ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books More Police nonsense. Father arrested for Speaking Against Sexually Explicit Book (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283464)

NewChief 05-07-2014 12:20 PM

As a teacher, I'd be hesitant to assign a book with that content as required reading unless it had overwhelming and necessary educational merit, which I can tell you that nothing by Jodi Picoult does.

That being said, I wouldn't doubt if the dad's behavior in the meeting is being minimized.

NewChief 05-07-2014 12:23 PM

My dad had a big sack of books one of his buddies had given him that had erotic passages in them. That was my spank bank from about 12.

Holladay 05-07-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

"Dear Penthouse"....
Beat me to it.

BTW, For those that are OK with this, saying they are thinking/reading/talking about it anyway. How would you feel if the school REQUIRED the reading of Penthouse Letters. They are about the same. In the 9th grade I was reading them as well. But required by the school??

The required part bothers me because it seems to condone underage and violent sex.

Mr. Plow 05-07-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 10607290)
Beat me to it.

BTW, For those that are OK with this, saying they are thinking/reading/talking about it anyway. How would you feel if the school REQUIRED the reading of Penthouse Letters. They are about the same. In the 9th grade I was reading them as well. But required by the school??

The required part bothers me because it seems to condone underage and violent sex.

The school at the very least should get permission from the parents that their kid is about to read a book like this at that age. I'm assuming this book was just a yearly required reading for the class and nobody before had taken the time to really read through what the book involved.

Fishpicker 05-07-2014 12:47 PM

'Youssef opened the book and came across page 313'...

yech

KC native 05-07-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10607062)
I can't roll my eyes hard enough at every person involved in this story.

Overprotective dad.

Teacher should have known better.

Principal should have handled immediately.

School board should have never had father removed.

Cop should have laughed in their face when they wanted him arrested.

But most importantly...

That writer should be ashamed for writing about hot sticky cum on the carpet. Doesn't move the story forward and is completely pointless. Needlessly graphic and takes you out of the scene. I'm not offended as a parent. I'm offended as a writer. Pure shock value. Stupid.

Exactly

ToxSocks 05-07-2014 12:49 PM

What is the point of the book exactly? Why would something like this be considered required literature?

I agree, most 14 year olds are going to be familiar with "Hot Sticky Cum", i'm just curious as to why something like this would be required?

Whatever happened to the good ol' "Controversial" books like "Catcher in the Rye"?

KC native 05-07-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10607069)
You're out of your ****ing mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 10607078)
Over protective? You would allow your 9th grade daughter (hypothetical if need be) to read that?

Yes, over protective.

A lot of kids are sexually active by 9th grade (and if they have cell phones or internet access, they've already seen worse at that point).

WhawhaWhat 05-07-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10607324)
What is the point of the book exactly? Why would something like this be considered required literature?

I agree, most 14 year olds are going to be familiar with "Hot Sticky Cum", i'm just curious as to why something like this would be required?

Whatever happened to the good ol' "Controversial" books like "Catcher in the Rye"?

From Amazon...

Quote:

Peter Houghton, an alienated teen who has been bullied for years by the popular crowd, brings weapons to his high school in Sterling, N.H., one day and opens fire, killing 10 people. Flashbacks reveal how bullying caused Peter to retreat into a world of violent computer games. Alex Cormier, the judge assigned to Peter's case, tries to maintain her objectivity as she struggles to understand her daughter, Josie, one of the surviving witnesses of the shooting.

ToxSocks 05-07-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10607341)
From Amazon...

Eh.

Catcher in the Rye. Stick with the classics.

mr. tegu 05-07-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10607325)
Yes, over protective.

A lot of kids are sexually active by 9th grade (and if they have cell phones or internet access, they've already seen worse at that point).

Just because one kid has a ton of experience and knowledge doesn't mean the other kid does so making something such as this required reading without consent is not appropriate and does not constitute someone as automatically being overprotective if they wouldn't allow it.

DaveNull 05-07-2014 01:02 PM

I support the jailing of book banners on principle.

KC native 05-07-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10607345)
Just because one kid has a ton of experience and knowledge doesn't mean the other kid does so making something such as this required reading without consent is not appropriate and does not constitute someone as automatically being overprotective if they wouldn't allow it.

We're talking about 14-15 year olds here. I started getting blow jobs at that point and I wasn't even close to being the only one.

If we were talking about 8th grade, then I'd be inclined to agree a little more (although not sure if I would completely agree).

With the spread of internet access and kids knowing how to circumvent just about any type of filter, it's ridiculous that someone would make an issue out of this book.

Also, American attitudes about sex in general are very prudish and ridiculous.

DaveNull 05-07-2014 01:06 PM

Better to take it to the school board than take it as an opportunity to talk about issues of underage drinking and pre-marital sex with your actual kid though.

mr. tegu 05-07-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10607351)
We're talking about 14-15 year olds here. I started getting blow jobs at that point and I wasn't even close to being the only one.

If we were talking about 8th grade, then I'd be inclined to agree a little more (although not sure if I would completely agree).

With the spread of internet access and kids knowing how to circumvent just about any type of filter, it's ridiculous that someone would make an issue out of this book.

Also, American attitudes about sex in general are very prudish and ridiculous.

The physical age is not what matters when talking about experience and knowledge related to this subject. Again, the experiences and knowledge of some students, whatever number that is, does not mean that the material is appropriate for all of them, especially without the parents consent.