ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343207)

-King- 05-28-2022 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16312107)
It forced Mahomes to change his style of play by not drifting too deep in the pocket and stepping up

I’m not sure why that’s a bad thing?

Because I'd rather Mahomes learn and improve naturally instead of being forced to change due to a player having a glaring weakness that might get him killed.

Halfcan 05-28-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16312107)
It forced Mahomes to change his style of play by not drifting too deep in the pocket and stepping up

I’m not sure why that’s a bad thing?

Yep, thank goodness too- Mahomes only threw for 50 TD's and over 5,000 yards drifting around.

duncan_idaho 05-28-2022 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16311726)
I'm sticking with the unpopular opinion, no ****ing way would I sign OBJ to a top LT contract. He's a solid player and a guy KC should look to re-sign, but not at that price. If a deal couldn't get done that's more reasonable and he wouldn't play on the tag because of it, I'd trade him and start Christian there and go pick up Lamm as a swing tackle or something. It's a strong LT draft next year and if I pigeonhole myself into taking one in round 1, oh well.

Of course, Chiefs will probably do it and I'll mope about it for a while and get over it.

So... where is that line for you? What constitutes a "top" LT contract?

O.city 05-28-2022 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16312153)
Because I'd rather Mahomes learn and improve naturally instead of being forced to change due to a player having a glaring weakness that might get him killed.

What’s the glaring weakness though? He gets beat by speed rushers deeper? I mean I’m pretty sure if a speed rusher had to beat trent Williams deeper than his set he’d struggle too.

Mitch Schwartz talked about it a lot and how they have certain points and if the qb drops deeper than that, it’s on him.

O.city 05-28-2022 10:33 AM

If you guys remember in 2020, Mahomes did the same thing and got beat up A lot for it

Halfcan 05-28-2022 10:39 AM

Mahomes and Kelce are future HOFers and the Best at their position, but still don't make top money.

Why should Brown expect to be paid like the Best when he is clearly not?

If he won't take a "team friendly" deal to play with Mahomes and win championships- you tag him, then trade him next year for draft picks.

-King- 05-28-2022 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 16312093)
It’s already been pointed out that Christian Darrisaw is the only LT anywhere near the range for us the last 5 drafts.

So your plan is to trade Brown Jr and then do a Patrick Mahomes like trade up of multiple 1st rd picks (probably more) to move into the top 10-15 range for a LT?

Darrisaw was the 23rd pick. Why would we need a Mahomes like trade up to move up to 23 no matter where we were trading from?

-King- 05-28-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16312163)
What’s the glaring weakness though? He gets beat by speed rushers deeper? I mean I’m pretty sure if a speed rusher had to beat trent Williams deeper than his set he’d struggle too.

Mitch Schwartz talked about it a lot and how they have certain points and if the qb drops deeper than that, it’s on him.

Fisher didn't have nowhere near the problems with speed rushers that Orlando does. That's why it wasn't such a big deal when Mahomes drifted back. It was a bad habit, but not something you were TOO worried about. Now if he drifts back, it is a big problem.

BossChief 05-28-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16312188)
Fisher didn't have nowhere near the problems with speed rushers that Orlando does. That's why it wasn't such a big deal when Mahomes drifted back. It was a bad habit, but not something you were TOO worried about. Now if he drifts back, it is a big problem.

Power rushers would drive Fisher straight back into Mahomes. Brown doesn’t give up ground to those guys as easily and his job against speed is to push them wide and allow Pat to step up.

You talk as if Fisher didn’t struggle to pass protect when he got beat many times…just in different ways.

staylor26 05-28-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 16312196)
Power rushers would drive Fisher straight back into Mahomes. Brown doesn’t give up ground to those guys as easily and his job against speed is to push them wide and allow Pat to step up.

You talk as if Fisher didn’t struggle to pass protect when he got beat many times…just in different ways.

He’s ****ing clueless.

Bowser 05-28-2022 11:26 AM

Here's the other part - left tackle is a premium position in the league. QB, LT, pass rusher....those are the positions you're going to have to pay. If we don't pony up for Brown (and I'm not necessarily advocating for that just yet), the alternative is to drop a first rounder on a left tackle once every four years or so. Is that a plan we'd be good with just to avoid being strapped to a player that isn't a sure-fire HoF'er but can be solid and fill his position?

RunKC 05-28-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16312185)
Darrisaw was the 23rd pick. Why would we need a Mahomes like trade up to move up to 23 no matter where we were trading from?

He’s the only LT of the last 5 years to be a quality and be a first rd pick drafted not in the top 15.

One time. In 5 years.

That’s called an outlier

Hoover 05-28-2022 11:28 AM

As mentioned before, the structure of it matters more than the price tag.

I wouldn't think twice, I'd just pay Brown Jr.

I don't really understand those who don't want to pay him. Where are we going to pour those extra dollars we would save? The truth of the matter is that tagging him and then letting him walk only creates a giant hole on the left side of the Oline when Pat is in his prime. ****, people bitched about paying Fisher. And OK lets say we tag him then let him walk we are going to be praying for a LT to fall in the draft? Thats way risky. And what would Veach have to do, pay someone who doesn't have the upside that brown does on the free market.

I mean Cam Robinson just signed a 3 year 54 Million dollar extension with Jacksonville. Thats the shit we would be looking for if we are stupid with Brown.

What I love about Brown is that he is driven to be the best, talks about wanting to be in the HOF, and winning Super Bowls. We can afford to pay the guy for the next 3-4 seasons with no problem. Just do it.

Chief Pagan 05-28-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16312188)

Well if the center of the OL was suspect, if Fisher was liable to being bull rushed, and if Mahomes was great throwing off his back foot while drifting backwards, why was it really a "bad habit"?

I get that there are elite speed rushers out there that most LT's struggle with. But a speed rusher that gets a pretty clean bend around the edge is usually going to show up more quickly and be more likely to cause a fumble or an injury than a bull rush that pushes a tackle into the QB's lap, no?

And it is annoying to pay elite money for a LT who is more elite at run blocking than pass blocking.

I get the nervousness about trying to find a replacement. But it would seem like if KC is willing to open up the checkbook and make someone the highest paid LT (even if only briefly) they ought to be able to lure an LT to KC that has elite pass blocking skills.

On the other hand, if Brown is willing to settle for less than elite money, yea great sign him.

And I guess I would be more nervous about locking Brown up for a long time. If the headline figure is large, but KC has an out, that is also a different story.

BWillie 05-28-2022 11:53 AM

Don't pay him. For the love of god please don't pay him.

-King- 05-28-2022 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 16312219)
He’s the only LT of the last 5 years to be a quality and be a first rd pick drafted not in the top 15.

One time. In 5 years.

That’s called an outlier

So no matter what we're going to overpay. Either in what we give Orlando or what we give up to trade up. I'd rather overpay trade up for a tackle whose strength is pass blocking and will be here for the next 5 years on a rookie contract than overpay for Orlando for the next 5 years.

Sassy Squatch 05-28-2022 12:04 PM

Yeah, having to go into the offsrason next year with glaring holes at LT and DE sounds like a shit idea when we've got at the very least an above average LT already on the roster.

Hoover 05-28-2022 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16312262)
Yeah, having to go into the offsrason next year with glaring holes at LT and DE sounds like a shit idea when we've got at the very least an above average LT already on the roster.

Ding! End of discussion.

Red Dawg 05-28-2022 12:22 PM

Above average? Brown is below average and ranked that way of the 32. Past 15 is below average he's like 23rd. He's not angiid LT. He sucks.

Sassy Squatch 05-28-2022 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16312284)
Above average? Brown is below average and ranked that way of the 32. Past 15 is below average he's like 23rd. He's not angiid LT. He sucks.

LMAO You do realize that ranking you're quoting is of both LTs and RTs, right?

Sassy Squatch 05-28-2022 12:35 PM

Actually reading through the list, there's at least 10 or so that aren't LTs, so Brown Jr still projects as a borderline top 10 LT according to PFF even with his struggles at times during the season.

duncan_idaho 05-28-2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16312296)
Actually reading through the list, there's at least 10 or so that aren't LTs, so Brown Jr still projects as a borderline top 10 LT according to PFF even with his struggles at times during the season.

This.

In a world where an actual shitty tackle like Cam Robinson gets 3/54, an above-average T like Brown is going to be in the low 20s. All about the stucture.

He's not an elite guy, and he is susceptible to the speed rush. But a good speed rush is pretty literally the ONLY way to beat him. You're not going through him. Power move attempts are going to get you clowned.

Like I said yesterday, it's all about the structure. If the sticker price is 6/145, but the actual price is something like 4/90 (with some dead money in year 5 or 6), I have no concerns or problems with the deal.

kccrow 05-28-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16312158)
So... where is that line for you? What constitutes a "top" LT contract?

The line for me with Orlando is at the 18 per that Jake Matthews and Kolton Miller were recently extended for.

Top contract values are at about 23 per. I'd consider anything over 20 a bad deal.

KChiefs1 05-28-2022 01:52 PM

I just hate paying top end money for a good player not a great one.

That’s what the Faiders did with Derek Carr.

It’s a bad position to be in where you need a great player at that position but none are available so you are stuck with a good player but paying them like a great player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tredadda 05-28-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 16312157)
Yep, thank goodness too- Mahomes only threw for 50 TD's and over 5,000 yards drifting around.

He threw for 5,000 and 50 because our defense was epically bad. It was his first full year starting so teams didn’t have film on his drifting. Even random people on the internet highlighted how Mahomes drifting back became a liability. You can be sure if they could see it DCs, Reid, and Mahomes could see it as well. That played more into why he has reduced that part of his game than Brown struggling with speed rushers.

kccrow 05-28-2022 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 16312219)

One time. In 5 years.

That’s called an outlier

In addition to Darrisaw at 23, Bolles was drafted at 20, Wynn was drafted at 23, Jackson at 18, and Penning this year at 18.

Pretty much every year there's a solid tackle from 16-20.

Considering you should be able to trade OBJ for at least a 2nd, the net spend is likely just the 1st rounder.

tredadda 05-28-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16312445)
In addition to Darrisaw at 23, Bolles was drafted at 20, Wynn was drafted at 23, Jackson at 18, and Penning this year at 18.

Considering you should be able to trade OBJ for at least a 2nd, the net spend is likely just the 1st rounder.

Bolles? You mean the guy CP called Mongo who almost lost his job because he was so bad?

duncan_idaho 05-28-2022 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16312372)
The line for me with Orlando is at the 18 per that Jake Matthews and Kolton Miller were recently extended for.

Top contract values are at about 23 per. I'd consider anything over 20 a bad deal.

Do you think that’s realistic when that’s the amount of money a below average LT just got this off-season on a multi-year deal?

18/year now buys Cam Robinson.

Sassy Squatch 05-28-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16312445)

Wow. There's a lot of shit on that list. It took Bolles to his 4th season to finally break out and not be a complete bust, Wynn has been injury prone his entire career, only playing in 34 games in 4 seasons, and has been moved from T to G before finally putting together a halfway decent season in 2021 at LT. Jackson was an absolutely horrific LT and needed a switch to G to save his career. If those are your best examples we need to keep Brown at absolutely all costs.

staylor26 05-28-2022 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16312454)
Do you think that’s realistic when that’s the amount of money a below average LT just got this off-season on a multi-year deal?

Exactly.

People are just very unrealistic of where the market is right now, and where it will be when the cap goes up.

BigRedChief 05-28-2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16312338)
This.

In a world where an actual shitty tackle like Cam Robinson gets 3/54, an above-average T like Brown is going to be in the low 20s. All about the stucture.

He's not an elite guy, and he is susceptible to the speed rush. But a good speed rush is pretty literally the ONLY way to beat him. You're not going through him. Power move attempts are going to get you clowned.

Like I said yesterday, it's all about the structure. If the sticker price is 6/145, but the actual price is something like 4/90 (with some dead money in year 5 or 6), I have no concerns or problems with the deal.

People can bitch all they want, yell get off my lawn comments at the internet sphere but the market for very average is set, 3 years/$54 million. He can be a top 10 LT. Improve his skill at slowing down speed rushers.

Gave up a 1st and 3rd to get him here. Going to have to give up that and more to move up to 17-20 to get a prospect that may or may not pan out. Why?

kccrow 05-28-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16312461)
Wow. There's a lot of shit on that list. It took Bolles to his 4th season to finally break out and not be a complete bust, Wynn has been injury prone his entire career, only playing in 34 games in 4 seasons, and has been moved from T to G before finally putting together a halfway decent season in 2021 at LT. Jackson was an absolutely horrific LT and needed a switch to G to save his career. If those are your best examples we need to keep Brown at absolutely all costs.

Bolles followed a normal growth of a rookie, so unfortunately he became what may be the best LT in the game after 3 seasons and is a guy worth paying because he actually can protect at QB now. Still waiting on OBJ to do that. I like him on the tag this year because maybe he will.

Luck with injury isn't exactly a factor here for me. Wynn is a good LT. That's like saying every player taken in the 20s is going to be injury-prone.

But anyhow, here's a few more...

Taylor Decker - 16.
DJ Humphries - 24
Nate Solder - 17
Anthony Costanzo - 22

Are those guys shit too?

That's not even mentioning a guy like Donovan Smith taken at the top of 2.

And there are guys just around 15 like Kolton Miller at 15, Tunsil at 13, Wirfs at 13, and so on. Not impossible to get to.

I don't hate OBJ or even not want to sign him, but signing a guy who is a liability against the pass rush on a passing team for 24+ a season is foolish to me. I like him enough to give him next-tier money, 18-19 is reasonable for a guy that isn't a top-shelf player but in an ever-ascending market. He's not reasonable with his demand and I wouldn't match it, at least not now. I like him on the tag this year. Let him prove he can be a true blindside protector because right now he's not. At least not a guy you can leave on an island and scheme to him instead of around him. If you're going to do that, you might as well be playing a rookie there and suffering the same ups and downs.

kccrow 05-28-2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16312454)

I don't think he's better than an above-average LT. And you can cite Cam Robinson all you want, but Matthews and Miller just signed 18 per extensions and they are much better players. Mailata just signed for 16 per, who I'd put in the discussion with Brown. Absolutely no ****ing way I'm paying Brown better than guys like Williams and Bahktiari who are far better players.

Titty Meat 05-28-2022 03:36 PM

VEACH!!!!

Chief Roundup 05-28-2022 04:50 PM

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-of...rankings-tiers

I know it is PFF but what an article.
Tier 5: Late bloomers
23. Orlando Brown Jr., Kansas City Chiefs

Browns’ success in pass protection with the Ravens came with the caveat that defenses have to alter how they rush the passer against Lamar Jackson, as pass-rushers are often tasked with containing Jackson rather than flushing him from the pocket.

Brown had to make adjustments in Kansas City after some early-season struggles, notably in Week 1 against Myles Garrett, but he settled in as the season progressed. The 6-foot-8, 345-pound tackle out of Oklahoma finished the year with a 74.4 PFF pass-blocking grade — the lowest of his career but still a respectable mark.

He projects as a good, not great, starter for Kansas City, which makes the upcoming contract negotiation between the two sides an interesting one to follow.

xztop123 05-28-2022 05:10 PM

I agree fully with pff analysis. I would try to get value out of him in a trade.

Titty Meat 05-28-2022 05:10 PM

What value would you get if he wants to be the highest paid LT but doesn't deserve it?

MIAdragon 05-28-2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16312606)
What value would you get if he wants to be the highest paid LT but doesn't deserve it?

In addition to a well earned lesson, anything you can and you move on.

Red Dawg 05-28-2022 05:55 PM

**** his crazy demands. Trade his ass or cut his ass. Put his back up out there or move Thuney there.

louie aguiar 05-28-2022 06:00 PM

He’s a good but not great left tackle. Veach shouldn’t (and likely won’t) overpay.

Sassy Squatch 05-28-2022 06:11 PM

Thuney isn't going to just bounce out to LT full time without a significant bump in pay.

ThyKingdomCome15 05-28-2022 06:20 PM

The hole Tyreek left in the roster was bridged with a strong WR class coming up in the draft and some solid FA on the market. What alternatives are there when it comes to really good LT's entering their prime? When you're drafting at 32 the options are minimal at best.

Orlando has all the leverage and he's setting the bar at the top of the market price. These negotiations will be tricky but Veach and the KC FO are the class of the league. It'll get done and it'll make sense for both parties. We have to have him. We were lucky to get him here to begin with.

Hoover 05-28-2022 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 16312412)
I just hate paying top end money for a good player not a great one.

That’s what the Faiders did with Derek Carr.

It’s a bad position to be in where you need a great player at that position but none are available so you are stuck with a good player but paying them like a great player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, and the deal ended up being a bargain compared to what QB after him signed for.

RunKC 05-28-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16312642)
**** his crazy demands. Trade his ass or cut his ass. Put his back up out there or move Thuney there.

Tuckdaddy is rerunned

Rainbarrel 05-28-2022 06:36 PM

FAs present and future be watching

Red Dawg 05-28-2022 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbarrel (Post 16312682)
FAs present and future be watching

KC has not been cheap to deserving players but no team will make his 23rd ranked ass the highest paid LT. We would be stupid to do so. He isn't that good.

Willie Lanier 05-28-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16312284)

Sorry, help me out, what exactly is angiid? Is that a noun or an adjective?

Willie Lanier 05-28-2022 10:37 PM

Oh, I see that you've edited, my mistake

dlphg9 05-29-2022 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16312831)
KC has not been cheap to deserving players but no team will make his 23rd ranked ass the highest paid LT. We would be stupid to do so. He isn't that good.

Lol PFF is junk.

duncan_idaho 05-29-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16312831)

First, the list you’re referencing has 9 right tackles on it in front of him. So if you’re talking about his position, that’s at worst 14th.

Second: the list has some questionable decisions. There are 3 very injured players on that list in front of him. There are players with similar uneven marks. Etc.

Third: it’s PFF. This is not even a player-based ranking. Essentially, it means nothing.

Stop being and idiot, genious.

Coogs 05-29-2022 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16312658)
Thuney isn't going to just bounce out to LT full time without a significant bump in pay.

Over 22 million the next 3 years isn't enough?

https://overthecap.com/player/joe-thuney/4791/

O.city 05-29-2022 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 16313083)

Hell want LT money instead of guard money

Coogs 05-29-2022 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16313093)

22.1, 22.6, and 22.6 is in the neighborhood.

-King- 05-29-2022 08:39 AM

Quote:

He'd be the 8th highest paid LT by avg. if he was at LT. His contract is more of a tackle contract than a guard contracts.

But they're not moving him so it's a moot conversation.

Chief Roundup 05-29-2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

When we signed him to that contract the whiners on here were saying that we gave him LT money.

duncan_idaho 05-29-2022 08:45 AM

If the Chiefs felt comfortable playing Thuney at LT, don't you think they would have... just rolled with him at LT last year?

It's nice depth to have in a pinch, but I don't think it's the plan or will become the plan.

Coogs 05-29-2022 08:49 AM

I was just replying to Superturtles post. He is making LT money. So it wouldn't take a significant raise. Small raise? Maybe.

Coogs 05-29-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16313120)
If the Chiefs felt comfortable playing Thuney at LT, don't you think they would have... just rolled with him at LT last year?

It's nice depth to have in a pinch, but I don't think it's the plan or will become the plan.

I do think they considered Thuney at LT last year. It may have been plan C behind Williams (plan A), and Brown (plan B). I'm not going to go searchinng for the article, but I know I read (or heard) that was a viable option.

Chief Roundup 05-29-2022 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16313025)
Lol PFF is junk.

They are not junk although they are not the greatest either.
Go ahead and post a link to a better more respected place with rankings for LT.

DJ's left nut 05-29-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 16313083)

That’s not what he’s making.

He’s making about $15 million/yr over those 3 years.

That’s not really LT money.

BossChief 05-29-2022 10:55 AM

Paying him as the top LT in the game right now aav and getting him for 6 years would be a very smart move. It would make him dirt cheap the first 2 years and by the time his cap hits go up, the salary cap in exploding.

To me, that seems like a no brainer.

He’s 26
He has HOF bloodlines
He has a superb work ethic
He wants to win
He will continue to improve as he refines his technique and chemistry with Pat and Thuney
The whole contract will be his prime years

philfree 05-29-2022 11:04 AM

The Chiefs have a chance to have an all-time O Line and the brain thrust here wants let guys walk and move guards to tackle.:LOL:

Rainbarrel 05-29-2022 11:18 AM

Tyreek wasn't instantly open & they do need to lean on the run a little more. OBJr seems fine to me

Titty Meat 05-29-2022 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 16313226)
He has HOF bloodlines
He has a superb work ethic
He wants to win

Dude..

TEX 05-29-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16313252)
Dude..

No shit...:rolleyes:

Red Dawg 05-29-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16313025)
Lol PFF is junk.

Maybe it is but tape doesn't lie. Watch him in the games. He isn't that good at all. He gets ran around by DEs a lot.

duncan_idaho 05-29-2022 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16313286)
Maybe it is but tape doesn't lie. Watch him in the games. He isn't that good at all. He gets ran around by DEs a lot.

You seem to not understand that if a DE runs a speed rush where he ends up at the 12 yard mark in the pocket, it is NOT a win for the DE.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-29-2022 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16313286)

Thanks for proving again how little this board understands the game

Red Dawg 05-29-2022 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother (Post 16313302)
Thanks for proving again how little this board understands the game

Whatever. How many media outlets think we should give him what he wants? None them do so I guess they don't know the game like us. Bullshit. He isnt that good and Andy and Veach know it.

BossChief 05-29-2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16313252)
Dude..

Yes?

-King- 05-29-2022 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16313295)
You seem to not understand that if a DE runs a speed rush where he ends up at the 12 yard mark in the pocket, it is NOT a win for the DE.

That's not necessarily what was happening 100% of the time. He was flat out beat on speed rushers a lot before we changed our offense.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Harold Landry flies by Orlando Brown here to get sack number 7.5. Bud Dupree with a sick inside counter too gets there half a sec after Landry 💙 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Titans?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Titans</a> <a href="https://t.co/JPFc0vsmoo">pic.twitter.com/JPFc0vsmoo</a></p>&mdash; Wes on Broadway (@TitansDraftTape) <a href="https://twitter.com/TitansDraftTape/status/1454589219503054854?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 30, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Myles Garrett vs Orlando Brown in a huge 3rd down.<br><br>Sack.<a href="https://t.co/fbCCeg8BBE">pic.twitter.com/fbCCeg8BBE</a></p>&mdash; Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1437195223722041344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

-King- 05-29-2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 16313352)
Yes?

I think you should throw out some more random intangibles.

duncan_idaho 05-29-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16313354)
That's not necessarily what was happening 100% of the time. He was flat out beat on speed rushers a lot before we changed our offense.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Harold Landry flies by Orlando Brown here to get sack number 7.5. Bud Dupree with a sick inside counter too gets there half a sec after Landry 💙 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Titans?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Titans</a> <a href="https://t.co/JPFc0vsmoo">pic.twitter.com/JPFc0vsmoo</a></p>&mdash; Wes on Broadway (@TitansDraftTape) <a href="https://twitter.com/TitansDraftTape/status/1454589219503054854?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 30, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Myles Garrett vs Orlando Brown in a huge 3rd down.<br><br>Sack.<a href="https://t.co/fbCCeg8BBE">pic.twitter.com/fbCCeg8BBE</a></p>&mdash; Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1437195223722041344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One of those is a sack against the best pass rusher in the NFL, in his first game with KC. But yes, he got beat. And yes, he got beat on speed rushes legitimately at times.

He also improved a lot over the course of the season, and once Mahomes became more disciplined stopped having nearly so many problems.

The point was that just because a guy speed rushes and gets pushed wide of the pocket really deep in the pocket does not mean the defende won the rep.

dlphg9 05-29-2022 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16313295)

I just put him on ignore. Can't take reading the same uninformed opinion over and over.

I've also decided it's pointless to argue with all the idiots in the thread that can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that OBJ is going against guys that are also really ****ing good. The difference in talent between NFL caliber players is so small that even minor disadvantages become huge burdens. When Mahomes drops back 12 yards, then that makes Brown's job much more difficult. Edge rushers knew they could just go as fast as they could and pretty much go in a direct line to the QB without having to bend.

In Mahomes first couple of years he wasnt dropping back and bailing on the pocket immediately. He was a master of working in the pocket. That all changed the last part of 2020 when the interior OL was shit and he was getting pressure up the middle constantly and Geoff Schwartz even brought it up, because Mitchell Schwartz didn't look good. That changed the middle of last year and he got back to being a stud in the pocket, because he could trust his OL.

Anyone saying Fisher is better just doesn't remember how masterful Mahomes was in the pocket and if Fisher would have been LT for us last year, then Mahomes would have been killed.

-King- 05-29-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16313390)
I just put him on ignore. Can't take reading the same uninformed opinion over and over.

I've also decided it's pointless to argue with all the idiots in the thread that can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that OBJ is going against guys that are also really ****ing good. The difference in talent between NFL caliber players is so small that even minor disadvantages become huge burdens. When Mahomes drops back 12 yards, then that makes Brown's job much more difficult. Edge rushers knew they could just go as fast as they could and pretty much go in a direct line to the QB without having to bend.

In Mahomes first couple of years he wasnt dropping back and bailing on the pocket immediately. He was a master of working in the pocket. That all changed the last part of 2020 when the interior OL was shit and he was getting pressure up the middle constantly and Geoff Schwartz even brought it up, because Mitchell Schwartz didn't look good. That changed the middle of last year and he got back to being a stud in the pocket, because he could trust his OL.

Anyone saying Fisher is better just doesn't remember how masterful Mahomes was in the pocket and if Fisher would have been LT for us last year, then Mahomes would have been killed.

Fisher was a good LT when we had Smith too though...

dlphg9 05-29-2022 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16313354)

First sack is on Remmers. If he doesn't get his shit pushed in and does what OBJ does, then Mahomes steps up into the pocket and it never happens.

Second sack Mahomes is like 11 yards deep.

dlphg9 05-29-2022 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16313391)
Fisher was a good LT when we had Smith too though...

He was decent, but he looked way worse because Alex Smith had no clue how to navigate a pocket. Alexsexuals would always whine that Smith needed a better line and that Fisher was awful.

-King- 05-29-2022 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16313411)
First sack is on Remmers. If he doesn't get his shit pushed in and does what OBJ does, then Mahomes steps up into the pocket and it never happens.

LMAO

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-29-2022 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16312642)

LMAO... Watch the Cincinnati game again when Thuney played LT... He nearly got Mahomes killed and picked...

TEX 05-29-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16313411)

This is a perfect example of how someone will absolutely ignore the obvious, when it's stairing them right in the face, in order to prove their point, no matter how wrong it is. I don't know what to tell you but you're not going to see a LT get beat worse than OBJ did. If you can't see that it's only because you don't want to. Sure Remmers was ass, but OBJ was worse.

OBJ was even worse than ass on the Garret sack.

IMO, we should try and sign OBJ but not at a price that makes him the highest paid LT in football.