ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs FO and Coaching Staff Have Derailed This Season (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=340263)

JakeF 10-13-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 15892123)
We have an elite head coach

Really?

How many times do we not seem ready to play? How many cutesy plays kills us? Can a coach be elite when they ignore 2/3rds of the team? This team lacks discipline, focus, intensity an awful lot for having an elite coach. A lot of issues.

Are you sure we don't just have an elite offensive coordinator?

Stryker 10-13-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 15892612)
Good notes for sure. Missing McKinney, Dugger, Winfield, and Delpit at S, most of which are looking like solid picks but we can agree the Chiefs didn't appear to have a major need at S and especially not in round 1.

The player they probably should have grabbed there was a WR. Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr, Chase Claypool, take your pick. The writing was on the wall with Sammy and any of those was the absolute perfect fit as an X replacement. Higgins was particularly dubbed a 1st round prospect and would look pretty good here.

Absolutely THIS! I could not agree more.

mschiefs1984 10-13-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 15892710)
Really?

How many times do we not seem ready to play? How many cutesy plays kills us? Can a coach be elite when they ignore 2/3rds of the team? This team lacks discipline, focus, intensity an awful lot for having an elite coach. A lot of issues.

You don't win as he has without being Elite

That being said I think it's becoming clear that he is past his prime. There is no way this team should be on the bottom of the standings.

Also maybe we are seeing part of the reason EB hasn't landed a HC job yet

Stryker 10-13-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 15892157)
Here's the thing about using the CEH pick for a stud defender. These are the non-safety (we had to be set with Thornhill and Mathieu at the time) defenders chosen between CEH and Willie Gay Jr.:

DE - Yetur Akkub Gross-Matos: 14 solo tackles and 3 sacks in his career so far. PFF grade 55-58.

DT - Ross Blacklock: stats are hard to measure on DTs, but his PFF grade for 2020 was 30.2. Looks like he's doing better so far in 2021.

DE - Marlon Davidson: 7 tackles, 1 sack in career. PFF grade around 60.

DE - Darrell Taylor: zero production in 2020, but is kicking ass in 2021 - 4 sacks, PFF grade 71.5

CB - Jaylon Johnson: PFF grade of 55 last year, looking better this year at 74.

CB - Trevon Diggs: there's your diamond, 9 INTs in career so far, but lol PFF only has him at 62/67.

DT - Raekwon Davis: PFF 71 last year but 28 so far this year

OLB - Josh Uche: PFF 78/61

For comparison, Derek Nnadi had a grade of 75 last year, Ward had 65.

They probably didn't have an idea about Jones moving to DE yet. So they would probably have felt set at DT. Also if they liked Gay Jr. they might not go for LB. So it seems like DE and CB would be most likely.

Taylor was injured so that's a one year wait. The other two DEs have been kinda meh but would still be an upgrade to what we have now.

Trevon Diggs definitely looks like the guy we should have gone for.

CB - Trevon Diggs: there's your diamond, 9 INTs in career so far, but lol PFF only has him at 62/67. Who woulda thunk? WOW!

Marcellus 10-13-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschiefs1984 (Post 15892762)
You don't win as he has without being Elite

That being said I think it's becoming clear that he is past his prime. There is no way this team should be on the bottom of the standings.

Also maybe we are seeing part of the reason EB hasn't landed a HC job yet

Past his prime 5 games after being in the SB in back to back seasons and the AFCCG the previous 3.

TwistedChief 10-13-2021 07:48 PM

There's not a single original thought in his article. Cookie cutter af.

BossChief 10-13-2021 09:38 PM

You know what’s derailed the early part of the season?

Being -7 in the turnover battle.

If we stop shooting ourselves in the foot, things immediately turn around and we resume winning.

Prison Bitch 10-13-2021 09:45 PM

Mizzery fans are always in love
With shitty Tigers we draft, Bolton being the latest . It never fails

CoMoChief 10-14-2021 12:06 AM

I dont like how the Chiefs ignored the DE and CB positions in the offseason.

The Chris Jones DE experiment is currently failing.

I mean....Mike "fucking" Dana leads this team in sacks.

Lots of resources spent on the DL and they can't get to the QB.

The sad and honest truth is....the Chiefs don't do anything well. It's one thing to maybe lean on something you do well and run with that but the Chiefs can't even do that.

Titty Meat 10-14-2021 12:17 AM

Quote:

Really?

Top poster

Titty Meat 10-14-2021 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15892907)
You know what’s derailed the early part of the season?

Being -7 in the turnover battle.

If we stop shooting ourselves in the foot, things immediately turn around and we resume winning.

How many turnovers has our defense gotten? I agree with you to an extent but this is a historically bad defense. The offense goes into the game almost knowing 30 points might not be enough naturally they are going to press.

BossChief 10-14-2021 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 15892996)
How many turnovers has our defense gotten? I agree with you to an extent but this is a historically bad defense. The offense goes into the game almost knowing 30 points might not be enough naturally they are going to press.

Veach needs to sit down with Tyrann and find a way to energize him. He’s the obvious leader of the defense and him not playing spirited football is hurting this defense both directly and indirectly.

We can all talk in circles about the reasons why the defense has taken a step back -and there are lots of reasons- but none more important than not having him breathing fire everywhere and constantly rallying the troops.

These guys are jogging through plays.

bringbackmarty 10-14-2021 01:26 AM

Our defense is so bad, it's the opposite of oatmeal, it's bad for our hearts. If our defense was a bowl of oatmeal it would be good for something, our defense is good for nothing. Different strokes for that which is brokes.

TEX 10-14-2021 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15893001)
Veach needs to sit down with Tyrann and find a way to energize him. He’s the obvious leader of the defense and him not playing spirited football is hurting this defense both directly and indirectly.

We can all talk in circles about the reasons why the defense has taken a step back -and there are lots of reasons- but none more important than not having him breathing fire everywhere and constantly rallying the troops.

These guys are jogging through plays.

Tyrann is a money first guy. He's as much a leader as he is a social media deva. The only thing that will "energize' him will be the contract he wants. The difference with him, as opposed to a some other guys who were paid, is that Tyrann will play hard after he gets it. Having said that, I would still not pay the guy the kind of money he wants. Don't want tons of dollars tied up at Safety. In fact, this off season I'd look to get rid of all the big contract guys who are under performing and would also consider trading Jones. Not advocating that, but I'd see what I could get for him. If they do decide to keep him, then move him the **** back to DT where he has proven to be an elite talent. They need to completely overhaul the defense. That includes replacing Spags if he can't get this defense respectable. I would not saddle the new DC with big contracts guys who must play because of dollars. With our offense, the defense just needs to be average. That can be achieved in one off season.

For the remainder of this season, I'd move CJ back to DT and bench guys who are playing like shit. Spare nobody in that category. I'd try to generate a pass rush, in some way, and be very aggressive and see if I could create turnovers and make shit happen. I'd look at Spags like he is coaching to save his job. See if he can come up with something to change where the defense is now. The talent is not there to keep doing what he is doing by keeping the same players doing the same things.

chiefzilla1501 10-14-2021 05:55 AM

Quote:

Really?

A guy who doesn't prepare his team isn't going to win 75% of his games as consistently as Andy Reid does. Our record in September before this year is absurdly good. So is Reid's record after a bye week. You don't do these things unless you really understand preparation. Andy Reid is an offense genius but cmon, we've seen plenty of coaches just as smart as Reid be dogshit at running a team. Reid is a terrific motivator, he knows how to prepare for a week, and he's one of the most hands on coaches in terms of telling players how to do things better. He isn't just elite, he's one of the best of all time.

We are spoiled of we're going to gripe about Reid not being perfect on terms of preparing players.

That being said if we're talking about this season, I do wonder if he's pretty distracted with the whole Britt Reid thing and I couldn't blame him.