ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs NFL Rumors: Mahomes, Watson atop KC's QB wish list (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306510)

Coochie liquor 03-16-2017 05:47 PM

How big of a meltdown will happen when we don't pick a qb in the first 2 rounds?? Server gone crash!!!

Reerun_KC 03-16-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 12786319)
How big of a meltdown will happen when we don't pick a qb in the first 2 rounds?? Server gone crash!!!

It will be historic like it is every year.

This fanbase is desperately wanting and needing hope. Im tired of being a bottom 5 franchise

SAUTO 03-16-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 12786322)

This fanbase is desperately wanting and needing hope. Im tired of being a bottom 5 franchise

:shake:

Coochie liquor 03-16-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Not sure I'm on board with currently being a bottom 5 franchise. But I'm so over not drafting and developing our own qb. Maybe we're just cursed!

RustShack 03-16-2017 07:46 PM

I'll do some dirty things if we draft Mahomes

Chief Northman 03-16-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Diva.

jd1020 03-16-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 12786319)

There's always next year, right?

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-16-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12777600)
What makes you think that Reid is going to still be here after Smith is gone?

Now THIS was the most beautiful and inspiring post of the entire thread.

Well done.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-16-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12786514)
Now THIS was the most beautiful and inspiring post of the entire thread.

Well done.

Mahomes will unite us all. The true Dark Peniight

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-16-2017 10:44 PM

I just don't see a 21 year old Mahomes coming into camp and overtaking Smith, even after 1 season. If drafted he's at a minimum a 2 year project. He clearly doesn't have the maturity that Prescott, Luck, or Wilson had coming out of the draft. As the analysts have said, his decision-making is far from ideal. Sure he can sit behind a protected pocket and launch a ball like his rocket-arm baseball daddy taught him to but you have to question why a quarterback needs to be flexing his muscles when his team struggled all year and finished 5-7??

Our odds of success are better waiting for a 1st rounder in 2018

pugsnotdrugs19 03-16-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12786771)
I just don't see a 21 year old Mahomes coming into camp and overtaking Smith, even after 1 season. If drafted he's at a minimum a 2 year project. He clearly doesn't have the maturity that Prescott, Luck, or Wilson had coming out of the draft. As the analysts have said, his decision-making is far from ideal. Sure he can sit behind a protected pocket and launch a ball like his rocket-arm baseball daddy taught him to but you have to question why a quarterback needs to be flexing his muscles when his team struggled all year and finished 5-7??

Our odds of success are better waiting for a 1st rounder in 2018

This type of thinking will keep KC in its perpetual QB rut. If the Chiefs believe Mahomes can start in 1-2 years and be a SB level franchise QB, they need to trade up whatever they have to in order to get him this year, or take him at 27 if they are lucky enough to see him fall.

They need to have a guy ready to take over ideally in 2018 to get Smith's contract off the books. The best time to win the Super Bowl these days is when you have a good QB on a rookie contract. Looking at the Chiefs current roster, the time is now to strike assuming you want your QBOTF to have a redshirt year.

Urc Burry 03-16-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12786771)
Sure he can sit behind a protected pocket and launch a ball like his rocket-arm baseball daddy taught him to but you have to question why a quarterback needs to be flexing his muscles when his team struggled all year and finished 5-7??

The worst defense in football giving up 46 points a game probably didn't have anything to do with their record.

His arm talent has been compared to Favre. I've learned to trust Dorsey. If he thinks Mahomes is the guy then I'm all in

Nickhead 03-17-2017 12:45 AM

if the chiefs are drafting a qb in round 1 or 2 NEXT year, this means alex will have an extension on his contract. they HAVE to find the next kc qb this year. no one can say if these qb's in the draft are a bust or not. only until they get into the film rooms, and the field can one make that assertion.

if a 2017 pick is a bust, THEN you go after a replacement for alex via free agency. i assume by that point cousins will be available for 45 million a year :D

-King- 03-17-2017 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12786781)
This type of thinking will keep KC in its perpetual QB rut. If the Chiefs believe Mahomes can start in 1-2 years and be a SB level franchise QB, they need to trade up whatever they have to in order to get him this year, or take him at 27 if they are lucky enough to see him fall.

They need to have a guy ready to take over ideally in 2018 to get Smith's contract off the books. The best time to win the Super Bowl these days is when you have a good QB on a rookie contract. Looking at the Chiefs current roster, the time is now to strike assuming you want your QBOTF to have a redshirt year.

I think the Mahomes fans need to ask themselves if they're willing to keep Smith as QB for 2 years until Mahomes is ready. Because yeah, he may be ready next year, but with the severe mechanics issues he has, I don't think just 1 year on the bench will be enough for him.

I don't want to keep Smith past this year so I don't want Mahomes. That chance he won't be ready in 2018 scares me too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sandy Vagina 03-17-2017 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12786781)

Agree with your second paragraph. I doubt Mahommes is or should be the guy, but we'll see what they think.

It's the right time to get that QBotF... just not loving the draft class. Still, throwing out a day 2 pick on a QB would not prevent them from geting a rd 1 guy in 2018.

RunKC 03-17-2017 07:18 AM

Dak had horrible footwork, accuracy issues and came from a spread offense. He's not much different than the prospects this year.
Talent is there for a QB to succeed and multiple QB's in this draft could do well in the system.

We just won 12 games in spite of a QB not throwing TD's. A rookie could be essentially the same exact copy of Alex but far cheaper....just like Semen did in Denver.

rico 03-17-2017 07:43 AM

I feel like Dak is alright, but am not 100% sold and wouldn't be surprised if he tapered off at some point. He had some help...to put it lightly... like, more help than any QB could ask for... On top of that awesome OL, his receiving targets only had 8 drops all season... out of 479 targets. That's the lowest out of any team in the league...

raybec 4 03-17-2017 09:32 AM

Right now the Chiefs are the 6th youngest roster in the league so they have a short window. With Jamaal gone, DJ and Tamba being less than stellar (DJ only because of injury) and Houston hopefully on the mend they need to shore up a number of positions but QB has to be a priority. Again, the last time a QB drafted by the Chiefs won a game in any capacity was 1987. That is just turrible.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pbRUTHGLu9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Urc Burry 03-17-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12787007)
Right now the Chiefs are the 6th youngest roster in the league so they have a short window. With Jamaal gone, DJ and Tamba being less than stellar (DJ only because of injury) and Houston hopefully on the mend they need to shore up a number of positions but QB has to be a priority. Again, the last time a QB drafted by the Chiefs won a game in any capacity was 1987. That is just turrible.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pbRUTHGLu9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do agree we need to address the qb position early. But how does having the 6th youngest roster mean we have a short window? We're not going to miss much DJ and Tamba gone. They are far past their prime. We've barely played had a healthy Houston. For how many vets we have on the roster, having the 6th youngest is ridiculous. Our window is as long as Dorsey is our gm

Sandy Vagina 03-17-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12786862)
Dak had horrible footwork, accuracy issues and came from a spread offense. He's not much different than the prospects this year.

Not really true. Dak might have fit this description prior to his senior season, but he showed impressive strides in 2015. He was much more polished, accurate, and coverage aware as a senior prospect.

raybec 4 03-17-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 12787014)
I do agree we need to address the qb position early. But how does having the 6th youngest roster mean we have a short window? We're not going to miss much DJ and Tamba gone. They are far past their prime. We've barely played had a healthy Houston. For how many vets we have on the roster, having the 6th youngest is ridiculous. Our window is as long as Dorsey is our gm

Every window in the NFL is short unless you have a legit franchise QB. You have a much better shot at capitalizing on superior talent in other areas if you're team leader is a legitimate star.

Several teams have won championships with middling QB's but they had superior supporting casts. Our supporting cast is excellent, but with a middle of the road QB, the window is short.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-17-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 12786885)
I feel like Dak is alright, but am not 100% sold and wouldn't be surprised if he tapered off at some point. He had some help...to put it lightly... like, more help than any QB could ask for... On top of that awesome OL, his receiving targets only had 8 drops all season... out of 479 targets. That's the lowest out of any team in the league...

He definitely went into an ideal situation.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-01-2017 02:37 PM

From Matt Miller:

Quote:

Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes has visited with the Chiefs, according to Miller. Kansas City is set to pick 27th overall, when Mahomes still might be available. The second-round-graded Mahomes has drawn plenty of interest from around the league.

Bowser 04-01-2017 05:02 PM

Honestly, any of these QB's not named Trubisky are going to need a minimum of one season on the bench before they're ready, most likely (and that might even go for Trubisky, too). Mahomes apparently has all the intangibles coaches look for in a QB, so take him if he's there, let him learn how to QB under Alex and Andy, and see what you have a year from now. That goes for Watson and Kizer, as well.

PHOG 04-01-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12805748)
Honestly, any of these QB's not named Trubisky are going to need a minimum of one season on the bench before they're ready, most likely (and that might even go for Trubisky, too). Mahomes apparently has all the intangibles coaches look for in a QB, so take him if he's there, let him learn how to QB under Alex and Andy, and see what you have a year from now. That goes for Watson and Kizer, as well.

No, do not let him learn from Alex, please.

Jerok 04-01-2017 08:27 PM

Let's let the QB learn from Alex so he can learn the proper way to check and dink.

Nickhead 04-01-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHOG (Post 12805954)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerok (Post 12806031)
Let's let the QB learn from Alex so he can learn the proper way to check and dink.

i didn't want to be the first to point this out ROFL

rico 04-01-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Trubisky doesn't even have much college experience...he's probably a candidate to sit, IMO.

Mr. Laz 04-01-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Trubisky only started 12 games in college.

Mr. Laz 04-01-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHOG (Post 12805954)

That's dumb. No reason to not let a young QB learn from Alex.

If you want to worry about something then worry about a young QB only knowing our current offense. When Nick Foles entered the game, Reid didn't open the offense up. He ran the same dink/dunk offense that everyone around here claims only to happens because Alex Smith is our quarterback.

If Alex Smith is the only problem with our offense then why didn't that change when Nick Foles started?

Alex Smith is a smart guy who is also a team guy, he will a great QB for a young guy to learn from.

Nickhead 04-01-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12806061)
Trubisky only started 12 games in college.

you should look at tom brady's college stats ROFL

Mr. Laz 04-01-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12806089)
you should look at tom brady's college stats ROFL

Tom Brady sat his 1st year in the NFL, which is what the topic was about.

Tom brady is also a HOF 6th round pick

Brady is an exception to a lot of things.

Nickhead 04-01-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12806148)
Tom Brady sat his 1st year in the NFL, which is what the topic was about.

Tom brady is also a HOF 6th round pick

Brady is an exception to a lot of things.

just ****in with ya :D

if any team pulls the trigger in round one, its a huge gamble, regardless of whom it is.

maybe they should force teams in the draft, to wait till the second round to draft a qb. :D

RealSNR 04-01-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12806066)

If you want to worry about something then worry about a young QB only knowing our current offense. When Nick Foles entered the game, Reid didn't open the offense up. He ran the same dink/dunk offense that everyone around here claims only to happens because Alex Smith is our quarterback.

If Alex Smith is the only problem with our offense then why didn't that change when Nick Foles started?

Alex Smith is a smart guy who is also a team guy, he will a great QB for a young guy to learn from.

Trent Green said it best.

The team had just drafted Brodie Croyle. The media wanted to know Trent's thoughts. Trent loved KC and the fans, and he was the true leader of the team in the locker room. Surely this selfless guy who wants what's best for the team would be willing to work with the young kid on stuff, right? The media was itching to write its first fan fodder story with some nice quotes from Trent Green.

Know what they basically got in so many words? "**** the kid. If he wants to play in the NFL, he needs to ****ing figure it out. We've got a coaching staff. They'll help him. That's their job. It's not my ****ing job. My job is to play football."

It's not Alex's job to teach the rookie. Something tells me he probably won't make teaching a rookie a priority. If Mahomes or Watson or whoever it is sits next to him on the bench and asks what to do in this situation, Alex can tell him what he did, but he's not required to hold his goddamn hand or quiz him in practice. He doesn't even have to hang out with the guy or like him.

It's a giant myth that veteran QBs teach the young guys who are supposed to replace them eventually on the team, and when they do, just because they're great QBs doesn't make them great teachers.

All that Peyton Manning dick in Brock Assweiler's mouth sure did Brock a ton of good, didn't it? Or Jim Sorgi or Curtis Painter. Boy, those guys looked sharp and wise from all that Manning tutelage, didn't they? And all those Tom Brady backups that have been successful for other teams. They learned by watching and talking with Tom, and now they're doing sooooo well, aren't they?

It's pretty well-known that Brett Favre hated Rodgers' guts, even if he wasn't a total dick to the guy. He didn't exactly "take the guy under his wing." Guess who did? The ****ing coaching staff did.

RealSNR 04-01-2017 11:24 PM

Can't seem to find the original source this is referring to. Obviously a lot of people heard/saw it, because they're all getting the same impression out of it:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=139966

Chief Roundup 04-02-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12806188)

The team had just drafted Brodie Croyle. The media wanted to know Trent's thoughts. Trent loved KC and the fans, and he was the true leader of the team in the locker room. Surely this selfless guy who wants what's best for the team would be willing to work with the young kid on stuff, right? The media was itching to write its first fan fodder story with some nice quotes from Trent Green.

Know what they basically got in so many words? "**** the kid. If he wants to play in the NFL, he needs to ****ing figure it out. We've got a coaching staff. They'll help him. That's their job. It's not my ****ing job. My job is to play football."

It's not Alex's job to teach the rookie. Something tells me he probably won't make teaching a rookie a priority. If Mahomes or Watson or whoever it is sits next to him on the bench and asks what to do in this situation, Alex can tell him what he did, but he's not required to hold his goddamn hand or quiz him in practice. He doesn't even have to hang out with the guy or like him.

It's a giant myth that veteran QBs teach the young guys who are supposed to replace them eventually on the team, and when they do, just because they're great QBs doesn't make them great teachers.

All that Peyton Manning dick in Brock Assweiler's mouth sure did Brock a ton of good, didn't it? Or Jim Sorgi or Curtis Painter. Boy, those guys looked sharp and wise from all that Manning tutelage, didn't they? And all those Tom Brady backups that have been successful for other teams. They learned by watching and talking with Tom, and now they're doing sooooo well, aren't they?

It's pretty well-known that Brett Favre hated Rodgers' guts, even if he wasn't a total dick to the guy. He didn't exactly "take the guy under his wing." Guess who did? The ****ing coaching staff did.

Those are the vets that teams bring in after the young guy is the starter. Something like Hasselback and Luck situation.

milkman 04-02-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12806066)

Stop confusing safe for smart.

jallmon 04-02-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent Green GOAT (Post 12778889)
A dual "threat"....

Can throw a redzone interception OR fumble.

Coogs 04-02-2017 10:10 AM

From Great Blue North...

The ‘most interesting man in the draft’ … He’s not even a consensus first-round prospect for the upcoming draft, but Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes may be the most popular guy in the class. Mahomes had what is being described as a very impressive pro day today in Lubbock where he showed what is considered to be the strongest arm in this year’s draft. However, what makes Mahomes such a popular guy is the number of team’s that want him to either work out privately or visit. Mahomes has already reportedly worked out with as many as a half dozen teams, including Cleveland, Chicago, Cincinnati, Arizona, New Orleans and San Diego, while he reportedly has workouts or visits planned with as many as a dozen more. One other team that appears to be very interested in Mahomes are the Giants. How interested? Giants’ head coach Ben McAdoo, who has never attended a pro day in the three-year tenure with the team, but took the time to travel half way across the country to check out Mahomes as a potential successor to Eli Manning. Only problem for the Giants is that it is starting to look like Mahomes may off the board long before they get on the clock with the 23rd pick.

ChiefGator 04-02-2017 10:19 AM

You learn from vet QBs in the QB room, when they look over every throw (and non-throw) from the previous game or practice.

nychief 04-02-2017 10:38 AM

We are going to have to trade up for Qb in rnd one, we aren't going to do that. We'll take BPA or trade down. I think we'll get a QB but not in round one.

oldman 04-02-2017 11:26 AM

I'm still not sold on any of these guys being true 1st rounders, let alone top 5. Other than Trubisky, Mahomes is the only one that I'd take in the first. I could go with Webb or Kaaya in the 2nd.
Bottom line is none of theses guys are ready to start in 2017, so Smith has to be the QB this year. If Bray or whichever one we pick isn't ready next year, cut one of two and draft a QB again.

LiL stumppy 04-02-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12806188)

You're looking at it wrong. Of course it's the coaching staffs job to develop and train a young player. In regards to learning from a vet, no one is expecting them to try and teach the kid to throw a football, they're expecting him to teach him through his actions. Alex is a locker room guy, he's a study guy, he's a true student of the game. You draft a QB and let him watch Alex Smith, how he prepares for games, how great his work ethic is, how much he watches game film, etc. That's how young QBs learn from great veterans. Every guy drafted to an NFL can throw a football.

But does every rookie drafted know how to truly be a professional to increase his chance of success? No. That's what veterans are for and rookies sitting behind one for s year.

Chief Northman 04-02-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 12806430)
I'm still not sold on any of these guys being true 1st rounders, let alone top 5. Other than Trubisky, Mahomes is the only one that I'd take in the first. I could go with Webb or Kaaya in the 2nd.
Bottom line is none of theses guys are ready to start in 2017, so Smith has to be the QB this year. If Bray or whichever one we pick isn't ready next year, cut one of two and draft a QB again.

Not one of these guys is ready to start. You are correct, but supply/demand will be in effect for this draft. Many teams like the potential of this class, and the buzz seems to indicate that several franchises are indeed looking for replacements for aging veterans. Cardinals, Steelers, Giants and Chiefs come to mind. This is on top of teams with immediate needs like the Jets, Browns, 49ers, Texans and Bears.

Most of these kids don't have 1st round talent, but a watered-down qb driven league says more and more teams will be getting in line to take a chance on potential.

I think the top 4 (Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes and Kizer) all go in round 1.

RustShack 04-02-2017 01:41 PM

It's not the vets job to take him under his wing, it's the young QB's job to follow him around, pay attention to what he does, and ask him questions.

But it's more so the QB coaches job to coach him. Even better when you have an OC and HC all also good with QB's.

RustShack 04-02-2017 01:42 PM

Ive been saying it all year, KC needs to get Mahomes.

Mr. Laz 04-02-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 12806316)
Stop confusing safe for smart.

Stop confusing Football instincts with Intelligence level

From everything I've heard, Alex Smith is very intelligent. That he can learn an offense just about as fast as a coach can explain it. That he understands the game and the processes.

The stuff like field vision and throwing accuracy is not something anyone can teach anyway.

Alex Smith will be a great example of how to be a Pro Football player. He will teach where he can and help the kid learn the offense and how to handle the pros. He won't be hostile and tell a rookie QB to "**** off" or try to prevent a new QB from developing to keep his job.

Whether the young QB has natural football instincts and on-the-field talents are completely up to him.

Stuff like footwork and mechanics will be handled by the position coach.

The Franchise 04-02-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 12806385)
From Great Blue North...

The ‘most interesting man in the draft’ … He’s not even a consensus first-round prospect for the upcoming draft, but Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes may be the most popular guy in the class. Mahomes had what is being described as a very impressive pro day today in Lubbock where he showed what is considered to be the strongest arm in this year’s draft. However, what makes Mahomes such a popular guy is the number of team’s that want him to either work out privately or visit. Mahomes has already reportedly worked out with as many as a half dozen teams, including Cleveland, Chicago, Cincinnati, Arizona, New Orleans and San Diego, while he reportedly has workouts or visits planned with as many as a dozen more. One other team that appears to be very interested in Mahomes are the Giants. How interested? Giants’ head coach Ben McAdoo, who has never attended a pro day in the three-year tenure with the team, but took the time to travel half way across the country to check out Mahomes as a potential successor to Eli Manning. Only problem for the Giants is that it is starting to look like Mahomes may off the board long before they get on the clock with the 23rd pick.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan doesn't expect the Giants to address quarterback early in the draft.

The Giants have talked about drafting a successor to Eli Manning but it's unlikely Mitchell Trubisky or Deshaun Watson would fall to them with the 23rd pick. Coach Ben McAdoo was present for Pat Mahomes' Pro Day as well, but he wouldn't be an option until at least the second round. Raanan does expect the Giants to add a quarterback in the draft, though it will probably happen on Day 2. Josh Dobbs, Jerod Evans and Nathan Peterman could be available in that range.

milkman 04-02-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12806608)
Stop confusing Football instincts with Intelligence level

From everything I've heard, Alex Smith is very intelligent. That he can learn an offense just about as fast as a coach can explain it. That he understands the game and the processes.

The stuff like field vision and throwing accuracy is not something anyone can teach anyway.

Alex Smith will be a great example of how to be a Pro Football player. He will teach where he can and help the kid learn the offense and how to handle the pros. He won't be hostile and tell a rookie QB to "**** off" or try to prevent a new QB from developing to keep his job.

Whether the young QB has natural football instincts and on-the-field talents are completely up to him.

Stuff like footwork and mechanics will be handled by the position coach.

There is a difference between the designed short passing game that you bitch about from Reid, and the checkdowns by Smith.

He isn't making smart decisions when the game is being played.

He makes the safe decisions.

The fact that he's a hard worker and is a quick study doesn't change the fact that he doesn't play smart.

He plays scared.

Coogs 04-02-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12806611)
ESPN's Jordan Raanan doesn't expect the Giants to address quarterback early in the draft.

The Giants have talked about drafting a successor to Eli Manning but it's unlikely Mitchell Trubisky or Deshaun Watson would fall to them with the 23rd pick. Coach Ben McAdoo was present for Pat Mahomes' Pro Day as well, but he wouldn't be an option until at least the second round. Raanan does expect the Giants to add a quarterback in the draft, though it will probably happen on Day 2. Josh Dobbs, Jerod Evans and Nathan Peterman could be available in that range.

I have no idea what the G-men are thinking. It's the last sentence that is important here. If the G-men want him, it is starting to look like he will be long gone before they pick at 23. That means if we want Mahomes we are going to have to move up as well.

Mother****erJones 04-02-2017 03:21 PM

I really think KC will have to move up to get a QB. Teams that want one know KC is in the market. Teams always do it to KC. KC has the ammo to. I really hope they do it.

RippedmyFlesh 04-02-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 12806624)
I have no idea what the G-men are thinking. It's the last sentence that is important here. If the G-men want him, it is starting to look like he will be long gone before they pick at 23. That means if we want Mahomes we are going to have to move up as well.

Exactly no way Mahomes makes it to 27. The "experts" who say he is a 2nd rounder are full of crap.

Chief Northman 04-02-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 12806642)
I really think KC will have to move up to get a QB. Teams that want one know KC is in the market. Teams always do it to KC. KC has the ammo to. I really hope they do it.

Buffalo only has 6 picks this year and Indy has 7.

Dorsey and Reid should make proposals with Ballard for their first round pick. Ballard would arguably like to have more picks in his maiden voyage to the draft. He is on record as stating the Colts need to become younger and faster.

Maybe Andy can sweet talk his good buddy Sean McDermott in Buffalo to acquire more pics as well by making an offer for that number 10 pick and get ahead of Cleveland and arguably have what I would think would be a swing at the quarterback they would want or at least the second guy on their board at QB if they go that route.

Urc Burry 04-02-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 12806661)

Dorsey and Reid should make proposals with Ballard for their first round pick. Ballard would arguably like to have more picks in his maiden voyage to the draft. He is on record as stating the Colts need to become younger and faster.

Maybe Andy can sweet talk his good buddy Sean McDermott in Buffalo to acquire more pics as well by making an offer for that number 10 pick and get ahead of Cleveland and arguably have what I would think would be a swing at the quarterback they would want or at least the second guy on their board at QB if they go that route.

Meh. I like some of these qbs a lot. But none are worth moving up the the 10 spot. You're talking about giving up a first next year for that type of move. Late teens would be max on how high we'd move up

Mr. Laz 04-02-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 12806618)
There is a difference between the designed short passing game that you bitch about from Reid, and the checkdowns by Smith.

He isn't making smart decisions when the game is being played.

He makes the safe decisions.

The fact that he's a hard worker and is a quick study doesn't change the fact that he doesn't play smart.

He plays scared.

I swear you are like a pitbull who will never let go of a bone. You can't let go of your anger long enough to think rationally about an issue.

Alex Smith won't be teaching playing scared or not scared, he will be teaching the offense, film study etc. He will be showing leadership, work ethic and how to interact with the coaches and teammates.

If we draft someone, that draftee will already be aggressive or conservative. That is about the personality of the person, not something that they will learn from Alex Smith.

A coach can sometimes beat the aggressiveness out of a QB like the 49ers coaches did to Smith, but that isn't being taught from a fellow QB. If you want to worry about a young QB learning to play too conservatively, then you should worry about Andy Reid, not Alex Smith.

Look at Tyler Bray, he went into games ignoring progression and flinging it deep. He basically got benched by Reid for it. Unless you think it was Alex Smith that dropped Bray down to 3rd string and signed Foles. :shake:

Mother****erJones 04-02-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 12806661)

They could be a target. He's going to have to leap frog someone.

Chief Northman 04-02-2017 05:26 PM

Posted this in the Draft forum. A contrarian take on Mahomes. Don't shoot the messenger.

http://presnapreads.com/2017/04/02/p...ure-of-upside/

Chief Roundup 04-02-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 12806751)
Posted this in the Draft forum. A contrarian take on Mahomes. Don't shoot the messenger.

That article is pretty blunt. Watching the videos it seems like a fairly accurate take on Mahomes though.

MahiMike 04-02-2017 06:27 PM

Consensus pick is Watson at 27.

Nickhead 04-02-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 12806810)
Consensus pick is Watson at 27.

i still think that's a reach. but if i had to choose between watson and trubisky, i'd pick mitch myself. :D

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-02-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Welp, good thing I'm not a "Mahomes or bust" individual.

The Franchise 04-02-2017 08:10 PM

Kizer.

rico 04-02-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12806933)
Kizer.

Yup... Kizer or Webb and I'm pumped.

rico 04-02-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12806873)
i still think that's a reach. but if i had to choose between watson and trubisky, i'd pick mitch myself. :D

His mother would prefer it if you referred to him as "Mitchell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :D

Nickhead 04-02-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 12806974)
His mother would prefer it if you referred to him as "Mitchell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :D

i'd call him dad if he fell to the chiefs and he panned out :D

Chief Northman 04-02-2017 09:13 PM

Such a tough evaluation on qb's this year. I've been up and down on all of them. If I had my drothers, I would hope KC lands either Kizer or Watson.

Kizer: the more film I watched, the more I felt he could translate to the NFL the best. He makes reads, has plenty of arm strength, is accurate enough and has mobility and some pocket awareness. He can tend to stare down receivers and over-rotate on throws, but I love how he stands-in the pocket and is willing to deliver the mail. Bright kid by all accounts. Just 21 too.

Watson: The velocity measurement concerns me, and his accuracy last season was not good. What cannot be denied is his ability to make plays in the clutch and get the job done. Well respected in the coaching circles, Watson has all the intagibles you want to be a face of the franchise type player. A weapon to be accounted for in the run game, and with much toughness, it is hard not to root for the young man. He tends to have a few WTF? moments each game with decisions/throws, but he is resilient. Given his style of play, he may be the best system fit for a Reid coached offense.

For me?
1. Kizer
2. Watson

C'mon Dorsey - go get us what this franchise has needed for so long....

pugsnotdrugs19 04-03-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Fahey makes some solid points, but he also doesn't give Mahomes near enough credit for his strengths. He basically makes it sound like the only thing Mahomes has proven capable of is throwing the ball really far. That's just not true.

Mahomes' accuracy is actually pretty damn solid, IMO. Of course you're going to miss a few throws when you are chucking it 70+ times a game. Anyone would. When looking at the film, his inaccuracy at times is mostly tied to decision making. Easier said than done, but if you can reel in the decision making, you can probably help to erase a lot of the erratic throws.

Just my two cents. I still like him a lot for the Chiefs.

O.city 04-03-2017 05:45 PM

Fahey had Vernon Adams as the #1 QB in the draft a year or two ago. I'm not really sure about his QB eval skills.

Bewbies 04-03-2017 05:48 PM

Well Vernon Adams is a bonafide stud.

Who is Vernon Adams?

pugsnotdrugs19 04-03-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12808282)
Fahey had Vernon Adams as the #1 QB in the draft a year or two ago. I'm not really sure about his QB eval skills.

Yikes

O.city 04-03-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12808285)
Well Vernon Adams is a bonafide stud.

Who is Vernon Adams?

He was the Oregon QB that went undrafted and now is in Canada.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-03-2017 05:56 PM

I heard a great analogy for these QBs this morning.

The thinking was that with most of the QBs such as Trubisky or Watson, you were probably sure to have a B+ to C- level QB. With Mahomes, you're looking at probably an A or an F. It's the ultimate gamble. Go big or go home.

Most times, I wouldn't advocate such a pick in the first round. But if you are the Chiefs right now, with a nearly filled roster that could play today if they had to, why wouldn't you roll the dice? They know they need a QBOTF and they know that Mahomes wouldn't have to play for 1-2 years. It's the perfect storm for both the organization and player IMO.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-03-2017 06:01 PM

Pick the QB in R1, make ILB, CB, RB, OLB priorities after that, and then go BPA.

Chief Roundup 04-03-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12808298)

The thinking was that with most of the QBs such as Trubisky or Watson, you were probably sure to have a B+ to C- level QB. With Mahomes, you're looking at probably an A or an F. It's the ultimate gamble. Go big or go home.

Most times, I wouldn't advocate such a pick in the first round. But if you are the Chiefs right now, with a nearly filled roster that could play today if they had to, why wouldn't you roll the dice? They know they need a QBOTF and they know that Mahomes wouldn't have to play for 1-2 years. It's the perfect storm for both the organization and player IMO.

Too risky! We need OL

thabear04 04-03-2017 07:34 PM

Someone post up a link of Mahomes throwing it for 80 yards at his pro day.

thabear04 04-03-2017 07:38 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ass-at-pro-day

TigeRRUppeRRcut 04-04-2017 12:28 AM

It has come to my attention that Mahomes' hand size is closer to Kaepernicks than it does to Russell Wilson's.

Red Flag.

-King- 04-04-2017 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12808298)

I'd rather have a QB that's either a B+ or C- than one that's either an A or F. It's not even a question.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-04-2017 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 12808814)
I'd rather have a QB that's either a B+ or C- than one that's either an A or F. It's not even a question.
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL I'm shocked.

RealSNR 04-04-2017 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 12808814)
Posted via Mobile Device

Given that ALL QBs have the potential to become Fs, shouldn't you care MORE about which QB has the likeliest chance of reaching the upper levels of his potential?

There ARE no B+ or C QBs. As soon as you think you have one, they're massive ****ing failures.