ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bills/ Bengals [cancelled - process in OP] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=346826)

Hoover 01-03-2023 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 16705721)
If the game (understandably) can’t be played today or tomorrow, then the only option that makes sense to me is to cancel it and not award a victory to either. Win percentage determines seeding, followed by head to head.

It isn’t fair to the Bengals and Bills, but I don’t see an option that would be fair to them and the rest of the league.

I know it sounds callous, but it’s probably best to keep the unfair things limited to as few of teams as possible.

Exactly.

The problem is that it will appear to be rather cruel to the Bills. They fall out of first place, lose a player, and still have to play a tough divisional game next week.

The Bengals lock up the division under this scenario correct, so maybe the Ravens are butt hurt, but hey there team is a mess anyway.

smithandrew051 01-03-2023 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16705731)
The 2 teams involved are the only 2 teams it should affect. It is what it is.

Yeah I agree.

It sounds cold and all, but that’s the only way.

Abba-Dabba 01-03-2023 09:13 AM

Quote:

However the schedule plays out, neither the Bills nor the Bengals should be expected to play again until the appropriate medical professionals believe that the men who were directly affected by last night’s events are able to do so.
Wonder how many employers would allow their employees to take an indefinite amount of time off if one of the coworkers goes down with a heart attack? Try it next time Chuck from IT or Larry from Grounds goes down. See how many days you get.

Not to be insensitive or anything. But aren't these guys football players? Don't they portray themselves as gladiators and warriors? Know what a gladiator and warrior does when the guy next to them goes down? Keeps going.

This isn't even the first time this has happened on the field of play. Some how Hank Gathers dying on the court and what happened after is somehow forgotten. There is no time to reschedule. Extending the whole league a week is a nonstarter. Bills should either accept they need get back on the field by tomorrow or accept the forfeit.

RaidersOftheCellar 01-03-2023 09:14 AM

Apparently the Bills already flew back to Buffalo. I'm guessing it won't be resumed tonight.

They need to figure out a way to complete this game soon. What happened is really unfortunate, but if the exact same thing had happened to him a few days before the game, would anyone be talking about cancelling the game permanently? I highly doubt it.

Red Dawg 01-03-2023 09:14 AM

America is so weak.

luv 01-03-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 16705693)
National championship game is Monday night though.

Tough decision but I think they need to play it tomorrow or the Bills take the L.

I'm sure the games could be aired on networks not airing the National Championship.

smithandrew051 01-03-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 16705734)
Exactly.

The problem is that it will appear to be rather cruel to the Bills. They fall out of first place, lose a player, and still have to play a tough divisional game next week.

The Bengals lock up the division under this scenario correct, so maybe the Ravens are butt hurt, but hey there team is a mess anyway.

It sucks. The whole situation is shit. No way around it.

But this game just isn’t fair sometimes. Seasons get wrecked in week 1 when franchise QBs go down with season ending injuries. Careers get ruined due to freak accidents. It’s not ****ing fair, but every team faces the same or similar risk every week.

RaidersOftheCellar 01-03-2023 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 16705736)
Wonder how many employers would allow their employees to take an indefinite amount of time off if one of the coworkers goes down with a heart attack? Try it next time Chuck from IT or Larry from Grounds goes down. See how many days you get.

Not to be insensitive or anything. But aren't these guys football players? Don't they portray themselves as gladiators and warriors? Know what a gladiator and warrior does when the guy next to them goes down? Keeps going.

This isn't even the first time this has happened on the field of play. Some how Hank Gathers dying on the court and what happened after is somehow forgotten. There is no time to reschedule. Extending the whole league a week is a nonstarter. Bills should either accept they need get back on the field by tomorrow or accept the forfeit.

Yep. I'd say leave it up to the Bills. If they're not up for it within the next few days, they need to forfeit.

Shiver Me Timbers 01-03-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 16705647)
I can have compassion and empathy for the guy in the hospital and still be pissed if they push the entire NFL schedule back one week. I have plane and game tickets in Vegas this weekend and will not be happy if that game is rescheduled.

Right with you Dart. I have already changed my schedule once, due to not realizing the game would be on Saturday. Bought tickets that said Sunday Game. Tickets then came TBA. Meeting friends who fly to Europe the following week.

Hammock Parties 01-03-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 16705740)
It sucks. The whole situation is shit. No way around it.

But this game just isn’t fair sometimes.

This is going to go down with the Music City Miracle and Wide Right in Bills lore.

boilertiger 01-03-2023 09:17 AM

They could just play week 18 out as normal and only resume the Bengals Bills game if needed the following week (pushing back the playoffs). If this happens, its highly likely the game is a dead rubber for Bengals and they will just sit all their starters.

Marcellus 01-03-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 16705736)

I don't want to here these guys compare themselves to soldiers, warriors, or sports being similar to going to war ever again.

I get last night was traumatic, hell I wasn't in the mood to watch football let alone play it afterwards but its time to man up and stop playing victim. This is life, it was an unfortunate accident and the guy is still alive.

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2023 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 16705699)
To me playing tomorrow, and their next games next Monday, seems quite logical.

I 1000000% support not playing yesterday, but what is the argument against tomorrow? Obviously we all hope for Hamlin's recovery, but none of the players or coaches can change that. He'll have his family and a ton of other support there. I'm just not sure what good it does the team sitting at home. And it seems like after the initial shock wears off, of course it's still a tragedy, but life has to go on... especially if we get the best news possible that he's recovering.

1000% this. if they cant / dont want to play it, then they should just concede the L and move on.

CupidStunt 01-03-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16705731)
The 2 teams involved are the only 2 teams it should affect. It is what it is.

Cancelling it effects more teams than just them. If they use win percentage, the Ravens could beat Cincy next week and still not get the division. They need Cincy to play this game and lose.

I understand your point, but that's the whole thing. There's no solution that doesn't effect more than just these 2 teams. That's why I'm quite certain they'll play it. The logistics aren't even that hard. It's just handling the PR and making it a fair and reasonable situation for the players to have to play.

Abba-Dabba 01-03-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar (Post 16705742)
Yep. I'd say leave it up to the Bills. If they're not up for it within the next few days, they need to forfeit.

Absolutely. The show must go on. Just the way it is.