ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Berry thinking about and checking into surgery (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321189)

htismaqe 02-07-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 14096337)
It is based on when he files the retirement paperwork. After June 1 still works but it can't be designated like a cut can (I don't think, not sure).

It appears it can't be designated. He'd have to actually retire after June 1st.

htismaqe 02-07-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 14096357)
If he plans to not play he could let KC cut him with post June 1 designation and not sign with anyone else and file his retirement papers later in the year.

They could also cut him and he could sign somewhere else and just not retire, I would imagine.

It's all a big freaking mess. They need to just cut him and move on.

Frazod 02-07-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14095804)
Why the **** has it taken this long?

What the **** has he been doing?

Making sure he can get paid for another year of doing absolutely nothing.

jjchieffan 02-07-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14096091)
You guys do know that if he retires, he still counts against the cap, right?

Well. yeah. But if he retires for what should be considered a non-football injury, then he could be required to pay back the prorated portion of his signing bonus. That would help the cap.

saphojunkie 02-07-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14096265)
Right. Berry Sanders retired after the 1998 season. He missed the entire 1999 season and an arbitrator didn't rule on his case until FEBRUARY 2000.

Even then, the arbitrator ruled he had to pay back $1.8M of his $11M signing bonus (1999).

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...022-story.html

Berry retiring does not help the Chiefs. At all.

You're not quite getting this right.

If Berry retires right now, then yes, it is built into the CBA that he will have to give back a portion of his signing bonus. It doesn't take two years to figure out, because this is literally just de facto league rules now.

If he retires June 1, it is actually BETTER for the team than cutting him, because not only does the cap hit spread out over this year and next, same as a June 1 cut, but the returned prorated signing bonus would give extra cap relief, as well.

The BEST thing that can happen is Berry has the surgery and returns to 100% playing ability, finishes out his contract by helping win a Super Bowl, signs another massive deal elsewhere, and the Chiefs recover a comp pick.

I'm rooting for surgery to fix the Haglund's.

htismaqe 02-07-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 14096381)
Well. yeah. But if he retires for what should be considered a non-football injury, then he could be required to pay back the prorated portion of his signing bonus. That would help the cap.

Not immediately. See previous posts about the Chiefs recovering the signing bonus. It will take several years and won't even start until after he's missed at a full season.

saphojunkie 02-07-2019 04:46 PM

By the way, with three years left on the deal, Berry would have $12M in signing bonus that is up for grabs. That's quite a lot.

htismaqe 02-07-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14096389)
If Berry retires right now, then yes, it is built into the CBA that he will have to give back a portion of his signing bonus. It doesn't take two years to figure out, because this is literally just de facto league rules now.

Where is it spelled out because I'm not finding that at all.

saphojunkie 02-07-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14096392)
Not immediately. See previous posts about the Chiefs recovering the signing bonus. It will take several years and won't even start until after he's missed at a full season.

Again, you're only using the very first example of this as your timeline basis.

jjchieffan 02-07-2019 04:49 PM

Also, doesn't his 2019 salary become fully guaranteed in March? Him retiring would wipe that out. I don't see it happening. I hope that he gets the surgery and comes back strong as ever. But him standing on the sideline all season while safety was by far our worst position group was frustrating. I really wish that Hunt hadn't stepped in and just let him walk after his contract was up. I love Berry. He WAS great. But now, he's just a salary cap killer doing more harm to the team than good.

htismaqe 02-07-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14096397)
Again, you're only using the very first example of this as your timeline basis.

It's the most prevalent example. I'm having a hard time finding any specifics at all, other than Sanders, that's what I'm trying to tell you.

jjchieffan 02-07-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14096389)
You're not quite getting this right.

If he retires June 1, it is actually BETTER for the team than cutting him, because not only does the cap hit spread out over this year and next, same as a June 1 cut, but the returned prorated signing bonus would give extra cap relief, as well.

The BEST thing that can happen is Berry has the surgery and returns to 100% playing ability, finishes out his contract by helping win a Super Bowl, signs another massive deal elsewhere, and the Chiefs recover a comp pick.

I'm rooting for surgery to fix the Haglund's.

I'm pretty sure that his salary for 2019 will be fully guaranteed in March. Now, hopefully a June 1 retirement would somehow negate that. But I'm not sure. That would add even more dead cap space. I would hate to see him retire and collect for a 3rd straight season of doing nothing.

crispystl 02-07-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 14096398)
Also, doesn't his 2019 salary become fully guaranteed in March? Him retiring would wipe that out. I don't see it happening. I hope that he gets the surgery and comes back strong as ever. But him standing on the sideline all season while safety was by far our worst position group was frustrating. I really wish that Hunt hadn't stepped in and just let him walk after his contract was up. I love Berry. He WAS great. But now, he's just a salary cap killer doing more harm to the team than good.

He was also a HUGE ****ing distraction the majority of the season too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bowener 02-07-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 14096421)
He was also a HUGE ****ing distraction the majority of the season too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To YOU. Not to THE TEAM. Big ****ing difference. You do not matter at all. I do not matter at all. The team loves him. Ownership loves him. Your feelings don't mean dick in any of this so you might as well get over a player being injured.

Easy 6 02-07-2019 05:15 PM

Whatever man, I'm so over that guy

If Veach wants to keep him another year to see if we can maybe get 8 games out of him then fine... but only on the condition that we approach the draft and free agency as if the guy never existed

He cannot be counted on, so proceed accordingly