ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Mountain Lion sighting.... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230457)

Radar Chief 07-09-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6869586)
Will a mountain lion attack a human as prey, or only if threatened/protecting young?

A full sized man? No, only if the cougar is rabid or nearly starved to death, or like you say cornered / protecting young. Children are another matter, but that’s how a cougar rolls. They prey on the sick and the young.

raybec 4 07-09-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 6869424)
you are right, MDC is real sluggish to admit the predator population in mo is growing. they just this year advised people to beware of the rising black bear population, and they will never admit to having mountain lions here...

They have reluctantly admitted there may be transient cats, but claim there is no resident population. They also claim the cats won't breed in Mo either. My buddy lives outside of Lebanon and has been actively trying to kill the one he claims lives near his farm.

MOhillbilly 07-09-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 6869653)
They have reluctantly admitted there may be transient cats, but claim there is no resident population. They also claim the cats won't breed in Mo either. My buddy lives outside of Lebanon and has been actively trying to kill the one he claims lives near his farm.

hit me up if he does. id pay for a tusk.

Hydrae 07-09-2010 10:21 AM

With the explosion in the deer population around most of the country, a rise in predator population should not be a surprise to anyone.

raybec 4 07-09-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6869669)
hit me up if he does. id pay for a tusk.

You got it, he says it's running his cows and he doesn't mind sitting out there waiting on it when they're calving.

MOhillbilly 07-09-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 6869670)
With the explosion in the deer population around most of the country, a rise in predator population should not be a surprise to anyone.

the redfox population has exploded in my area. i find dens w/ turkey wings around them every year. MO has 750K+ turkeys.

MOhillbilly 07-09-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 6869672)
You got it, he says it's running his cows and he doesn't mind sitting out there waiting on it when they're calving.

id bait & poison early and often if hes sure thats what it is.

raybec 4 07-09-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6869679)
id bait & poison early and often if hes sure thats what it is.

Says he's seen it, he's full of shit sometimes though.

Gonzo 07-09-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsOne (Post 6869482)
I have seen two black panthers on different occasions.

Fight the power.
:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Frosty 07-09-2010 11:13 AM

Mountain lions are great until they get into your backyard and drag your toddler off into the brush.

Quote:

24 August. Jacob Walsh of Kettle Falls, Washington, was dragged off by a lion that released him after being chased off by a screaming adult. This was the second attack in Washington in two years. (Spokane Spokesman-Review 9/4/99)
This happened about three miles from where we live and happened in a subdivision, not out in the woods.

BigOlChiefsfan 07-09-2010 12:58 PM

Beast in the Garden - True Story of a Predator's Deadly Return in Suburban America

Where they're hunted regularly, lions tend to leave humans alone. But elsewhere they're apt to consider you prey until you prove otherwise.

For some reason the MDC likes to pretend there aren't any wild cougars around here. They say there isn't a 'breeding population' present. I guess they think all these danged mountain lions are queer as $3 bills.

HUNTER-PHOTOGRAPHS-MOUNTAIN-LION-IN-NORTHWEST-KANSAS

Fish 07-09-2010 01:32 PM

I've seen scratches on trees while out deer hunting that I'd swear had to be either mountain lion or bear. Nearly 5 feet off the ground, scratch marks an inch apart. I've seen tracks as well that were clearly a different pad than a big dog, and without claw marks. I've heard the damn things on our farm. Terrifying sound. Like a cross between a woman screaming in pain and a baby crying.

Radar Chief 07-09-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6870030)
I've heard the damn things on our farm. Terrifying sound. Like a cross between a woman screaming in pain and a baby crying.

Oh man. I was camping at Grand Lake one time when something started emitting this scream that sounded like a women getting stabbed to death in the woods behind my tent. Sounded like it was right there behind my tent but had to been better than 50 yards away because it wasn’t even slightly deterred by my spotlight shinning into the woods and I couldn’t see anything of it.
Funny part was, my two dogs that had been running around and barking at everything in sight were hiding in my tent with nothing but their noses sticking out when that screaming started up. They didn’t want anything to do with that critter.

Chief Henry 07-09-2010 02:01 PM

Six of us were heading to Canada on July 1st last week for a fishing trip in Ontario. Just south of Mason City, Iowa 3 of the 6 of us see a dead mountain lion in the ditch. Since I was driving I didn't see it. But 3 of my friends swear it was a dead mnt. lion in the ditch.

Fish 07-09-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 6870082)
Oh man. I was camping at Grand Lake one time when something started emitting this scream that sounded like a women getting stabbed to death in the woods behind my tent. Sounded like it was right there behind my tent but had to been better than 50 yards away because it wasn’t even slightly deterred by my spotlight shinning into the woods and I couldn’t see anything of it.
Funny part was, my two dogs that had been running around and barking at everything in sight were hiding in my tent with nothing but their noses sticking out when that screaming started up. They didn’t want anything to do with that critter.

Yup. Same experience with the dogs..

I had a greyhound growing up that was one of the meanest fighting dogs you've ever seen. He weighed about 90lbs. Great with people, but a mean SOB to anything 4-legged. Came from a long line of expensive coyote hunting dogs in KS. He killed a badger when he was 10 months old. Wasn't afraid of anything. But the night I heard the calls down in the woods behind the farm, he was scared shitless. Tail between his legs, and he was attached to my side. Wouldn't get more than a foot away from me. Quiet as a mouse, wouldn't even bark or anything. His behavior scared me a hell of a lot more than the noises I was hearing. At first I thought it was a coyote killing a nest of rabbits or something, but it went on for over 30 minutes. Didn't find out till after I started asking around that it was likely a cougar. Then I heard story after story of "Yeah, so and so saw one up by his farm, other guy heard one out hunting too, etc."