ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life One of my colleagues from college married a former student of his (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261004)

Dayze 07-01-2012 02:53 AM

I 100% agree. wait...wut?

Mojo Jojo 07-01-2012 04:38 AM

One of my best friends in grade school parents met while he was the college teacher and she was his student. Ironic thing....my former mother in law was class mates with her at that time.

BillSelfsTrophycase 07-01-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8712312)
pics or GTFO

This

Cheater5 07-01-2012 07:12 AM

Meh. No big deal really. Two adults when they met, and two adults when they wed. This isn't like he was bird-dogging this chick when she was underage, and just biding his time.

LVNHACK 07-01-2012 07:24 AM

Really...who gives a **** ?

Lbedrock1 07-01-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8712255)
It seems very unlikely to me that these two wouldn't have been porking on the side when she was his student. In those two years she was doing her grad work (in the same field) at Texas-Austin while he was back teaching in Iowa. Meaning in order to foster a relationship in between breaks for the both of them, they must have decided to be romantically involved before then. Because part of those two years also involved planning out a wedding.

Okay, now I sound like the creep for being nosy in the details, but I'm not the only one from my graduating class who knew this guy who thinks this is a little funky. A few of my old friends even called me up to say "WTF?"

It really make you seem super creepy that this bothers you. Decades ago men would marry 13 year olds which was creepy, but you would not be here if that didn't happen back then. This is a good way to Look at it. If they are grown and are not hurting anyone it is their busy stop worrying about other grown people's business. You seem like the creepy one when u do.

-King- 07-01-2012 08:23 AM

There is a lot of typing being done in this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR 07-01-2012 08:29 AM

It's not the age that concerns me. How many times has that been said now?

Ceej 07-01-2012 08:40 AM

I'm seeing a lot of words I dont think CPers use in real life!

58-4ever 07-01-2012 09:20 AM

I think it's more creepy that you're Facebook stalking an acquaintance and the "creepy" factor is actually jealousy..

Bwana 07-01-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 8712469)
I think it's more creepy that you're Facebook stalking an acquaintance and the "creepy" factor is actually jealousy..

Just one more reason I say **** you, to Facebook.

Frazod 07-01-2012 09:27 AM

Meh. I'm eight years older than my wife.

cdcox 07-01-2012 09:43 AM

Teachers shouldn't date their students, regardless of the ages of the participants, for obvious reasons. Any one who thinks otherwise is just wrong from an ethical perspective.

Basically the relationship needs to stay professional until the faculty member no longer has the ability to influence, either positively or negatively, the student's academic career. After the student finishes the class, graduates from the department, and the power imbalance and temptations to show favoritism are completely removed, ethical concerns are less but could persist in certain cases. For example, using ones influence with peers to assist the career of the protege is out of bounds and the ability to do so could persist for years.

Obviously student-faculty relationships don't always happen this way. Most administrators are hesitant to sanction a faculty member unless it is a sexual harassment situation, although I am aware of cases of consensual faculty-student relationships where sanctions were given.

In a case where the couple ends up in long term committed relationship after the student-faculty relationship has ended, I am personally willing to consider the reprehensibly and ethically bankrupt indiscretions of the past to be in the category of "let bygones be bygones".

Gonzo 07-01-2012 09:55 AM

Heh, I guess I need to be careful when I post in one of the car help threads about blowing a tranny in my pickup, huh?

SPATCH 07-01-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 8712482)
Teachers shouldn't date their students, regardless of the ages of the participants, for obvious reasons. Any one who thinks otherwise is just wrong from an ethical perspective.

I agree, in principle, with this policy. However, I regard human love as an extremely complex phenomenon, and one that transcends bullshit "policies" and "ethical perspectives" and what not. Good on them that they were able to wait two years after the teacher-student thing. Shame on OP and the rest of you for judging them.

Intelligent people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.

Their love is not of your concern.