ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Killer apps for Android? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237705)

BigMeatballDave 06-21-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8693267)
Has anyone here partitioned their SD card? Any pointers? Seems like a fairly straight forward process.

I ordered a class 10, 16 GB Amazon Basics sd card today; gonna' partition that bitch and get some extra juice up in here.

I've never tried it. Didn't wanna risk formatting the card and losing everything.

vailpass 06-21-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8693277)
I've never tried it. Didn't wanna risk formatting the card and losing everything.

Yeah I'm gonna' back it all up on the PC first, then have at it.

BigMeatballDave 06-21-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8693298)
Yeah I'm gonna' back it all up on the PC first, then have at it.

What are the benefits?

vailpass 06-21-2012 02:24 PM

From what I hear and read it lets you store 100% of Apps on SD instead of partial apps, higher class card runs faster, lets your phone run faster and smoother.

From Android Forums:
...the issue is that the evo has a small amount of ram on the phone. not sure what htc was thinking when designing the evo. but there is the apps2sd that can be sort of helpful. when you go to settings/applications/manage apps and then move the apps to the sd card, you are using apps2sd. it moves the apps to the sd card, but it only moves part of the app to the card. the other part is still left on the phone. that is why you can't use any widgets attached to the app when it is moved to the card.

so what is taking up all of the ram then? well your phone, as it is, has the dalvik cache which the phone uses to load any executable files that it needs. and then there is cache where your temp files are stored. of course there is your apps. and finally there is the stock rom with sense 1.0. so you can see how fast your ram will disappear.

the only way to get around this is to be rooted. the custom roms that are out now are much smaller and faster then the stock rom. plus you can partition your card and use a2sd which is different then apps2sd. a2sd moves the entire app to your card. the only thing left on your phone is a symbolic link that tells the phone where to find the app on your card. it saves a ton of ram by doing this. just to give you an idea i have 160 apps with still 250mb left!

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-...d-edition.html

vailpass 06-21-2012 02:28 PM

Oh, and perhaps the main benefit is it gives me something else to play with on my phone.

BigMeatballDave 06-21-2012 02:29 PM

This is a great idea for the EVO or other phones with minimal storage for apps. Thats the biggest knock on the EVO.

The GS2 gives you 2+g just for app storage.

BigMeatballDave 06-21-2012 02:32 PM

I'm not as eager to run custom Roms on my phone now that I have an official ICS build from Samsung.

Its faster than any custom Rom I've run on this phone.

vailpass 06-21-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8693383)
I'm not as eager to run custom Roms on my phone now that I have an official ICS build from Samsung.

Its faster than any custom Rom I've run on this phone.

Taken the king's salt have you?

BigMeatballDave 06-21-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8693655)
Taken the king's salt have you?

:hmmm: You've lost me...

vailpass 06-21-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8693668)
:hmmm: You've lost me...

:D Just messing about....giving you shit for turning back to the establishment...

DaFace 06-21-2012 06:32 PM

If anyone's interested, Swiftkey 3 was released today. It's half-price at the various stores for a while, or it's a free update for anyone who bought Swiftkey X.

BigMeatballDave 06-21-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8693701)
:D Just messing about....giving you shit for turning back to the establishment...

Ha.

I'm hoping the guys at XDA get a solid version of CM9 soon, since an official build of ICS has been released.

BigMeatballDave 06-21-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8693830)
If anyone's interested, Swiftkey 3 was released today. It's half-price at the various stores for a while, or it's a free update for anyone who bought Swiftkey X.

Good looking out.

I like this. I hadn't used Swiftkey in awhile. Been using the ICS keyboard.

This is free to those who already have Swiftkey X.

DaFace 06-21-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8693847)
Good looking out.

I like this. I hadn't used Swiftkey in awhile. Been using the ICS keyboard.

This is free to those who already have Swiftkey X.

I've always liked SwiftKey. The new update is fairly minor, but it's nice to have a few new features.

vailpass 06-22-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8693841)
Ha.

I'm hoping the guys at XDA get a solid version of CM9 soon, since an official build of ICS has been released.

Yeah looks like CM9 is in the works...