ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Fruit Juice....just as bad for you as soda. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281443)

J Diddy 02-12-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 10430663)
So what you are telling me is that if I intake more calories then I output then I get fat right? Thanks for the science there guys. JFC

You might be BigDick but I am Dick Bull.

Brock 02-12-2014 10:24 PM

Fatasses who sit on their fat asses all day are fat because of sugar and fruit juice. /kooks

Buck 02-12-2014 11:28 PM

Did they test purple drink?

Miles 02-12-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10430521)
I've probably had every variety of Tazo, Itoen and Honest out there. At least every one offered at Whole Foods, that Organic Store off 470/291 and 70, or that occasionally makes it to Big Lots. Don't have a strong memory of Tazo's mint. I do like Honest Tea's First Nation Mint, though.

If I had to pick a favorite, it'd probably Itoen's toasted green tea, called Oi Ocha. It's so definitely tea, but the toasting of the tea leaves makes it different from any other tea you might get.

http://images.iherb.com/l/ITO-00139-3.jpg

There is some form of bottled Itoen at Costo. I buy their green tea bags there (branded as Kirkland) and make it hot or iced at work all the time.

BigRichard 02-13-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10430702)
You might be BigDick but I am Dick Bull.

:LOL:

Jimmya 02-13-2014 05:43 AM

Fat people love them some sugar!

ReynardMuldrake 02-13-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10430670)

Key word: EXCESS calorie consumption.

This demonization of food and certain food groups is abso****inglutely OUT OF CONTROL.

I'll post this again, simply because it needs to be read. Even though it's mainly focused on HFCS, there's a lot of good info about other sugars and carbohydrates, as well.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/6/1716S.full

There is room in a person's diet for anything they want to have, whether that's soda, ice cream, fruit juice, pixie sticks or orange marmalade. It's all about portion control and understanding how these foods fit in to the larger picture of one's diet. I have serious issues with how this article/thread is worded because it assumes that soda is inherently bad for you and if fruit juice is as bad as soda, then it's inherently bad, too. That's just not true.

Overconsumption is bad. That's the devil. It's not the X food/drink.

The idea that all calories are created equal is not true. You don't get type 2 diabetes from eating too much steak.

Different types of calories are metabolized differently. Sugar intake impacts your blood sugar, given enough time can cause insulin resistance, which is the fast track to obesity. Limiting the proportion of your sugar and carb intake absolutely has an effect on your health, even with calories being equal.

WhiteWhale 02-13-2014 07:30 AM

BAN FRUIT JUICE!

Frankly the headline is dangerously misleading. Fruit juice is not an acid that eats away at your bones and imbalances the Ph of your entire body. Just because it has a lot of sugar does NOT mean it's 'just as bad for you' as flavored battery acid.

The 'study' gives no outlines of any controls done... was this thing funded by Pepsi?

Eleazar 02-13-2014 07:32 AM

Obviously, nobody should drink copious amounts of sugar, but the thread title is really an obscene generalization. Soda has no redeeming qualities, while fruit juice has many beneficial ingredients.

Just Passin' By 02-13-2014 07:40 AM

If you look hard enough, at some point you'll find that everything is bad for you. Drinking too much water can be fatal, for crying out loud.

Jimmya 02-13-2014 07:53 AM

True...to much of anything is bad for you.

Fish 02-13-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 10431023)
The idea that all calories are created equal is not true. You don't get type 2 diabetes from eating too much steak.

Different types of calories are metabolized differently. Sugar intake impacts your blood sugar, given enough time can cause insulin resistance, which is the fast track to obesity. Limiting the proportion of your sugar and carb intake absolutely has an effect on your health, even with calories being equal.

There's really no such thing as different types of calories. A calorie is a unit of energy. 4.2 kjoules. Specifically, the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. That never changes.

You can get calories from different things, like carbs, proteins, fat, etc. And each of those have different levels of Calories per gram, and the body uses each differently.

But there aren't different types of calories. The "Calories in, Calories out" is a really simplified expression that is far from accurate because of how the body gets Calories from different things. But it's not an unreasonable guide to follow if your diet is balanced. If you want real accuracy and understanding you'd have to look well beyond simple Calorie in, Calorie out. But it's still a decent starting point to keep a rough idea of your intake.

Silock 02-13-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 10431023)

No one said all macronutrients are the same. I don't think you read and understand the point I was making.

Some of you clearly don't read the part about excess calories. I even capitalized the keyword.

Also, while the insulin response of steak isn't as high as sugary foods, it does create quite a response. It's big enough that you could become insulin resistant if it were possible to eat enough steak to do so. Insulin is a storage hormone for many nutrients, not just carbohydrates.

Silock 02-13-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10431152)
There's really no such thing as different types of calories. A calorie is a unit of energy. 4.2 kjoules. Specifically, the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. That never changes.

You can get calories from different things, like carbs, proteins, fat, etc. And each of those have different levels of Calories per gram, and the body uses each differently.

But there aren't different types of calories. The "Calories in, Calories out" is a really simplified expression that is far from accurate because of how the body gets Calories from different things. But it's not an unreasonable guide to follow if your diet is balanced. If you want real accuracy and understanding you'd have to look well beyond simple Calorie in, Calorie out. But it's still a decent starting point to keep a rough idea of your intake.

The thing that people miss in the calories in and out debate is that as long as you aren't over your calorie expenditure in terms of what you take in, a normal person can eat anything they want and not worry about weight or insulin resistance or any of that stuff.

Sannyasi 02-13-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 10430884)
There is some form of bottled Itoen at Costo. I buy their green tea bags there (branded as Kirkland) and make it hot or iced at work all the time.

I've never tried the Kirkland because we don't have a Costco near me unfortunately. Instead I usually order Yamamotoyama green tea off of Amazon, tastes great and you can get 90 tea bags for $17. Definitely beats Bigelow or the other store brands I can get around here.