ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop ***Official Knowmo2724 homer-2000 thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=211188)

Saccopoo 10-15-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

For the first time in his five-year NFL career, Orton is set to receive a conference player-of-the-week honor. The Broncos learned on Tuesday that he will be named AFC Offensive Player of the Week, for his performance against the Patriots on Sunday.
Holy shit. The AFC must suck donkey balls.

SPchief 10-15-2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6173060)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DaQ7wog1Kog&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DaQ7wog1Kog&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:)

nice start...don't mind the clear holding going on in that play..the refs don't

SPchief 10-15-2009 03:58 AM

:37 seconds in..they freeze the hold for like 20 seconds

Quesadilla Joe 10-15-2009 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 6173187)

Holding happens on every play, and it wasn't a blatant hold.

Quesadilla Joe 10-16-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

With their 5-0 start, the Broncos are now tied with 49ers for the most regular-season wins (248) in the NFL since 1984
https://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/4925279174

orange 10-16-2009 03:58 PM

... in NFL in Pat Bowlen era (since '84)

stevieray 10-16-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 6173187)

..and haven't...for years.

Quesadilla Joe 10-16-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 6177327)
... in NFL in Pat Bowlen era (since '84)

It didn't sound right to me so I edited it a bit.

Mile High Mania 10-16-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 6177330)
..and haven't...for years.

Yeah, it's weird that Denver is the only team that benefits from non-holding calls... and against a team like the Patriots. Seriously, every team gets away with holding on plays in every game.

stevieray 10-16-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 6177343)
Yeah, it's weird that Denver is the only team that benefits from non-holding calls... and against a team like the Patriots. Seriously, every team gets away with holding on plays in every game.

:rolleyes:

Mile High Mania 10-16-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 6177344)
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: x infinity... top that

... are you really under the belief that Denver is the only team that benefits from non-calls on holding?

stevieray 10-16-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 6177345)
:rolleyes: x infinity... top that

... are you really under the belief that Denver is the only team that benefits from non-calls on holding?

my fav is how blatantly obvious the donx WR's hold....YAC my ass.

Mile High Mania 10-16-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 6177362)
my fav is how blatantly obvious the donx WR's hold....YAC my ass.

Ahhhhh... ok.

OctoberFart 10-16-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 5973030)
Donks will have a long crappy season-and I will love it.

Hmm? Knomohomer is going to be rubbing your guys nose in on this thread for awhile the way you guys have all this egg on your face.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-17-2009 03:04 AM

I miss hating the Broncos.

Some fans will say ,"that should be built in to your blood and soul".
Well no shit, Beavis. Thank you for that enlightening reality.

These teams and perspectives have changed. They've changed from the inside. That older and magnificent dynamic has been diluted.
Yeah, you hate and want to hate, and pray for the day you can hate with full vengeance, but you have no ammunition to fire your hate with.

And why is this so?

It is so, because you're at the bottom of the barrel.
And I don't mean draft picks, talent, or the lack thereof. What I refer to is a solid, grounded understanding of the War Philosophy that defines Chiefs Football Against The Mother****ing World.

We currently lie so dead, that Herm's victory against the Broncos at Arrowhead looks like Salvation wrapped in Deliverance. We want and crave that day of the turning tide so ****ing bad, we're willing to overlook or go along with this current regime's desperate, shuffle-fix madness.
I'll admit that the ongoing scouting for talent is a refreshing change from the last Administration's complacency.
Hell, a dog licking his dick in the noonday sun comprises thrice the effort of Carl Peterson at this juncture in the season.
But for someone who walked in the door and proclaimed, "I build teams, NOT individuals", I daresay this mother****er has in fact NOT learned how to build a team. Or at the very least; he's having one monkey-****ing fit of a time applying what he studied at the foot of his Master.

When I see Brandon Flowers sporting a look of pure disgust and hate after losing to the Cowboys, and I see Brandon Albert getting beat down and looking out of place after an outstanding rookie year; I'm going to ask some hard mother****ing questions about where people's heads are at.
I am going to pound that bald mother****er until his awards melt to base metals, or until he wakes the **** up and realizes that he is IN FACT in a whole new world and that his incestuous, East Coast/Parcells connections are not going to save his ass.

Boy better wake the **** up and realize where he's at and where he stands.

Oh, and eat this dick:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...DHOMESPLIT.png

Quesadilla Joe 10-17-2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 6178345)

Some fans will say ,"that should be built in to your blood and soul".
Well no shit, Beavis. Thank you for that enlightening reality.

These teams and perspectives have changed. They've changed from the inside. That older and magnificent dynamic has been diluted.
Yeah, you hate and want to hate, and pray for the day you can hate with full vengeance, but you have no ammunition to fire your hate with.

And why is this so?

It is so, because you're at the bottom of the barrel.
And I don't mean draft picks, talent, or the lack thereof. What I refer to is a solid, grounded understanding of the War Philosophy that defines Chiefs Football Against The Mother****ing World.

We currently lie so dead, that Herm's victory against the Broncos at Arrowhead looks like Salvation wrapped in Deliverance. We want and crave that day of the turning tide so ****ing bad, we're willing to overlook or go along with this current regime's desperate, shuffle-fix madness.
I'll admit that the ongoing scouting for talent is a refreshing change from the last Administration's complacency.
Hell, a dog licking his dick in the noonday sun comprises thrice the effort of Carl Peterson at this juncture in the season.
But for someone who walked in the door and proclaimed, "I build teams, NOT individuals", I daresay this mother****er has in fact NOT learned how to build a team. Or at the very least; he's having one monkey-****ing fit of a time applying what he studied at the foot of his Master.

When I see Brandon Flowers sporting a look of pure disgust and hate after losing to the Cowboys, and I see Brandon Albert getting beat down and looking out of place after an outstanding rookie year; I'm going to ask some hard mother****ing questions about where people's heads are at.
I am going to pound that bald mother****er until his awards melt to base metals, or until he wakes the **** up and realizes that he is IN FACT in a whole new world and that his incestuous, East Coast/Parcells connections are not going to save his ass.

Boy better wake the **** up and realize where he's at and where he stands.

Oh, and eat this dick:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...DHOMESPLIT.png

Quote:

Broncos' Moreno voted Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week

Voters on NFL.com have made their choice. running back Knowshon Moreno of the Denver Broncos is the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week for games played on Oct. 11-12, the NFL announced Friday.

In his first career start, Moreno racked up 124 yards from scrimmage in Denver's 20-17 overtime win over the New England Patriots.

Moreno was selected from among five finalists through fan votes on NFL.com/rookies. The other finalists were wide receivers Austin Collie of the Indianapolis Colts, Jeremy Maclin of the Philadelphia Eagles and Hakeem Nicks of the New York Giants and quarterback Mark Sanchez of the New York Jets.

After the regular season, five players will be nominated for Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year honors. Fans can vote for the winner on NFL.com/rookies throughout the month of January. The winner will be announced at a press conference at Super Bowl XLIV in South Florida.

This is Pepsi's eighth year as the official soft drink sponsor of the NFL and the fifth year that Pepsi will present the NFL Rookie of the Week and NFL Rookie of the Year awards.
http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerTy...ype=REG&week=5

Back to back weeks baby! :)

BigMeatballDave 10-17-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 6178345)

:spock:

Quesadilla Joe 10-19-2009 11:01 PM

The previous 4 times the Denver Broncos went 6-0...... They went to the Super Bowl :)

Mile High Mania.... are you on the bandwagon yet????????

kcpasco 10-19-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6190166)
The previous 4 times the Denver Broncos went 6-0...... They went to the Super Bowl :)

Congrats, the Broncos are better then expected

But I'll still take Indy Pittsburgh and New England over Denver come playoff time.

Quesadilla Joe 10-19-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 6190170)
Congrats, the Broncos are better then expected

But I'll still take Indy Pittsburgh and New England over Denver come playoff time.

Denver can beat anyone. Once the playoffs start it isn't the best two teams that go to the SB, it is the hottest two teams that go to the Super Bowl.

SPchief 10-19-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6190175)
Denver can beat anyone. Once the playoffs start it isn't the best two teams that go to the SB, it is the hottest two teams that go to the Super Bowl.

To bad they don't play the super bowl after week 6

Quesadilla Joe 10-20-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 6190238)
To bad they don't play the super bowl after week 6

Denver's offense gets better and better each week. Every game somebody new steps up.

craneref 10-20-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Didn't they get their asses whipped in at two of those Super Bowls? 6-0 is a great start, but all of donkey land was talking about a Super Bowl run last year at mid-season as well. How did that work out?

Bowser 10-20-2009 09:48 AM

I am stunned by with what McDaniels is getting out of Orton, and what Nolan has brought to a defense with essentially the same players that stunk it up last year. Everything is going the Broncos way right now. (the sound of me puking)

Quesadilla Joe 10-20-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Eddie Royal will be named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.
https://twitter.com/Denver_Broncos/status/5029612902

Well deserved. It had been almost 10 years since Denver had a KO return TD. :)

orange 10-20-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Eddie Royal will be named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.
That one was a gimme. He should be joined on the weekly Honor Roll by Dumervil.

Quesadilla Joe 10-21-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Kyle Orton - 1 win away from tying for the most consec. wins (7) by a QB to start yr. w/new team since NFL merger
https://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/5050389818

Mile High Mania 10-22-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

:D It depends which bandwagon you're asking about...

I've never distanced or renounced my rights as a diehard Broncos fan for the last 24 years.

Am I on the 'Superbowl or Bust' bandwagon? No.

Unlike you, I vividly recall the games and teams of the 80s... I'm very familiar with history. To a degree, I'm jaded a bit and have learned over the years to temper my enthusiasm. It's something that comes with time. I've been through several coaches, several winning streaks, etc...

A few years ago, it was said that Denver had gone to the Superbowl every 10 years... 77, 87, 97... well, not so much in 07. Trends are nice, but they don't always come out how you like them.

Obviously, I've raised my expectations for the season... they're on the verge now of competing for playoff positioning, which is odd and rare after just 6 games.

Winning @ SD and @ Oak are huge... having a 3.5 game lead is stunning.

Remaining games vs Redskins, KC twice, with home games vs OAK and SD... that's 10-11 wins, in a season where I set my expectations much lower due to all the change.

Now, don't take this the wrong way... you're having some fun with the thread and saying "look at how right I was". And, that's fine... but, if you do that every season, despite the circumstances then it doesn't mean much for me. It doesn't take much to claim greatness for your team every year... look at GoChiefs.

There are fans of every team, every season that claim they're going to the SB... I'm sure you could find 3-4 Lions fans that said that about 7 weeks ago.

So, I'll end it by being clear... I've never put the predominantly orange and blue face paint in the drawer. I've just learned to be more rational about my expectations and increase them as time goes along through the season. They're playing great right now, but they have some teams (Steelers, Colts, Ravens, Giants, Eagles) that are going to punch them in the mouth and I'm interested to see them respond. They have 4 divisional games remaining and even though they may not appear tough - they're certainly not 'gimme wins'.

Enjoy.

Quesadilla Joe 10-22-2009 07:19 AM

Typical Mile High Mania.... never excited about his Broncos :)

I'm not making any look at me posts, I am just updating this thread with Broncos news like always.

Mile High Mania 10-22-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6195406)

I'm not making any look at me posts, I am just updating this thread with Broncos news like always.

One day you'll understand. There's nothing fair-weather or 'wait and see' about my fandom...

Bane 10-22-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6195406)

:ZZZ:

vailpass 10-22-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6195557)
:ZZZ:

The kid has earned the right to a few posts.

Quesadilla Joe 10-22-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Since 1960, only three QBs have thrown one or fewer INTs in 150+ attempts while leading their team to a 6-0 start – Roger Staubach (1977 Cowboys), Roman Gabriel (1969 Rams) and Kyle Orton this year. And the one interception was an end-of-half heave vs. New England. Gabriel reached the playoffs and Staubach won the Super Bowl
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Art...positions.html

Mile High Mania 10-22-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6195730)
The kid has earned the right to a few posts.

Enh, there's going over-board and then you have jumping the shark...

vailpass 10-22-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 6196065)
Enh, there's going over-board and then you have jumping the shark...

He hasn't said a thing that hasn't been backed up. Fan is short for fanatic right?

Mile High Mania 10-22-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6196093)
He hasn't said a thing that hasn't been backed up. Fan is short for fanatic right?

No worries, I'm not bashing the li'l guy...

Quesadilla Joe 10-26-2009 06:32 AM

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/wri...0mcdaniels.jpg

Check out this football card of Josh McDaniels. It's from 1995, from the Big 33 high school all-star game between Pennsylvania and Ohio. It's the only card of McDaniels, obviously, seeing that he went on to play Division III football and never played in the NFL. When he got the Denver coaching job last January, the card could be had for 75 cents. On Friday, it was selling for $40 on some of the secondary markets.

Think of the timing of this. In 1995, McDaniels was a huge Browns fan, and Bill Belichick was getting run out of town right about then. Belichick's the guy who eventually became his mentor, obviously. And now look at him. He hasn't changed much, has he?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...25/mmqb/5.html

He looks exactly the same as he did in High School minus the Elvis Presley hair cut.ROFL

orange 10-26-2009 12:29 PM

Broncos Make a Move

Broncos punt Kern, welcome Berger

Posted by Mike Florio on October 26, 2009 2:07 PM ET

It's fitting that, a day after a quarterback was spotted hiding a hot dog between his legs, a punter known for keeping a Snickers in his shoe has gotten a new job.

The Broncos have announced that punter Brett Kern has been waived, and that Mitch Berger has been signed.

Berger punted for the Steelers last season, after Daniel Sepulveda torn an ACL in training camp.

Adam Schefter of ESPN pointed out last Monday that the Broncos had made no roster moves all year.

They finally have -- and the hope is that it makes them better in a phase of the game on which they haven't had to heavily rely.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...elcome-berger/

Quesadilla Joe 10-28-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

WR Eddie Royal named AFC Special Teams Player of Month. First time in team history two Broncos win AFC Spec. Tms. POM in same year.
https://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/5242277706

Mile High Mania 10-28-2009 05:34 PM

I wonder if Pat has mixed emotions... great success so far and several players needing new deals.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Orton and Dumervil are set to get paid out the yin-yang, as is Brandon Marshall... and they have 2-3 others up for new deals as well. It's going to be interesting to see how Pat handles all of this in the offseason.

orange 10-28-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6215352)

BRONCOS WR EDDIE ROYAL TO BE NAMED AFC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Denver Broncos wide receiver Eddie Royal will be named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for October, the National Football League informed the Broncos on Wednesday.

Royal’s selection as AFC Special Teams Player of the Month is the first such award of his two-year NFL career. It marks the first time in club history that the Broncos have had multiple AFC Special Teams Player of the Month winners in the same year with kicker Matt Prater also earning that award in September.

During three October games, Royal returned eight punts for 134 yards (16.8 avg.) with one touchdown (71 yds.) and five kickoffs for 158 yards (31.6 avg.) with one score (93 yds.) to total 292 return yards and two return touchdowns. He was the only player in the NFL to rank among the league’s top-four players in both kickoff return average (3rd) and punt return average (4th) for the month, and his two special-teams return scores led the league in October.

On Monday Night Football at San Diego (10/19), Royal became only the 11th player in NFL history (2nd Bronco) to score a touchdown on both a kickoff (93 yds.) and punt (71 yds.) return in the same game.

A former standout at Virginia Tech University, Royal is Denver’s fifth AFC Special Teams Player of the Month, which was initiated by the NFL in 1993. He joins Prater (September 2009), punter Todd Sauerbrun (October 2005), running back Reuben Droughns (September 2004) and kicker Jason Elam (November 2001) in receiving that honor.

http://broncotalk.net/2009/10/11165/...-of-the-month/

Quesadilla Joe 10-29-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

With recent contracts for QBs, what is Orton worth to Broncos?
By Pat Kirwan

With recent quarterback contracts pushing toward $1 million a game for the likes of Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, what is Kyle Orton worth?

I recently spoke to two former front office executives about placing a value on Orton, especially in light of what Jay Cutler just received from the Bears, a two-year extension that runs through 2013 and includes about $20 million guaranteed with roughly $30 million in new money.

Orton is a guy who wins games wherever he plays. After coming over from Chicago in the Cutler deal, Orton has the Broncos at 6-0 and is young enough (soon to be 27) to play the length of a new six-year deal.

One exec looked at Orton's situation this way:

"When (Tony) Romo got a six-year deal back in 2007 for $67 million and $30 (million) of it guaranteed, the world changed and I could make a strong case he hadn't done near as much as Orton has accomplished looking at his contract situation."

Aaron Rodgers got a six-year deal worth $65 million with $20 million guaranteed before he established himself. Then there was Matt Cassel, who got $63 million over six years with $28 million guaranteed off one year of production.

The consensus on Orton's worth is just above the Cassel deal but significantly below what Rivers received from the Chargers ($92 million over six years with $38 million guaranteed). When the time comes, Orton is going to be looking at a six-year deal worth close to $70 million with upwards of $30 million guaranteed.

As one GM said, "If they wait much longer, it will be even more."
I hope Orton doesn't want big money. Denver can't afford to give Orton, Dumervil, Marshall, Kuper, Hamilton, and Tony Scheffler big deals. Hopefully he takes a very team friendly deal... Something like 7 years for 30 million.

Mile High Mania 10-29-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6217420)
I hope Orton doesn't want big money. Denver can't afford to give Orton, Dumervil, Marshall, Kuper, Hamilton, and Tony Scheffler big deals. Hopefully he takes a very team friendly deal... Something like 7 years for 30 million.

You're totally stoned if you think he'll take a contract that is half of what his peers are making... they'll look at Cassel and say "that is the starting point". And, nobody can blame him, he's earned it... look at all the great things you've posted about him... why should he ask for less?

Quesadilla Joe 10-29-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 6217463)
You're totally stoned if you think he'll take a contract that is half of what his peers are making... they'll look at Cassel and say "that is the starting point". And, nobody can blame him, he's earned it... look at all the great things you've posted about him... why should he ask for less?

I'm not saying he should. That is what I hope. He always talks about being a team first guy, so maybe he will take less money come contract time. Maybe 45-50 mil instead of 60.

Orton doesn't seem to be too concerned with money anyways... He drives a freaking Prius.

vailpass 10-29-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6217474)
I'm not saying he should. That is what I hope. He always talks about being a team first guy, so maybe he will take less money come contract time. Maybe 45-50 mil instead of 60.

Orton doesn't seem to be too concerned with money anyways... He drives a freaking Prius.

I hear ya. On the other hand Phyllis Rivers drives a minivan (really) which didn't stop her from breaking the bank.

vailpass 10-29-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 6215511)
I wonder if Pat has mixed emotions... great success so far and several players needing new deals.

Orton and Dumervil are set to get paid out the yin-yang, as is Brandon Marshall... and they have 2-3 others up for new deals as well. It's going to be interesting to see how Pat handles all of this in the offseason.

I wonder how not having a CBA in place and the upcoming uncapped season will/would affect this?

Quesadilla Joe 10-29-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6217534)
I wonder how not having a CBA in place and the upcoming uncapped season will/would affect this?

I think I heard if an uncapped season happens each team has an option to use two transition tags and a franchise tag. The transition tag pretty much gives you the right to match any offer a player gets. In a capped year you could only use 1 franchise tag or 1 transition tag, not both.

Mile High Mania 10-29-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6217474)

I don't care what he drives... this is his job and there's no loyalty from owners in sports, so when it's time he and the rest will get all they can and I don't blame them.

vailpass 10-29-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 6217962)
I don't care what he drives... this is his job and there's no loyalty from owners in sports, so when it's time he and the rest will get all they can and I don't blame them.

Do you think Orton knows what "cakn" means?
God I hope not.

Quesadilla Joe 10-29-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

If the #Broncos win Sunday, Josh McDaniels would become the first rookie Head Coach in NFL history to start 7-0.
https://twitter.com/broncotalk/status/5274121232

Jim Caldwell has a chance to do this also if they Colts beat the 49ers.

Quesadilla Joe 11-03-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Broncos rookie RB Knowshon Moreno leads the NFL in fewest percentage of rushes for negative yardage (5.5% / just 6-of-109 runs).
http://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/5393678916

Mile High Mania 11-03-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6230270)

Enh, that's great and all... but, they need to pick things up a notch with the ground game to open things up on offense.

Quesadilla Joe 11-04-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Don't expect Broncos to start buckling after first loss

It's hard to believe the Broncos team that took the field for Sunday's 30-7 loss at Baltimore was the same one that had dispatched Dallas, New England and San Diego in the previous three games to build a 6-0 record.

WR Eddie Royal and the Broncos got away from their winning formula in Sunday's 30-7 loss to Baltimore.Everything the Broncos had done well — protect the ball, move it efficiently, play strong second-half defense, win the battles on special teams — unraveled over four brutal quarters against the Ravens.

One of the reasons rookie coach Josh McDaniels had such a good start to the season is that he didn't get caught up in the unbeaten record, regarding each victory as just one step toward a bigger goal. Now he'll have the task of making sure Denver's first loss doesn't lead to bigger problems.

"Even the things that you feel like you're doing well, after a loss become more glaring, and you really take the time to evaluate what you're good at and what you're not good at," McDaniels said. "Some of the things that you think you're pretty strong in, you need to address those and become stronger."

So what lessons should Denver have learned from Week 8? Here's what the Broncos, who have a two-game lead over San Diego in the AFC West, need to do to avoid a free fall out of the playoff picture:

1.) Don't take it with you. The Broncos can't afford to hang their heads after the loss because the reigning Super Bowl champion Steelers are coming to Colorado for a Monday night showdown. That's just the start to a daunting second half schedule that includes the Chargers, Giants, Colts and Eagles.

Coming off the loss at Baltimore, it may be in the Broncos' best interest to play an equally tough AFC North opponent rather than face the potential for a letdown against a lesser opponent. Like the Ravens, the Steelers feature a physical 3-4 defense and a versatile offense.

"They're coming off a bye, so they'll be well-prepared," Broncos wide receiver Jabar Gaffney said. "We're coming off a big loss, a very bad loss, and we don't want to feel like this again." Being at home, in front of an electric prime-time crowd, will provide a necessary boost.

2.) Don't go changing. Under McDaniels, the Broncos have stuck with a simple yet effective blueprint to win games. Offensively, it's about balance and ball security. Defensively, they have been able to win the battles up front -- both against the run and the pass.

Despite the lopsided score in Baltimore, some of the formula was executed. The defense did its part, putting up two sacks and holding the Ravens to 3.6 yards per rushing attempt.

The offense was able to slug it out for some tough rushing yards but lacked punch in the passing game. By losing a first quarter fumble and struggling on third down (converting 3-of-13 plays), the offense put too much burden on the defense. The Ravens also used a no-huddle approach to further tire out Denver's D in the second half.

With the Broncos unable to consistently move the chains like they had in previous games, everything was thrown off.

"We have to play complementary football," running back Correll Buckhalter said. "The offense has to help out the defense, and the defense has to help out the offense."

3.) Don't think about last year. Although the Broncos have many holdovers from the 2008 team that tumbled out of the playoffs down the stretch, they had enough of an offseason personnel overhaul to prevent the memory of last year becoming an issue.

Most important, they have a new leadership structure, from McDaniels and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan on the sideline to former Eagles safety Brian Dawkins, the defensive captain, on the field. The individual accountability is there, which will help them regroup as a unit.

"You always hear players say, 'We'll have to look at the film,' but most of us know where he messed up," Dawkins said after the Ravens game. "Now we just go back to practice and work on correcting our mistakes."

NFL Network analyst Matt Millen, who will be part of the broadcast team when Denver hosts the Giants on Thanksgiving night, thinks this version of the Broncos won't meet the fate of the '08 team, which lost its final three games.

"They've created an atmosphere where they believe in each other," Millen said. "The key to a winning season is confidence."
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...ter-first-loss

Quesadilla Joe 11-09-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Orton's uphill climb to the top
QB may have struggled early in his career, but it was to be expected given his situation

This week's "Monday Night Football" game features a 27-year-old quarterback coming into his own as a professional, one who took over as a rookie and rode an excellent defense to a gaudy record only to come up short in the playoffs. After dealing with some off-the-field issues, he's emerged as the bona fide deal, a legitimately superb quarterback with the ability to carry his team to victory through thick and thin.

Ben Roethlisberger? Yeah, he's good too. We'll take Kyle Orton for $995,000 this year, thanks.

In light of his success as the Denver Broncos' starting quarterback, it's time to re-evaluate Orton. Is he a game manager who relies upon his defense? A journeyman in the right places at the right times? A secretly effective quarterback who just wins? Let's go back to the beginning and give him a fair shake.

Before we start, we'll throw out the unfortunate drinking photos and choices in facial hair. They might have been poor decisions, but they didn't involve breaking the law, and they don't have any impact on his performance nowadays. They've obviously come to form part of Orton's reputation as a somewhat laughable quarterback, but they're irrelevant to his quality of play.

Orton was a Heisman Trophy candidate at Purdue in his senior season before petering out in the second half of the year, thanks to a nagging hip injury that cost him accuracy. Playing mostly out of the shotgun, he put up numbers comparable to those of his Boilermakers predecessor, Drew Brees.

Easy Like Breesy

During their time at Purdue, Orton and Brees put up similar numbers.

Player Cmp Att Cmp % Yds Yds/Att
Brees 990 1,617 61.2 11,394 7.05
Orton 786 1,336 58.8 9,337 6.99

Just like with Brees, questions were raised about Orton's ability to adapt to the pro game coming out of a shotgun-friendly system. Orton's ESPN prospect profile noted:

As was the case with former Purdue star Drew Brees (Chargers), it may take Orton longer to make the transition to the NFL than other quarterbacks that had better experience in a more traditional offense. Orton needs to improve the quickness of his delivery and become much more consistent when put under pressure. Otherwise, Orton has the physical tools and makeup to develop into a solid starter in the NFL. He has the size, arm strength, accuracy and mind that it takes to succeed at the next level.

Of course, the Chicago Bears selected Orton in the fourth round of the 2005 NFL draft, and after starting quarterback Rex Grossman fractured his ankle during the preseason, the 22-year-old Orton was the Bears' Opening Day starter against the Washington Redskins.

Although Chicago went 10-5 with Orton at the helm before he gave way to Grossman, it wasn't a pretty season. He ranked 45th among NFL quarterbacks in defense-adjusted yards above replacement and 41st in defense-adjusted value over average. He also completed only 51.6 percent of his passes and threw more interceptions (13) than touchdowns (nine). (For an explanation of Football Outsiders' advanced metrics, click here.) The 2005 season gave Orton a reputation as being overmatched at the pro level.

It's true, Orton was overmatched. But the reality is that any quarterback of Orton's caliber coming out of the college ranks would have been overmatched. Of the players from the DVOA era (1995 to 2009), Orton is one of only two fourth-round picks to start more than five games as a rookie. The other one was Chris Weinke, who fell that far in the draft only because he was already 29 years old, and Weinke put up numbers comparable to Orton's.

That's not surprising because every other quarterback taken after the first round who started more than five games as a rookie between 1995 and 2009 has been mediocre at best. The list isn't long: second-rounders Tony Banks, Charlie Batch, Quincy Carter and Jake Plummer, third-rounder Trent Edwards and sixth-rounder Bruce Gradkowski. Only Plummer was younger than Orton in his rookie season, and none of them had what would qualify as good seasons. Once you get past the elite quarterbacks taken in the first round, passers simply require an adjustment period.

After two years with Grossman at the helm, Orton became the starter at the beginning of the 2008 season. His first half bore no resemblance to the Orton of old, but after spraining his ankle in a Week 9 game against the Lions, he came back too early and had a frightening second half that depressed his numbers.

Too Much, Too Fast, Too Soon
After being rushed into the lineup, Orton's stats suffered, as they did when he returned too quickly from an ankle injury.

Time Span Cmp Att Cmp Yds Yds/Att TD INT
2005 190 368 51.6 1,869 5.08 9 13
First half of 2008 151 244 61.9 1,777 7.29 10 4
Second half of 2008 121 221 54.8 1,195 5.41 8 8
Actual totals of 2008 272 465 58.5 2,972 6.39 18 12
First half per 16 games 2008 302 488 61.9 3,554 7.29 20 8

Orton's DVOA dropped like a rock; it stood at an impressive 18.5 percent before the injury, but after he returned, he was back at replacement level, down at minus-22.9 percent.

This season, of course, Orton has been fantastic for the Broncos. Although he's at a flukily low interception rate of one in 231 attempts, he's completed nearly 64 percent of his passes while throwing nine scores against that lone pick. His 27.4 percent DVOA compares favorably to Jay Cutler's 22.0 percent DVOA with the same offensive line and receivers in the 2008 season, and at a salary of $995,000, he's been an absolute bargain.

So, consider this alternate scenario for Orton. Throw out the crappy facial hair. Get rid of the rookie season for which every other quarterback of his ilk also would have been overmatched, and turn his sprained ankle into a broken one that cost him the remainder of the season.

What you'd have then is an incredibly promising prospect, a quarterback who struggled to get time behind the overrated Grossman before emerging as a star in a half-season before suffering a fluke ankle injury. After a trade to Denver, he's outperformed the more expensive Cutler, and he'll be entering unrestricted free agency despite being younger than Philip Rivers or Eli Manning.

Maybe Orton isn't as good as we're making him out to be. Chances are, though, he's a better quarterback than a lot of people have given him credit for.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...3fid%3d4629618

Orton the next Brees?!?! :) :)

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-09-2009 04:02 AM

You devilish little imp.4321:p:D

Quesadilla Joe 11-10-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Broncos HC Josh McDaniels, T Ryan Clady (consensus) and OLB/DE Elvis Dumervil named to Pro Football Weekly's Midseason All-Pro Team.
http://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/5595095305

Quesadilla Joe 11-10-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

There are 3 teams that rank in the top 10 in both sacks and sacks allowed... DEN, IND and CIN... Usually a good playoff indicator
http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/5592461050

Quote:

Plenty of teams make the playoffs each year that aren't ranked top 10 in both sacks/sacks allowed...if you are ranked in both almost a lock
http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/5593093269

The Bad Guy 11-10-2009 03:42 PM

If you are 6-2 and don't make the playoffs, you better never post here again.

Quesadilla Joe 11-13-2009 02:37 AM

From Darnell Dockett's twitter

Quote:

If I was on the chicago team "JAY CUTLER" is walking his ass home. In his uniform!
http://twitter.com/ddockett/status/5670499746

ROFL

BossChief 11-13-2009 04:20 AM

I find it funny that this guy used to be swallowing cutlers loads just a few short months ago and now he posts everything bad he can find about the guy.

Its like they got divorced because jay cheated on him and now he is all bitter and ready to **** any guy in town to get back at him.

ROFL

Quesadilla Joe 11-13-2009 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 6257554)
I find it funny that this guy used to be swallowing cutlers loads just a few short months ago and now he posts everything bad he can find about the guy.

Its like they got divorced because jay cheated on him and now he is all bitter and ready to **** any guy in town to get back at him.

ROFL

Ummm...I have probably posted less than 5 articles about Jay Cutler since he was traded.

I liked Cutler when he was in Denver and did think he was the next Elway the first 4 or 5 games of last season. Then he just tanked the rest of the season and blew a 4 game division lead with 4 games to go. Then the whole offseason drama happened and he became pretty easy to hate.

It just feels good to be able to laugh about it now after every article I read the entire offseason was saying how stupid the Broncos were for getting rid of this "Franchise QB".

BossChief 11-13-2009 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6257557)
Ummm...I have probably posted less than 5 articles about Jay Cutler since he was traded.

I liked Cutler when he was in Denver and did think he was the next Elway the first 4 or 5 games of last season. Then he just tanked the rest of the season and blew a 4 game division lead with 4 games to go. Then the whole offseason drama happened and he became pretty easy to hate.

It just feels good to be able to laugh about it now after every article I read the entire offseason was saying how stupid the Broncos were for getting rid of this "Franchise QB".

You do realize he blew a big division lead every year he was your QB right? He was your chosen one until the day he was traded.

Im happy for you, I really am!

Now if you can excuse me...

I gotta go and :Lin:

Chiefs=Champions 11-13-2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6257536)
From Darnell Dockett's twitter

http://twitter.com/ddockett/status/5670499746

ROFL

ORTON WAS AWESOME AGAINST THE STEELERS SO U CAN SAY THIS!11!!!!

Quesadilla Joe 11-13-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I=SUCK (Post 6257563)
ORTON WAS AWESOME AGAINST THE STEELERS SO U CAN SAY THIS!11!!!!

CUTLER THREW MORE PICKS IN 1 GAME THAN ORTON HAS ALL SEASON SO I CAN SAY THIS!!11!!!

Chiefs=Champions 11-13-2009 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6257565)
CUTLER THREW MORE PICKS IN 1 GAME THAN ORTON HAS ALL SEASON SO I CAN SAY THIS!!11!!!

Orton will be exposed soon my homer friend. no need to worry :)

BossChief 11-13-2009 05:49 AM

I am saying this in the literal sense, Denver may not make the playoffs. Look at their schedule.

Nov 15 DEN @ WAS
Nov 22 SD @ DEN
Nov 26 NYG @ DEN
Dec 06 DEN @ KC
Dec 13 DEN @ IND
Dec 20 OAK @ DEN
Dec 27 DEN @ PHI
Jan 03 KC @ DEN

you may only get three more wins all year and that may not be enough to seal up the west crown my friend.

time will tell

Chiefs=Champions 11-13-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 6257572)
I am saying this in the literal sense, Denver may not make the playoffs. Look at their schedule.

Nov 15 DEN @ WAS
Nov 22 SD @ DEN
Nov 26 NYG @ DEN
Dec 06 DEN @ KC
Dec 13 DEN @ IND
Dec 20 OAK @ DEN
Dec 27 DEN @ PHI
Jan 03 KC @ DEN

you may only get three more wins all year and that may not be enough to seal up the west crown my friend.

time will tell

God i hope that happens! ROFL

Quesadilla Joe 11-13-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I=SUCK (Post 6257670)
God i hope that happens! ROFL

Quote:

Through eight games, the Broncos are 5th in NFL in strength of schedule (.563 / 36-28). None of 4 teams ahead have winning record.
https://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/5680874890

Quesadilla Joe 11-13-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Broncos' Clady, named to several midseason all-pro teams, looks to become only 6th tackle to earn 1st tm. AP All-Pro by 2nd season since '70
http://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/5690530610
Quote:

Clady=2nd-tm All-Pro last yr. No T has ever received 1st team all-pro as rookie. Zimmerman, Roaf, Ogden, Munoz and Brown 2nd yr All-Pro Ts.
http://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/5690639134

The Bad Guy 11-13-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6259331)

Mid-season awards are just about as good as it's going to get this year.

If you lose to Washington, can we finally end this happy horseshit?

BossChief 11-13-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6259367)

I doubt it happens, but if it does...wow.

Quesadilla Joe 11-13-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6259367)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6095818)
Denver's defense is...

1st in the NFL in PPG
3rd in the NFL in YPG
4th in the NFL in Yards per play
2nd in the NFL in first downs allowed
2nd in the NFL in 3rd down defense
3rd in the NFL in sacks
5th in the NFL in INT's
5th in the NFL in fumble recoveries

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6096142)
Talk to me after the midway point in the season. If they are #1, you have reason to gloat.

Now Denver's defense is....

3rd in the NFL in PPG
3rd in the NFL in YPG
3rd in the NFL in Yards per play
4th in the NFL in first downs allowed
11th in the NFL in 3rd down defense
3rd in the NFL in sacks
18th in the NFL in INT's
8th in the NFL in fumble recoveries

The whole damn season is worthless to you Bad Guy.:)

Param 11-13-2009 09:26 PM

Since Cutler just tossed 5 picks. Guess who was the last Bears QB to throw 5 interceptions before Cutler?

LMAO

Quesadilla Joe 11-13-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Param (Post 6259429)
Since Cutler just tossed 5 picks. Guess who was the last Bears QB to throw 5 interceptions before Cutler?

LMAO

Orton his rookie year when he was a 4th round draft pick. Cutler is in his 4th season now ROFL

The Bad Guy 11-13-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6259424)
Now Denver's defense is....

3rd in the NFL in PPG
3rd in the NFL in YPG
3rd in the NFL in Yards per play
4th in the NFL in first downs allowed
11th in the NFL in 3rd down defense
3rd in the NFL in sacks
18th in the NFL in INT's
8th in the NFL in fumble recoveries

The whole damn season is worthless to you Bad Guy.:)

Not #1.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-13-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6259509)
Not #1.

LMAO

I'll give you props for your continued efforts at warfare even though the munitions cache is all but depleted.

BossChief 11-13-2009 10:34 PM

They arent gonna be sneaking up on anybody anymore this year. The surprise attack was their advantage through the opening stretch, teams are starting to catch up to them and are learning how to beat them.

I said it before you guys picked him up that he was my top choice for DC and that Haslett was #2. I am pissed that we settled with Pendercast and hope he is demoted after this year and the spot is upgraded.

Quesadilla Joe 11-14-2009 12:38 AM

Kyle Orton first 9 games in Chicago last year
QB Rating 88.96
Yards per game 212
Yards per attempt 7.82
Comp% 67.21
TD's 10
Int's 4
Fumbles 3

Jay Cutler first 9 games in Chicago this year
QB Rating 76.0
Yards per game 261.44
Yards per attempt 7.0
Comp% 62.4
TD's 14
Int's 17
Fumbles 7

Param 11-14-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 6259433)
Orton his rookie year when he was a 4th round draft pick. Cutler is in his 4th season now ROFL

They both suck!

ROFL

Param 11-15-2009 03:18 PM

Chiefs beat Skins

Donkey lose to Skins

Chiefs>Donkeys

ROFL