ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Peacock exclusive playoff game is stupid (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351714)

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2024 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 17330582)
How is it a scam? If you’re such a mongoloid you can’t remember to monitor your purchases, come what may. Christ, set a calendar reminder and don’t be a lazy ****.

You’re forgetting the fact that you would’ve already paid for a full month because there is no free trial and that bars have to pay thousands just to access one game. For a game that always has been and always should be broadcast for free

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2024 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 17330106)
I know when it came to PPV events it depended on their seating capacity, so I'd imagine it's based on some model as that.

Not a bar owner so someone can correct me if I’m wrong but based on college rollouts it can be in the thousands based on how many TVs the bar has. Can’t exactly just buy 5 peacock subscriptions for 5 tv screens

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2024 08:13 AM

The principle of it isn’t that we are going to the poorhouse because we paid $6. It’s that the nfl believes they can pull this shit over on fans and benefit from it because we always just give in. Like when they flex a Sunday game to Monday one week before, as if people aren’t making travel plans and accommodations to watch it. And we know that the nfl would take this success and open it up to a gazillion different streaming platforms that would pay the price. Let’s get a subscription for prime, then peacock, then Apple TV, then sling, alone with a ppv Super Bowl or pro bowl. Or casually stripping away home games because they have to get an international game, nevermind that it takes revenue away from local businesses who depend on football bumps. And most times we’re powerless to stop any of that. It’s already happening in other sports.

Fans do have a limited choice here. Fans of other teams can choose not to watch. Fans of these teams can choose to just go to a sports bar (which still gives money to peacock, but will affect the ratings) or wait for the midnight rebroadcast. Fans of other teams can and probably will choose to just not watch it.

Chiefnj2 01-13-2024 08:21 AM

If this were any of the other wild card games would you subscribe, pay the $6 and cancel, or would you just say screw it “I will watch the highlights” Sunday morning? I wouldn’t pay extra to watch Cleveland or Tampa or Green Bay.

Seems to me the success or failure of this lies in the hands of Chiefs and Miami fans.

crayzkirk 01-13-2024 08:36 AM

It really seems no different than making fans pay $60 to park, $15 for a beer, $5 for a brat, etc. They just keep upping the prices and people keep paying. I think that eventually, it will collapse however it hasn't happened yet. I realize that I am not the target market any longer and none of the advertising is directed at me (although I do still look at the pretty women in most of them).

What will be the final straw? When will the camel finally say: that's enough? how much blood can you squeeze out of turnip? Seems like they are playing the owl in the tootsie pop commercial.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Greed ruined baseball and it will ruin football.

Mile High Mania 01-13-2024 08:37 AM

Started off with games only on Prime and that appears to have gone well. So now it’s the slow creep. I wonder what the Swift influence will be on the revenue draw tonight?

This wouldn’t be tried with Browns/Texans. There will be a SB PPV in my lifetime.

Mile High Mania 01-13-2024 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 17330659)
It really seems no different than making fans pay $60 to park, $15 for a beer, $5 for a brat, etc. They just keep upping the prices and people keep paying. I think that eventually, it will collapse however it hasn't happened yet. I realize that I am not the target market any longer and none of the advertising is directed at me (although I do still look at the pretty women in most of them).

What will be the final straw? When will the camel finally say: that's enough? how much blood can you squeeze out of turnip? Seems like they are playing the owl in the tootsie pop commercial.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Greed ruined baseball and it will ruin football.

That’s what will happen.

I make a good living, but with prices today, I will not take my family of five to a game. The kids have wanted to go, but it’s nonsensical to me to spend that kind of money.

The prices already lock out some fans. Take away watching the games from home for free and you’ll slash the bar and destroy loyalty.

Katipan 01-13-2024 08:40 AM

https://fortune.com/2024/01/10/nfl-r...ever-football/

This was written in January.

Really it was written when you ****heads got together and pooled your money for PPV Wrestlemania in the 80s

Straight, No Chaser 01-13-2024 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 17330581)
I activated this morning. The user interface is nice. Easily worth the subscription price for The Office alone.

I am surprised they didn’t line up some new movie releases with the Chiefs exclusive. I would be more inclined to keep the service if I first logged in and saw some big new movies available - the new Trolls movie for example.

I agree with Boomer sentiment here. Largely because the NFL definitely needs the cash.:rolleyes:

The workarounds, the streams, the pop-ups, the downloads... I'd rather just pay the 600+ pennies and fire up the Roku.

I was wondering about ads though... will the app let you replay stuff during commercials?

Rasputin 01-13-2024 08:44 AM

Figure it's still cheaper than going out to eat at a bar. 0 degrees also was a deciding factor.

Bearcat 01-13-2024 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 17330581)
I activated this morning. The user interface is nice. Easily worth the subscription price for The Office alone.

I am surprised they didn’t line up some new movie releases with the Chiefs exclusive. I would be more inclined to keep the service if I first logged in and saw some big new movies available - the new Trolls movie for example.

They have some good shows... and the Office Superfan episodes, plus Parks & Rec, The Good Place, Modern Family.

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2024 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 17330644)
If this were any of the other wild card games would you subscribe, pay the $6 and cancel, or would you just say screw it “I will watch the highlights” Sunday morning? I wouldn’t pay extra to watch Cleveland or Tampa or Green Bay.

Seems to me the success or failure of this lies in the hands of Chiefs and Miami fans.

I kind of think it will turn out different that the nfl assumed fans of all kinds, including swifties on a Saturday night, will be throwing money at this as if they don’t have other things to do. And maybe they’re right but I have a feeling the numbers will come out big because of the intrigue but then they’ll see the real numbers when we win and play buffalo and they’ll realize how many eyeballs they lost with this stunt

Delano 01-13-2024 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17330640)
The principle of it isn’t that we are going to the poorhouse because we paid $6. It’s that the nfl believes they can pull this shit over on fans and benefit from it because we always just give in. Like when they flex a Sunday game to Monday one week before, as if people aren’t making travel plans and accommodations to watch it. And we know that the nfl would take this success and open it up to a gazillion different streaming platforms that would pay the price. Let’s get a subscription for prime, then peacock, then Apple TV, then sling, alone with a ppv Super Bowl or pro bowl. Or casually stripping away home games because they have to get an international game, nevermind that it takes revenue away from local businesses who depend on football bumps. And most times we’re powerless to stop any of that. It’s already happening in other sports.

Fans do have a limited choice here. Fans of other teams can choose not to watch. Fans of these teams can choose to just go to a sports bar (which still gives money to peacock, but will affect the ratings) or wait for the midnight rebroadcast. Fans of other teams can and probably will choose to just not watch it.

Sounds like an entitled local that’s always been able to watch Chiefs games for free just because you live in a certain geographical area. For those of us who have always paid to see the Chiefs this is nothing new. I’d much rather have a model that allows me to purchase games ala carte instead of buying trash like Bears versus Seahawks or some boring shit via Sunday Ticket. I’ll treat this whopping 5.99 like a single game purchase and get a bunch of good quality bonus content.

crayzkirk 01-13-2024 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 17330712)
Sounds like an entitled local that’s always been able to watch Chiefs games for free just because you live in a certain geographical area. For those of us who have always paid to see the Chiefs this is nothing new. I’d much rather have a model that allows me to purchase games ala carte instead of buying trash like Bears versus Seahawks or some boring shit via Sunday Ticket. I’ll treat this whopping 5.99 like a single game purchase and get a bunch of good quality bonus content.

To me, paying 3/8 cent on every dollar spent in Kansas City sort of entitles me to watch the team that my hard earned dollars go to support. If you want to talk about unfair, how about all of the Kansas fans that get to watch for free and not pay a dime in support?

Anyways, this is just an exaggerated view. The fact that taxpayers, many of them poor, have to support a multi-billion dollar industry which many can't even begin to afford just is another example of how businesses stick it to the little guy. Cue George Carlin here...

Delano 01-13-2024 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 17330723)
To me, paying 3/8 cent on every dollar spent in Kansas City sort of entitles me to watch the team that my hard earned dollars go to support. If you want to talk about unfair, how about all of the Kansas fans that get to watch for free and not pay a dime in support?

Anyways, this is just an exaggerated view. The fact that taxpayers, many of them poor, have to support a multi-billion dollar industry which many can't even begin to afford just is another example of how businesses stick it to the little guy. Cue George Carlin here...

If you feel you’re not getting a return on your tax investment go ahead and vote.