ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320876)

ChiefoftheKeyboard 01-24-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14071105)
To be fair, it seems like Reid had his mind made up from the word go.

Ya I completely agree. I do however think that's a sign that he had/has a plan in place that he is now seeing through. Especially when you look at last years draft.

Monkey God 01-24-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 14071084)
Source? Associate/Assistant HC would not be a promotion?

It's all all over the web, and through the multiple threads. The Cowboys worded his contract so that the only move they cannot block is a HC position. And no the NFL doesn't view the Asst. HC title as a true promotion. NFL puts weight on actual duties vs. title. That is why even though he is not the Cowboys "DC" by title his duties are the same as that title and therefore only a HC job would be a promotion.

staylor26 01-24-2019 11:15 PM

When Spags had good defenses:

“It’s because of the talent!”

When Spags had bad defenses with little talent:

“It’s because of Spags!”

O.city 01-24-2019 11:15 PM

Venables looks good with all that 5 star talent running around.

I just don’t think the coordinator makes a whole hell of a lot of difference. Defense is more about the Jimmy’s and the joes

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-24-2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14071097)
Do you really think Reid was going to turn his defense over to a guy with no playcalling experience?

What is so anathema about it?

It's a risk, sure. But so was trading up to take Mahomes.

Risks are only acceptable on one side of the ball but not the other? Since when? Do you have intimate knowledge of Andy Reid's thought processes on this matter? Moreover, why must you agree with the decision?

You are literally making the true fan "don't draft a QB" argument. "Do you really think Carl Peterson would risk drafting a QB in the first round?" Ok, so he wouldn't because he wanted a team with a baseline of mediocrity. How was that decision in retrospect? How many titles did it get him?

ChiefoftheKeyboard 01-24-2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14071111)
Venables is also the 2nd highest paid assistant in CFB. 1.7 million per year, I think. I wanted him too, but don't think that was ever a realistic option. He's got it ****ing made at Clemson.

I agree. He was the most realistic, but that doesn't make it realistic overall. IMO spag and jack del rio should've been the most sought after for winning immediately. Kinda surprised no one has brought up del rio. I wouldn't have minded that. Familiar with the division too.

staylor26 01-24-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 14071124)

Risks are only acceptable on one side of the ball but not the other? Since when? Do you have intimate knowledge of Andy Reid's thought processes on this matter? Moreover, why must you agree with the decision?

You are literally making the true fan "don't draft a QB" argument. "Do you really think Carl Peterson would risk drafting a QB in the first round?" Ok, so he wouldn't because he wanted a team with a baseline of mediocrity. How was that decision in retrospect? How many titles did it get him?

These are two completely different things.

Teams trade up for QB’s every year, but you rarely see an offensive minded HC completely hand over one side of the ball to a guy that’s never been a DC and has no history with that HC.

Monkey God 01-24-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefoftheKeyboard (Post 14071126)
I agree. He was the most realistic, but that doesn't make it realistic overall. IMO spag and jack del rio should've been the most sought after for winning immediately. Kinda surprised no one has brought up del rio. I wouldn't have minded that. Familiar with the division too.

And Del Rio was never going to be hired in KC.

ChiefoftheKeyboard 01-24-2019 11:18 PM

What I am curious about, is to see what bust veach tries to go after next. Cam worked out, ragland has been meh. But I'd imagine there is a player or two out there not working out with his current team that could fit in our new front 7. Especially if we get rid of ford via tag and trade.

Mecca 01-24-2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 14071124)

I understand what you're saying I do, I just knew from minute 1 it wouldn't be a guy who had no experience.

O.city 01-24-2019 11:19 PM

Bob Sutton was good when he had talent.

Every defense around the league that’s good is stocked with talent. Sure, some guys can make the defense better than they are talent wise when they’re playing average QBs and offenses.

To beat the elites you’ve gotta have elite talent and good coaching

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-24-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14071122)
When Spags had good defenses:

“It’s because of the talent!”

When Spags had bad defenses with little talent:

“It’s because of Spags!”

Why don't you actually go back and read what I wrote instead of constructing a straw man.

He didn't wreck a Ferrari in New York. Great. That means nothing for what he can do in Kansas City. We also know that he can't do anything with lesser talent which he will have here, and that his past successes were in a league that doesn't exist anymore.

Why don't you explain to me what advantages Spagnuolo will bring to the Chiefs with the way he'll coordinate a defense in the modern league. If I'm the one, "bitching just to bitch," you should be able to offer a substantive counterargument as to his bonafides. Otherwise, you're homering just to homer.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-24-2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14071132)
I understand what you're saying I do, I just knew from minute 1 it wouldn't be a guy who had no experience.

Knowing what would happen doesn't make it the right decision.

O.city 01-24-2019 11:21 PM

I think this has been the plan for a while. The draft last year makes a hell of a lot more sense if they’re playing the 43 under I think.

Hopefully
Maybe

Hammock Parties 01-24-2019 11:21 PM

Offseason 'Hamas' has risen.

Hide the women and children.