ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Cubs acquire Rich Harden (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=186987)

SPATCH 07-08-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 4835765)
It wasn't Pau for Kwame. It was Pau for Javaris Crittendon (2007 1st rounder), Marc Gasol (07-08 Spanish league MVP), a 2008 1st rounder (Darrell Arthur), a 2010 1st rounder, and expirings.

As a Grizzlies fan, I'm not too upset about that deal, since it's positioned the team to make a big addition next summer (Boozer pls kthx) after accumulating a really talented backcourt and some nice frontcourt prospects in Arthur and Gasol (plus Warrick, who could be a valuable trade piece).

that is the most wonderful spin i have ever seen put on that trade... nice work.

not to derail this thread or anything

Frazod 07-08-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 4835773)
have no idea why you are using "you/your" when you're addressing me. i'm not a cubs fan if that is what you think.

i'm just saying that the cardinals have been banking on the cubs/brewers/astros to eat shit when it matters for too long now. if they don't make a move, they won't make the playoffs.

Well, pardon me. Generally you'd have to be a Cubs homer to be spouting that "class of the NL" horseshit.

Ultra Peanut 07-08-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4835750)
Oh yeah. Real tough stretch there where you clowns didn't play a team with a winning record for over a month.

Oh, you mean April? Funny that you're ruminating on that, because they just came out of a month with a tough schedule in which they played long stretches without their best offensive outfielder and their ace pitcher, yet finished 15-12 despite a 1-5 slump at the end of said difficult month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
Let's start printing World Series t-shirts because you can beat the crap out of Pittsburgh. LMAO

It's not the Cubs' fault that the Cardinals are 4-5 against the ****ing Pirates. Yeah, that's a whopping three games less than the Cubs have played against them.

Good teams beat bad teams. That's kind of the job.

Four teams in all of baseball have winning records on the road. Two of them lead their division (by 6 and 1.5 games), one is 3.5 games back, and the other is 8.5 games back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
Generally you'd have to be a Cubs homer to be spouting that "class of the NL" horseshit.

Yeah, having a run differential of +100 and leading the division that features the three best records in the league completely fails to resemble the "class" of said league.

Coach 07-08-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4835807)
Well, pardon me. Generally you'd have to be a Cubs homer to be spouting that "class of the NL" horseshit.

Even an average MLB fan would generally concede to the fact that the Cubs are the class of the NL, currently.

Ultra Peanut 07-08-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 4835785)
that is the most wonderful spin i have ever seen put on that trade... nice work.

not to derail this thread or anything

It's not spin, just an acknowledgment of the fact that the Grizzlies got some solid young players and a shitload of cap space in return. I know the popular thing to do as soon as the trade was announced was to say, "HURRR GRIZZLIES R DUMN," (thanks for the insight, ESPN!) but it wasn't even remotely the "magic beans" scenario it was painted as. The team wasn't going anywhere with Pau's skillset/contract combination, and this afforded a chance to rebuild.

Frazod 07-08-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 4835808)
Oh, you mean April? Funny that you're ruminating on that, because they just came out of a month with a tough schedule in which they played long stretches without their best offensive outfielder and their ace pitcher, yet finished 15-12 despite a 1-5 slump at the end of said difficult month.

It's not the Cubs' fault that the Cardinals are 4-5 against the ****ing Pirates. Yeah, that's a whopping three games less than the Cubs have played against them.

Good teams beat bad teams. That's kind of the job.

Four teams in all of baseball have winning records on the road. Two of them lead their division (by 6 and 1.5 games), one is 3.5 games back, and the other is 8.5 games back.

I wasn't even talking about April. From May 5 until June 17, the Cubs did not play a team that currently has a winning record. Check it yourself if you don't believe me. To be fair though, at the time, Arizona did have a winning record, so let's call it from May 12 to June 17. Still over a month.

Wow, I'm just in fucking awe over Cub greatness. :whackit:

And BTW, as you certainly know, one of the Four teams that has a winning road record is St. Louis.

Frazod 07-08-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 4835812)
Even an average MLB fan would generally concede to the fact that the Cubs are the class of the NL, currently.

Sorry, but being the flavor of the month cock at ESPN doesn't impress me. Beating up on the dregs of the league doesn't impress me. The Cubs have only won TWO series against a winning team all year - a two game sweep against the .506 Mets at home in April, and this past weekend in St. Louis. And it's not like they exactly beat the hell out of us, either.

Perhaps they should win at least one more series against a good team before we anoint them as the '27 Yankees. :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut 07-08-2008 07:40 PM

Farewell, sweet prince.

http://i37.tinypic.com/302ueko.jpg

SPATCH 07-08-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4835848)
Sorry, but being the flavor of the month cock at ESPN doesn't impress me. Beating up on the dregs of the league doesn't impress me. The Cubs have only won TWO series against a winning team all year - a two game sweep against the .506 Mets at home in April, and this past weekend in St. Louis. And it's not like they exactly beat the hell out of us, either.

Perhaps they should win at least one more series against a good team before we anoint them as the '27 Yankees. :rolleyes:

that's not true... i can already think of one more off the top of my head. didn't they sweep the white sox in the north side?

Pasta Little Brioni 07-08-2008 08:05 PM

Great deal for the Cubs. Even though Harden is injury prone, they really didn't give up anyone that probably fit in thier future plans. Well worth the risk for a talent like Harden.....that said i hope he gets a hangnail and hits the DL ASAP :thumb:

Pasta Little Brioni 07-08-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4835848)

Can't wait till the Cards "acquire" 2 stud pitchers when Wainwright and Carpenter come back...HEH

Jewish Rabbi 07-08-2008 08:10 PM

Not saying the Cardinals are going to win the division, or even make the playoffs, because I'm not sure Mozeliak will go out and get some bullpen help, but it's kinda ridiculous to count out the Cards. They've found ways to win thus far into the season, and are ahead of the Brewers in the standings. Over the past few days on ESPN, the Cardinals haven't been discussed when it comes to winning the Central OR Wild Card.

Frazod 07-08-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 4835909)
that's not true... i can already think of one more off the top of my head. didn't they sweep the white sox in the north side?

I stand corrected :wayne: I got wrapped up in their stats against the NL.

So they've won three.

Impressive.

Frazod 07-08-2008 08:13 PM

Right now offensive seems to be the Cards' biggest problem. They won tonight, but the final score was 2-0.

But against the Phillies, ON THE ROAD, I'll take it.

SPATCH 07-08-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4835952)
I stand corrected :wayne: I got wrapped up in their stats against the NL.

So they've won three.

Impressive.

winning records are scantly present in the NL...