ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Playstation 4 price and Xbox 720 is announced (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272150)

aturnis 11-03-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 10158265)
This is EXACTLY how I feel. Those PS4 exclusives look like shit.

I have mild interest in Titanfall, but only just to see what is all about. The rest of those games I couldn't care less about. Especially the Quantum one and Dead Rising. Quantum looked bad, and Dead Rising, really?

Pants 11-03-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10158329)
I have mild interest in Titanfall, but only just to see what is all about. The rest of those games I couldn't care less about. Especially the Quantum one and Dead Rising. Quantum looked bad, and Dead Rising, really?

To each their own. I understand that a lot of people enjoy Japanese titles. I do not. I also think Quantum Break looks ****ing badass but it's also probably not going to make me buy a system.

Jerm 11-03-2013 11:33 PM

Quantum Break looks absolutely insane IMO and the fact they're combining a TV show to companion it has me intrigued.

Sunset Overdrive looks intriguing as well...make no mistake though, for me it's all about TitanFall.

Pants 11-03-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 10158348)
Quantum Break looks absolutely insane IMO and the fact they're combining a TV show to companion it has me intrigued.

Sunset Overdrive looks intriguing as well...make no mistake though, for me it's all about TitanFall.

Remedy has a history of making breakthroughs in the gaming world. They created bullet time with the original (and still best) Max Payne.

BryanBusby 11-03-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10151770)
I was a PS guy for years so I've used both types. I was not thrilled with the Xbox controllers at first but once I used it for a day or two I couldn't handle going back to the PS.

Who knows. The PS4 controller could be different. I have my doubts, but we'll see. Either way, it's nice to know I can get a 360ish controller for the PS4.

The PS4 controller feels a lot more solid and comfortable in my hands.

It's certainly an improvement over the DS3, but I doubt enough for people that prefer the Xbox controller to change their minds. I'm in the odd boat and actually preferred the original ****ing huge Xbox controller (absolutely hated the black+white buttons on the 360 controller).

Pants 11-03-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 10158356)
The PS4 controller feels a lot more solid and comfortable in my hands.

It's certainly an improvement over the DS3, but I doubt enough for people that prefer the Xbox controller to change their minds. I'm in the odd boat and actually preferred the original ****ing huge Xbox controller (absolutely hated the black+white buttons on the 360 controller).

Black and white buttons were on the 2nd generation controller for the original XBox. They became the bumpers on the 360 controller, IIRC.

BryanBusby 11-03-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 10158373)
Black and white buttons were on the 2nd generation controller for the original XBox. They became the bumpers on the 360 controller, IIRC.

Derp, I have a bad habit of mixing up the S controller with the 360 one.

Basileus777 11-04-2013 02:09 AM

For those who still need a PS4 pre-order, Walmart is selling a bundle again (PS4+game+accessory) for $518 that will ship free on Nov 15th.

Quesadilla Joe 11-04-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

New PS4 Game Footage Too Mighty for Puny YouTube Streaming

A new preview of Killzone: Shadow Fall is out in the wild today. Don't go looking for it on YouTube or any other service, though. Developer Guerilla Games says that streaming just isn't good enough for their shiny next-gen baby. It needs special treatment to be appreciated in all its glory.

You can find multiplayer footage for Shadow Fall here on the Guerilla Games site, along with the advice the devs are recommending for viewing the minute-plus clip the way it should be seen:

Unfortunately, there are limitations to streamed video, and many of the clips and trailers we've released thus far aren't being viewed in the best possible fidelity and framerate.

In order to properly demonstrate the framerate and resolution we achieve in Shadow Fall's multiplayer, we've captured and lightly compressed new footage that we're not offering through a video sharing service. Instead, we ask that you download and locally view the high-resolution, uncompressed footage directly from us.

Please use a video player with hardware acceleration when viewing the footage. We recommend Windows Media Player for Windows users and QuickTime Player for Mac users. Do not use a non-accelerated player (such as VLC Media Player) because the framerate and resolution of this movie are simply too high and will very likely cause choppy playback.

Click here to download the video. (ZIP archive, 541 MB)

The video you just saw has been captured from a multiplayer match on "The Park" (MP08). The map is based on one of the environments you'll encounter in the single player campaign, situated firmly behind enemy lines near the Visari tribute statue.

As you can probably tell from the footage, Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer outputs at a native 1080p, rendering uncapped but always targeting 60fps. We're very pleased with how well the game runs, and we can't wait for you to play it come November 15.

Now, someone will probably upload this somewhere. But, it's 541 MB for 1:14 of console footage, which is the kind of thing that makes you wonder if some kind of shift will have to happen to accommodate all the ramped-up visuals of next-gen games. Having taken a look at it myself, the skirmish does look visually impressive. The image above is a screencap from the video run in Quicktime Player on a Mac.

Mind you, there's nothing from a gameplay design standpoint that makes it look like a big evolutionary leap. But the detail and smoothness on display aren't things that you can deny. Guerilla has traditionally been a studio that's pushed PlayStation hardware to peak performance and it looks like they're well on their way to doing the same here.
http://kotaku.com/new-ps4-game-foota...rea-1458262061

The direct download link for the Killzone video is available in the kotaku article if you want to watch it.

aturnis 11-04-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 10158341)
To each their own. I understand that a lot of people enjoy Japanese titles. I do not. I also think Quantum Break looks ****ing badass but it's also probably not going to make me buy a system.

Don't know what you're talking about with Japanese titles, but whatever.

I just watched the Quantum Break videos again. The trailers look good, so maybe I'll retract my previous statement, but I recall seeing a video with commentary from creators which I thought made it look like it wasn't very well done. Trailers look fine though. They could work on the dialogue and voice acting though.

I still maintain that famed like DR3 and Sunday Overdrive look terrible. King of a GTA one truck point time killer terrible for DR series, and Sunset Overdrive just looks silly and uninteresting.

bishop_74 11-04-2013 07:42 PM

PS4 can't stream media. Seems like a terrible decision.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technol...onsole-2674372

Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One is DLNA compatible and can play CDs and MP3s.

The company confirmed the console's home media functionality in a statement.

A spokesperson said: "Xbox One supports audio CD playback. Xbox One is DLNA compatible and we are working to get certified.

"For MP3s, Xbox One is a PlayTo receiver, so you can stream content from PlayTo supported devices like Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and many Windows Phones.

"Xbox Music will also deliver unlimited ad-free music through a Xbox Music Pass subscription."

This comes after Sony revealed last week that the PlayStation 4 will not be able to stream media from your home network.

This lack of DLNA support means that you cannot use the console for multi-media use in the same way that the PS3 could.

The Verge describe this as "a significant step backwards" for Sony, saying that it's going to cause big issues for many users.

On top of this, the PS4 will not play MP3s or CDs - meaning the only way you can listen to music is with Sony's Music Unlimited service.

Amidst unhappy fans, PlayStation's Head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida tweeted: "Thanks for the feedback to the lack of MP3 and DLNA support at the launch of PS4. I'll share with the PS4 Dev team for future consideration."

The Xbox One is hitting stores on November 22, and will cost £429.

SnakeXJones 11-04-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop_74 (Post 10160591)

Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One is DLNA compatible and can play CDs and MP3s.

A spokesperson said: "Xbox One supports audio CD playback. Xbox One is DLNA compatible and we are working to get certified.

"For MP3s, Xbox One is a PlayTo receiver, so you can stream content from PlayTo supported devices like Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and many Windows Phones.

"Xbox Music will also deliver unlimited ad-free music through a Xbox Music Pass subscription."

This comes after Sony revealed last week that the PlayStation 4 will not be able to stream media from your home network.

This lack of DLNA support means that you cannot use the console for multi-media use in the same way that the PS3 could.

The Verge describe this as "a significant step backwards" for Sony, saying that it's going to cause big issues for many users.

On top of this, the PS4 will not play MP3s or CDs - meaning the only way you can listen to music is with Sony's Music Unlimited service.

Amidst unhappy fans, PlayStation's Head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida tweeted: "Thanks for the feedback to the lack of MP3 and DLNA support at the launch of PS4. I'll share with the PS4 Dev team for future consideration."

Then again who the **** cares about music on any system? I have music on my 360 but never play the shit

Quesadilla Joe 11-04-2013 08:10 PM

<iframe src="http://widgets.ign.com/video/embed/content.html?url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/04/mlb-14-ps3ps4-teaser-trailer" width="468" height="263" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/195d.../ku-xlarge.png

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/195d.../ku-xlarge.png

Mother****erJones 11-04-2013 08:12 PM

Meh, don't need to listen to CDs on ps4

Pants 11-04-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10160379)
Don't know what you're talking about with Japanese titles, but whatever.

Look at the exclusives list KnowMo posted.

Deberg_1990 11-04-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Sounds like Sony is trying to be like Apple. They want this box to be a gateway to subscription services, downloadable pay content, etc.....

That sux

aturnis 11-04-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 10160727)
Meh, don't need to listen to CDs on ps4

What's a CD?

mnchiefsguy 11-04-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Wow...that is a bit surprising. Have a feeling Sony will be reversing itself on that decision down the line. No reason for the PS4 not to do anything that the PS3 currently does.

Nightfyre 11-04-2013 11:30 PM

Is the DLNA support an issue that can be fixed with a simple software patch or would there be a hardware requirement?

BryanBusby 11-05-2013 12:08 AM

That's something that can be fixed with a firmware update.

Gravedigger 11-05-2013 12:42 AM

I don't know why people bring up the DLNA thing. I only played games listening to music one time back when Tony Hawk was popular because I got tired of listening to the same punk track over and over again.

I'm getting an Xbox One and I won't be listening to one single MP3 on it.

Quesadilla Joe 11-05-2013 12:44 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RvBwuzdatrc?list=UUQXR8pItAoKDAJSbphFxbrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty cool that this is free for all PS+ members, I really liked Super Stardust HD.

007 11-05-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Disappointing about the DNLA but not that big of a deal. I really don't stream much from my network anyway and the stuff I do can go straight to my media TV if I must.

I am surprised they would take such a simple feature away though.

Valiant 11-05-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10161626)
Disappointing about the DNLA but not that big of a deal. I really don't stream much from my network anyway and the stuff I do can go straight to my media TV if I must.

I am surprised they would take such a simple feature away though.

They want to drive traffic to their cloud services. And get people to spend money on micro transactions.

Buck 11-05-2013 11:37 AM

Didn't Sony already announce they are going to implement that stuff because people were upset with them?

Mr. Plow 11-05-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10162379)
Didn't Sony already announce they are going to implement that stuff because people were upset with them?

Don't know. Date of that article is 11/4.

SuperChief 11-05-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Dumbass (Post 10161617)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RvBwuzdatrc?list=UUQXR8pItAoKDAJSbphFxbrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty cool that this is free for all PS+ members, I really liked Super Stardust HD.

To each their own and all, but this looks like it'd be fun for about 10 minutes.

Buck 11-05-2013 12:03 PM

I guess this is what I saw.

http://i.imgur.com/ofv7DJl.jpg

Mr. Plow 11-05-2013 12:09 PM

I'm sure they'll add it in down the road. No reason not too.

L.A. Chieffan 11-05-2013 01:07 PM

No DLNA? Huge fail. I use it on a daily basis with my PS3. The One just took a huge step up

Quesadilla Joe 11-05-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 10162421)
To each their own and all, but this looks like it'd be fun for about 10 minutes.

Yeah it's not something you play a lot. The only replayability a game like this has is seeing how high of a score you can get on the leaderboard.

Mr. Plow 11-05-2013 02:52 PM

LMAO

http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/11/4...893a728557.jpg

Nightfyre 11-05-2013 06:14 PM

While gameplay is obviously the most important factor, why even release a next gen console if you are not going to bring improved graphics to the table? Launch releases can't even be run in 1080? really?

007 11-05-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10163417)
While gameplay is obviously the most important factor, why even release a next gen console if you are not going to bring improved graphics to the table? Launch releases can't even be run in 1080? really?

yeah, that seemed odd to me as well. Just looking at the games I'm not seeing dome gigantic improvement in quality. Games look good but seems like they could have been just fine on the current gen too.

Pants 11-05-2013 06:30 PM

Resolution is just a tiny part of the graphics equation. I think those who've played a PC game in the last 5 years probably know what I mean. Next gen graphics are not about resolution, they are about a stable frame rate with decent anti-aliasing, FXAA, anisotropic filtering, HDR lighting, ambient occlusion, texture and shadow detail and bunch of other shit. All of that plays into how good a game looks.

Shit, 1920x1080 resolution gaming has been out for years on PCs... that by itself doesn't mean much and isn't even considered high end when it comes to resolutions.

BF3, for example, looked and ran like shit on current gen consoles compared to what the PC crowd was getting. I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised at how good these new gen games are going to look compared to their current gen counterparts.

Gravedigger 11-05-2013 06:46 PM

Also you have to take not only the pricing model for hardware for these systems. It costs these companies, with their discounts, probably $300 to build each system, probably more like $350. Alot of people say, "You can build a PC like that for ~600-700. Consoles are weak!" Well, yeah you could, but these companies have to make money on the system, even if it's just a little bit. You don't want to be like the Wii U and lose money right out the gate.

Basically Xbox said that they thought their hardware was worth $500 with Kinect. Sony lowballed them and said, "We're going to cut our price down, get out of the gate fast, and basically flip the tables on you and take a little less money per system in the process in order to do it." Xbox was obviously taken back and knew that they had screwed up. They've done almost everything possible outside of not including the Kinect in the bundle and they're still behind by many reports. What PS4 did was genius for the beginning of the console war, but now they have to sustain it to keep up above Microsoft.

The reason we buy home consoles instead of PC's will always be because of the titles and what our friends play on. Until you see all Halo games and Uncharted games coming out for PC's, there will always be a need for consoles. It's the reason why Nintendo will be in business for many years to come because they have a huge pile of money, their handhelds sell surprisingly well, and they have Zelda, Mario, and Metroid in their back pockets.

Pants 11-05-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 10163491)
Also you have to take not only the pricing model for hardware for these systems. It costs these companies, with their discounts, probably $300 to build each system, probably more like $350. Alot of people say, "You can build a PC like that for ~600-700. Consoles are weak!" Well, yeah you could, but these companies have to make money on the system, even if it's just a little bit. You don't want to be like the Wii U and lose money right out the gate.

Basically Xbox said that they thought their hardware was worth $500 with Kinect. Sony lowballed them and said, "We're going to cut our price down, get out of the gate fast, and basically flip the tables on you and take a little less money per system in the process in order to do it." Xbox was obviously taken back and knew that they had screwed up. They've done almost everything possible outside of not including the Kinect in the bundle and they're still behind by many reports. What PS4 did was genius for the beginning of the console war, but now they have to sustain it to keep up above Microsoft.

The reason we buy home consoles instead of PC's will always be because of the titles and what our friends play on. Until you see all Halo games and Uncharted games coming out for PC's, there will always be a need for consoles. It's the reason why Nintendo will be in business for many years to come because they have a huge pile of money, their handhelds sell surprisingly well, and they have Zelda, Mario, and Metroid in their back pockets.

I think most of the money is made on licensing fees, peripherals and online services.

Also, if you're referring to my post, it had nothing to do with PC vs console. I was merely trying to depict the various elements of graphic quality.

Jerm 11-05-2013 06:56 PM

After seeing The Show...I'm swinging back towards getting a PS4. Man I'm indecisive lol....

I ****ed up by not pre ordering one...hoping I'll be able to pick one up at Wal Mart ok launch night.

aturnis 11-05-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 10163519)
After seeing The Show...I'm swinging back towards getting a PS4. Man I'm indecisive lol....

I ****ed up by not pre ordering one...hoping I'll be able to pick one up at Wal Mart ok launch night.

Just preorder one. There are a number of retailers with progress available.

New World Order 11-05-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10163428)
yeah, that seemed odd to me as well. Just looking at the games I'm not seeing dome gigantic improvement in quality. Games look good but seems like they could have been just fine on the current gen too.

The time for consoles (and pcs) to have huge leaps of improvement every generation is over. It's not going to look much better than it is now for a long long time.

007 11-05-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 10163564)
The time for consoles (and pcs) to have huge leaps of improvement every generation is over. It's not going to look much better than it is now for a long long time.

Until it is an implant in your head that allows you to play games directly in your brain. Virtual Reality!!!

Deberg_1990 11-05-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 10163564)

Yea the technology leap from the original XBox and PS2 to the current generations was enormous. It's why the systems lasted so long. 8 years.

The leap from the 360 and PS3 to this new generation isn't nearly as big.

Rausch 11-05-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10163575)
Yea the technology leap from the original XBox and PS2 to the current generations was enormous. It's why the systems lasted so long. 8 years.

The leap from the 360 and PS3 to this new generation isn't nearly as big.

Which is odd.

On top of that cloud gaming and a bigger shift to online games means years long replay value is out the window.

I still play a few PS1/PS2 games every now and again. With the next gen most the gameplay is on line and for a lot of games the main game itself is just a long tutorial and practice session for online.

Which means in 2 or 3 years after the next thing comes out and traffic drops that game is worthless...

Jerm 11-05-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10163560)
Just preorder one. There are a number of retailers with progress available.

Been looking for any online and I can't find any...even Amazon is sold out of the ones due around the first of the year.

Gravedigger 11-05-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 10163613)
Been looking for any online and I can't find any...even Amazon is sold out of the ones due around the first of the year.

WalMart still out of their PS4 bundles?

Jerm 11-05-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 10163697)
WalMart still out of their PS4 bundles?

Yup I'm thinking online is toast for the foreseeable future...

Gravedigger 11-05-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10163597)
Which is odd.

On top of that cloud gaming and a bigger shift to online games means years long replay value is out the window.

I still play a few PS1/PS2 games every now and again. With the next gen most the gameplay is on line and for a lot of games the main game itself is just a long tutorial and practice session for online.

Which means in 2 or 3 years after the next thing comes out and traffic drops that game is worthless...

What's odd is the jump in HD space for me. If we're supposed to be going to this digital life, and these systems can house basically any digital medium out there, then how do they expect us to keep all these games on our HD when they're each ~ 50G. Then coming out with a report that atm PS4 doesn't support external storage, just kind of a headscratcher considering you can get a 2TB HD for nothing nowadays.

Mr. Plow 11-05-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 10163712)
What's odd is the jump in HD space for me. If we're supposed to be going to this digital life, and these systems can house basically any digital medium out there, then how do they expect us to keep all these games on our HD when they're each ~ 50G. Then coming out with a report that atm PS4 doesn't support external storage, just kind of a headscratcher considering you can get a 2TB HD for nothing nowadays.

I would guess they - or at least MS will - is going to push more for cloud storage.

Gravedigger 11-05-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10163717)
I would guess they - or at least MS will - is going to push more for cloud storage.

Good point, how could I forget about the cloud. That makes a ton of sense considering SSD are the future for HD's and they are expensive as hell compared to a 7200 RPM Seagate or similar.

Mr. Plow 11-05-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 10163727)
Good point, how could I forget about the cloud. That makes a ton of sense considering SSD are the future for HD's and they are expensive as hell compared to a 7200 RPM Seagate or similar.

Don't get me wrong, I understand. It's baffled me how MS could charge so damn much for a 100GB HDD yet you can go out and get one for so cheap. But, cloud storage is the way for everything. Everything has to be accessible to you everywhere you are no matter what you are on or what you are doing.

No you can't leave your video games at home. Take them with you damnit.

Nightfyre 11-05-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

MLB 14 the show and Killzone are two that swing it for me... That killzone gameplay video looks PHENOMENAL...

bishop_74 11-05-2013 10:59 PM

More interesting info.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...nes-resolution

The Kinect is the anchor that sinks the Xbox One’s resolution
Published on November 5th, 2013

As the new consoles quickly approach, individual big-budget games are receiving their customary multiplatform comparisons. A continuing trend among the few next-gen multiplatform game comparisons you may have noticed is that the Xbox One outputs natively in 720p, while the PS4 outputs in either 1080p or 900p. The reason for this may surprise you.

While it’s nice to know which game will perform and look better on next-gen consoles, consistent trends among the different comparisons reveal more than just which console runs each game best. They also reveal underlying traits of the consoles themselves. Recently, an internet ruckus was caused when the folks over at Digital Foundry did their usual in-depth comparison of Battlefield 4 for the PS4 and Xbox One. They found that the Xbox One version natively output at 720p and upscaled to 1080p, while the PS4 version natively output at the higher resolution of 900p and upscaled to 1080p. The result of this was that the Xbox One version was more aliased; Digital Foundry also found that, overall, the PS4 version of the game performed a little better. Then, word broke that the upcoming Call of Duty: Ghosts would also natively output at 720p on the Xbox One, while the PS4 would natively output at 1080p. Mark Rubin, Infinity Ward developer, noted that in order to get the game running at 60fps on the Xbox One, it would have to output at the lower 720p.

This, of course, paints the Xbox One as an underpowered console, and while that may be the case (if only slightly), that doesn’t mean it’s so underpowered that it can’t handle a native output of 1080p running at 60 fps. In response to the internet ruckus, Digital Foundry dove back into the Xbox One and found that, actually, the console is powerful enough to reach that output and frames-per-second, but the Kinect is actually sapping the power the console needs in order to reach that desired output.

Around 10% of the Xbox One’s GPU time is dedicated to functions on the operating system level, particularly Kinect tracking. This percentage of GPU resources is inaccessible to developers. So, it’s not that the Xbox One is significantly underpowered, it’s that developers cannot use the whole of the console’s resources because they’re reserved for functions other than games.

In modern times, we don’t really have dedicated devices anymore. We use our phones for just about everything — reading, gaming, music, TV and movies, and even (surprisingly!) making phone calls sometimes. Our PS3 and Xbox 360 are our primary Netflix machines, and even our PS Vita and Nintendo 3DS have non-gaming, media-focused apps. So, Microsoft isn’t exactly in the wrong for wanting to shore up its next-gen console’s non-gaming capabilities.

However, in the long run, when the Kinect is inevitably underused for gaming and UI and is primarily relegated to being a voice-activated power button, that reserved 10% will come back and bite Microsoft in the butt. This will especially be the case when we get further into the PS4′s lifecycle, and the games begin to look much better than they did at launch. Microsoft could eventually relent on their Kinect initiative and maneuver those 10% of resources back into the hands of game developers.

As we saw with the PS3 and Xbox 360 generation, though, even when a console is underpowered and a pain to develop for, developers eventually find their stride and the console catches up — as the PS3 did with the Xbox 360, both in terms of quality titles and overall sales. Until then, these comparisons where the PS4 performs better than the Xbox One should become the norm.

Quesadilla Joe 11-06-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

The upcoming multiplatform video game, “Destiny,” may not look the same on the PS4 and Xbox One. According to a report by Gear Nuke on Nov. 3, a tester who got to play an alpha version of the shared-world shooter disclosed that the multiplatform video game has better graphics on Sony’s new console when compared to Microsoft’s next-generation system.

The individual stated that the PS4 version of “Destiny” looks sharper than the Xbox One iteration, suggesting that the video game will have resolution differences between the two platforms. He also hinted that players will be able to spot the disparity with the upcoming multiplayer beta as the development team at Bungie is unlikely to make any major visual changes to the build.
http://www.examiner.com/article/dest...erences-hinted

BryanBusby 11-06-2013 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10163428)

You're not going to see much of a difference with first generation games. A majority of your early life titles will either be ports off of the 360/ps3 or 360/ps3 games that were converted into a new system title.

The difference will be very noticeable when games are designed specifically for the new consoles and developers have mastered the devkits.

Quote:

Walmart will certainly have consoles available for people that didn't pre-order. Just ask someone with a clue in electronics (I wish you luck with this) how many of the PS4's they are receiving will be held back for non pre-orders. Beyond that, be prepared to spend about 6 or so hours camping.

Sony seems to be ontop of things when it comes to stock, but I think the demand is still going to outpace it.

Anyong Bluth 11-06-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10163417)

Why not 4k capable- sets are coming out now. The damn Galaxy Note 3- a phone can already record video in 4k.

In about 2 years the price point for the tvs will be the option people buying new tvs will be looking at, and some content creators are already using 4k for projects so they have that resolution format available when it becomes more widely available- just like HD, DVD, and Blu Ray.

Also, if you sit at least 10 feet from the screen and don't have a tv over 50 inches, 720 and 1080 is not perceptibly different to the human eye- the scale goes inward and it's like at 8 feet and a 42 or 46 inch screen and so on and so on.
Most people this would apply to for normal watching habits, but gamers might have a tendency to sit close to their screen? And, we all know lcd, led, plasma unless it's made for use as a computer screen (different standard and quite a bit more expensive) that at close range the picture looks like crap.
Just another reason why I think the 4 and xbone will end up being updated / replaced in like 5 years.

On a side note: I was reading about 4k video and all, and my biggest question is delivery. A movie on blu ray if it was in 4k would take 200 discs to fit it all, and even the newest lossless compression standard for blu ray 8xDD would still need 50 blu ray disc for comparative data capacity needs.

Mr. Plow 11-06-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10164825)
Just another reason why I think the 4 and xbone will end up being updated / replaced in like 5 years.

I agree. I think that both PS & MS have an idea of what they REALLY want their consoles to be down the road and these versions are just stepping stones. Hell, MS was taking a bigger step initially, but everyone whined about the changes so they pulled everything they could. We ended up with what is basically a battle between the PS3 version 2.0 & the Xbox 360 version 2.0.

GordonGekko 11-06-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Dumbass (Post 10164661)

This is one of just many of the reasons why the PS4 appears so much better. Microsoft really disappointed me when I found out their system was so underpowered compared to the PS4. Add to that the fact that the X1 is physically larger you'd think they'd of put an extra set of cpu's or another gpu in there.

Windows 8 = disappointment
Surface = mild disappointment
Xbox One = underwhelming thus far

GordonGekko 11-06-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10164825)

Four years would be ideal, and would really push gaming to another level, unlike the current gen which has lasted 3-4 years too long and evolution in gaming has been handicapped in that amount of time due to power and graphics limitations. We get entirely new generations of phones every 8-12 months, why can't we get new consoles every 4 years?

Anyong Bluth 11-06-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10164845)
I agree. I think that both PS & MS have an idea of what they REALLY want their consoles to be down the road and these versions are just stepping stones. Hell, MS was taking a bigger step initially, but everyone whined about the changes so they pulled everything they could. We ended up with what is basically a battle between the PS3 version 2.0 & the Xbox 360 version 2.0.

Yep its like they updated this last version to the SLIM, and in terms of this update its like SLIM 2.0.

Or to carry over from another popular tech item. This is the same as the iphone "S" update. Not the iphone 6 - just the 5S.

WhiteWhale 11-06-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 10164870)
Four years would be ideal, and would really push gaming to another level, unlike the current gen which has lasted 3-4 years too long and evolution in gaming has been handicapped in that amount of time due to power and graphics limitations. We get entirely new generations of phones every 8-12 months, why can't we get new consoles every 4 years?

It takes 4 years before any system has a legit library of games.

There are also multiple reasons this isn't fiscally viable.

Mr. Plow 11-06-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10164875)
Yep its like they updated this last version to the SLIM, and in terms of this update its like SLIM 2.0.

Or to carry over from another popular tech item. This is the same as the iphone "S" update. Not the iphone 6 - just the 5S.

That is a perfect example.

GordonGekko 11-06-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10164890)
It takes 4 years before any system has a legit library of games.

There are also multiple reasons this isn't fiscally viable.

Great point.

I guess the only way that the 8+ year cycle will end is if another viable competitor smashes in with a next gen system in the middle of the traditional Sony/Microsoft cycle (Apple anyone?).

Jerm 11-06-2013 10:49 AM

Found out my Wal Mart is getting extra PS4s in for launch...looks like my ass will be out there early Thursday.

Lzen 11-07-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10162836)

:LOL:

Sure-Oz 11-07-2013 11:34 AM

What ps4 launch title to buy?

Lzen 11-07-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 10092937)
I played one game on Madden today for the first time in years... it plays like shit and is basically the same as I remember from about 4 or 5 years ago.

It always gets me when people make statements like this. You're entitled to your opinion but Madden now is NOT the same as it was 4-5 years ago. This comment about Madden being the same is completely untrue. Sure, there are similarities as should be expect but the game plays a lot different and, for the most part, is better.

New World Order 11-10-2013 01:49 AM

So ps4 finally has party chat? Welcome to 2005.

kcxiv 11-10-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 10167530)
It always gets me when people make statements like this. You're entitled to your opinion but Madden now is NOT the same as it was 4-5 years ago. This comment about Madden being the same is completely untrue. Sure, there are similarities as should be expect but the game plays a lot different and, for the most part, is better.

That's not what reviews say, its not what my old football gaming friends say. Not what I read a lot on forums. Consensus is this years game got worse for some reason. Ea is lazy with football games.

A huge tell is the next gen games look at how much data ea is using on madden and FIFA then look at how much 2K is using for NBA. It indicates that one company is putting a ****ton more effort into their games.

The shit 2k is doing with NBA 2K next gen is pretty impressive. Then again they were always known for their miles ahead presentation.

kcxiv 11-10-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 10165180)
Found out my Wal Mart is getting extra PS4s in for launch...looks like my ass will be out there early Thursday.

I'm going to wait til next year sometime. Hopefully by the summer. Unless I get I need it now feeling lol

Sure-Oz 11-10-2013 06:36 AM

What ps4 game to buy? Kill zone and nba2k14 look great. Madden I'm always skeptical.

Saulbadguy 11-10-2013 07:45 AM

I'm buying "Knack" for PS4. None of the other launch titles looked interesting to me.

BryanBusby 11-10-2013 07:58 AM

Looks like Sony is looking into the DLNA thing.

http://i.imgur.com/9EV87AN.jpg

Jerm 11-10-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10173289)
What ps4 game to buy? Kill zone and nba2k14 look great. Madden I'm always skeptical.

At launch I'm picking up BF4, NBA 2k14, and Black Flag...will be picking up Minecraft too as I believe it's available at launch.

Can't wait to play Resogun too...

Deberg_1990 11-10-2013 09:05 AM

So, just curious......did anyone buy a PS3 or 360 back in 2005 when they first launched and you still have your original working box?

aturnis 11-10-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10173435)
So, just curious......did anyone buy a PS3 or 360 back in 2005 when they first launched and you still have your original working box?

Yup. Lots of guys on here seem to still have their original 60GB backward compatible PS3. Including me.

hometeam 11-10-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 10165160)
Great point.

I guess the only way that the 8+ year cycle will end is if another viable competitor smashes in with a next gen system in the middle of the traditional Sony/Microsoft cycle (Apple anyone?).

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

welcome to the future

SAUTO 11-10-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10173581)

I'm not clicking on a link to a carpet cleaner
Posted via Mobile Device

hometeam 11-10-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10173590)
I'm not clicking on a link to a carpet cleaner
Posted via Mobile Device

The only thing it cleans is the slate, when you are talking about 'what is a console'

Kidd Lex 11-10-2013 10:32 AM

Heads up...target has buy 2 get 1 free on games from today through the 16th. Includes ps4/xbox1.

Mr. Plow 11-10-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10173435)

I had my original 360 up to about a year & a half ago. The disc reader finally gave in and I got a slim.