ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Raiders release DJ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318249)

Titty Meat 10-17-2018 09:26 PM

What's better? Ragland with 1 leg or DJ with no legs?

Gravedigger 10-17-2018 09:32 PM

I hope he retires and goes into coaching, would love his presence on the sidelines.

JakeF 10-17-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 13825339)
I hope he retires and goes into coaching, would love his presence on the sidelines.

Of course, I would still like to see if he can help us for these last 10 games before he goes into coaching though.

New World Order 10-17-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13825199)
It doesn’t really matter how smart he is. He’s to slow.

You can’t make up for that

At least he can make tackles (maybe)

It can’t get any worse

Chargem 10-17-2018 11:58 PM

PFF rates by Run Defense, Tackling, Pass Rush and Coverage. DJ's lowest category from those 4 this year is tackling...

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-18-2018 12:20 AM

Go play golf for a couple of years, DJ.

scho63 10-18-2018 12:39 AM

"Chiefs announce mid-season hire, former Chief Derrick Johnson hired to become linebacker coach!"

I would be thrilled!

Rain Man 10-18-2018 08:30 AM

Have we signed him yet? We need to give him time to get his stuff arranged in his locker before the game on Sunday.

oldman 10-18-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13825313)
I've been watching a lot of film and the most conspicuous issue I see with the MLBs is hesitation at the snap. At first, I thought they were just having trouble shedding blocks. Then, I thought maybe they simply weren't hitting the correct gaps (which might explain why they were taking bad angles and the blocks were thusly more effective). Finally, I realized that the issue is more fundamental. They're guessing out there. Now, I don't know the calls, obviously, so I'm not completely certain that's the case. However, it appears to me that they are hesitating at the snap. Can't read ... can't react.

To me, that means one of two things; either they're presented with un-scouted formations or they're simply unsure of their responsibility. If it's the latter, that's on the coaches. If it's the former, they need to do more film work.

If any of that is true, it boils down to this; knowing and expecting is a ton better than guessing and indecisive. In that light, I view DJ as a net positive (if I'm right, of course).

You hit the nail right on the head with this analysis, FAX. That 1st step is the key and our ILBs let the blockers get right on them before they react.

htismaqe 10-18-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 13825831)
You hit the nail right on the head with this analysis, FAX. That 1st step is the key and our ILBs let the blockers get right on them before they react.

It's the line's job to keep blockers off the LB's though.

Rain Man 10-18-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13825852)

But we usually only have two linemen.

htismaqe 10-18-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13825857)
But we usually only have two linemen.

Well, we usually have 3 not 2. But they're still not always doing their job, especially Chris Jones, who often shoots the gap regardless of his responsibility.

Anthony Hitchens is not going to win a 1-on-1 matchup with a center down after down. Neither is DJ, for that matter. And that was happening a lot on Sunday night - the center was getting a free release right into Hitchens.

FAX 10-18-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13825852)

I don't know the percentages (have neither the time nor the willpower to attempt to count), but it seems like a lot of the problems are associated with pulling guards and TEs. Weak side, strong side, doesn't seem to matter.

I mean, you're right of course, but a down lineman isn't really expected to defeat a double team AND pick up a pulling guard to keep the LBs clean, is he?

I suppose you could expect them to bull-rush the o-lineman so far back that he disrupts the pulling player. That happens sometimes. Hard to ask a guy to do that consistently. I would think a MLB should be able to read his triangle keys (guard, center, RB) and figure it the hell out. Then again, I'm not an expert.

FAX

Rain Man 10-18-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13825867)
I don't know the percentages (have neither the time nor the willpower to attempt to count), but it seems like a lot of the problems are associated with pulling guards and TEs. Weak side, strong side, doesn't seem to matter.

I mean, you're right of course, but a down lineman isn't really expected to defeat a double team AND pick up a pulling guard to keep the LBs clean, is he?

I suppose you could expect them to bull-rush the o-lineman so far back that he disrupts the pulling player. That happens sometimes. Hard to ask a guy to do that consistently. I would think a MLB should be able to read his triangle keys (guard, center, RB) and figure it the hell out. Then again, I'm not an expert.

FAX

Whatever our ILBs are doing wrong, it's easy for other teams to figure out and exploit because it's happening every week. If it's that easy to figure out, it seems like our guys would know it, too, and find a solution.

I still think it's literally a matter of poundage. We're playing really small and light defensive sets to maximize pass coverage, and they just get run over.

gblowfish 10-18-2018 10:10 AM

I'd be for this, except I remember watching DJ in pass coverage on backs last year, and he just simply doesn't have the speed to cover anymore. If he had anything left in the tank, the Raiders would be playing him.

He'd make a great coach someday, but he's done as a player.