ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs John Dorsey (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268434)

BigMeatballDave 01-08-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 9297080)
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Green Bay personnel man John Dorsey interviewing for the Chiefs GM job today. Been considered the likely choice since Andy Reid got there

(from 49 seconds ago)

Well, was it today or yesterday?

FAX 01-08-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9297087)

Both, probably.

Clark decided to meet with him for about 38 hours non-stop.

FAX

RUSH 01-08-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Jason LaConfora is a hack so I'm going to side with the Wisconsin guy on this one. Was probably yesterday.

DaWolf 01-08-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Depends if you believe NBC26 in Green Bay or LaCanfora.

My guess: Somewhere in between. He probably flew in yesterday and had dinner with officials (thus the NBC26 report) but may be formally interviewing today...

RunKC 01-08-2013 04:15 PM

Dorsey seems like a strong candidate, but I wonder how much work he really did in Green Bay?

Front office man looking great, but has an elite GM at the top helping him.

Where have we heard this before?

DTLB58 01-08-2013 04:19 PM

Adam ‏@ChiefsInsighter

Potential Chiefs GM John Dorsey on draft philosophy: “Best player available. We live it."
Retweeted by SaveOurChiefs

Johnny Kane ‏@johnnykane9

Running a story at 6 PM on John Dorsey interviewing for Chiefs GM and the Tom Heckert possibility. #Chiefs
Retweeted by SaveOurChiefs

RealSNR 01-08-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297104)
Dorsey seems like a strong candidate, but I wonder how much work he really did in Green Bay?

Front office man looking great, but has an elite GM at the top helping him.

Where have we heard this before?

Scott Pioli was never a director of college scouting.

Sassy Squatch 01-08-2013 04:24 PM

Do want!!

O.city 01-08-2013 04:26 PM

Adam ‏@ChiefsInsighter

Potential Chiefs GM John Dorsey on draft philosophy: “Best player available. We live it."

RunKC 01-08-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9297127)
Scott ***** was never a director of college scouting.

Oh nm I thought he did some work in that area.

I love the best player available approach that Dorsey has.

Finally a guy who won't reach for players like Tyson Jackson just because it's a need.

BigMeatballDave 01-08-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9297127)
Scott ***** was never a director of college scouting.

He was the director of Belichick nuthugging.

FAX 01-08-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9297138)
Adam ‏@ChiefsInsighter

I have long (and frustratingly) believed this with all my football heart. Best available player, regardless of position ... in my humble opinion, it's the only way to fly.

Go Wally!!!

FAX

O.city 01-08-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297139)
Oh nm I thought he did some work in that area.

I love the best player available approach that Dorsey has.

Finally a guy who won't reach for players like Tyson Jackson just because it's a need.

Exactly.

You still have to look at needs, but the need has to match up somewhat with BPA.

Say you need a QB, and he's the 8 BPA on your board, you look at him because it's such an important position.

wazu 01-08-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9297146)
I have long (and frustratingly) believed this with all my football heart. Best available player, regardless of position ... in my humble opinion, it's the only way to fly.

Go Wally!!!

FAX

In general I like that philosophy, but it is not absolute. If there is an OT that is the best player at #1, I will be pissed if we take him and not a QB.

RunKC 01-08-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9297159)
Exactly.

You still have to look at needs, but the need has to match up somewhat with BPA.

Say you need a QB, and he's the 8 BPA on your board, you look at him because it's such an important position.

This is why the New York Giants are good every year.

A few years ago people were a little confused with their pick of JPP because they already had Osi, Tuck and Kiwanuka.

That sure turned out for the best.

O.city 01-08-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297178)

A few years ago people questioned their pick of JPP because they already had Osi, Tuck and Kiwanuka.

Yep.

I'm especially keen on BPA, then filling needs in FA with adequate guys.

WildTurkey 01-08-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Adam ‏@ChiefsInsighter

Love it. I'm all about BPA

suds79 01-08-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Adam ‏@ChiefsInsighter

Okay great. Now I need him to define best player.

Eli Manning vs Joe Thomas... Who's the better player? Positional value is a huge factor folks.

RunKC 01-08-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9297181)
Yep.

I'm especially keen on BPA, then filling needs in FA with adequate guys.

I'll play some devil's advocate. What if they decide Luke Joekel is by far the best player above any of the QB's in round 1 and then draft the QB in late round 1 or early round 2?

Will you be mad?

O.city 01-08-2013 04:46 PM

Well, like suds just said, positional value has to come into play.

Mecca said it a few days ago, but a QB rated 90 or 92 is a better pick than an OT at 95 plus.

The NFL, like it or not, is all about the QB. Until you get one, your spinning your wheels.

keg in kc 01-08-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297208)
I'll play some devil's advocate. What if they decide Luke Joekel is by far the best player above any of the QB's in round 1 and then draft the QB in late round 1 or early round 2?

Will you be mad?

No I'd just be wondering when we're ever going to get a front office who has a clue when it comes to draft evaluation.

jd1020 01-08-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Will you be mad?

Yup.

2 reasons:

1) No reason to draft Joekel unless you have decided to let Albert go, which is stupid.

2) The best QBs will have already been drafted by then.

HolyHat 01-08-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9277216)
Yes.

He's been Green Bay's Director of College Scouting since 2000.

Players drafted under his watch include: Bubba Franks, Chad Clifton, Na'il Diggs, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (KGB), Javon Walker, Aaron Kampan, Nick Barnett, Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Matt Flynn, Jermichael Finley, B.J. Raji, Clay Matthews, James Starks, Randall Cobb... just to name a few.

He was also Green Bay's Director of College Scouting from 1997-1998 when they drafted Ross Verba, Darren Sharper, Vonnie Holliday, and Matt Hasselbeck.

Very Nice

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Will you be mad?

Why take Joeckel when the Chiefs have Albert? Why would he even be considered?

RealSNR 01-08-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

A few years ago people were a little confused with their pick of JPP because they already had Osi, Tuck and Kiwanuka.

They already had a QB, asshole

DaWolf 01-08-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9297174)
In general I like that philosophy, but it is not absolute. If there is an OT that is the best player at #1, I will be pissed if we take him and not a QB.

Quote:

Will you be mad?

Everyone will be mad. It's their job to get it right.

So if we draft him and let Albert go, he better be getting a bust in the HOF one day and be the cornerstone of multiple top 5 offenses...

RunKC 01-08-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9297238)
They already had a QB, asshole

That wasn't the point.

bowener 01-08-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9296400)
They probably agreed for Dorsey to be the GM but they won't make an announcement till the Packers are out of the playoffs or win it all.

We will know if the Chiefs stop interviewing GM candidates that he has already accepted the position.

FAX 01-08-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9297261)
We will know if the Chiefs stop interviewing GM candidates that he has already accepted the position.

Not necessarily. They could play the ol' shell game and hide Dorsey's pea under the one they don't actually move.

FAX

O.city 01-08-2013 05:00 PM

The whole argument about "well, the Bengals got Dalton in the 2nd or the 9ers and Kapernick etc" got me thinking.. Yeah, they got those guys in the second, but were any other QB's still available int he first when they picked?

Could the 9ers have taken a QB when they picked in the first? Who did they pass up?

Cause if thats the route the Chiefs go this year, it's a little different than those other teams. They had EVERY QB available to them, they didn't just sit at their spot and wait to see what happens.

keg in kc 01-08-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297257)
That wasn't the point.

It should be. Nothing else matters until you take care of the QB.

HolyHat 01-08-2013 05:04 PM

We dont get the luxury of taking the BPA, Peehole ruined our QB shituation. No other position matters to me in this draft. Take a QB in all rounds if need be. This is a QB league and right now we are getting donkey fuked at that position. After we have a QB, than we can start taking BPA each year.

Dorsey of all people knows the importance of having a playmaking QB. So yes RUNKC, I'll be pissed if we take ANY other position other than QB #1

Dante84 01-08-2013 05:08 PM

"Best Player Available" and Positional Value do not have to be mutually exclusive. So many fail to understand this. Think outside the box.

You can develop a scoring system that takes into account:
- Roster Need (Go 80 deep by position and depth)
- Positional value (ranking against others of the same position and type)
- Measurables (combine stats, height/weight, hand size)
- Talent (body of work, performance, stats, accomplishments)
- Risk (injury, off the field)
- Intelligence (football IQ, general IQ)
- Intangibles (leadership, personality, work ethic)

Grade each prospect. Grade each FA. Update your grades regularly. Compare with those you trust. Combine grades......

AND BOOM.

You have a formula to determine the "Best Player Available."

okcchief 01-08-2013 05:13 PM

If a QB close to overall best on the board they will take one. It's the biggest position of need. Unless they pick up one through free agency or the a trade. I hope they pick Geno because I will have to stay away from the board if not. The meltdowns will be ridiculous. I'm trusting the regime for a couple of years and see how it goes. I know the old one would **** it up, but if you are happy about the hires you have to ride it until they are proven wrong IMO.

NJChiefsFan 01-08-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

How does it turn out of they have an average QB on their team instead of Eli Manning?

htismaqe 01-08-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9297266)

Exactly.

RunKC 01-08-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9297266)

I agree.

I'm just tired of taking reaches like Javier Arenas, Dexter McCluster and Tyson Jackson when there are better players on the board.

Mother****erJones 01-08-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297392)
I agree.

I'm just tired of taking reaches like Javier Arenas, Dexter McCluster and Tyson Jackson when there are better players on the board.

Buddy you dont have that to worry about anymore!

Nightfyre 01-08-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9297290)
"Best Player Available" and Positional Value do not have to be mutually exclusive. So many fail to understand this. Think outside the box.

You can develop a scoring system that takes into account:
- Roster Need (Go 80 deep by position and depth)
- Positional value (ranking against others of the same position and type)
- Measurables (combine stats, height/weight, hand size)
- Talent (body of work, performance, stats, accomplishments)
- Risk (injury, off the field)
- Intelligence (football IQ, general IQ)
- Intangibles (leadership, personality, work ethic)

Grade each prospect. Grade each FA. Update your grades regularly. Compare with those you trust. Combine grades......

AND BOOM.

You have a formula to determine the "Best Player Available."

Better yet, you can weight each of those categories as necessary for each position, etc. to further refine the model. For example, you may not care about a CB or RB's football IQ. Because clearly it doesn't matter.

HolyHat 01-08-2013 05:45 PM

BPA = Biggest Penis Available = Geno Smith

Chiefs Pantalones 01-08-2013 05:51 PM

I just don't see any reason not to take a QB with the first pick. Who else is there that just says, "This guy would benefit our team more than insert whichever QB the team thinks is best in the draft."

Who we gonna pick up in FA? Vick=sucks. Alex Smith=sucks. Matt Flynn=get out of here.

I think we should do what the Skins did. Draft a QB with our first pick, then pick another one in the mid rounds. JMO.

Mi_chief_fan 01-08-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9297410)
BPA = Biggest Penis Available = Geno Smith

Wow.

FAX 01-08-2013 05:56 PM

Mayhaps many of us are suffering from lingering Dr. Evilism. If Herm can draft, so can Wally.

Besides, every team hits a few and misses some. It just goes with the territory. But, so far as quarterback is concerned, who in their right mind believes that Wally can or be willing to coach a team that has no quarterback? Only guys like Herm and Haley and Roleo can do something like that.

I say we allow the ladies to do the fretting and gnashing of teeth whilst we focus on giving Wally more than two days to organize and prioritize the team needs ... oh, and trapping gophers. Focus on giving Wally more than two days and trapping gophers. But that's it.

FAX

htismaqe 01-08-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297392)
I agree.

So are we. All the more reason to take a QB.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-08-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9297442)
Wow.

ROFL

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 06:32 PM

Source told me that the Chiefs are hammering out an agreement with Dorsey. Pretty sketchy on details, but said this is who Reid wants.

Source cautioned though that Dorsey has a lot of hesitation leaving the Packers.

the Talking Can 01-08-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9297618)
Source told me that the Chiefs are hammering out an agreement with Dorsey. Pretty sketchy on details, but said this is who Reid wants.

Source cautioned though that Dorsey has a lot of hesitation leaving the Packers.

tell him to put his big boy pants on and get to work

Bewbies 01-08-2013 06:35 PM

Wish Pioli had been too scared to leave NE.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-08-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9297626)
tell him to put his big boy pants on and get to work

This.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-08-2013 07:42 PM

My source told me that we might hire him, too.

SAUTO 01-08-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9297860)
My source told me that we might hire him, too.

seriously?
Posted via Mobile Device

RunKC 01-08-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9297618)

I really hope this guy doesn't pull the shit he did with the Seahawks. That would really piss me of.

mnchiefsguy 01-08-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297889)
I really hope this guy doesn't pull the shit he did with the Seahawks. That would really piss me of.

What did he pull with the Seahawks?

SAUTO 01-08-2013 07:58 PM

Went there for a year only, not as GM though
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise 01-08-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9297896)
What did he pull with the Seahawks?

Quote:

Hired as director of player personnel for the Seattle Seahawks on Jan. 26, 1999, as he followed former Packers coach Mike Holmgren to the West Coast, Dorsey resigned that position just over a year later, leaving shortly after the 2000 NFL Draft.

SAUTO 01-08-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9297935)

yeah sounds like he thought he liked Holmgren, then decided he liked green bay more.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 08:04 PM

Andy Reid is Dorsey's best friend. Talk every day.

Have talked for years how they would love to work together again.

It's nearing the finish line. Hopefully he pushes it across.

Sassy Squatch 01-08-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9297959)

Good.

Sassy Squatch 01-08-2013 08:07 PM

Would we announce an agreement with Dorsey as soon as its finalized or wait till Packers are out. If we wait for that thats a long time for him to get cold feet.

Mother****erJones 01-08-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9297959)

Any timetable TBG? End of the week?

Mr_Tomahawk 01-08-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9297996)
Any timetable TBG? End of the week?

Tomorrow.

Mother****erJones 01-08-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9298003)
Tomorrow.

Sarcasm?

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9297967)
Would we announce an agreement with Dorsey as soon as its finalized or wait till Packers are out. If we wait for that thats a long time for him to get cold feet.

They'd announce it immediately.

Doesn't matter since he's not the GM and it wouldn't disturb anything.

Caldwell took the Jags job today and Falcons are still in it.

I'm told this should be done by tomorrow.

O.city 01-08-2013 08:19 PM

TBG, what are you hearing on coordinators fronts?

Mr_Tomahawk 01-08-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9298009)
Sarcasm?

Nope.

Sassy Squatch 01-08-2013 08:20 PM

Excellent. Would MUCH prefer Dorsey to make the call on our DC.

Sassy Squatch 01-08-2013 08:20 PM

This is why working 3rd shift is a bitch. Gobna be looking all night to see if hes in or not.

BigMeatballDave 01-08-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9298010)
They'd announce it immediately.

Doesn't matter since he's not the GM and it wouldn't disturb anything.

Caldwell took the Jags job today and Falcons are still in it.

I'm told this should be done by tomorrow.

Heh, I wonder if Atlanta hires ****stick to fill that position.

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9298020)
Excellent. Would MUCH prefer Dorsey to make the call on our DC.

He's not making that call. That's Pioli stuff.

No HC worth a shit let's the GM tell them what coordinators to pick.

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 08:28 PM

DC's I've heard about:

Kiffin as I've said tons of times on this board in the last week
Jauron
and today Pettine was brought up. He's likely taking the Bills DC job though.

Sassy Squatch 01-08-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9298040)
He's not making that call. That's Pioli stuff.

No HC worth a shit let's the GM tell them what coordinators to pick.

Fine but at least give him advice. Dont want another Castillo incident.

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9298044)
Fine but at least give him advice. Dont want another Castillo incident.

There won't be another Castillo incident.

Although, I think Castillo did a much better job than given credit for.

Castillo is going to be the oline coach.

Mother****erJones 01-08-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9298019)
Nope.

Ok thanks!

Sassy Squatch 01-08-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9298043)
DC's I've heard about:

Jauron

That right there is exactly why. Why in the fjck would we want a 73 year old man who just got ****kng fired by his own son.

O.city 01-08-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

DC's I've heard about:

Jauron

Cool thanks.

Thought I remembered you saying something about Ray Horton the other day?

O.city 01-08-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9298048)
There won't be another Castillo incident.

Although, I think Castillo did a much better job than given credit for.

Castillo is going to be the oline coach.

Saw a tweet today said he wasn't coming here?

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9298051)
Cool thanks.

Thought I remembered you saying something about Ray Horton the other day?

That talk died quick.

Mother****erJones 01-08-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

DC's I've heard about:

Jauron

Ya i seen Bills will likely hire Pettine. What about OC? Personally wouldnt mind Norv Turner

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9298052)
Saw a tweet today said he wasn't coming here?

Haven't seen that.

Just telling you what I'm told. Don't think any of it is gospel but it's been pretty spot on the last week.

Mother****erJones 01-08-2013 08:31 PM

Well I think Castillo will come here