ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Stop Eating Sugar (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257995)

Silock 06-02-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9726281)
As I previously posted, the Mayo Clinic and Web MD disagree with you. You are pushing snake oil. A fad diet.

The Mayo Clinic and WebMD aren't up to date on their research. I'm not trying to attack you. It's simply that research proves their assertions incorrect, and there is a LOT of it.

Metabolic rate increased after 48 hours of no food (not that anyone practicing Intermittent Fasting does this on any kind of regular basis):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

Metabolic rate increased in days 1-4 of 84 hrs without food (again, not something that a fasting diet teaches you to do, but it's sufficient to make the point):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

There are literally hundreds of peer-reviewed research papers you can find on places like Pubmed that have to do with fasting, its benefits (AND the negatives of it), and the results that people have with such diets. It very well may BE a "fad," but that doesn't make it ineffectual.

There are an incredibly large number of very smart people who have gone out of their way to research these kinds of diets very thoroughly, and they freely display the information, as well as links to all of the research so that you can see for yourself, on their websites. Alan Aragon, Martin Berkhan, Lyle McDonald . . . all great minds that support IF protocols. Alan Aragon was even offered the job as the team nutritionist for the L.A. Kings. A "snake oil" salesman he is not.

I'm simply saying that you should do a bit more research than just a cursory scan of the internet before making such declarative statements. We should all be perpetual students. And it's okay to be wrong. It's just not okay to continue to be obstinate in the face of evidence. And if newer, better research begins to come out that shows IF to be a bad thing, I'll have no choice but to agree. We haven't reached that point, though.

So, if you want, leangains.com, alanaragonblog.com, bodyrecomposition.com are all good places that you can go to easily and quickly find all kinds of scientific information showing why such diets work, how to do them properly and how to avoid the pitfalls of them.

Simply Red 06-02-2013 10:37 PM

webmd was sensationalized in the late nineties to be some dream company - it's basically turd now - they to Silock are what Jazzercise is to that Russian Military Pull-Up workout. I think their sister company crashed hard in 1 Healtheon.

listopencil 06-02-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9726273)
and again chiefzilla - I'm pooping like I own a country.

I think you were the one that suggested the shredded wheat to me. If so, thanks. Works like a charm. I eat the little ones with a good amount of cinnamon.

listopencil 06-02-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9726249)
Except that for the most part, to eat healthy, you have to spend a lot of money and often a lot of time (in order to prepare your own meals). For the busy person, especially one who works on a budget, this is not easy. It would be hella easier if there were fast food places or plenty of quick grocery options that weren't somehow tainted with salt and additives. Walk down the grocery aisle and you have to read a gazillion labels just to find something that's healthy for you.

Yeah, people need to take responsibility for their actions, but it shouldn't have to be as difficult as it is to make the right decisions. People don't have the time or patience for that.

Today I had a container of Odwalla berry juice, vanilla yogurt over sliced strawberries with cinnamon, two tuna sandwiches (mustard and sliced tomato/jalapeno/cucumber on high fiber toasted wheat bread) and a bowl of mini wheats cereal sprinkled with cinnamon. I did snack on some pan roasted unsalted peanuts.

chiefzilla1501 06-02-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9726370)
I think you were the one that suggested the shredded wheat to me. If so, thanks. Works like a charm. I eat the little ones with a good amount of cinnamon.

I bought a juicer. My magic formula is 2 apples, 2 pears

I almost shit out an actual boot.

listopencil 06-02-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9726375)
I bought a juicer. My magic formula is 2 apples, 2 pears

I almost shit out an actual boot.

Nice. I was thinking of getting a juicer. There are so many out there though and I don't want to get a crappy one. I'm going to do some research. And...good night.

Silock 06-02-2013 11:34 PM

I just eat oranges and apples. It slides out with no mess. It's kind of awesome.

MeatRock 06-02-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9726373)
Today I had a container of Odwalla berry juice, vanilla yogurt over sliced strawberries with cinnamon, two tuna sandwiches (mustard and sliced tomato/jalapeno/cucumber on high fiber toasted wheat bread) and a bowl of mini wheats cereal sprinkled with cinnamon. I did snack on some pan roasted unsalted peanuts.

High fiber makes for some tough tear jerking shits.

Hammock Parties 06-03-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9726283)
What periods of time were you fasting?

Eh, off and on. I didn't start doing it until I was sub 220. It has been instrumental in getting and staying around the 180 mark. It's a very valuable weight management tool if you like to eat shitty food. I just bought a package of chocolate covered oreos.

Hammock Parties 06-03-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9726277)
See my previous post citing the Mayo Clinic and Web MD, smart guy. I'm sure you know more than the top medical experts. :doh!:

I know what works for me. Fasting ****ing rocks.

RunKC 06-03-2013 12:40 AM

Eh, I am just at that point where I'm a little overweight. I'm 5'10" 200 lbs.

Doesn't sound very big, but I am a little overweight. I run often, but I eat horribly. Soda's junk food (hmmm T Bell), snacks like little debbies and doughnuts are my absolute weakness. I can't quit them and don't know how to substitute it.
I can lose weight fairly fast because I like to run about 10 miles a week as a stress reliever, but I gain it all back. I simply can't keep my weight down consistently.

Hammock Parties 06-03-2013 12:42 AM

Then try fasting, mi amigo.

And I would absolutely dump the sugary soda regardless of all else.

RunKC 06-03-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9726409)
Then try fasting, mi amigo.

And I would absolutely dump the sugary soda regardless of all else.

What is a good substitute for soda?

Hammock Parties 06-03-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9726427)
What is a good substitute for soda?

Diet soda.

RunKC 06-03-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9726428)
Diet soda.

I gotcha. What are some good diet soda's that don't taste like shit?

FWIW I love Pepsi next and it has 60% less sugar and like half the calories. I might stick to that.