ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What is the main source of conflict in the world? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=97895)

MOhillbilly 09-08-2004 01:51 PM

Lack of ass kicking Rock n' Roll.

Jenson71 09-08-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
Lack of ass kicking Rock n' Roll.

It's close to that, but I would say my #2 reason is too much CGI, or too many comic book movie adaptions.

ROYC75 09-08-2004 01:55 PM

In the beginning, it was Religious intolerance . Since then it both religous and Self-interest - seizure of resources.

jspchief 09-08-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raiderhader
Could you not list most of, if not all of, the options under self interest?

Exactly. It's all self interest, performed in the name of all the other options.

Although deeper, I think it's just human nature.

Slayer Diablo 09-08-2004 02:18 PM

Self-interests are the main source...religion is its scapegoat. It's much easier for someone to say "It's God's will" than "I disagree with _____ so much that I want to kill ______."

Raiderhater 09-08-2004 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
Exactly. It's all self interest, performed in the name of all the other options.

Although deeper, I think it's just human nature.

That is how I see it. It is nothing more than the selfish desires that is inherrent in all of us. Some of us are able to learn to think not only of ourselves but others as well. Some of us aren't.

And there it is.

Fanton 09-08-2004 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT
From what I've seen, the main source of conflict in the world is that people want to control things that they are not entitled to--like other peoples' property, work or opinions.

In other words, globalization. Mad rep for that DanT.

patteeu 09-08-2004 02:56 PM

My choice is disputes over resources. I voted for "economic disparities" and then as the screen was refreshing I noticed that "resources" were referred to in the "self interest" option. That's probably what my vote should have been.

I'd put cultural differences at number 2 but in many cases I think that that's really just how the groups that fight over resources define themselves.

patteeu 09-08-2004 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
WTF a long timer like Rain man leaving off a "Gaz" option? Who wudda thunk it? :hmmm:

If Rain Man says the Gaz option is no longer fashionable, the Gaz option is no longer fashionable. Don't fight fashion, society will ridicule you.

Iowanian 09-08-2004 03:03 PM

Penis Envy.

patteeu 09-08-2004 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
You're the only one making any sense on this thread.

Well I hadn't posted yet when you made this comment, but I intended "women" to be covered by my choice of disputes over resources.

Raiderhater 09-08-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu
If Rain Man says the Gaz option is no longer fashionable, the Gaz option is no longer fashionable. Don't fight fashion, society will ridicule you.

You're telling me that Kevin has toppled the Planet icon that is Gaz? Wow.

I tend to think that the power to build or destroy another poster placed in the hands of one individual is a bit dangerous. Especially if that individual is as eccentric as Kevin......

Of course, how do you stop someone like Kevin from obtaining that power?

Rain Man 09-08-2004 03:13 PM

Here's a list of current world conflicts, according to the Center for Defense Information. (pdf link) They cite the cause(s) in here as well.

http://www.cdi.org/dm/2003/dm1-2003.pdf]http://www.worldpress.org/link.cfm?http://www.cdi.org/dm/2003/dm1-2003.pdf[/url]

MAIN WARRING PARTIES YEAR BEGAN CAUSE(S) OTHER FOREIGN INVOLVEMENT/CONDITIONS

World-Wide War on Terror: U.S. vs. “terrorists with 2001 Sept. 11, 2001 attacks UN, multiple countries
global reach”
MIDDLE EAST
Iraq vs. Desert Storm Coalition (U.S. & U.K.) 1991 Stop WMD development UN economic sanctions
Iraq government (Sunni) vs. Shi’a (Supreme 1991 Religious Iran; U.S. & U.K. (No-fly zone); Kuwait,
Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq) Saudi Arabia, Bahrain (bases)
Iraq vs. Kurds 1961 Independence U.S. (No-fly zone); Turkey (bases)
Israel vs. Hamas and Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad 1975 Religious & Territory UN, U.S., Syria, Lebanon, Iran
and others
Israel vs. Palestinian Authority; Al-Aqsa Intifada 1948-94 Independent state U.S., UN, European Union, Jordan, Egypt
ASIA
Afghanistan: Kabul govt. vs. Taliban and regional 1978 Ethnic, Religious & Territory U.S., UN, NATO allies, Iran, Russia,
warlords Tajikistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan
India vs. Jammu & Kashmir Liberation Front* 1989 Ethnic & Religious UN
India vs. Assam and Manipur insurgents 1982 Independence UN
(ULFA & NDFB) 1986
India: Hindu vs. Muslim communal violence 1948 Religious None
India vs. Pakistan 1948 Ethnic & Religious UN, U.S.
Indonesia vs. Christians & Muslims in 1977 Religious & Territory None
Maluccan Islands
Indonesia vs. Christians & Muslims on Sulawesi Island 1977 Religious & Territory None
People’s Republic of China vs. Uighur East Turkestan 1982 Independence None
Independence Movement
Philippines vs. Moro Islamic Liberation Front 1984 Religious None
Philippines vs. New People’s Army 1969 Ideological None
Philippines vs. Abu Sayyaf 1999 Criminal & Terrorist U.S., Libya, Malaysia
AFRICA
Algeria vs. Armed Islamic Group (GIA) 1991 Religious vs. Secular rule UN, France U.S.
Burundi: Tutsi vs. Hutu 1988 Ethnic UN, South Africa
Democratic Republic of Congo vs. indigenous rebels 1997 Ethnic UN, France, Angola, Chad, Zimbabwe, Namibia,
Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, African Union, South Africa
Liberia vs. Liberians United for Reconciliation and 2001 Power UN, Economic Community of West African States
Democracy (LURD) Monitoring Group (ECOMOG)
Nigeria communal violence 1970 Religious, Ethnic & Economic None
Somalia: factions 1978 Ethnic UN (humanitarian aid), U.S., Ethiopia, Kenya
Sudan vs. Sudanese People’s Liberation Army 1983 Ethnic & Religious U.S., Iran, Uganda
Uganda vs. Lord’s Army 1986 Power Sudan
EUROPE
Russia vs. Chechnya 1994; 1996 Independence Organization for Security and Cooperation in
Europe (OSCE), Georgia
LATIN AMERICA
Colombia vs. National Liberation Army (ELN) 1978 Drug trade & Ideology U.S.
Colombia vs. Revolutionary Armed Forces of 1978 Drug trade & Ideology U.S.
Colombia (FARC)
Colombia vs. Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia (AUC) 1990 Drug trade & Ideology Right wing militia
Peru vs. Sendero Luminoso 1981 Ideology & Drug Trade None
*Principal groups are Hizbul Mujaheddin, al-Badr, Lashkar-i-Taiba, and Hargat ul-Ansar, backed by the Jamiat-e-Islami movement.

Sorry, it won't format well.

Rain Man 09-08-2004 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raiderhader
You're telling me that Kevin has toppled the Planet icon that is Gaz? Wow.

I tend to think that the power to build or destroy another poster placed in the hands of one individual is a bit dangerous. Especially if that individual is as eccentric as Kevin......

Of course, how do you stop someone like Kevin from obtaining that power?

In case anyone's curious, I only did it out of self-interest to control Gaz's resources.

Raiderhater 09-08-2004 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
In case anyone's curious, I only did it out of self-interest to control Gaz's resources.

LOL!