ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Okay, so WHAT exactly is so goddamn great about the 2018 QB class? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=307038)

The Franchise 04-12-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12821035)
Who gives a **** what Jaws says? He's not a personnel guy or a coach. Just a former player/talking head.

Clay is going to come back with the "he really liked Prescott last year" excuse.

staylor26 04-12-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12821038)
Clay is going to come back with the "he really liked Prescott last year" excuse.

And I would reply that so did a few of us on CP.

Quesadilla Joe 04-12-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12821035)
Who gives a **** what Jaws says? He's not a personnel guy or a coach. Just a former player/talking head.

Quote:

This year, the scout, who has been in the NFL for decades, believes the draft is among the more top-heavy he's been around. The number of impact players is small, because, in his words, "this is a weak quarterback and skill-position draft."

The scout also feels that there are no true first-round quarterbacks in this draft. But because teams are so desperate they will reach, and that need to grasp at a QB will be the main story emerging from this draft.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

staylor26 04-12-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe (Post 12821041)

Ok now this no named scout, he's legit! That guys knows his shit.

:rolleyes:

Titty Meat 04-12-2017 10:48 AM

Who says we cant pick top 15 next year? Tyler Bray is the back up for a 33 year old QB

RealSNR 04-12-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12820831)
You shut up, Alex-lover!!!! You draft QB in rd 1, rd 2, AND round 3. Screw BPA. You keep drafting 3 per yr until you get one that can throw it deep and has the balls to tell Andy to shove the short passing up his fat ass.

:cuss:

We need a QB. We can get a guy with a high ceiling easily in the 1st round this year. We can afford to have him sit for a year. High ceiling + sitting for a year = the best combination you can generally hope for in this inexact science of developing QBs. Again, NOTHING is guaranteed. Andrew Luck isn't guaranteed, either. But from the perspective of the Chiefs, this is as good as anything we can get.

I'm asking are the QBs that will be available to us REALLY be that much better next year? Can they start immediately? If we're waiting a year on a 2018 QB, how is that any better than waiting a year on a 2017 QB?

Now get a sunnier attitude or I'll send rico in here to mock you!

Quesadilla Joe 04-12-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12821045)
Ok now this no named scout, he's legit! That guys knows his shit.

:rolleyes:

Andrew Brandt said that he's heard the same thing from people around the league, and he has a lot of contacts from multiple teams because of his time in GB/Philly.

<iframe src="http://www.podcastone.com/embed?progID=583&pid=1725234" width="300" height="696" frameborder="0" ></iframe>

He talks about the QB's in the draft at the 7:20 mark.

staylor26 04-12-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe (Post 12821347)
Andrew Brandt said that he's heard the same thing from people around the league, and he has a lot of contacts from multiple teams because of his time in GB/Philly.

<iframe src="http://www.podcastone.com/embed?progID=583&pid=1725234" width="300" height="696" frameborder="0" ></iframe>

He talks about the QB's in the draft at the 7:20 mark.

Paxton Lynch wasn't a "1st round QB" either if they're saying none of these guys are. I mean, I know at least a few talking heads/unnamed sources said the same thing about him too last year

:D

The Franchise 04-12-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12821324)
We need a QB. We can get a guy with a high ceiling easily in the 1st round this year. We can afford to have him sit for a year. High ceiling + sitting for a year = the best combination you can generally hope for in this inexact science of developing QBs. Again, NOTHING is guaranteed. Andrew Luck isn't guaranteed, either. But from the perspective of the Chiefs, this is as good as anything we can get.

I'm asking are the QBs that will be available to us REALLY be that much better next year? Can they start immediately? If we're waiting a year on a 2018 QB, how is that any better than waiting a year on a 2017 QB?

They were talking about it on Sirius radio at lunch today. They said that it's hard to pick a QB that's going to succeed but it's monumentally harder to not pick one this year with the excuse that "we'll pick one next year". You don't know what's going to happen in the way of injuries or what teams are going to picking ahead of you.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-12-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe (Post 12821041)

Paxton Lynch sucks monkey nuts/ anybody who follows football

rico 04-13-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12821324)

That's right, Sandy...

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...rcyyo1_400.gif

While I'm at it though, I probably should mock him. I predict that Sandy is a possible 7th, probable UDFA in the 2017 NFL Assistant to the Waterboy Draft. I can see Denver selecting him with the last overall pick, making him Mr. Irrelevant...Mr. Irrelevant of the assistants to the waterboys of 2017.

Probably UDFA though.

kccrow 04-13-2017 08:20 AM

Next year is always the best year to draft a QB....

Give me a ****in break. For starters, I doubt Darnold declares as a true sophomore. I went over most of the rest of these once before. Same as it's ever been. Meanwhile, we'll trade picks for the next broke dick castoff.

RunKC 04-13-2017 08:26 AM

People need to remember the tale of Matt Barkley.

Won at Ohio State as a Freshman and continued to look good as a Sophomore and everyone was saying he would be a franchise QB when he declared for the draft.

Then look at what happened..

TigeRRUppeRRcut 04-13-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12822349)
People need to remember the tale of Matt Barkley.

Won at Ohio State as a Freshman and continued to look good as a Sophomore and everyone was saying he would be a franchise QB when he declared for the draft.

Then look at what happened..

:shake:
You have your schools wrong
Darnold and Barkley are much different quarterbacks

kccrow 04-13-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12822354)

Where does he get the school wrong, or even state it for that matter? Matt Barkley won @ OSU his freshman year, which is true. USC beat OSU 18 to 15.

rico 04-13-2017 09:08 AM

Man...I've said it before and you can all call me crazy, but the few games I watched Barkley in this last season, I shit you not, he flashed. I've never seen a supporting cast seemingly sabotage a QB the way Barkley was, whether it be repetitive drops that should have been repetitive easy catches or running for his life a quarter of a second after the ball was snapped.

Dude had his shitty moments, yeah...but he had moments where he looked really, really good...I haven't written him completely off yet.

The Franchise 04-13-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12822354)

Care to explain where he's wrong?

RealSNR 08-18-2017 02:40 PM

Darnold is a strong possibility to stay at USC in 2018.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...2018-nfl-draft

Who could have seen this coming?

I'm honestly not going to be surprised at all if 2017's QB class produces far better QBs than 2018's. In fact, I'm probably going to laugh. Hard.

rico 08-18-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13022230)
Darnold is a strong possibility to stay at USC in 2018.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...2018-nfl-draft

Who could have seen this coming?

I'm honestly not going to be surprised at all if 2017's QB class produces far better QBs than 2018's. In fact, I'm probably going to laugh. Hard.

So far this 2017 class doesn't look too shabby.

pugsnotdrugs19 08-18-2017 02:45 PM

I wouldn't want to play for the Jets either, but Darnold is a fool to stay.. his stock isn't going up.

RunKC 08-18-2017 02:47 PM

Josh Rosen is already a big problem and he hasn't even declared. He's so much of a problem that scouts think he is the next Kapernick LMAO

Quote:

Josh Rosen is outspoken. He wore a "F--k Trump" hat to the one of the President's golf courses before Trump was elected. In an interview with Bleacher Report's Matt Hayes, Rosen talked about the difficulties of being a student-athlete. Scouts, coaches and teammates have also told me of his personality, which can come across as "uncoachable, smarter than all of us and a prick."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...lin-kaepernick

BryanBusby 08-18-2017 02:49 PM

In 5 years all these shitbirds are gonna act like they knew the 17 QB class waa good all along.

RealSNR 11-04-2017 05:57 PM

Bump.

Darnold's not going to Cleveland. I'll be shocked if he declares once Cleveland secures the #1 overall pick.

What are you left with? A bunch of dudes who are no better than what 2017 produced. And in many cases, the class as a whole is much worse. Maybe it's deeper in the 2nd-5th range. But not better. I don't see how you could claim it's better at this point.

Hammock Parties 11-04-2017 06:15 PM

More like Poodolph

The Franchise 11-04-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13197155)
More like Poodolph

5 QBs in the first round!\ Clay

Sassy Squatch 11-04-2017 06:36 PM

Baker Mayfield doesn't look too bad. Some reerun team will draft him and start him immediately to sentence him to certain doom.

Hammock Parties 11-04-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13197165)
5 QBs in the first round!\ Clay

Gotta jinx 'em all

KChiefs1 01-12-2018 01:26 PM

It's definitely growing warts.

DRM08 01-12-2018 02:54 PM

Excellent thread. In the end I don’t think the 2018 guys will be any better than the 2017 guys. Of the group I think KC landed the guy with bigger upside potential than anyone else from either draft class.

BryanBusby 01-12-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13197189)
Baker Mayfield doesn't look too bad. Some reerun team will draft him and start him immediately to sentence him to certain doom.

While the smoke is all about Josh Allen, I think Kubes talks Elway into taking Baker at 5.

Mecca 01-12-2018 03:05 PM

Football is the only sport where a guy being smart and having career options because of an affluent family means you are a ****ing prick they don't want.

Reminds me of Frank Okam who's scouting report essentially said he was to smart for his position and would see through coach speak.

Sassy Squatch 01-12-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13356519)
Football is the only sport where a guy being smart and having career options because of an affluent family means you are a ****ing prick they don't want.

Reminds me of Frank Okam who's scouting report essentially said he was to smart for his position and would see through coach speak.

Only ones I've seen with character concerns are Rosen and Mayfield, and I think they're both fair.

Mecca 01-12-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13356525)
Only ones I've seen with character concerns are Rosen and Mayfield, and I think they're both fair.

Dude Myron Rolle had a scouting report where one of his negatives was "has options outside of football".

pugsnotdrugs19 01-12-2018 03:11 PM

This QB class is unique to me because I don't feel like there any sure things at all. Typically, there's always at least one guy that you can say is going to for sure be a solid starter. Maybe not great, but very likely not a complete bust. Not sure who that would be in this class.

Lots of boom or bust guys IMO.

Mecca 01-12-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13356531)
This QB class is unique to me because I don't feel like there any sure things at all. Typically, there's always at least one guy that you can say is going to for sure be a solid starter. Maybe not great, but very likely not a complete bust. Not sure who that would be in this class.

Lots of boom or bust guys IMO.

Rosen to me is the surest guy but his upside might be like Alex Smith. Allen and Darnold have more natural talent but they're bust potential is a lot higher especially Allen.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-12-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13356540)
Rosen to me is the surest guy but his upside might be like Alex Smith. Allen and Darnold have more natural talent but they're bust potential is a lot higher especially Allen.

Yeah I heard some talking heads who are involved with the draft say that Rosen's upside might be limited. I think that Trubisky was the 'sure thing' from last year, which is why he went #2 overall. Don't think his upside was ever that of Mahomes or Watson.

Allen should be a day 2 pick, if not day 3. Darnold has potential but a ton of work ahead to get there. Jackson is a major ?. Mayfield looked the best this year, but does he have the mental makeup to be a NFL QB? Is his arm good enough to get away with the throws he made in college?

Mecca 01-12-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13356548)
Yeah I heard some talking heads who are involved with the draft say that Rosen's upside might be limited. I think that Trubisky was the 'sure thing' from last year, which is why he went #2 overall. Don't think his upside was ever that of Mahomes or Watson.

Allen should be a day 2 pick, if not day 3. Darnold has potential but a ton of work ahead to get there. Jackson is a major ?. Mayfield looked the best this year, but does he have the mental makeup to be a NFL QB? Is his arm good enough to get away with the throws he made in college?

I don't even think Jackson should play QB, Mayfield on top of being short I just don't see it.

A8bil 01-12-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 12822401)
Man...I've said it before and you can all call me crazy, but the few games I watched Alex Smith in this last season, I shit you not, he flashed. I've never seen a supporting cast seemingly sabotage a QB the way Alex Smith was, whether it be repetitive drops that should have been repetitive easy catches or running for his life a quarter of a second after the ball was snapped.

Dude had his shitty moments, yeah...but he had moments where he looked really, really good...I haven't written him completely off yet.

FIFY -- I joke, but funny how it works when discussing Alex...so, is Barkley the second coming of Alex?

GloucesterChief 01-12-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13356559)
I don't even think Jackson should play QB, Mayfield on top of being short I just don't see it.

Mayfield I can see having a Ryan Leaf esque meltdown. Hell, Leaf looked more emotionally mature than Mayfield in his last college season at least on the field.

Mecca 01-12-2018 03:42 PM

I just don't know if Mayfield has the arm talent to be good in the NFL, like I think his upside might be decent backup.

DRM08 01-12-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13356627)
I just don't know if Mayfield has the arm talent to be good in the NFL, like I think his upside might be decent backup.

Arm talent is not his problem. I question what he will do against NFL pass rush and secondary. He had a great OL and great WR’s at Oklahoma. The second half of the Georgia game is one of the few games in last few years where a defense really got after him and the game suddenly did not look so easy for Mayfield.

GloucesterChief 01-12-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 13356637)
Arm talent is not his problem. I question what he will do against NFL pass rush and secondary. He had a great OL and great WR’s at Oklahoma. The second half of the Georgia game is one of the few games in last few years where a defense really got after him and the game suddenly did not look so easy for Mayfield.

Clemson last year as well.

jaa1025 01-12-2018 03:50 PM

18 class is trash IMO. It was hyped up to be amazing and not one player has lived up to the hype during the 2017 season. Be very happy that we got Mahomes. I'd take any of the 3 QB's in 17 over these guys...even Watson, who I wasn't high on.

Darnold, had a worse season this year than he did last season and did nothing to live up to his lofty status as a possible #1 overall pick.

Rosen, has all the tools and looks great doing it but has serious question marks mentally and possibly physically with a shoulder injury that ended his 16 season and concussions in 2017. Injuries aside, what concerns me most is his mentality. He has even stated that his personality could cause issues with teams. That is one of the biggest bust factors for me.

Josh Allen, has a cannon for an arm. His accuracy is questionable at best. His last 2 years he has been at 56% completion percentage. I wouldn't draft him in the 1st but he will go there. Big time project.

Mayfield, headcase with off the field issues. Put up gaudy stats in a very pass friendly offense. Has average arm strength and size. Has good accuracy etc. Long windup throwing motion is a little scary that will lead to increased sacks and INT's if not cleaned up. Immature.

Lamar Jackson, very talented. Athletic, strong arm, pro style offense. But has some accuracy issues at times.

Mecca 01-12-2018 03:51 PM

Jackson also has chicken legs...

DRM08 01-12-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13356644)
Clemson last year as well.

Yeah, those were the only games where he faced real pressure in the pocket.

Buehler445 01-12-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

I don't think his arm is any worse than Smith who has shown he can be an effective starter, but he's going to have to learn which throws he can make and which ones he cannot. Whiiiiiiiich might be his problem.

DRM08 01-12-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13356686)
I don't think his arm is any worse than Smith who has shown he can be an effective starter, but he's going to have to learn which throws he can make and which ones he cannot. Whiiiiiiiich might be his problem.

I know this much. He is very arrogant. Believes he has Michael Vick scrambling ability and Pat Mahomes arm talent. He is a good scrambler with a good arm, but it will be a rude awakening for him in the NFL.

BryanBusby 01-12-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13356559)

I like Jackson and will give him a little benefit of doubt, as Petrino isn't a QB developer.

He needs a lot of work though.

Pitt Gorilla 01-12-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13356622)
Mayfield I can see having a Ryan Leaf esque meltdown. Hell, Leaf looked more emotionally mature than Mayfield in his last college season at least on the field.

Mayfield’s arm isn’t in the same universe as leaf.

cmdrzman 01-12-2018 05:12 PM

Patrick Mahomes is basically Kordell Stewert with a stronger arm... Mahomes has happy feet.. dude cant stand tall in the pocket and deliver a pass... every "wow play" he does is because he scrambles out of formation and the entire play breaks down... it becomes sandlot football... he'll roll out and just toss it up in hopes his WR will come down with it...

This article pretty much gives it to ya in yer face

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/te...ck-mahomes-ii/

Pitt Gorilla 01-12-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrzman (Post 13356821)
Patrick Mahomes is basically Kordell Stewert with a stronger arm... Mahomes has happy feet.. dude cant stand tall in the pocket and deliver a pass... every "wow play" he does is because he scrambles out of formation and the entire play breaks down... it becomes sandlot football... he'll roll out and just toss it up in hopes his WR will come down with it...

great article from 2016.

Sassy Squatch 01-12-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

LMAO, an article from 2016, bro? Really? Weren't you the one pimping Gareon Conley as having a stellar camp when he hadn't even suited up at that point? Out of all the trolls we have, you seem like the dumbest.

KChiefs1 01-12-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Mecca I respect your opinion on the draft. Where do you think Drew Lock fits into the 2019 class?

MahiMike 01-12-2018 07:58 PM

Baker Mayfield isn't even on the OP. He's the cream of the crop.

jaa1025 01-12-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

LOL. One of the last QB's i'd ever compare him to. Happy feet is the last thing I'd describe. His pocket awareness and movement inside the pocket are already better than most QB's. He delivered a few "wow" plays in Denver from the pocket. And no...that is ridiculous.

I'm pretty confident that you have never actually watched Mahomes play a single game, college or pro.

Dave Lane 01-12-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13357133)
LOL. One of the last QB's i'd ever compare him to. Happy feet is the last thing I'd describe. His pocket awareness and movement inside the pocket are already better than most QB's. He delivered a few "wow" plays in Denver from the pocket. And no...that is ridiculous.

I'm pretty confident that you have never actually watched Mahomes play a single game, college or pro.

Completely this. Mahomes is the anti-Stewart, keeps eyes downfield has a good idea of the pocket and pressure. Very polished for a 1 game rookie.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-12-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13357133)

He hasn't. He's a troll, and should be treated as such.

MahomesMagic 01-12-2018 09:39 PM

Mahomes > 2018 QB's.

Reerun_KC 01-12-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

He’s a gigantic douche. Leaf 2.0.

RealSNR 01-12-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13357104)
Baker Mayfield isn't even on the OP. He's the cream of the crop.

Sometimes you post stuff and it makes me think you have a severe learning disability.

Best22 01-12-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

If you had said Cutler, it would have atleast made sense.

Kordell? ROFL

KChiefs1 01-13-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

You are the worst Raider fan on this forum. You provide nothing worthwhile to read.

Hammock Parties 01-13-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Mahomes has happy feet.. dude cant stand tall in the pocket and deliver a pass...

You ****ing asshole.

https://i.imgur.com/6SSUOV2.gif

https://i.imgur.com/t8fjl24.gif

https://i.imgur.com/6mM9HwZ.gif

Pasta Little Brioni 01-13-2018 08:05 AM

Owned that piece of shit faider

Rausch 01-13-2018 09:19 AM

This is a deep QB class and probably the deepest FA QB group in years.

Solid QB's almost never hit the FA market. This year they will and there are at least 3 QB's teams might be willing to trade (Smith and Manning being top names.)

This might be the wildest year in trades the NFL has ever had...

Chris Meck 01-13-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 13357248)
If you had said Cutler, it would have atleast made sense.

Kordell? ROFL

he's ****ing racist.

Rausch 01-13-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 13357503)
he's ****ing racist.

At this point I just want a bumper sticker that says "I'm the world's biggest racist - don't talk to me."

DRM08 01-13-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13357388)

I don't think you have room to talk. You compared him to Manziel, a noodle arm QB who was bailed out repeatedly by monster 6'5" receiver Mike Evans. Pat's best receiver at Tech was a 5'6" midget. ROFL

The only thing Pat has in common with Manziel is the backyard football and quick 20 yard shuttle time (faster than Russell Wilson)...but guess who else played backyard football with arm talent similar to Mahomes: Big Ben and Brett Favre. He reminds me a lot more of those two guys than Manziel.

RealSNR 01-13-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 13357517)
I don't think you have room to talk. You compared him to Manziel, a noodle arm QB who was bailed out repeatedly by monster 6-5 receiver Mike Evans. Pat's best receiver at Tech was a 5-6 midget. ROFL

The only thing Pat has in common with Manziel is the backyard football and quick 20 yard shuttle time (faster than Russell Wilson)...but guess who else played backyard football with arm talent similar to Mahomes: Big Ben and Brett Favre. He reminds me a lot more of those two guys than Manziel.

The Mahomessiah forgives all.

We are one brotherhood trusting our faith in the Mahomessiah. Some of us were true fans. Some of us were drafturbators. Some of us were Geno fans. Some of us liked the Alex Smith trade. Some of us hated Alex Smith. Some of us were just ordinary Chiefs fans who didn't trust anybody. And some of us are Texas Tech fans.

We all found Mahomes in our own way. And the only thing that matters now is that he is here in Kansas City, and we are all fans of Patrick Mahomes.

Except, of course, the few remaining miserable ****s. PAChiefsguy. Tiger. Baby Lee. Should they choose to join us, they will be received with tenderness and mercy. Should they continue to stray from Patrick and his flock before his coming and raping of the rest of the NFL, they will be shunned and banished to Cleveland, where Alex Smith, the great satan himself, will continue to torture them in playoff misery for the rest of his career.