Benny.

That sucks. Gonna be hard to generate offense without him in there with Soler playing awful and Santana struggling right now . . . . .

dlphg9 06-14-2021 02:27 PM

God dammit lol. Of course we get Olivares again, but instead of losing a shit stain, we lose one of our hottest and best bats. Hopefully Oliveras can force the Royals hand while Beni is out.

How long should Beni be out for?

duncan_idaho 06-14-2021 02:37 PM

That Benintendi news is just killer.

The only positive is that at least now Olivares will get every day AB in the majors. But woof. That's a brutal blow to the lineup.

Wilson8 06-14-2021 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 15707870)
How long should Beni be out for?

Quote:

https://www.royalsreview.com/2021/6/...t-rib-fracture

The Royals announced they have placed outfielder Andrew Benintendi on the 10-day Injured List with a right rib fracture and have recalled outfielder Edward Olivares from Triple-A Omaha. Benintendi suffered the injury while making a throw in Sunday’s game in Oakland, according to manager Mike Matheny. An x-ray today showed a hairline fracture. Benintendi missed most of the 2020 season with a right rib cage strain that turned out to be a rib fracture.
Sounds like an injury that Andrew has had a past issue with.

He has tender ribs. (Jack Stack might be interested.)

I'd say they don't rush him back.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-14-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 15707887)
Sounds like an injury that Andrew has had a past issue with.

https://www.royalsreview.com/2021/6/...t-rib-fracture

"The Royals announced they have placed outfielder Andrew Benintendi on the 10-day Injured List with a right rib fracture and have recalled outfielder Edward Olivares from Triple-A Omaha. Benintendi suffered the injury while making a throw in Sunday’s game in Oakland, according to manager Mike Matheny. An x-ray today showed a hairline fracture. Benintendi missed most of the 2020 season with a right rib cage strain that turned out to be a rib fracture."

I'd say they don't rush him back.

Double wow.

Welp, that may about close the book on the 2021 season. Hard to see them generating enough offense to win games with him out for a significant amount of time, in addition to Mondi's hammy and having no idea when he might be back and healthy enough to contribute and pick up some slack.

Just brutal news on those 2 in the last couple weeks.

Unless the starters start pitching lights out, I'm afraid it may be all downhill from here . . . . . . .

This sucks. Really thought they had a legit shot at finishing .500 this year. :cuss:

PHOG 06-14-2021 03:07 PM

Well shit! Benintendi and Mondesi, maybe Mondesi can return this week? And "most of the 2020 season" isn't like a whole season. So there's that. Wait and see I guess. :doh!:

cabletech94 06-14-2021 03:08 PM

Dang it. Bene was arguably our most consistent hitter. #vote Salvy.

gblowfish 06-14-2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 15707898)
Double wow.

Welp, that may about close the book on the 2021 season. Hard to see them generating enough offense to win games with him out for a significant amount of time, in addition to Mondi's hammy and having no idea when he might be back and healthy enough to contribute and pick up some slack.

Just brutal news on those 2 in the last couple weeks.

Unless the starters start pitching lights out, I'm afraid it may be all downhill from here . . . . . . .

This sucks. Really thought they had a legit shot at finishing .500 this year. :cuss:

I can't believe you're giving up on them already. They are exactly 14-14 over the last month, after this shitty road trip. A .500 club. Which is about what MOST of us thought the ceiling was for this club this year. It’s a damn miracle that they had the best record in all of MLB the first month of the season. This defeatist pessimism is frankly unwelcome here.

The run differential thus far should have warned everyone ‘don’t buy the hype’. The White Sox were always the best team in this division and were always going to win it running away. They have more talent than the Royals right now at the Big League level and more importantly, most of their young guys, especially their pitchers, have established themselves at the major league level after REALLY struggling for a couple years. At least our pitching staff leads the American League in walks issued, so they can look at that as an easy starting place to strive for improvement.

You've simply lost your patience and perspective. This is certainly no different for the Royals 2018 draft crop. They’re all going to have to take their lumps for a while. It’s how you learn. When Hosmer, Moose, Salvy, Duffy and Ventura came up they didn’t have immediate success. It took a few years to build something. Ventura tries so hard he drove his Jeep off an embankment and died. Does that effort mean nothing to you? Give em time. Soler needs time. Michael A. Taylor needs time. We probably need to pay Dozier better. Keller, Lynch, Singer need time. Kowar just needs a ump with a more favorable strike zone. I'm sure the Royals are trying as hard as they can to please you every night. Gutierrez may not hit much, but at least he's a solid defensive player you can always rely on.

I'm encouraged that Mondesi made it safely home; getting on an airplane -pressurized at 30,000 feet- without further injury to himself. Poor Benny. You must believe he cracked his rib on purpose so he wouldn't have to face his old Boston family this weekend. Not true. He hurt himself throwing a ball in from the outfield. That's dangerous! Wade Davis is trying as hard as he can for you, working on a 45 mph change up. Bubich goes out there and gives it his all, even though he's got the word "Bitch" in his last name. He has feelings; deep, complex feelings that can be easily damaged by those who would mock him. People like you who have lost faith. Baseball reference says the team at this point has a 0.1% chance to make the World Series. So there is hope.

I'm shocked and disappointed that you have posted these comments towards the Royals. Shame on you. They come across as nothing more than the snide defeatist comments of someone reveling in their losing. You must be a miserable individual. I suggest your mom must have birthed you out of wedlock. You should engage in more meaningful baseball discussions here, and be more positive and productive. Surely other people in this thread will soon point this out besides me. Chin up little camper!

srvy 06-14-2021 09:09 PM

:rolleyes:

WhawhaWhat 06-14-2021 09:24 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The memo outlining the plan for foreign substances is coming tomorrow, sources tell ESPN, and it includes a 10-day suspension with pay for anyone caught with any sort of substance, from sunscreen mixed with rosin to Spider Tack. News story is free at ESPN: <a href="https://t.co/9rsIVnRhTK">https://t.co/9rsIVnRhTK</a></p>&mdash; Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1404629668716744706?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 15, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chiefspants 06-14-2021 09:29 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Royals are 2-35 in their last 35 ABs with runners in scoring position.</p>&mdash; Alec Lewis (@alec_lewis) <a href="https://twitter.com/alec_lewis/status/1404631916029087744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 15, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not on the fire GMDM train or the fire Matheny train. But to me this is a put up or shut up year for Bradshaw and Eldred. It is critical we have competent people in those spots as our young bats and arms start out next season.

theoldcoach 06-14-2021 09:35 PM

2-35 in their last 35 at bats with runners in scoring position?

Good God!!

I have no idea how any Major League team can be that bad.

Sure-Oz 06-14-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 15708384)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The memo outlining the plan for foreign substances is coming tomorrow, sources tell ESPN, and it includes a 10-day suspension with pay for anyone caught with any sort of substance, from sunscreen mixed with rosin to Spider Tack. News story is free at ESPN: <a href="https://t.co/9rsIVnRhTK">https://t.co/9rsIVnRhTK</a></p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1404629668716744706?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 15, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Weak

bringbackmarty 06-14-2021 10:20 PM

The Chiken Tendi news is just awful. Soler had a decent night. The 12-13 risp sucks ass,.as does the starting pitching. I'd say the guys left on base is a.product of young hitting butI think it's more about the absolute black hole that is Dozier.

smithandrew051 06-14-2021 10:22 PM

I’m starting to think we won’t win the World Series this year

TLO 06-15-2021 06:38 AM

5 game winning streak starts tonight boys and girls

TomBarndtsTwin 06-15-2021 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15708315)
I can't believe you're giving up on them already. They are exactly 14-14 over the last month, after this shitty road trip. A .500 club. Which is about what MOST of us thought the ceiling was for this club this year. It’s a damn miracle that they had the best record in all of MLB the first month of the season. This defeatist pessimism is frankly unwelcome here.

The run differential thus far should have warned everyone ‘don’t buy the hype’. The White Sox were always the best team in this division and were always going to win it running away. They have more talent than the Royals right now at the Big League level and more importantly, most of their young guys, especially their pitchers, have established themselves at the major league level after REALLY struggling for a couple years. At least our pitching staff leads the American League in walks issued, so they can look at that as an easy starting place to strive for improvement.

You've simply lost your patience and perspective. This is certainly no different for the Royals 2018 draft crop. They’re all going to have to take their lumps for a while. It’s how you learn. When Hosmer, Moose, Salvy, Duffy and Ventura came up they didn’t have immediate success. It took a few years to build something. Ventura tries so hard he drove his Jeep off an embankment and died. Does that effort mean nothing to you? Give em time. Soler needs time. Michael A. Taylor needs time. We probably need to pay Dozier better. Keller, Lynch, Singer need time. Kowar just needs a ump with a more favorable strike zone. I'm sure the Royals are trying as hard as they can to please you every night. Gutierrez may not hit much, but at least he's a solid defensive player you can always rely on.

I'm encouraged that Mondesi made it safely home; getting on an airplane -pressurized at 30,000 feet- without further injury to himself. Poor Benny. You must believe he cracked his rib on purpose so he wouldn't have to face his old Boston family this weekend. Not true. He hurt himself throwing a ball in from the outfield. That's dangerous! Wade Davis is trying as hard as he can for you, working on a 45 mph change up. Bubich goes out there and gives it his all, even though he's got the word "Bitch" in his last name. He has feelings; deep, complex feelings that can be easily damaged by those who would mock him. People like you who have lost faith. Baseball reference says the team at this point has a 0.1% chance to make the World Series. So there is hope.

I'm shocked and disappointed that you have posted these comments towards the Royals. Shame on you. They come across as nothing more than the snide defeatist comments of someone reveling in their losing. You must be a miserable individual. I suggest your mom must have birthed you out of wedlock. You should engage in more meaningful baseball discussions here, and be more positive and productive. Surely other people in this thread will soon point this out besides me. Chin up little camper!

Losing Beni is rough and kills what is an already struggling offense. That's frustrating, because with all the injuries piling up, it's hard to imagine this team being able to generate enough offense to win games. I'm not 'giving up', but you can only lose so many key players for extended periods of time and still have any realistic expectation that they can compete night in and night out. It sucks, but it is what it is. I, DO NOT, by any means, revel in their losing like some seem to do on here. And again, check my post history in this thread lately versus yours, if you wanna talk about meaningful baseball discussion. I'll stand on my body of work in the baseball thread versus yours anyday.

Sorry, George, that you didn't like me calling you out in this thread and it hurt your feels. Super creative of you to copy my post to you, though. Just top notch work on your part. :thumb:

DJJasonp 06-15-2021 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bringbackmarty (Post 15708421)
The Chiken Tendi news is just awful. Soler had a decent night. The 12-13 risp sucks ass,.as does the starting pitching. I'd say the guys left on base is a.product of young hitting butI think it's more about the absolute black hole that is Dozier.

a lot of unprofessional at-bats.

Guys not slapping to opposite field to move runners, etc.

Lots of selfish swings (for the fences), rather than doing the big-league thing.

Meatloaf 06-15-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 15708597)
a lot of unprofessional at-bats.

Guys not slapping to opposite field to move runners, etc.

Lots of selfish swings (for the fences), rather than doing the big-league thing.

Absolutely agree with this DJJasonP. I've never seen so many unprofessional at bats. Hell, Dozier hasn't had a true major league swing in what seems like forever. Looks like he's swatting flies up there. Just horrible. Back to Omaha says I.

And he's not alone. Hells/bells, Solar could hit me in the face with his bat and I don't think he'd even cause a bruise.

Nice power hitters.....not.

tk13 06-15-2021 09:11 AM

I had no idea Billy Butler held the record for more 3+ doubles games in a season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Michael Brantley is the 5th player in the modern era(since 1900)to have 3+ games n a season w/ 3+ doubles.According to the Astros other 4 are:<br>4 2009 Billy Butler<br>3 2007 Aaron Rowand<br>3 2006 Mike Lowell<br>3 1926 Earl Sheely</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1404567748395536395?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tyreekthefreak 06-15-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15708315)

Give em time? The players you mention aren't rookies! There's a reason other teams got rid of them! They can't hit!!! All these young arms are getting screwed by the coaching philosophy of this club; don't give the batters anything to hit!!! These young arms should be throwing strikes regardless of the count....especially at the spacious K!!!! These coaches/scouts all suck!!!!

duncan_idaho 06-15-2021 09:27 AM

I don't think the Royals are getting excellent pitching coaching, I don't know about the hitting instruction (they're tight, and several guys seem to have no plan), and I'm not sure what is going on with Perez.

Salvador has never been a good pitch framer, but now he's trying so hard to be better at framing, he's noticeably jerking the glove a lot and costing his guys strikes at the bottom of the zone. Happened a handful of times to Keller in the 1st last night. They'd be better off if he just didn't try. At all.

I was not a fan of the Cal Eldred hire and remain not a fan of his. I also was not a fan of Matheny and, though he has improved in some aspects of things, I still think he has trouble getting his team to relax and play loose. That's why they're so streaky and also points to why the situational hitting has been so poor.

Anyway, they could clean-sweep the coaching staff and I wouldn't blink. I don't think there's anyone in that group that really is outstanding at what they do.

BWillie 06-15-2021 10:08 AM

Since we suck again, how about an MILB UPDATE!

AAA OMAHA STORMCHASERS
Ryan OHearn 52 AB, 10 HR, .365 avg, 1.393 OPS
Bubba Starling 47 AB, 7 HR, .298 avg, 1.176 OPS
Edward Olivares 100 AB, 6 HR, .370 avg, 1.062 OPS
Sebastsion Rivero 59 AB, 3 HR, .390 avg, .968 OPS
Ryan McBroom 134 AB, 12 HR, .261 avg, .901 OPS
Alcides Escobar 77 AB, 3 HR, .325 avg, .898 OPS
Gabe Cancel 112 AB, 10 HR, .241 avg, .850 OPS
Kyle Isbel 132 AB, 2 HR, .235 avg, .651 OPS
Daniel Lynch 5.61 era, 9 BB, 28 SO
Jackson Kowar 0.85 era, 10 BB, 41 SO
Scott Blew It 5.28 era, 13 BB, 32 SO

AA NW Arkansas Naturals
Nick Pratto 112 AB, 11 HR, .313 avg, 1.139 OPS
MJ Melendez 106 AB, 10 HR, .255 avg, .913 OPS
Bobby Witt Jr 135 AB, 10 HR, .244 avg, .823 OPS
Brewer Hicklen 90 AB, 3 HR, .178 avg, .604 OPS
Austin Cox 5.84 era, 6 BB, 11 SO
Jonathan Bowlan 1.59 era, 3 BB, 25 SO
Alec Marsh 4.94 era, 11 BB, 39 SO
Jon Heasley 2.62 era, 17 BB, 33 SO

HIGH A Quad City Bandits
Vinnie Pasquantino 137 AB, 11 HR, .234 avg, .869 ops
Tyler Gentry 114 AB, 5 HR, .263 avg, .850 ops
Eric Cole 107 AB, 5 HR, .206 avg, .746 ops
Nick Loftin 109 AB, 4 HR, .229 avg, .702 ops
Seuly Matias 41 AB, 0 HR, .146 avg
Angel Zerpa 2.27 era, 7 BB, 45 SO
Zach Haake 5.28 era, 17 BB, 34 SO
Ben Hernandez 5.01 era, 14 BB, 18 SO
Asa Lacy 6.65 ERA, 19 BB, 36 SO

Columbia Fire Flies - LOW A
Maikel Garcia 108 AB, 0 HR, .315 avg, .843 ops
Brady McConnell 81 AB, 3 HR, .235 avg, .746 ops
Daniel Tillo couldn't find any stats
Noah Murdock couldn't find rookie ball stats
Erick Pena...couldn't find any stats, not sure wtf he's doing

TomBarndtsTwin 06-15-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyreekthefreak (Post 15708644)
Give em time? The players you mention aren't rookies! There's a reason other teams got rid of them! They can't hit!!! All these young arms are getting screwed by the coaching philosophy of this club; don't give the batters anything to hit!!! These young arms should be throwing strikes regardless of the count....especially at the spacious K!!!! These coaches/scouts all suck!!!!

FYI, that was a TIC post by George making fun of my previous post towards him. It was not intended to be taken as a serious post.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-15-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15708696)
Since we suck again, how about an MILB UPDATE!

AAA OMAHA STORMCHASERS
Ryan OHearn 52 AB, 10 HR, .365 avg, 1.393 OPS
Bubba Starling 47 AB, 7 HR, .298 avg, 1.176 OPS
Edward Olivares 100 AB, 6 HR, .370 avg, 1.062 OPS
Sebastsion Rivero 59 AB, 3 HR, .390 avg, .968 OPS
Ryan McBroom 134 AB, 12 HR, .261 avg, .901 OPS
Alcides Escobar 77 AB, 3 HR, .325 avg, .898 OPS
Gabe Cancel 112 AB, 10 HR, .241 avg, .850 OPS
Kyle Isbel 132 AB, 2 HR, .235 avg, .651 OPS
Daniel Lynch 5.61 era, 9 BB, 28 SO
Jackson Kowar 0.85 era, 10 BB, 41 SO
Scott Blew It 5.28 era, 13 BB, 32 SO

AA NW Arkansas Naturals
Nick Pratto 112 AB, 11 HR, .313 avg, 1.139 OPS
MJ Melendez 106 AB, 10 HR, .255 avg, .913 OPS
Bobby Witt Jr 135 AB, 10 HR, .244 avg, .823 OPS
Brewer Hicklen 90 AB, 3 HR, .178 avg, .604 OPS
Austin Cox 5.84 era, 6 BB, 11 SO
Jonathan Bowlan 1.59 era, 3 BB, 25 SO
Alec Marsh 4.94 era, 11 BB, 39 SO
Jon Heasley 2.62 era, 17 BB, 33 SO

HIGH A Quad City Bandits
Vinnie Pasquantino 137 AB, 11 HR, .234 avg, .869 ops
Tyler Gentry 114 AB, 5 HR, .263 avg, .850 ops
Eric Cole 107 AB, 5 HR, .206 avg, .746 ops
Nick Loftin 109 AB, 4 HR, .229 avg, .702 ops
Seuly Matias 41 AB, 0 HR, .146 avg
Angel Zerpa 2.27 era, 7 BB, 45 SO
Zach Haake 5.28 era, 17 BB, 34 SO
Ben Hernandez 5.01 era, 14 BB, 18 SO
Asa Lacy 6.65 ERA, 19 BB, 36 SO

Columbia Fire Flies - LOW A
Maikel Garcia 108 AB, 0 HR, .315 avg, .843 ops
Brady McConnell 81 AB, 3 HR, .235 avg, .746 ops
Daniel Tillo couldn't find any stats
Noah Murdock couldn't find rookie ball stats
Erick Pena...couldn't find any stats, not sure wtf he's doing

Yikes, Quad City!

Good lord, Asa . . . . . . really struggling with your control. And I think we can almost *officially* write Seuly Matias off at this point. There's some international money you wish you had spent differently, *cough* Juan Soto *cough* Fernando Tatis Jr . . . . . . . . .

theoldcoach 06-15-2021 10:42 AM

Don't worry. Soler will start hitting when the weather gets warm!

Prison Bitch 06-15-2021 10:56 AM

Tillo blew out his elbow and Erick Pena is at extended ST in Surprise and won’t be st A ball until July

Mama Hip Rockets 06-15-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 15708423)
I’m starting to think we won’t win the World Series this year

Bookmarked.