ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Happy Veterans Day! Freebies for the Vets (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236157)

HemiEd 11-11-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 7164378)
Thank you Veterans for your service!
And also thanks to Applebee's for the free meals today... we're taking about 20 homeless veterans to get a free meal this evening.

Good for you, it just makes me sick to think of homeless, and veteran in the same sentence. But it is the sad reality.

USN AE2 Search and Rescue
68-73

Frazod 11-11-2010 03:21 PM

Don't really want anything free, but for once it would be nice to get the ****ing day off.

:cuss:

Oregon chief 11-11-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7164910)
Don't really want anything free, but for once it would be nice to get the ****ing day off.

Amen to that

JohninGpt 11-11-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Me too, but I did take off for a couple hours to attend a Veterans Day assembly at my son's school.
I've been sung to, poemed to, bugled at, and fed cookies.

joesomebody 11-11-2010 03:53 PM

Dairy Queen in Fayette MO is giving a free combo meal to vets today. Not sure if other Dairy Queen's are. It was a nice surprise on my way back to Columbia.

BigRedChief 11-11-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbymitch (Post 7148843)
I am personally pleased to see that our veterans are given some measure of thanks for their service to the country.

I remember the days of being despised while in uniform and how dangerous it was being out in public, especially in California. We pretty much had to change in civies at a locker club for some sense of normality off the base. Hell, I was treated better by the elder Japanese than I was in Long Beach.

Of all the countries that I have been to, the only one still truly grateful for US soldiers/sailors was Australia. One couldn't buy a beer there; someone always stepped in and paid.

I never understood the treatment of soldiers in that era. Most were draftees, not volunteers. They didn't declare a war, or keep an unpopular war going. They were just foot soldiers doing their job.

I know the concept, they couldn't get access to Nixon to yell at him, spit on him so they took their anger out on the joe soldier they could see on the street. But, I still don't see how the displacement of anger helped them. Did they really blame the grunt soldiers for the war in Vietnam?

Rain Man 11-11-2010 06:12 PM

If I had known about all the free stuff, I would've done a hitch in the military.

Frazod 11-11-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7165253)
If I had known about all the free stuff, I would've done a hitch in the military.

If I'd known how much healthcare would cost, I'd have stayed in for the full 20.

Barret 11-11-2010 06:50 PM

US Navy Radioman
'90-'94
USS L.Mendel Rivers SSN 686.

go bo 11-11-2010 09:18 PM

just got back from applebees...

had the 7 ounce steak and got lots of appreciation from the staff...

it was a good deal and a good experience...

will probably do it again next year (this was my first freebie meal ever for being a vet)...

thanks to all my fellow vets and to those on active duty...

go bo 11-11-2010 09:19 PM

oh, mp army 66 -69...

Marcellus 11-11-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Lol. No shit. It cracks me up that the banks close. You know most of those women working at the bank are Vets. LMAO.

School still goes on, pretty much all business except for banks are open.

The holiday doesn't get it's due.

ChiefsrGood 11-12-2010 02:09 AM

2nd general army 73-74

Simply Red 11-12-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 7137550)
I honestly thought Krispy Kreme was completely out of business.

:spock:

Dayze 11-12-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbymitch (Post 7148843)
I am personally pleased to see that our veterans are given some measure of thanks for their service to the country.

I remember the days of being despised while in uniform and how dangerous it was being out in public, especially in California. We pretty much had to change in civies at a locker club for some sense of normality off the base. Hell, I was treated better by the elder Japanese than I was in Long Beach.

Of all the countries that I have been to, the only one still truly grateful for US soldiers/sailors was Australia. One couldn't buy a beer there; someone always stepped in and paid.

That. Australia was awesome.