ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Living in Phoenix Arizona (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283646)

TambaBerry 07-26-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10769276)
Come on in, the waters fine. Move in September, it'll start to cool off soon after and you'll ease into Valley living with the finest weather around...

Probably be October, I have a standing offer we have some stuff we have to take care of here first.

vailpass 07-26-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingleberry (Post 10769315)
Probably be October, I have a standing offer we have some stuff we have to take care of here first.

Perfect. Trick or treating in shorts is just as God intended it to be...

lewdog 07-26-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10769430)
Perfect. Trick or treating in shorts is just as God intended it to be...

October 31st is the sign that cooler weather is here to stay. I absolutely love the end of October and early November. I moved twice in May since being here and that absolutely sucks.

Why Not? 07-26-2014 10:20 PM

Oct-April there's no better place to live

Strongside 07-26-2014 10:25 PM

Growing up in ks, i didn't much like my3 years in Phoenix. The smell of fresh cut grass and the sound of crickets were a luxury. It was like moving to mars. Glad to be back home.

Why Not? 07-26-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10769576)
Growing up in ks, i didn't much like my3 years in Phoenix. The smell of fresh cut grass and the sound of crickets were a luxury. It was like moving to mars. Glad to be back home.

To each his own. Thank God we all don't want to live in the same place.

vailpass 07-26-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10769578)
To each his own. Thank God we all don't want to live in the same place.

Yep. I know what he means though, some of my friends from Iowa say the same. Unless they visit during winter.I like fresh cut grass too, also love the smell of orange blossoms. It's quarter to ten and 101 degrees right now, that takes some adjustment...

Chiefs Pantalones 07-26-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10769576)

We can't wait to move back to KC for this and many more reasons. Miss the grass, water lol, etc. To each their own though for sure. When I see Phoenix I think of a city that was wiped out by a fire and no grass or anything ever grew back. I love the heat but growing up in four season weather makes you miss the seasons.

TambaBerry 07-26-2014 10:59 PM

Everything was so clean, barely any construction, the heat felt good not sticky like Kansas, I also like the way the houses look, never have to deal with snow or cold, I will miss grass, and green in general but I think for me the trade off is pretty easy.

TambaBerry 07-26-2014 11:03 PM

Oh and no bugs like we have here was awesome, also since I came back I can't stop sneezing, also when I was in Arizona I felt great clear nose , I could breath.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-26-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingleberry (Post 10769606)
Everything was so clean, barely any construction, the heat felt good not sticky like Kansas, I also like the way the houses look, never have to deal with snow or cold, I will miss grass, and green in general but I think for me the trade off is pretty easy.

I hate being away from my teams as well. With my wife and I having our first kid and sports being a big part of our lives we want them to have that joy of going to the games, etc. Nothing like taking your family to the games, etc. Our teams.

This isn't breaking news but Arizona is a sports ghost town; graveyard. Awful state for sports.

lewdog 07-26-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10769616)
I hate being away from my teams as well. With my wife and I having our first kid and sports being a big part of our lives we want them to have that joy of going to the games, etc. Nothing like taking your family to the games, etc. Our teams.

This isn't breaking news but Arizona is a sports ghost town; graveyard. Awful state for sports.

That'd be a great argument if you rooted for like the New England teams but you're going to raise you child as a Chiefs/Royals fan. ROFL

lewdog 07-26-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingleberry (Post 10769606)

I hate maintaining grass so much that in a few months we are tearing out all the sod in the backyard! Not having the green is weird but I love the bush/tree/cactus vegetation here. We have 16 plants in out front yard and while planted in gravel, I think it's nice to look at. Definitely less maintenance on the outside of a house here. I hated mowing weekly everywhere else I lived.

But it's a give or take anywhere. While I love the Chiefs/Royals and KC in general, I couldn't live there with that humidity.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-26-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10769620)
That'd be a great argument if you rooted for like the New England teams but you're going to raise you child as a Chiefs/Royals fan. ROFL

Lol it might not be a big deal for some but I don't like being in a place where my teams don't reside. I thought I could do it with the job I took but I was wrong. Born and raised in KC I miss not only the place itself but being able to see my family and my teams at the drop of a dime. It was cool to see a whole different world though as Strongside said it's been like Mars here lol. The only thing enticing about Phoenix is the weather. Love hot weather.

By the way, it's weird seeing people wearing AZ Cards shirts with insert any other team hat on. It's super bandwagon here. Just the other day I saw a guy wearing a Fitzgerald jersey with a Seahawks hat on. WTF? It's like Mars lol.

eDave 07-26-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10769537)
October 31st is the sign that cooler weather is here to stay. I absolutely love the end of October and early November. I moved twice in May since being here and that absolutely sucks.

Dude. I moved TODAY and tomorrow. I'm sporting a nice migraine at the moment. Nearly impossible to keep hydrated enough.

Moved back to Ahwatukee for a bit.

First time I went back to visit KC after moving out here, I was struck at how GREEN KC is. It was so vivid.

Why Not? 07-27-2014 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10769616)

Got it dude, you hate Phoenix.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-27-2014 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10769661)
Got it dude, you hate Phoenix.

Lol I don't hate it, it's just not my thing. I see why people like it.

TambaBerry 07-27-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10769665)
Lol I don't hate it, it's just not my thing. I see why people like it.

Ya, I'm not at all questioning you about it. You tried it and didn't like it. I could feel exactly the same when we move down there.

Hootie 07-27-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10626395)
Kudos to you. I'm thinking about buying a home in Vegas, and because I'm lazy, the lack of doing any yard work of any kind is really appealing to me. Make sure you get really really good ****ing windows though.

want a roommate?

lewdog 07-27-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 10769633)
Dude. I moved TODAY and tomorrow. I'm sporting a nice migraine at the moment. Nearly impossible to keep hydrated enough.

Moved back to Ahwatukee for a bit.

First time I went back to visit KC after moving out here, I was struck at how GREEN KC is. It was so vivid.

I thought you were moving out of Phoenix completely?

TambaBerry 07-27-2014 12:21 PM

What do you guys pay for utilities? What kind of tv providers are out there?

lewdog 07-27-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingleberry (Post 10770272)
What do you guys pay for utilities? What kind of tv providers are out there?

Utilities are very hard to compare. It will depend on your house sq/ft, one or two story home, how high you keep your AC, the amount of vegetation or pool usage for water. I have solar on my house so my electric bills range anywhere from $20 to $120 (current bill for July) but most houses our size would easily be $300+ this time of year for electric only. SRP has better rates for electricity but you can't choose your provider and the majority in Phoenix have APS with higher rates. Our house is single store 2300 sg/ft. Gas ranges $25-75 which runs hot water and heat in winter. My Water bill is $55-90 and that's with a pool and drip system for about 20 plants and no grass.

I have DTV so I can see the Chiefs. I go with Cox for internet. Other options are Cox or Century link for internet/TV. Dish Network obviously as well.

Why Not? 07-27-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10770341)
Utilities are very hard to compare. It will depend on your house sq/ft, one or two story home, how high you keep your AC, the amount of vegetation or pool usage for water. I have solar on my house so my electric bills range anywhere from $20 to $120 (current bill for July) but most houses our size would easily be $300+ this time of year for electric only. SRP has better rates for electricity but you can't choose your provider and the majority in Phoenix have APS with higher rates. Our house is single store 2300 sg/ft. Gas ranges $25-75 which runs hot water and heat in winter. My Water bill is $55-90 and that's with a pool and drip system for about 20 plants and no grass.

I have DTV so I can see the Chiefs. I go with Cox for internet. Other options are Cox or Century link for internet/TV. Dish Network obviously as well.

House is right at about 2,000 sq ft with a pool and lots of electricity used and we almost never top $300. APS and I think SRP both have plans that allow you to save $ if you run your major stuff during off peak hours(noon-7 are considered peak)so we just run our big stuff at night. Keep the ac between 76-78 during the day(78 when it's 110 outside feels like a freezer)and we're good. Pay almost nothing for water and I'm with Lewdog, gotta go DTV for Chiefs games

Why Not? 07-27-2014 01:04 PM

Hey Lewdog, do you like solar? I've been thinking about it but I don't want to pay the $20,000 upfront and the monthly lease payments seem like they neutralize the electric bill savings?

lewdog 07-27-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10770355)
House is right at about 2,000 sq ft with a pool and lots of electricity used and we almost never top $300. APS and I think SRP both have plans that allow you to save $ if you run your major stuff during off peak hours(noon-7 are considered peak)so we just run our big stuff at night. Keep the ac between 76-78 during the day(78 when it's 110 outside feels like a freezer)and we're good. Pay almost nothing for water and I'm with Lewdog, gotta go DTV for Chiefs games

Even with on/off peak in our rentals were were close to $300 in the hot months for 1500 sq/ft and no pool. And we only did stuff at night. Maybe those houses just weren't well constructed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10770364)
Hey Lewdog, do you like solar? I've been thinking about it but I don't want to pay the $20,000 upfront and the monthly lease payments seem like they neutralize the electric bill savings?

House had solar on it already so in order to buy the house we had to accept the solar. We didn't have to put any money down on it and lease is good for another 18 years. You definitely come out more ahead if you can purchase the panels but most don't want the up front cost or responsibility of maintenance. Lease does cost you more in the long run but you aren't responsible if the system breaks down and no up front expense. I say we still save roughly $40-50 a month with our lease and electric bill compared to my estimated without it. Not as much as some people think but still coming out ahead. Leases are getting worse and worse though with APS trying to level higher rates and taxes for those acquiring systems. Those who started leases for solar 3-4 years ago when rates were awesome, are coming out way ahead.

Another great thing is the Kwh roll over. We still go on/off peak plan with solar and we currently have a 1600 kWh credit for on peak usage, meaning I can run the AC cooler, do laundry and run pool pump on peak as we aren't even close to being charged as they use our credit hours first. So I've paid $0 in on peak electricity usage the entire year! Last month our off peak electricity we used, that the solar didn't generate, was 1000 kWh. That's a whopping $35 spent on electricity for us for July in Phoenix! It's APS stupid fees that cause our bill to be $120 last month! June was only $50 though. Solar lease is $131. So last month was total of $250 spent on solar/APS with 2300 sq/ft house, pool pump 12 hours a day, AC at 78-80 degrees when home and 75 degrees at night. So I think my estimate of saving about $50 last month is pretty accurate.

We get paid out $.03 for any kWh credit we have left at the end of the year. And we will definitely have on peak credit at the end of the year topping easily 2000 kWh.

BWillie 07-27-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 10769825)
want a roommate?

I will need one actually

eDave 07-27-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10769860)
I thought you were moving out of Phoenix completely?

Delayed. Fiance's mother is out of here soon so we are staying and moving closer.

lewdog 07-27-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 10770750)
Delayed. Fiance's mother is out of here soon so we are staying and moving closer.

Don't do it man. End it now. Marriage ain't worth it!

lewdog 08-03-2014 05:32 PM

Dingleberry, get down here! I'll be at the Tuesday and Wednesday games.

eDave 08-03-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10771145)
Don't do it man. End it now. Marriage ain't worth it!

I've been putting it off for 8 years now...

Great being back in Ahwatukee though.

Hey Dingleberry, can't believe you are choosing Gilbert. Bland.

TambaBerry 08-03-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10792538)
Dingleberry, get down here! I'll be at the Tuesday and Wednesday games.

If I was I'd go with you, we can hit up spring training next year.