ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy, please let Mahomes be Mahomes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=340684)

IowaHawkeyeChief 11-07-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941729)
Coach Pete: NEVER GO FOR THE BIG PLAY, IT MIGHT FALL INCOMPLETE.

IN ALEXIAN PASSING, WE SHALL OVERCOME.

You are clueless. They are taking anything deep away and the few opportunities where we have had receivers open deep Mahomes has missed them. These are the facts. We love Mahomes, wouldn't trade him for anyone, but realize he is in a funk. The last drive was great, I hope we see more of that going forward.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941719)
So you prefer big numbers over the W.

Gotcha.

KYS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941729)
Coach Pete: NEVER GO FOR THE BIG PLAY, IT MIGHT FALL INCOMPLETE.

IN ALEXIAN PASSING, WE SHALL OVERCOME.

http://glassalmanac.com/wp-content/u...son-glass1.png

dirk digler 11-07-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941720)
No it isn't. And we have seen him move outside the pocket several times the last few games and blah.

Pat's problem is he wants to hit the big play and when it isn't there he panics. Seriously. Had he checked down quickly durning the Bills game we might win.

Same with the Titans. The last 2 games he came out hitting the short game and running the ball then went away from it. Both games started good and went to shit, even though we squeaked out wins.

I forgot who it was, it was one of the national talking heads last week that said Patrick is trying to erase the wonky record and wonky start in one play.

We saw it again today where he insisted on not going to a wide open Kelce for a 1st down and trying to hit the big plays that just led to punts.

I don't remember him getting out of the pocket except on the last play but the box score says he had 2 rushes for -2 yds. Don't remember any of that. He didn't run like he normally does though.

No doubt he gets inpatient and wants the big plays. That is who he is though and you don't want to stop that aggressive mindset, just need it tamed. Just like him staying in the pocket like Brady isn't who he is either.

Chiefspants 11-07-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 15941728)
Cannot play backyard ball forever. Gotta learn for long term career..

This forum forgets that many posters were very concerned at the end of 2019 because Patrick’s outside the pocket passing had fallen to league average and despite us ending the year on a winning streak, Mahomes looked very “Alex Smithian.” I’m guessing people have forgotten this because of the super heroic things Mahomes did to win against the Texans (though he largely beat the Titans and 49ers from the pocket).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...s-skills-have/

He’s won as a “pocket QB” before. Hell, he won the Super Bowl as a pocket QB. People just latch onto a narrative and roll with it.

He’s going through a bad slump. Similar to what all QB’s have done before, elite ones too, and I’m sure Elway did as well.

-King- 11-07-2021 08:22 PM

Saying a QB can't be good as a pocket passer isn't a good thing guys.

The fact that you guys are throwing it out there as a defense for Mahomes is mind blowing.

I'd rather think he's in a slump than think he's limited or basically needs a specific playing style to be even mediocre.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 15941738)
I don't remember him getting out of the pocket except on the last play but the box score says he had 2 rushes for -2 yds. Don't remember any of that. He didn't run like he normally does though.

No doubt he gets inpatient and wants the big plays. That is who he is though and you don't want to stop that aggressive mindset, just need it tamed. Just like him staying in the pocket like Brady isn't who he is either.

We have scored 36 points in the last 3 games......but there is nothing wrong with Mahomes....

tk13 11-07-2021 08:24 PM

To be fair, they made some attempts at big plays today. Mahomes had Tyreek deep on that one drive where they started deep in their end. It should have been a 90 yard TD. Just overthrew him. Teams are playing much safer defense, as we all know... but the Packers took some chances today and we had openings. Offense just didn't hit them.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 15941748)
To be fair, they made some attempts at big plays today. Mahomes had Tyreek deep on that one drive where they started deep in their end. It should have been a 90 yard TD. Just overthrew him. Teams are playing much safer defense, as we all know... but the Packers took some chances today and we had openings. Offense just didn't hit them.

Since the deep play to DRob against Washington, has he been even close on a deep play since then?

Chiefspants 11-07-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941745)
We have scored 36 points in the last 3 games......but there is nothing wrong with Mahomes....

Believe it or not, there is a lot of middle ground between “Nothing is wrong with Mahomes” and “Mahomes needs to learn how to play as an NFL QB.”

dirk digler 11-07-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15941744)
Saying a QB can't be good as a pocket passer isn't a good thing guys.

The fact that you guys are throwing it out there as a defense for Mahomes is mind blowing.

I'd rather think he's in a slump than think he's limited or basically needs a specific playing style to be even mediocre.

I am not saying that at all. We need a mix. That is when he is lethal..

Garcia Bronco 11-07-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15941740)
This forum forgets that many posters were very concerned at the end of 2019 because Patrick’s outside the pocket passing had fallen to league average and despite us ending the year on a winning streak, Mahomes looked very “Alex Smithian.” I’m guessing people have forgotten this because of the super heroic things Mahomes did to win against the Texans (though he largely beat the Titans and 49ers from the pocket).

He’s won as a “pocket QB” before. Hell, he won the Super Bowl as a pocket QB. People just latch onto a narrative and roll with it.

He’s going through a bad slump. Similar to what all QB’s have done before, elite ones too, and I’m sure Elway did as well.

He's missing reads, not throwing from a solid platform, he's lost some talent among his peers, he's making bad decisions. It's all fixable stuff. He just needs to adjust.

Bearcat 11-07-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15941740)

He’s won as a “pocket QB” before. Hell, he won the Super Bowl as a pocket QB. People just latch onto a narrative.

Yep... at best, it's an exaggerated narrative, like he was a complete gunslinger/scrambler before... and at worst, it's just dumb.

dirk digler 11-07-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941745)

Where in my post do I say nothing is wrong? Obviously something is wrong and we don't have any answers.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15941757)
Believe it or not, there is a lot of middle ground between “Nothing is wrong with Mahomes” and “Mahomes needs to learn how to play as an NFL QB.”

Well we are going to see if Mahomes is a legit NFL QB or a flash in the pan gimmick.

I would think the former but if he can't make the adjustment then it is not good.

RaidersOftheCellar 11-07-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941613)
Patrick is going to have to learn how to be a QB now. He got away the last 3 seasons playing backyard football. Teams have adjusted defensively. They are not letting guys run deep and forcing Mahomes to make reads and go through his progressions.

If he can't adjust he is done. It's that simple. I think he can do it but he has yet to show it. He keeps trying to make the big play instead of just taking what the defense gives.

Hasn’t shown he can do it? Didn’t he show it for the first month of the season? They were moving the ball exceptionally well with very few big plays.

The narrative may have been a lot different today if not for two dropped passes on third down and Hill’s slip.