ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Not a Humblebrag, but interesting thing just happened... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274200)

Chief Roundup 07-01-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9785675)
I guess I could. I just assume they can't give out that info, especially involving a minor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9785676)
If you know what station the cops were from, you can go down there and tell them who you are. They might be willing to give you some answers.

If nothing else they could take your contact information and relay it to the parents or guardian of the child.

Chief Roundup 07-01-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9785830)
And this is the singular reason that many people choose not to get involved. It's not because they don't care, it's because you don't know what crazy idiot is going to make shit up and try to sue you because you were trying to do the right thing!:shake:

Glad you do the work you do, it's not for everyone it requires great patience and the ability to try to help those who may never have the ability to thank you for what you do.:clap:

It is sad but there definitely is truth in the statement of "No good deed goes unpunished".

InChiefsHeaven 07-01-2013 09:49 AM

I tried to do the right thing a few years ago. Delivering pizzas, I saw some kid just bite it on his bike. Pulled over, offered to help...but I was a strange man in a car...so I got out of the car and approached...and realized with every step and every word I was just scaring the shit out of these kids. I didn't want to leave him there crying, and one of his friends went to grab the kid's parents. When dad finally showed up, he didn't even notice my existence, barely nodded at me when I tried to explain what I saw.

It was weird, and really made me realize why many people DON'T get involved when they see stuff like that.

Good on you. You had the tools and knowledge to take care of the situation. Kudos.

Sully 07-01-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9786039)
I tried to do the right thing a few years ago. Delivering pizzas, I saw some kid just bite it on his bike. Pulled over, offered to help...but I was a strange man in a car...so I got out of the car and approached...and realized with every step and every word I was just scaring the shit out of these kids. I didn't want to leave him there crying, and one of his friends went to grab the kid's parents. When dad finally showed up, he didn't even notice my existence, barely nodded at me when I tried to explain what I saw.

It was weird, and really made me realize why many people DON'T get involved when they see stuff like that.

Good on you. You had the tools and knowledge to take care of the situation. Kudos.

I was definitely concerned when I stepped in to restrain that it would look like I was somehow attacking this girl, so I made sure to, loudly, say who I was and what my training was, and basically play-by-play my every movement;
"I'm sitting in the ground with her. I'm grabbing her left wrist with my right hand, and folding it under her arm so she can't hit or bite. This is called a CPI child protective hold," etc...
All the while trying to calmly talk to the girl and let her know I wasn't trying to hurt her, although she wasn't in a reasonable place internally, so there was no reasoning with her.
When the first police officer for there and walked up, I let go of one arm, thinking he'd take over, but he just looked at me and said, "If you've got her, I just want you to stay there while I figure out..."
So at the very least I knew he didn't think I was doing anything wrong.

Sully 07-01-2013 10:06 AM

After that my only real worry was that there was a crowd, and my car was 50 yards away with my daughter in it. I never lost sight of it, and traffic be damned, if someone headed toward my car I'd have let go of this girl immediately.
Twice I asked people to go check on my daughter and tell her daddy would be right over.
Turns out she had unbuckled herself and was watching the whole time... So she had TONS of questions.
Leading me to realize how difficult it is to explain LD to a 4-year old without demeaning another person.