ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Florida building collapse (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338830)

Pitt Gorilla 06-24-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 15720180)
The inspections were underway but hadn't been completed. But researchers have known, since the 90s, the building has been sinking.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...UP0?li=BBnb7Kz

This. The building has been sinking for over 20 years. Not sure this is surprising at all.

FloridaMan88 06-24-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15720214)
That's no good.

I bet some of the missing will turn out to be people who were elsewhere on vacation or something, but the fact that this happened at 1:30 am doesn't bode well. That's probably a time of maximum occupancy.

Some of the residents are probably seasonal/snowbirds who likely would not be there this time of year so that might be a positive.

srvy 06-24-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15720155)
I heard on the news over lunch that the building had undergone a routine city building inspection YESTERDAY and passed.

Also major work to the roof was being done was reported. So some poor tar roofers are going to be blamed.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-24-2021 03:02 PM

Happens to me all the time!

Mama Hip Rockets 06-24-2021 03:03 PM

Watching on the news now. This is horrible.

srvy 06-24-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 15720157)
Hmm...very suspicious. I bet if we looked deep enough we'd find that China is at the bottom of this.

Could you imagine the size of the poodle you'd need to bluff your way out of that thing?

I think this is in India. Its such a perfect opening that looks man-made. Like a Jules Vern center of the earth novel.

Easy 6 06-24-2021 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 15720180)
The inspections were underway but hadn't been completed. But researchers have known, since the 90s, the building has been sinking.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...UP0?li=BBnb7Kz

Wow, unthinkable that people were still allowed to live there

Some people are gonna be sued into oblivion

srvy 06-24-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15720305)
Wow, unthinkable that people were still allowed to live there

Some people are gonna be sued into oblivion

They all move and crack to some degree in a sandy loamy soil. That they are monitoring it means it's being investigated by a structural engineer who should be able to advise if it's dangerous. We do these monitors on condo towers and highrise hotels on the plaza. Run in baselines to make a measurement to structural columns to check plumb in the basement levels also check walls for plumb. Grid out basement floors every 5 feet and get elevations. Its routine maintenance for towers. There are also settlement plates in lock boxes around the properties with a stainless steel rod driven to the bedrock elevations are routinely monitored. This is not out of the ordinary the news see's something in the maintenance inspections and reports not knowing anything about what they are seeing.

This building has been settling 2 mm a year for quite some time according to news reports. I'm not a structural engineer I don't think its abnormal as it passed inspection from a structural engineer.

srvy 06-24-2021 04:09 PM

We are going to have to wait for the report from federal investigators they will get to the bottom of this. They always do.

eDave 06-24-2021 04:12 PM

Footage of rescue workers under the building is unnerving.

Easy 6 06-24-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15720382)
They all move and crack to some degree in a sandy loamy soil. That they are monitoring it means it's being investigated by a structural engineer who should be able to advise if it's dangerous. We do these monitors on condo towers and highrise hotels on the plaza. Run in baselines to make a measurement to structural columns to check plumb in the basement levels also check walls for plumb. Grid out basement floors every 5 feet and get elevations. Its routine maintenance for towers. There are also settlement plates in lock boxes around the properties with a stainless steel rod driven to the bedrock elevations are routinely monitored. This is not out of the ordinary the news see's something in the maintenance inspections and reports not knowing anything about what they are seeing.

This building has been settling 2 mm a year for quite some time according to news reports. I'm not a structural engineer I don't think its abnormal as it passed inspection from a structural engineer.

Good info from someone who clearly knows a thing or two about it

Chief Roundup 06-24-2021 05:22 PM

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-new...-bomb-24361557

Quote:

The explosion caused a 3.9 magnitude earthquake about 100 miles away in Daytona Beach, Florida, a phenomenon which is not unusual during similar trials.
Probably too far but :hmmm:

Rausch 06-24-2021 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15720387)
They always do.

:spock:

The final ruling by congressional hearing will be that the building killed itself...

Marcellus 06-24-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15720155)
I heard on the news over lunch that the building had undergone a routine city building inspection YESTERDAY and passed.

Great example of why people are insane to want any level of government to have more power and control in their lives.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06-24-2021 06:28 PM

So there were cracks in swimming pools and other parts of the buildings during inspections dating back 20 years but they never did anything about it…… THATS negligence homicide. People are going to jail and this will be the biggest lawsuit in Florida history.