ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Fruit Juice....just as bad for you as soda. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281443)

ReynardMuldrake 02-13-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10431306)
The thing that people miss in the calories in and out debate is that as long as you aren't over your calorie expenditure in terms of what you take in, a normal person can eat anything they want and not worry about weight or insulin resistance or any of that stuff.

In my experience, that's simply not true. I followed that advice my entire life and never had any success. Whenever I tried losing weight by traditional methods, like portion control, calorie counting, eating a low-fat, multigrain, healthy diet, and daily exercise, I've never had any success. I might lose five pounds, but stall every time. And I was miserable. I finally switched to low-carb, no sugar diet in December and have lost about 30 lbs in 2 months so far. And that's with NO calorie counting and NO exercise. I just eat till I'm full. And I feel much happier.

I can't say how your body works, but speaking for myself, the composition of the food I eat makes all the difference in the world. I'm convinced that my sugar intake is the reason I've stayed fat all these years.

Silock 02-13-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 10431453)
In my experience, that's simply not true. I followed that advice my entire life and never had any success. Whenever I tried losing weight by traditional methods, like portion control, calorie counting, eating a low-fat, multigrain, healthy diet, and daily exercise, I've never had any success. I might lose five pounds, but stall every time. And I was miserable. I finally switched to low-carb, no sugar diet in December and have lost about 30 lbs in 2 months so far. And that's with NO calorie counting and NO exercise. I just eat till I'm full. And I feel much happier.

I can't say how your body works, but speaking for myself, the composition of the food I eat makes all the difference in the world. I'm convinced that my sugar intake is the reason I've stayed fat all these years.

It's because you're eating less calories. Proteins and fats are more difficult to eat in higher quantities. It has nothing to do with sugar. There are lots of studies that show the low carb high protein dieters to simply eat fewer calories even when allowed to ad lib their diets. I guarantee that if you were truly eating fewer calories than you burned, you would have lost weight, even if you only ate pixie sticks. Many people simply don't know how many calories hey really need and end up overestimating. I do think it's easier to lose weight on a low carb diet simply because it's more difficult to eat too much. It's still possible, though.

Rausch 02-13-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10431026)
Obviously, nobody should drink copious amounts of sugar, but the thread title is really an obscene generalization. Soda has no redeeming qualities, while fruit juice has many beneficial ingredients.

THis.

While cranberry juice has a number of benefits it almost always comes drenched in sugar to improve the taste...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-13-2014 12:53 PM

I prefer sweets to juice. Juice got cut long ago.

Sannyasi 02-13-2014 01:04 PM

I don't disagree with the article in practice, because I cut out fruit juice from my diet a long time ago, but it engages in such obvious hyperbole.

I guess they figured an article titled "Most Fruit Juices have a lot of Calories and you may want to be Careful about how much you Drink" wouldn't generate the number of clicks they were looking for.

Stewie 02-13-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10430330)
Only drink 100% juice not from concentrate, absolutely no HFCS.

But so damn expensive.

Most often, I make lemonade from squeezed lemon and sugar, then mix it with Lipton brewed tea for Arnold Palmers.

The Aldi fresh squeezed OJ is $2.39 for a half gallon. I can't tell the difference between it and the national brands. Plus, it lasts much longer than the concentrate stuff which starts to get a bitter funk pretty quickly.

I'm not a sweet tooth but I like my OJ with breakfast. I keep it to about a 1/2 cup serving.

RippedmyFlesh 02-13-2014 03:43 PM

I was obese at 290 and had health issues. I started my diet with being very strict about liquids just water, coffee and tea.And had to stop drinking liquor which sucked. I didn't cut down that much on food and in a year went from 290 to 220. It was way easier to have will power over what I drank than what I ate.

ChiefRocka 02-13-2014 03:48 PM

My daily drinkers are POM and Bolthouse carrot juice

RippedmyFlesh 02-13-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10431306)
The thing that people miss in the calories in and out debate is that as long as you aren't over your calorie expenditure in terms of what you take in, a normal person can eat anything they want and not worry about weight or insulin resistance or any of that stuff.

My Dr was all about cal in/out concerning weight but always added that the quality of the calories will determine how you feel. True if you use up all of calories for the day on snickers bars you won't gain more weight than an equal # of calories of healthy food. But you will prob feel like crap.