ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need recommendations for a new TV show to watch (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286031)

MTG#10 08-29-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10860401)
You might try Rectify. First season is on netflix. It's gotten a lot of critical hype but not much popularity. A good friend of mine is one of the writers.

BSG is solid and don't let fact that it's scifi dissuade you.

Noted.

So far my list of shows to try in order are:

BSG
Rectify
An Idiot Abroad
Rescue Me
Suits
Psyche

Ive checked out every suggestion but so far those are the ones that interest me the most. Thanks again guys.

cosmo20002 08-29-2014 04:36 PM

The Following

MTG#10 08-29-2014 04:51 PM

Is The Following the one with Kevin Bacon? If so I couldnt get into it.

Love 24 but damn that show stresses me out.

Baby Lee 08-29-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10860788)
Noted.

So far my list of shows to try in order are:

BSG
Rectify
An Idiot Abroad
Rescue Me
Suits
Psyche

Ive checked out every suggestion but so far those are the ones that interest me the most. Thanks again guys.

What are you in the mood for

BSG - sweeping plot, allegory on Iraq war
Rectify - moody and slow moving, but in a contemplative way
An Idiot Abroad - diverse wide ranging and a lot you haven't seen before on our planet, or haven't seen in quite the way you do here
Rescue Me - all sorts of tones that usually add up well. Frat humor of a station house, dramatic family drama, angry, wistful, herioc
Suits - high stakes legal drama, but isn't a case of the week type of show so much as a power and information struggle in a firm.
Psyche - light, almost silly but usually funny, think The Mentalist as a burnout Gen-Xer who is obsessed with pop culture and lives to joke with and on his buttoned up buddy since childhood teaming up to outwit the traditional police [ie, hide that his Sherlock by the seat of his pants skills are psychic eminations] and in the process help them clear cases.

If you want lighter fare

Psyche, An Idiot Abroad, Rescue Me and Suits in that order.

Is you want heavier fare
BSG and Rectify in that order.

MTG#10 08-29-2014 05:02 PM

I dont really try shows based on moods, just whether or not I think I'll like them.

I watched the first episode of The Blacklist last night, good acting but seemed really far-fetched and overdone. I'll give episode 2 a shot though. There's not many network shows I enjoy for this reason. 90% of my favorite shows are cable shows.

Baby Lee 08-29-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10860879)
I dont really try shows based on moods, just whether or not I think I'll like them.

I watched the first episode of The Blacklist last night, good acting but seemed really far-fetched and overdone. I'll give episode 2 a shot though. There's not many network shows I enjoy for this reason. 90% of my favorite shows are cable shows.

I watch shows with a wide array of moods, but what I watch in the moment depends on what I'm in the mood for then.

For instance, I would rarely watch say Psyche with a fresh GoT on tap, but I might AIA. Psyche is silly, while AIA is funny and beautiful and informative.

If I'm tired I might not watch Suits because I'd have to remember the double crosses and double-double crosses. But if I'm alert that kind of intrigue would be right up my alley.

Sitting down on a particular night you'd never have a preference between GoT, Bates Motel and Shameless

Also, the Suits thing reminded me. Scandal might be one you like, soapy, but flawlessly scripted and acted. Well flawless is debatable because it stretches credibility on some of it's plotting, but is damn gripping political intrigue.

Bwana 08-29-2014 05:23 PM

Mountain Men
Bering Sea Gold
Gold Rush Alaska

All solid shows.

MTG#10 08-29-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10860905)
Sitting down on a particular night you'd never have a preference between GoT, Bates Motel and Shameless

If I had all three ready to watch I'd watch them in order from least liked to most, I always save the best for last. So it'd be Bates, Shameless, then GoT. :thumb:

SAUTO 08-29-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10860932)
Mountain Men
Bering Sea Gold
Gold Rush Alaska

All solid shows.

I watch all of them lol.

Under the ice is great too . Crazy mothers. New episodes tonight I think
Posted via Mobile Device

listopencil 08-29-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10859514)
It can get a little formulaic, and the 'races' that so often end the same can be tedious at times, so I prefer episodes stretched out. But then there are bits like this.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QQh56geU0X8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Yes. That is one of my favorite bits of TV ever.

GloucesterChief 08-29-2014 07:40 PM

The Destroying a Hilux is the best bit that Top Gear has done in my opinion.

Anyway, British shows I enjoyed:

Dr. Who
Top Gear
Luther
Blackadder
Yes Minister
A Bit of Fry and Laurie
That Mitchell and Webb Look

OldSchool 08-29-2014 08:18 PM

Did you ever watch Dexter?

MTG#10 08-30-2014 10:57 AM

Yeah its on my list in the OP...it was a great show that went two seasons too long. And the ending was terrible.

Rausch 08-30-2014 11:00 AM

FRINGE.

Starts very slow in season 1 but gains steam.
(Positive: all eps available on netflix and hulu.)

Bwana 08-30-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10861132)
I watch all of them lol.

Under the ice is great too . Crazy mothers. New episodes tonight I think
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, everyone on that entire show is a little off. I think you would have to be to be doing that stuff. The Kelly boys crack me up. It's like they brought them up from the back hills of Arkansas and dropped them off on the ice sheet to gain maximum hillbilly effect.