ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Ed Harris takes Top villain role in HBOs "Westworld" reboot (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285622)

listopencil 11-14-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12554006)
Oh shit I never thought of that. Good theory.

Another one could be to bring world leaders and influential people into the park to be replaced.

Buck 11-14-2016 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12554021)
Another one could be to bring world leaders and influential people into the park to be replaced.

Shit there's another solid theory.

Buck 11-14-2016 01:19 AM

Rewatching episode. I just realized that a lot, if not most of the episodes have begun with Hosts waking up. This episode began with Bernard waking up. Should have seen that.

listopencil 11-14-2016 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12554030)
Shit there's another solid theory.

There is a certain balance to it. It was interesting to me that Ford and the rep from corporate both said 'blood sacrifice.' Makes me think that Ford and corporate are working together more closely than has been hinted at so far, coupled with the speech he gave about the relationship he has with them. Perhaps the worry about lost code if Ford goes renegade is a bullshit cover story. Perhaps they just don't want anyone to find out what Ford is really doing.

listopencil 11-14-2016 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12554032)
Rewatching episode. I just realized that a lot, if not most of the episodes have begun with Hosts waking up. This episode began with Bernard waking up. Should have seen that.

The thought popped into my head as soon as Bernard realized that he was dreaming but it was confirmed with 'What door?'

Buck 11-14-2016 01:36 AM

I don't know if you heard about this, but production in this show stopped mid-season "to give the writers more time to write the last 4 episodes." This was the 4th from last episode.

I'm wondering if HBO execs just didn't like what was already written or if they legit didn't have full story flushed out. I'm glad they took the time though because that was a really good episode.

RINGLEADER 11-14-2016 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 12553726)
I ****IN KNEW IT

You knew (and I think I may have posted) after the first episode, with the head fake they do to introduce Ed Harris, that they would go here but they did it a way that was genuinely surprising. Well done.

I still vote for Ed Harris being related to Arnold in some way -- the idea that the brains are more complex via the lobotomy scene again leads me to believe that Arnold uploaded himself into one of the hosts...

listopencil 11-14-2016 02:27 AM

Another odd thing that keeps sticking in my head. Well, two things:

Theresa asks if Ford had Bernard kill Arnold. Ford says something like 'Oh, no. You weren't around back then-were you, Bernard?' Bernard doesn't reply. So...either that's true and Bernard is not a manifestation of Arnold, or Ford was ****ing with him because he just found out he's a host and it's still possible. I would believe either one. Remember that Bernard always says he's been around forever.

Dolores wakes up and creates a landscape drawing. She says that it's the first time that she has created art from within her rather than merely copying what she sees. Later, it is apparently shown that the picture she created is based on a landscape that actually exists. And the picture was done from a specific point of view. To me this means that the flashes that show her journey to be repetitive are flashes back to events from before William was there. So, no multiple timelines. It seems more like she was involved with an event with the MiB some time ago before William visited the park.

listopencil 11-14-2016 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12527748)
Here is something kind of fun from the wiki page on the original Westworld movie:

The technicians running Delos notice problems beginning to spread like an infection among the androids: the robots in Roman World and Medieval World begin experiencing an increasing number of breakdowns and systemic failures, which are said to have spread to West World. When one of the supervising computer scientists scoffs at the "analogy of an infectious disease," he is told by the Chief Supervisor (Alan Oppenheimer), "We aren't dealing with ordinary machines here. These are highly complicated pieces of equipment, almost as complicated as living organisms. In some cases, they've been designed by other computers. We don't know exactly how they work."

They had this moment in the episode tonight. Ford said that they don't really understand how the hosts work. I think he was saying because even he doesn't understand exactly what Arnold did, I don't recall it that specifically.

notorious 11-14-2016 08:09 AM

Benard was a real man before. He got killed because he knew too much and was replaced by a machine that downloaded his "essence" or memories.

When the woman got murdered by Benard, the camera showed her replacement being made. The perfect murder can be pulled off when the dead person never goes missing.

notorious 11-14-2016 08:12 AM

And I just read that Buck thinks the same thing.

Good work. ;)

Discuss Thrower 11-14-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12554032)

And he was awakened by a nightmare.

Bowser 11-14-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12554327)
And he was awakened by a nightmare.

....just as Maeve has been.

Amazing show

KChiefs1 11-14-2016 02:02 PM

https://youtu.be/cpalg3ojiiI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck 11-14-2016 05:08 PM

Ed Harris takes Top villain role in HBOs "Westworld" reboot

Westworld finally renewed for 2nd season, but won't be airing until sometime in 2018.

manchambo 11-14-2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12553883)
lol

What exactly is lol about this?

Sure-Oz 11-14-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12555341)
Westworld finally renewed for 2nd season, but won't be airing until sometime in 2018.

Excellent

mr. tegu 11-14-2016 09:37 PM

That episode was amazing. The door Bernard didn't see wasn't there until Theresa entered the room.

Miles 11-15-2016 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12555341)

The 2018 part is depressing

Baby Lee 11-15-2016 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 12555877)
That episode was amazing. The door Bernard didn't see wasn't there until Theresa entered the room.

Also explains how Ford appeared out of nowhere when Bernard was talking with the hosts residing there in the previous episode.

Kman34 11-15-2016 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12554034)
There is a certain balance to it. It was interesting to me that Ford and the rep from corporate both said 'blood sacrifice.' Makes me think that Ford and corporate are working together more closely than has been hinted at so far, coupled with the speech he gave about the relationship he has with them. Perhaps the worry about lost code if Ford goes renegade is a bullshit cover story. Perhaps they just don't want anyone to find out what Ford is really doing.

I think Ford made the Rep a host to fool Theresa to think her plan was working... After all he says he controls everything....

Beef Supreme 11-15-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12553961)
Up until now I had assumed that the host's brain was mechanical in nature. Or perhaps I should say electronic. But giving a host an actual lobotomy kind of implies to me that I underestimated the complexity of the fabrication process. I'm leaning more and more towards transfer of consciousness as the secret motive of Delos.

I'm thinking that Charlotte, the board member, is basically already a host with transferred consciousness. While a young, super-hot board member isn't out of the question, it makes sense that board members are aiming for immortality, and why not be young and super hot?

The original board member may already be dead, or some old hag in an ivory tower somewhere on life support while they perfect the technology.

Discuss Thrower 11-15-2016 11:03 AM

I don't think any of the board members are hosts because I don't think that's Ford's plan -at least at the point where the Theresa/Charlotte plot is at if you assume there are multiple timelines at play.

People gloss over the fact Hector was tied up in Charlotte's room when she said "blood sacrifice" and hence why Ford said that to twist the knife into Theresa.

Beef Supreme 11-15-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12556480)
I don't think any of the board members are hosts because I don't think that's Ford's plan -at least at the point where the Theresa/Charlotte plot is at if you assume there are multiple timelines at play.

People gloss over the fact Hector was tied up in Charlotte's room when she said "blood sacrifice" and hence why Ford said that to twist the knife into Theresa.

I don't think that rules anything out. Just because Ford has access to all the hosts in the park, doesn't mean he has access to board members info. Alternatively, the board member could just be part of a plan to take out Theresa.

BWillie 11-15-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12556486)
I don't think that rules anything out. Just because Ford has access to all the hosts in the park, doesn't mean he has access to board members info. Alternatively, the board member could just be part of a plan to take out Theresa.

Any board member that comes into the park, he can kill and send back a robot in it's place. He can then essentially manipulate the board, or at least a good part of it.

Discuss Thrower 11-15-2016 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12556506)
Any board member that comes into the park, he can kill and send back a robot in it's place. He can then essentially manipulate the board, or at least a good part of it.

If that's the case, then wouldn't he just say that he actually controls the board when confronting Theresa instead of saying that they enjoy "testing" him every now and then?

KChiefs1 11-15-2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12556506)

I think that's been his plan from the beginning. Replace every rich person who enters the park with an exact duplicate until he controls the whole infrastructure of the world.

listopencil 11-15-2016 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12556473)
I'm thinking that Charlotte, the board member, is basically already a host with transferred consciousness. While a young, super-hot board member isn't out of the question, it makes sense that board members are aiming for immortality, and why not be young and super hot?

The original board member may already be dead, or some old hag in an ivory tower somewhere on life support while they perfect the technology.

Yeah that popped into my head fairly quickly. But then I got distracted by that marvelous ass and lost my train of thought. Do we know that she's a board member or is she just someone who was sent by the board?

listopencil 11-15-2016 06:36 PM

Last week, we finally had the pleasure of meeting Charlotte Hale on Westworld, the enigmatic character played by Creed actress (and future Thor: Ragnarok star) Tessa Thompson. At first glance, she appeared to be an excitable guest at the park, decompressing at Westworld's luxurious resort before returning to the real world. Then she was revealed to actually be the representative mentioned earlier by Dr. Ford, the Executive Director of the Delos board sent to investigate the various goings-on at the park. This week, Charlotte proved herself to be a worthy foe when she made a bold move against Ford himself.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1945...-dangerous-foe

So what does the Executive Director do? She does look very young to be holding a seat on the board of directors for a large company, much less Executive Director.

listopencil 11-15-2016 06:39 PM

From wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_directors

Inside director

An inside director is a director who is also an employee, officer, chief executive, major shareholder, or someone similarly connected to the organization. Inside directors represent the interests of the entity's stakeholders, and often have special knowledge of its inner workings, its financial or market position, and so on.
Typical inside directors are:
An inside director who is employed as a manager or executive of the organization is sometimes referred to as an executive director (not to be confused with the title executive director sometimes used for the CEO position in some organizations). Executive directors often have a specified area of responsibility in the organization, such as finance, marketing, human resources, or production.<sup id="cite_ref-Ivestopedia_10-0" class="reference">[10]</sup>

KChiefs1 11-15-2016 09:28 PM

https://youtu.be/M2pMsqvjpiw

vailpass 11-16-2016 09:35 AM

Anthony Hopkins is such a perfect casting job on this show. He's always nails.

KChiefs1 11-16-2016 10:56 AM

https://youtu.be/Z1gujT0kuss

BWillie 11-16-2016 01:56 PM

Speaking of the Bicameral Mind theory, as it applies in our lives. I don't know if I can buy into it. It's very possible that it's correct but I have a hard time believing that everyone who lived 3,000 years ago just listened to voices in their heads or what they thought were gods. Basically the theory is that nobody had real consciousness 3,000+ years ago. They could read, write, love but their actions were basically the result of the bicameral mind (one side of the mind basically sent voices to the other side to complete an action) but not thinking free will. I guess that is how i understand it.

When I look at society today, and the ever increasing narcissism people have, I don't know how this would have ever been the case.

KChiefs1 11-18-2016 09:14 AM

https://youtu.be/oJFc7QdFvHc

Discuss Thrower 11-18-2016 01:38 PM

I forgot this on first viewing: Maeve saw herself and her daughter on screen touring the underworld with Felix.

She shouldn't have been able to see that....

BigRedChief 11-18-2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12561671)
I forgot this on first viewing: Maeve saw herself and her daughter on screen touring the underworld with Felix.

Yep, missed that too. She would care about that and want to find her kid.

listopencil 11-18-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Maeve is 'broken' like Dolores. Maeve may even be further along but it's hard to say. I was just now searching for the corrupting phrase because I couldn't remember it and stumbled across this:

The Cry of Dolores (Spanish: Grito de Dolores) was uttered from the small town of Dolores Hidalgo, near Guanajuato in Mexico, on September 16, 1810. This event is considered the beginning of the Mexican War of Independence. The "grito" was the pronunciamiento of the Mexican War of Independence by Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, a Roman Catholic priest. Since October 1825, the anniversary of the event is celebrated as Mexican Independence Day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_of_Dolores

hometeam 11-18-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Shes woke.

KChiefs1 11-18-2016 07:14 PM

https://youtu.be/a77WwvPkxoE

MahiMike 11-18-2016 07:19 PM

I can't seem to watch more than 5 minutes of this show.

vailpass 11-19-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 12562254)
I can't seem to watch more than 5 minutes of this show.

It crawls like a snail at times there is no doubt. Try to be alert enough to focus back in when the superfluous female nudity pops up and that will coast you between the parts that have some action and plot relevance.

notorious 11-19-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 12562782)
It crawls like a snail at times there is no doubt. Try to be alert enough to focus back in when the superfluous female nudity pops up and that will coast you between the parts that have some action and plot relevance.

Thandie Newton's nipples are spectacular.

notorious 11-19-2016 11:44 AM

NSFW

KChiefs1 11-19-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12562869)

Suckulicious.

Buck 11-19-2016 12:11 PM

There's too much nudity on this show. Jesus. That's my main complaint.

vailpass 11-19-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12562901)
There's too much male nudity on this show.

I hear you.

hometeam 11-19-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

my GF hates them.

hometeam 11-19-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12562901)
There's too much nudity on this show. Jesus. That's my main complaint.

hey, it could be worse.

Think OZ.

vailpass 11-19-2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

I don't know if they're spectacular or not but they do command attention. They should probably have their own agent.

listopencil 11-20-2016 08:02 PM

Wow, what an episode. I was stunned that:

Spoiler!

KChiefs1 11-20-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12567927)
Wow, what an episode. I was stunned that:

Spoiler!

Me too!

listopencil 11-20-2016 11:06 PM

Here's a promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nUCPk-RHLGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The only thing in it that really interested me was Maeve interacting with Bernard. I mean, they are teasing the possibility of Maeve freeing him. That could be interesting. Bernard 'knows' that Ford lies to him because he remembered killing Elsie.

Buck 11-21-2016 12:03 AM

Ed Harris takes Top villain role in HBOs &quot;Westworld&quot; reboot

I'm back on the two time periods bandwagon.

When MIB says to Wyatt's mole that he was surprised Ford hadn't retired her yet. That was the same chick that welcomed William to Westworld Orientation.

Buck 11-21-2016 12:07 AM

Also...Dolores had a flashback while she was with William. It made me wonder if MIB time period was actually prior to William, but that doesn't seem likely.

Buck 11-21-2016 12:09 AM

Also...sorry for postwhoring...but RIP Elsie?

Low rent Matt Damon is on to Bernard. He's probably the next to go.

Bowser 11-21-2016 01:05 AM

Now watch it all be nothing more than a simulation to see if the hosts can janitor their own self contained world......

Bowser 11-21-2016 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12568656)
Also...Dolores had a flashback while she was with William. It made me wonder if MIB time period was actually prior to William, but that doesn't seem likely.

I thought that as well. There has been no interaction between Ford and William, and Logan was talking about how their company was considering buying the park due to the park hemorrhaging money. Perhaps all that happens after the fact of the failed Maeve and Bernard experiments, or the fallout of what is yet to come?

And what exactly was Hale trying to sneak out of the park in the Abernathy model?

listopencil 11-21-2016 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12568651)

When MIB says to Wyatt's mole that he was surprised Ford hadn't retired her yet. That was the same chick that welcomed William to Westworld Orientation.

I thought she looked familiar but I'm not seeing her (Talulah Riley) listed for the episode on IMDb.

listopencil 11-21-2016 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12568656)

That major flashback (the town full of simple hosts and a few techs guiding them) is the same visual that the show used when Ford was describing the very early days before guests arrived. Dolores is supposed to be one of the oldest hosts in the park so she could remember that. I think that's what the little girl was referring to when she said something about both her and Dolores coming from the same place. It's odd that the little girl remembers though. But the little girl would have been surrounded by atrocity on a fairly consistent basis. The episode, to me, really hammered in the twin ideas that suffering creates sentience in the hosts as it enables maturity in human beings.

listopencil 11-21-2016 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12568687)
And what exactly was Hale trying to sneak out of the park in the Abernathy model?

The code that the hosts run on. It has been evolving for some 35 years or so. Ford won't let it leave the park. Delos wants it.

listopencil 11-21-2016 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12568651)

Oh, BTW, I don't want the multiple time periods theory to be true. To me that's an easy out for the writers, and a cheap storytelling trick. I want them to have to integrate all of the storylines.

Discuss Thrower 11-21-2016 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12568659)
Also...sorry for postwhoring...but RIP Elsie?

Low rent Matt Damon is on to Bernard. He's probably the next to go.

I went back to watch that clip, I don't *think* it was her precisely but probably someone in her 'loop' as the tech that has the awareness to look into things just like Elsie was doing.

Or something.

listopencil 11-21-2016 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12568714)
I went back to watch that clip, I don't *think* it was her precisely but probably someone in her 'loop' as the tech that has the awareness to look into things just like Elsie was doing.

Or something.

There is a point where Ford was talking to Arnold at around 35 minutes into the episode. Ford is about to erase Arnold's memory and Arnold asks, "...have you ever made me hurt anyone like this before?" Ford says no. Then Arnold has a flashback of (apparently) killing Elsie. Strangling her from behind. I took it to mean that Ford was lying. It could just mean that Arnold is able to access that 'zombie killer' mode when he needs to solve a problem. Or it could be that Arnold was in that mode and snapped out of it without killing her and he doesn't remember the whole thing, as he was being wiped when it popped up.

listopencil 11-21-2016 02:14 AM

That scene is also where Ford's dialogue is allowed to carry over and narrate the beginning of a Dolores/William scene, which I found a bit heavy handed and clunky.

Buck 11-21-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12568724)
There is a point where Ford was talking to Arnold at around 35 minutes into the episode. Ford is about to erase Arnold's memory and Arnold asks, "...have you ever made me hurt anyone like this before?" Ford says no. Then Arnold has a flashback of (apparently) killing Elsie. Strangling her from behind. I took it to mean that Ford was lying. It could just mean that Arnold is able to access that 'zombie killer' mode when he needs to solve a problem. Or it could be that Arnold was in that mode and snapped out of it without killing her and he doesn't remember the whole thing, as he was being wiped when it popped up.

Bernard. Not Arnold. Not yet anyway :)

Discuss Thrower 11-21-2016 09:35 AM

Also, Wyatt = Teddy.

They tried to Keyser Soze us. NOT TODAY NOLAN.

Dallas Chief 11-21-2016 09:47 AM

I'm bored with it. Feels like being led down rabbit hole after rabbit hole. Watching Lost all over again. Am I wrong?

KChiefs1 11-21-2016 10:04 AM

Easter Eggs:

https://youtu.be/HLzq5xm896k

JakeLV 11-21-2016 10:17 AM

In episode 7, William says, that Westworld "reveals your deepest self".

Episode 8, MiB says, that Westworld "reveals your true self".

Buck 11-21-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12568703)
I thought she looked familiar but I'm not seeing her (Talulah Riley) listed for the episode on IMDb.

It was her, 100%. Don't need no imdb.

Buck 11-21-2016 11:54 AM

If the two lab reeruns don't end up being hosts, I'm going to be pissed. That is such an unbelievable storyline with Maeve. The only way I'll accept it is if Ford is okay with or wanted it to happen.

Also I think maybe the new host being printed in the secret lair is Elsie? I thought it was gonna be Theresa, but clearly it's not.

listopencil 11-21-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12568897)
Bernard. Not Arnold. Not yet anyway :)

LOL, yup, I was looking at too many things at once.

Buck 11-21-2016 12:43 PM

I'm back on the William =/= MIB side.

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/c..._isnt_the_mib/

listopencil 11-21-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12569476)
I'm back on the William =/= MIB side.

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/c..._isnt_the_mib/

Here's a good pic:

https://i.redditmedia.com/lx63Lt3Lmb...cA.jpg?w=1024&

listopencil 11-21-2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12569670)

Didn't show up so I copied it and put it on Photobucket:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...0WestWorld.jpg

Buck 11-21-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12569683)
Didn't show up so I copied it and put it on Photobucket:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...0WestWorld.jpg

Yes. It's the same lady.

seaofred 11-21-2016 03:16 PM

Could they have multiple host that look the exact same?

KChiefs1 11-21-2016 04:49 PM

https://youtu.be/30Uiyl5q868

Skyy God 11-21-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 12569737)
Could they have multiple host that look the exact same?

It's more likely the Internet scuttlebut re William is true.